NATION

PASSWORD

Is the word Abo racist? (also about other racist words)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is "Abo" racist

Yes
20%
No
39%
I don't know enough about the issue to judge
33%
Other (explain)
7%

Total votes : 108

Idealismania
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Idealismania » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Katganistan wrote:I believe WOG was originally "Worthy Occidental Gentleman", but I could be wrong.

Either way, why can't we call people what they WANT to be called? If Aborigines don't like Abo, then just don't call them Abos. It's just common courtesy, and insisting, "But I'm not racist when I call you an Abo, Abo," is just plain childish, rude, and yes, racist.

I agree with this. Just ask people what they want to be called and don't call them something they find offensive. Seems simple to me.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I believe WOG was originally "Worthy Occidental Gentleman", but I could be wrong.

Either way, why can't we call people what they WANT to be called? If Aborigines don't like Abo, then just don't call them Abos. It's just common courtesy, and insisting, "But I'm not racist when I call you an Abo, Abo," is just plain childish, rude, and yes, racist.

I don't think we've actually asked the Aborigionals...

....did you read the rest of the thread, specifically things linking to sources saying they don't like it, and people who've talked to it saying they don't like it, or have you just ignored it?

Oterro wrote:You realise Wog is actually extremely offensive, yes?

Yup.

Which is why I wouldn't use it. Just clarifying what the etymology of it is.

Azaca wrote:Only if you're saying it and meaning to be racist by it. I have redneck family that aren't racist but they refer to black people as niggers gay people as fags and indian people as reds because that's just what they learned to call them. Not because they are using those words offensively or because they think of them as lesser beings. And like I always say, it isn't racist as long as you don't mean it.

Then they are displaying their ignorance and risking getting a black eye.

Sidhae wrote:Since Abo is short for Aborigine, I don't see how it is any more insulting than Brit for British, or Yank for American.

Strange how seriously some people take words. I mean, it's just a sequence of noises, it's meaning depending entirely on context. I think if somebody takes offense at being addressed with a certain word, then evidently there is some truth in it's meaning in which to take offense.

Well, since it's just a sequence of noises,it would be unreasonable for someone to be upset if told, "Go fuck yourself, you motherfucking cocksucking whoreson bitchass fuck"?

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:06 pm

They seem to enjoy calling each other noongas, just go with that.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Imperial Parhe
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Is the word Abo racist? (also about other racist words)

Postby Imperial Parhe » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:29 pm

Al-Harakut al-Islami wrote:I'm not sure.

Americans don't get offended by being called Yanks, people from England don't mind being called Brits, and Australians don't care if you call them Aussies.

However, Russians don't like being called Russkies, Germans get offended if you call them Krauts, and it's considered poor taste to call someone from England a Limey.

As a Korean Texan, I really don't mind people calling me a redneck or gook(just makes me think of some hot pot soup the way people say it).
However, I am offended when people call me a Yank or Yankee.

Previous

Return to General