NATION

PASSWORD

Is the word Abo racist? (also about other racist words)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is "Abo" racist

Yes
20%
No
39%
I don't know enough about the issue to judge
33%
Other (explain)
7%

Total votes : 108

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:11 pm

The Valkyrie Republic wrote:I don't like it when I am called an Indian, Instead of a Native... But I don't see anything wrong with "Abo", Seems like an abbreviation.

Indian, too, is an abbreviation of sorts, for "American Indian" or "Native American Indian".

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:My only personal experience with the term 'Abo' is from 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport', so I'm not really sure I know enough to say one way or the other.

Forster Keys wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:My only personal experience with the term 'Abo' is from 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport', so I'm not really sure I know enough to say one way or the other.

They say Abo in that?

http://www.lyricstime.com/rolf-harris-tie-me-kangaroo-down-sport-lyrics.html

I feel like my childhood has been violated :(

Rolf Harris - racist propagandist.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Tergnitz wrote:I would contest that, I have often seen it used it simply as an abbreviation for the Aboriginal race in general discussion.

Which is why I said 99%, rather than 100%.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Is "spic" racist?
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:They say Abo in that?

The "Let me Abos go loose" line.

The fourth verse was removed circa 1960, because of its use of the word Abo, an offensive slang term for Aboriginal Australians.

Wow, I'm an Aussie I didn't even know that. :oops:
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:13 pm

The Valkyrie Republic wrote:I don't like it when I am called an Indian, Instead of a Native... But I don't see anything wrong with "Abo", Seems like an abbreviation.

Read the thread. Plenty of people who actually know what they are talking about have already explained why it is considered a racist term.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:14 pm

Tergnitz wrote:
Tubbsalot wrote:Depends on whether it's being used as a racist slur.

Which, in practise, is about 99% of the time.

I would contest that, I have often seen it used it simply as an abbreviation for the Aboriginal race in general discussion.

Likewise, but often it seems to contain a good dose of contempt, "Those abos are..."
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:15 pm

Forster Keys wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:The "Let me Abos go loose" line.

The fourth verse was removed circa 1960, because of its use of the word Abo, an offensive slang term for Aboriginal Australians.

Does it make you feel as bad as I do? I used to sing that song in kindy :(

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:15 pm

Xsyne wrote:Is "spic" racist?

I think so. That's why I'm asking.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:17 pm

There's nothing wrong with a bit of virulent racism in your songs. Lends it some old-timey character.

Actually, I'm surprised it was removed 'circa 1960' when the White Australia Policy continued into the late 70s.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:

Read the thread. Plenty of people who actually know what they are talking about have already explained why it is considered a racist term.

Exactly. It's not the origin of the term, many slurs have completely innocent origins, it's the history and emotional baggage behind it all that create the affect. Ie. How it's used now rather than etymology.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:19 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:

Does it make you feel as bad as I do? I used to sing that song in kindy :(

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I sang the clean PC version. :p

Though I would be asking Mr Harris why he worded it how he did:

Let me Abos go loose, Lew
Let me Abos go loose
They're of no further use, Lew
So let me Abos go loose.

Yeah, a little sus.

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:24 pm

Well, here's the racist scale, as compared to the former standard names for African-Americans.

TOO PC- Individual Human of African Descent
GOOD- African-American
OK- Black
BAD- Negro
AWFUL- Nigger
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:Well, here's the racist scale, as compared to the former standard names for African-Americans.

GOOD- African-American
OK- Black
BAD- Negro
AWFUL- Nigger

Black is only "Ok"?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:26 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:Does it make you feel as bad as I do? I used to sing that song in kindy :(

Heh, my (American) grandfather said his entire schoolbus used to sing it. He can't remember whether or not the 'Abo' line was included.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Dennaville
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dennaville » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:28 pm

I guess im a yank and if abo is in the same context then no i dnt find it racist. Yank has never upset me i guess i never thought of it as a slur. In fact i find it some what odd that it would b thought of as such.

New Embossia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Embossia » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Hallistar wrote:I find aboriginal less racist than 'indian' or 'redskin'.

What's so racist about 'Indian'? The people of India find that name suits them.
Map of the United Republic

DEFCON: 5

Please refer to as The United Republic or New Embossia or the Kingdom of Yagrun.

**New Embossia**

I RP as The United Republic of New Embossia and the Kingdom of Yagrun

I'm a devout Catholic and I support LGBT rights
Hornesia wrote:Homosexuality may be a sin, but Jesus died for your sins. Therefore, feel free to gay it up.

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:34 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Well, here's the racist scale, as compared to the former standard names for African-Americans.

GOOD- African-American
OK- Black
BAD- Negro
AWFUL- Nigger

Black is only "Ok"?

Yeah. It's sort of a meh term, at least around here.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

Magnum Ultra
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Magnum Ultra » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Its not racist. Just an abbreviation.
♔||The Grand Empire of Magnum Ultra||♔
♔|| Factbook of Magnum Ultra|| ♔
♔ ||Ultran Resources || Imperial Ordnance Corp.||

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Dennaville wrote:I guess im a yank and if abo is in the same context then no i dnt find it racist. Yank has never upset me i guess i never thought of it as a slur. In fact i find it some what odd that it would b thought of as such.

GOOD- African-American
OK- Black
BAD- Negro
AWFUL- Nigger

On this scale, Abo would be equivalent to Negro in terms of how it's generally used.

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:37 pm

As with every-bloody-thing, it's the friggin' intent that matters.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Tergnitz
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tergnitz » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Cromarty wrote:As with every-bloody-thing, it's the friggin' intent that matters.

You know what I never hear, British racial slurs for ethnics.

Did you guys just steal the same ones used by the Yanks, cause thats what it looks like nowadays.

Al-Harakut al-Islami
Minister

Founded: Dec 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Harakut al-Islami » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:40 pm

I'm not sure.

Americans don't get offended by being called Yanks, people from England don't mind being called Brits, and Australians don't care if you call them Aussies.

However, Russians don't like being called Russkies, Germans get offended if you call them Krauts, and it's considered poor taste to call someone from England a Limey.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Can you imagine how awkward that would be?

"Mom, Dad... I'm an owl."

"Wha... what?!"

"I know, I know. I..."

"Can you stop being an owl?"

"Mom, it's not a choice."

"NO SON OF MINE CAN BE AN OWL!"

"Dad! It's not even physically possible! Christ, how can you be racist against something you didn't know existed until 5 seconds ago?!"

"Do you have an owlfriend?"

"Yes Mom. His name is Damien."
NS's resident Islamist.

I'm a proud American, sweetheart. And a weeaboo and a brony.
I~ Use~ Tildes~ When~ I~ Write~

Check out my dA: http://sharpieinkedcupcakes.deviantart.com/

MEMBER OF THE COALITION OF PONYIST STATES~

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Al-Harakut al-Islami wrote:I'm not sure.

Americans don't get offended by being called Yanks, people from England don't mind being called Brits, and Australians don't care if you call them Aussies.

However, Russians don't like being called Russkies, Germans get offended if you call them Krauts, and it's considered poor taste to call someone from England a Limey.

As a Bavarian-American, I can say that kraut is indeed offensive to my relatives in Europe. However, that's because it was frequently used in anti-German propaganda during the War.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General