NATION

PASSWORD

Ridiculous School Rules

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:42 pm

http://www.uscourts.gov/EducationalReso ... dents.aspx

Tinker v. Des Moines (1969)
Goss v. Lopez (1975)

The statement that students have NO constitutional rights is an out and out lie. They do.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Cill Charthaigh wrote:
Durmatagno wrote:
I go to a new tech, the principal snapped and made his own rules on top of stupid district ones (In a fire TAKS Tests, now STARS, are more importent then the lives of the students, the teacher has to have them in order to leave the classroom, even during a fire) and if I sue I don't get the free MacBook when I graduate, and it'll cost more in lawyers than I'm ever likely to earn here, all the parents supports uniforms, the district & school rules. BLAH BLAH BLAH

The teachers don't even know what might be on the STAAR test. what.

But I fear I detect...sarcasm?

Actually no, the teachers in my district have been told (Luckily I'm still on TAKS thanks to being a sophomore) that state administered tests are required to be with the teachers anytime the leave the room, period, unless a sub is present for them, so thus it has been ruled that even in a fire, unless the papers are already burned (Consequences for the entire class there), they have to be the first thing the teacher gets out, even before us. Yeah, I'm in Texas
When we lose one we love, our bitterest tears are called forth by the memory of hours when we loved not enough. - Maurice Maeterlinck

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. - Washington Irving

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get. - Confucius

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Pmea wrote:As a sophomore in high school, obviously I think quite a few rules are unnecessary. But this time, they just went too far. Now to leave the classroom for any reason, a student must have a signed pass. This really gets to me during my last class of the day, which is literally right across the hall from bathrooms, water fountains, and my locker. Students here usually just complain, but they might actually do something about this. Thoughts?

I had that before. I don't really see what the problem is. Just get the signed pass? And if it's that close, then they won't notice you.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Lizardiar
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:46 pm

One of my Three. THREE. Vice principals called me in to speak with him about the new school policies (No eating outside of cafeteria, snacks int he machines are to be locked during school hours, no outside beverages, no clubs selling food to raise money, and no clubs selling shirts) He asked several to come in, each in private. When he asked me, I gave him advice. Advice I did not get in trouble for, which I was most surprised at.

If you want us to be like a herd, put converyor belts in the halls, put blinders on us so we do nothing but go to class, have an officer in every class if you want to perfectly control all the students, and feed us nothing but bread and water, since all the other food categories are bad for kids in one way or another.
In all corners of the globe, the free people's slogan is this:
Speak to Fascists in the language of fire! With words of bullets! With sharp wit of bayonets!

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.41

Lizardiar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Katganistan wrote:http://www.uscourts.gov/EducationalResources/ConstitutionResources/LegalLandmarks/LandmarkSupremeCourtCasesAboutStudents.aspx

Goss v. Lopez (1975)

The statement that students have NO constitutional rights is an out and out lie. They do.

Again, I was quoting my law text book, created in the year 2000. I didn't say it was true, i stated what we were told and instructed upon.
Speak to Fascists in the language of fire! With words of bullets! With sharp wit of bayonets!

Heterodox Economists
Envoy

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heterodox Economists » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Katganistan wrote:http://www.uscourts.gov/EducationalResources/ConstitutionResources/LegalLandmarks/LandmarkSupremeCourtCasesAboutStudents.aspx

Goss v. Lopez (1975)

Students have some constitutional rights, but they are lackluster when compared to the rights full adults receive. I believe under the new cyber bullying laws for example school staff are not only allowed to confiscate students property, but they can also go through it, such as phone messages. Adults of course are treated in a much different way, as adults even have the right to refuse to be searched by law enforcement personnel, let alone have property confiscated without a proper investigation.
Ben is a right social libertarian:
Economic: Right 5.16
Social: Libertarian 9.45
Foreign Policy: Non-interventionist -10.00
Cultural Identification: Liberal 6.21

Kirrig
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kirrig » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Lizardiar wrote:One of my Three. THREE. Vice principals called me in to speak with him about the new school policies (No eating outside of cafeteria, snacks int he machines are to be locked during school hours, no outside beverages, no clubs selling food to raise money, and no clubs selling shirts) He asked several to come in, each in private. When he asked me, I gave him advice. Advice I did not get in trouble for, which I was most surprised at.

If you want us to be like a herd, put converyor belts in the halls, put blinders on us so we do nothing but go to class, have an officer in every class if you want to perfectly control all the students, and feed us nothing but bread and water, since all the other food categories are bad for kids in one way or another.

Three? Pff, we have four., although one is superior to the other three and stands in for the heamaster when he is absent. Plus six deans.

Are you allowed outside much?
Daistallia 2104 wrote:Kirrig, since you seem to be unable to take hints, allow me make it explicitly clear - you are being ignored.

"Have you ever noticed... our caps... they have skulls on them..."
"Hans... are we the baddies?"
Milks Empire wrote:
Kirrig wrote:Do you guys know if George Bush is on NSG?
Wouldn't surprise me.

Lizardiar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Kirrig wrote:
Lizardiar wrote:One of my Three. THREE. Vice principals called me in to speak with him about the new school policies (No eating outside of cafeteria, snacks int he machines are to be locked during school hours, no outside beverages, no clubs selling food to raise money, and no clubs selling shirts) He asked several to come in, each in private. When he asked me, I gave him advice. Advice I did not get in trouble for, which I was most surprised at.

Three? Pff, we have four., although one is superior to the other three and stands in for the heamaster when he is absent. Plus six deans.

We're allowed to the bus drop-off. We have two benches and only 6 students are allowed out at any time, and they must have an officer out with them, Not a rent-a-cop, an actual police officer tasked with school security.

Arkotania
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkotania » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:54 pm

My school doesn't allow facial hair. I've always wanted a goatee...

I think my school's rules are a bit worse compared to others usually due to the fact my school is private. It's pretty damn hard to argue the rules since they just ignore our complaints.

I think students need a Union. Only if we could take legal action, then schools would soon fear our wrath.
Mostly back from a long hiatus from the forums
Arkania 5 wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Matt Ward

No.

Nononononononononono

Gauthier wrote:
Arkotania wrote:
Then your testicles become strange tentacles.

And then you make films in Japan.

Ovisterra wrote:
Oceanic people wrote:where lives are at steak

I try not to point out people's spelling errors all the time, but this one was brilliant.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Or maybe NS is also a degraded society.

This. Definitely this.

Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab(Arkotania Puppet) wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

Kirrig
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kirrig » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Lizardiar wrote:
Kirrig wrote:

We're allowed to the bus drop-off. We have two benches and only 6 students are allowed out at any time, and they must have an officer out with them, Not a rent-a-cop, an actual police officer tasked with school security.

Now that is extreme. We aren't allowed inside, at lunch and whatnot.
Daistallia 2104 wrote:Kirrig, since you seem to be unable to take hints, allow me make it explicitly clear - you are being ignored.

Milks Empire wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Lizardiar wrote:

Goss v. Lopez (1975)

Again, I was quoting my law text book, created in the year 2000. I didn't say it was true, i stated what we were told and instructed upon.

Then your book and your instructor were at best incorrect and at worst lying to you. I know this because I have taught this material to my students alongside works like 1984 or for persuasive or informational essays regarding student rights.
Last edited by Katganistan on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lizardiar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Lizardiar wrote:Again, I was quoting my law text book, created in the year 2000. I didn't say it was true, i stated what we were told and instructed upon.

Then your book and your instructor were at best incorrect and at worst lying to you.

The teacher opened up to us, he's a, what he himself refers to and what other teachers refer to him as, A scab beceause he utterly refuses to join the teacher's union. And he said that at the beginning of his career, that he never believed any of the other teachers that school became less and less about education. He said that now he can see a lot of things that are intended to enforce political policies on new generations of students and that it's gone on for years and years.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:00 pm

My school mascot was called the Maverick. A bull. In the center of our school there was a painting of the Maverick on the floor.
There was a rule that said no one is allowed to walk on it. So everyone had to walk around and were packed on into the wall trying to cross.
Alot of people didn't care and walked across it anyway. (Me)

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:05 pm

Genivaria wrote:My school mascot was called the Maverick. A bull. In the center of our school there was a painting of the Maverick on the floor.
There was a rule that said no one is allowed to walk on it. So everyone had to walk around and were packed on into the wall trying to cross.

J.D.?
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Mad Monarch
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad Monarch » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 pm

When your rules reach the level of retardation that is Florida's zero tolerance rule you can complain.

Till then, donate to the less fortunate. I accept $100 :p

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:
Genivaria wrote:My school mascot was called the Maverick. A bull. In the center of our school there was a painting of the Maverick on the floor.

J.D.?

Morton Ranch HS.
Katy, Texas.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Arkotania wrote:My school doesn't allow facial hair. I've always wanted a goatee...

I think my school's rules are a bit worse compared to others usually due to the fact my school is private. It's pretty damn hard to argue the rules since they just ignore our complaints.

I think students need a Union. Only if we could take legal action, then schools would soon fear our wrath.

It's actually because of legal action, and the fear of it, that such stupid rules are created in the first place.

If schools weren't held liable for students choosing to walk off school grounds during school time and getting injured or killed, there would probably be fewer rules about leaving the classroom etc.

But if a teacher or a principal is going to be held liable for a student who is truant, then they have a right to protect themselves by enforcing rules that may be restrictive or silly.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Straka
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Straka » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:08 pm

It's so bad here in Australia that some students have stopped calling it an 'education system' entirely. A kid at my school was bullied and then told by the teacher that "we can't punish them unless we catch them in the act". A friend of mine was recently suspended from school for four days for posting a negative review of the school on his blog - though there was no evidence connecting him to the blog, he is an outspoken proponent of student's rights inside the school community, the principal, vice principal and deputy vice principal all told him that they can, and will convict on circumstantial evidence. Like his views. Views shared by many.

Before you cite certain amendments, remember that this is Australia, and we are the only western country (to my knowledge) that doesn't have the freedom of speech.
- Anatoly Vishpudkin, Chief Spokesman of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of the People's Democratic Republic of Straka.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:
Arkotania wrote:My school doesn't allow facial hair. I've always wanted a goatee...

It's actually because of legal action, and the fear of it, that such stupid rules are created in the first place.

If schools weren't held liable for students choosing to walk off school grounds during school time and getting injured or killed, there would probably be fewer rules about leaving the classroom etc.

But if a teacher or a principal is going to be held liable for a student who is truant, then they have a right to protect themselves by enforcing rules that may be restrictive or silly.

Whats stupid is that most schools can suspend or expel students for complaining about the rules, on the internet, from home, and they hate NS. I'm lucky enough to have it at school thanks to my uncle working on the SWAT team, this leads to him knowing the best lawyer in the area who got the judge to rule NS couldn't be blocked. (All for FREE)

Good things

Free reign on music, about 95% of the time we can be listening to music, so long as one ear can hear.
:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
When we lose one we love, our bitterest tears are called forth by the memory of hours when we loved not enough. - Maurice Maeterlinck

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. - Washington Irving

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get. - Confucius

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:12 pm

My school suspended someone for consistently wearing the wrong colour socks. Apparently it reflects badly on the school to wear purple instead of navy.
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:12 pm

Meowfoundland wrote:My school suspended someone for consistently wearing the wrong colour socks. Apparently it reflects badly on the school to wear purple instead of navy.

Fuckin Ballas.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:12 pm

Straka wrote:It's so bad here in Australia that some students have stopped calling it an 'education system' entirely. A kid at my school was bullied and then told by the teacher that "we can't punish them unless we catch them in the act". A friend of mine was recently suspended from school for four days for posting a negative review of the school on his blog - though there was no evidence connecting him to the blog, he is an outspoken proponent of student's rights inside the school community, the principal, vice principal and deputy vice principal all told him that they can, and will convict on circumstantial evidence. Like his views. Views shared by many.

Before you cite certain amendments, remember that this is Australia, and we are the only western country (to my knowledge) that doesn't have the freedom of speech.

You know what happens in the real world if you bitch about the company you work for online? You get fired.

There are reasons for most of the rules that are in place in Australian schools. Maybe you should investigate. Look at teachers' union websites, look at legal decisions against teachers and schools, and maybe consider that a lot of those rules are in place for your protection, not just because "the school is out to get me."

And there are many Western countries without freedom of speech. You might need to actually educate yourself before complaining.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:
Straka wrote:It's so bad here in Australia that some students have stopped calling it an 'education system' entirely. A kid at my school was bullied and then told by the teacher that "we can't punish them unless we catch them in the act". A friend of mine was recently suspended from school for four days for posting a negative review of the school on his blog - though there was no evidence connecting him to the blog, he is an outspoken proponent of student's rights inside the school community, the principal, vice principal and deputy vice principal all told him that they can, and will convict on circumstantial evidence. Like his views. Views shared by many.

You know what happens in the real world if you bitch about the company you work for online? You get fired.

There are reasons for most of the rules that are in place in Australian schools. Maybe you should investigate. Look at teachers' union websites, look at legal decisions against teachers and schools, and maybe consider that a lot of those rules are in place for your protection, not just because "the school is out to get me."

And there are many Western countries without freedom of speech. You might need to actually educate yourself before complaining.

He did say to my knowledge, and if your posting like I'm doing now, that means there tracking your IP and every word, you can't say jack-shit without them knowing. (Yeah, they know I drink lightly on weekends, so what)

Kirrig
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kirrig » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:16 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:

And then sue for re-instatement.

Milks Empire wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me.

Osgeroth
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Osgeroth » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:16 pm

My school has many stupid rules, guys can't have long hair or piercings, any student in the halls without a signed note gets a morning detention, if you're late for homeroom you have to sit in the office until second period and if you're late three times you get a day of alternative school, if you don't go to the lunchroom during lunch break you get a morning detention

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General