NATION

PASSWORD

Rape Thread [SAFE SPACE - Mod Enforced]

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed May 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Homosexy wrote:Last Saturday, I became a victim and now a survivor of a rape.

Holy shit that sucks. Platitudes seem insufficient, but I felt that needed to be acknowledged.

You know, I had a bunch of responses, but as I keep looking at them they're all kind of bullshit. I'm just regurgitating shit I've heard.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Wed May 02, 2012 6:09 pm

Kurica wrote:
Lud Ziemi wrote:
The ignorance of some people is absolutely disgusting.

That doesn't answer my question.

Hydesland wrote:
Apply that to yourself, if you got raped do you honestly think that you would find that no more traumatic than 'a game of stop hitting yourself'?

Astrolinium wrote:
I'm told it's less like "stop hitting yourself" and more "Hey, I'm going to punch you very hard in a very private, personal area. With my penis. And take away all control you have over your own body."

Okay, that's a bad thing but why do people hold it to be as bad/worse than murder or other crimes that have lasting physical and psychological effects on their victims?

Pottslande wrote:
Ignoring troll in 5...

I'm asking a legitimate question. Please stop trying to act like a politically-correct hugbox for a minute.

I knew after reading the OP that somebody would eventually troll this thread. So much for being a safe thread.

Yaltabaoth
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaltabaoth » Wed May 02, 2012 6:21 pm

Homosexy, you have my deepest condolences, and my admiration for how well you seem to be holding up.
:hug:
Stay strong and brave, I sincerely hope they catch him.

Kurica
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurica » Wed May 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Kurica wrote:Okay, that's a bad thing but why do people hold it to be as bad/worse than murder or other crimes that have lasting physical and psychological effects on their victims?

I'm asking a legitimate question. Please stop trying to act like a politically-correct hugbox for a minute.

Why is stapling your finger to a block of wood bad? Why is jamming an icepick into someone's ear bad? Why is waterboarding someone bad, it's not like they DIE from it?

Those are all unpleasant things that can happen. I get that rape isn't pleasant by why is it bad enough that we should even consider things like this:
Galloism wrote:
Homosexy wrote:Lemme rephrase that. He'd be castrated, locked in a little box for a couple weeks, and then set on fire.

You can do worse.

"I had an unpleasant encounter because of you, you deserve to die a horrible painful death."

Why is it okay to want this for rapists but not terrorists, murderers, etc?

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed May 02, 2012 6:40 pm

Kurica wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Why is stapling your finger to a block of wood bad? Why is jamming an icepick into someone's ear bad? Why is waterboarding someone bad, it's not like they DIE from it?

Those are all unpleasant things that can happen. I get that rape isn't pleasant by why is it bad enough that we should even consider things like this:
Galloism wrote:You can do worse.

"I had an unpleasant encounter because of you, you deserve to die a horrible painful death."

You'd be surprised to find out other people think the same when it comes to the topics you list... :roll:

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Wed May 02, 2012 6:40 pm

Kurica wrote:Why is it okay to want this for rapists but not terrorists, murderers, etc?

Many people think it's okay to want such things for all three groups there.

Perhaps it would be best to address why you were trivializing rape instead of bypassing the issue in favor of feigned concern over what treatment rapists should get in the eyes of others?

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed May 02, 2012 6:41 pm

Kurica wrote:

I'm ok with people wanting or imagining whatever eases their mind.

I'm not ok with them acting on it or putting it into law. There is a difference.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Ravineworld
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravineworld » Wed May 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Cromarty wrote:
Ravineworld wrote:If women carry a $50 pistol with them, when someone makes a move, they can blow their potential rapist's brains out.
Problem solved.

Ravineworld wrote:Or rehabilitate him and allow for him to contribute to society

How do you reconcile these two statements?

If person defends themselves, it is not an act of justice. It is the prevention of aggression.
Justice is fixing people. For the betterment of society, not for revenge.
An explanation of the two party system in the US: Heads they win (republicans, the conservative corporate sellouts), Tails we (the people) lose (to the liberal corporate sell outs)
I am against war created by state. I am an anarcho-mutualist

Proud player of the great game of rugby!

Running Dog Capitalists
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Running Dog Capitalists » Wed May 02, 2012 6:48 pm

Homosexy wrote:Last Saturday, I became a victim and now a survivor of a rape. Before this, I did not know about this world that I would soon be thrown into where more than 3 out of the 10 people I told, replied with "me too". Where the 1 in 5 girls in the United States statistic becomes a real thing. So I'm becoming very passionate about the topic, and would like to use NSG as an opportunity to discuss the topic, try to raise awareness, and finally just kind of try to figure out why it has to happen, and how we can remedy it. I'm coming out with it, as soon as I am, because I want to put a name and a face to the statistic, and bring in my raw, week old experience, to do something about it.

Here are some questions to discuss:

There's a scene in a version of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo where the rape scene is very graphic. Should it be allowed in there?
Why is it that girls and men are so ashamed when they've been raped? Why is it such a taboo subject? Should it be talked about more than it already is?
Are the forms of awareness that we're using now working?

Anything else that people want to throw in, go ahead. I only ask that people are respectful and think before you speak, because there may be survivors and victims reading this, and I don't want to be responsible for anything too traumatic. This is a safe space. If you don't have something nice or productive to say, don't say it at all.

First let me say that I am very sorry that you experienced what you experienced. No one should have that happen to them.

Second, let me applaud the fact that you are coming out and forcing people to deal with this issue. Many do not because they feel that it is a shame that they must hide. But, I must say, I believe they are free to hide it if they feel they must for their own sake.

Third. No censorship on this matter is to be tolerated. Any movie or story that depicts it should be allowed. It is real and it exists. Denial that it does doesn't do anyone any good. Everyone needs to know the pain and suffering that comes from this act. It hurts us all.

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Wed May 02, 2012 6:52 pm

Kurica wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Why is stapling your finger to a block of wood bad? Why is jamming an icepick into someone's ear bad? Why is waterboarding someone bad, it's not like they DIE from it?

Kurica
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurica » Wed May 02, 2012 6:53 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Kurica wrote:Those are all unpleasant things that can happen. I get that rape isn't pleasant by why is it bad enough that we should even consider things like this:

You'd be surprised to find out other people think the same when it comes to the topics you list... :roll:

Obviously. There are people that want fans of MLP to die horrible deaths too but when it comes to rapists there are is a large majority wanting harsh punishments and a very small minority going "guys that's not right".

Ganos Lao wrote:
Kurica wrote:Why is it okay to want this for rapists but not terrorists, murderers, etc?

Many people think it's okay to want such things for all three groups there.

Perhaps it would be best to address why you were trivializing rape instead of bypassing the issue in favor of feigned concern over what treatment rapists should get in the eyes of others?

I cannot tell you how much I love having a justice system that hands out harsh punishments just because some people are upset. There is no reason for rape to be on par with murder.

Homosexy
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Homosexy » Wed May 02, 2012 6:55 pm

Kurica wrote:

It's okay to want it for murderers and terrorists too.

Rape is not just an unpleasant encounter. I'm not gonna go explaining what happened in detail, because no one wants to hear that, and I've had to repeat the events more times than I would like to and I'm still not done repeating it for the authorities. However, not only was the event itself emotionally and physically painful, but it leaves survivors/victims scarred for the rest of their lives, and the weeks after the actual event are the worst of their lives, especially if it goes to trial.
Hii!! My name is Shellby. Yes, I am a girl. Yes, that is me in my flag. :)
There's only us. There's only this. Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other road, no other way. No day but today.
Love and expression, not hate and oppression!!~

Kurica
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurica » Wed May 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Galloism wrote:
Kurica wrote:"I had an unpleasant encounter because of you, you deserve to die a horrible painful death."

I'm ok with people wanting or imagining whatever eases their mind.

I'm not ok with them acting on it or putting it into law. There is a difference.

I can respect that.
You are probably the best person in this thread right now, thank you for not stooping to insults and/or dodging the question. :bow:

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Wed May 02, 2012 6:57 pm

Homosexy wrote:
Kurica wrote:

It's okay to want it for murderers and terrorists too.

Rape is not just an unpleasant encounter. I'm not gonna go explaining what happened in detail, because no one wants to hear that, and I've had to repeat the events more times than I would like to and I'm still not done repeating it for the authorities. However, not only was the event itself emotionally and physically painful, but it leaves survivors/victims scarred for the rest of their lives, and the weeks after the actual event are the worst of their lives, especially if it goes to trial.

I'd imagine not least of all because of people asking questions like "why should anybody care about rape?"
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Wed May 02, 2012 7:08 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:Nah. Send them to rapist prison, where they only use body gel in showers and it's nailed to the floor.

Ah, because rape is funny when it happens to prisoners. :palm: Three wrongs make a left or some logic like that?

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Wed May 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:Nah. Send them to rapist prison, where they only use body gel in showers and it's nailed to the floor.

Ah, because rape is funny when it happens to prisoners. :palm: Three wrongs make a left or some logic like that?

When it happens to rapists, I don't actually care one little bit. Can you hear that? The sound of the world's smallest violin, playing for all the rapists of the world?
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos

Ende
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ende » Wed May 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:

Some people don't deserve compassion.

So yes, rape is funny when it happens to rapists.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed May 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Ende wrote:
Tahar Joblis wrote:Ah, because rape is funny when it happens to prisoners. :palm: Three wrongs make a left or some logic like that?

Some people don't deserve compassion.

No, it isn't. Rape is never funny. Period. End of sentence.

Just because they committed a vile act does not mean they deserve to have that vile act thrust upon them. That would make us no better than them. Our job is to make them into better people, not perform tit for tat punishments.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed May 02, 2012 7:17 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:
Tahar Joblis wrote:Ah, because rape is funny when it happens to prisoners. :palm: Three wrongs make a left or some logic like that?

When it happens to rapists, I don't actually care one little bit. Can you hear that? The sound of the world's smallest violin, playing for all the rapists of the world?

So if someone has a rap sheet, we shouldn't pursue an investigation when a crime is performed against them?

What a shitty way to manage a justice system.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Ende
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ende » Wed May 02, 2012 7:18 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Ende wrote:Some people don't deserve compassion.

No, it isn't. Rape is never funny. Period. End of sentence.

Just because they committed a vile act does not mean they deserve to have that vile act thrust upon them. That would make us no better than them. Our job is to make them into better people, not perform tit for tat punishments.

You're right. Rape isn't actually funny. Ever.

But I don't give a shit if it happens to rapists.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Wed May 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:

An eye for an eye ad all that. Don't much care for that philosophy in 99.9% of cases. Rape is the exception. A rapist getting raped makes them realize just how shitty a person they are for what they did. Prison rape is really the main reason that I feel that rapists shouldn't get the death sentence in most cases. A lifetime of prison rape is much more humiliating and painful.

think Sublime sumed up my feelings on this.
Last edited by The Corparation on Wed May 02, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Wed May 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:

So if someone has a rap sheet, we shouldn't pursue an investigation when a crime is performed against them?

What a shitty way to manage a justice system.

If somebody feels like investigating it, sure, why not. Don't expect me to care one iota, though, because you're asking the impossible. Rapists are human garbage, so I'm not particularly concerned about their daily struggles, living with being rapist scum and the antithesis of decent human beings.

Also, Bonobos

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Wed May 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Kurica wrote:I cannot tell you how much I love having a justice system that hands out harsh punishments just because some people are upset. There is no reason for rape to be on par with murder.

And I cannot tell you how much I love people feigning interest in how the justice system treats those under its wing in the hopes people will conveniently forget about the fact you attempted to trivialize rape and its effects on those who go through it.

In your own words:

Kurica wrote:Why is rape bad?

As long as no one gets any diseases/pregnancies/isn't permanently injured how is that bad? It seems about as traumatic as a game of "stop hitting yourself"

The fact you had to say such things is pretty sad, bro. You really need to rethink your stance.

Kurica wrote:
Galloism wrote:I'm ok with people wanting or imagining whatever eases their mind.

I can respect that.
You are probably the best person in this thread right now, thank you for not stooping to insults and/or dodging the question. :bow:

And it's not insulting to trivialize what rape victims go through? It's not dodging the question when people ask you why you trivialized it?
Last edited by Ganos Lao on Wed May 02, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Yaltabaoth
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaltabaoth » Wed May 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Kurica wrote:

Kurica, I'd like to ask you to reconsider your involvement in this thread.

Rape is not merely "unpleasant" and your trivialisation is offensive.

From what I can gather from Homosexy's posts, she was (spoilered so Homosexy doesn't have to read my re-cap):

abducted by a stranger against her will, taken to an unfamiliar location, violently sexually violated against her will, and led to believe that resistance would end in her death.
Since that experience she's undergone intrusive medical examinations and had to relive and repeat the experience several times to law enforcement officials, and will have to do so again.

If he's not caught, she will have to live with the knowledge that he's out there somewhere still, and could potentially attack her again, or attack another woman in a similar manner.
If they find the guy and he denies the charge, she will then have to face him in court in an adversarial manner, and be subjected to further intrusive questioning about her activities, and in all likelihood a bunch of irrelevant shit such as what she was wearing etc.
Even if he is caught and tried, he may not be found guilty, in which case he's free AND he knows that she reported the incident.

She has also been dis-believed by friends who should be offering her comfort instead.
And nothing will ever un-do what was done to her, that's with her for the rest of her life.

If you still think that is merely "unpleasant", I can only conclude that you are, in fact, trolling.
Even if you're serious, Homosexy has asked that this be a safe thread, and I really don't think you're respecting that.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed May 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Ende wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:No, it isn't. Rape is never funny. Period. End of sentence.

You're right. Rape isn't actually funny. Ever.

But I don't give a shit if it happens to rapists.

Which is stupid. That rapist could have repented his evil ways and assisted at battered women shelters, apologized formally to his victim, and done countless other consolatory acts. Simply because he performed one evil act, no matter how evil it is, does not make him deserving of being the target of another.

@}-;-'---

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General