NATION

PASSWORD

Why are People Homophobic?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Euronion wrote:
-St George wrote:Does a homosexual have the right to marry the person he or she is in love with?

Does a homosexual couple have the right to adopt a child?

Does a homosexual couple receive the same entitlements with regards to tax as heterosexual couples?

1. feelings don't matter in the eyes of the law, can they marry? yes, gays and heterosexuals can marry, can they marry their own sex? no, neither gays nor heterosexuals can marry someone of their own sex

2. Yes they do, it will be harder to do so if they are not married though, just like it would harder for a heterosexual couple to adobt a child unmarried. Another answer to your question would be yes, especially in countries like Sweden and Norway

3.Depends, if the heterosexual couple are married than no, but that is because they are married while the other group is not, but considering if both of them were unmarried, yes they do

Yeah, years back it was, "You can marry anyone you like -- as long as both of you are the same color."

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:41 pm

Euronion wrote:
Johz wrote:Imagine, Euronion, if the law changed. Imagine if heterosexual marriages were banned, and homosexual marriages were the only accepted form of marriage. Would you be content to marry another man, while all the time loving another woman? Or would you argue that someone has taken your rights away?

1. that scenario is extremely unlikely because not only would it go against the relgion of Muslims, Jews, and Christains all over the world and we rely on marraige for mostly reporduction and the stable raising of a child with both contributors to the gene pool present.
2. I would not be happy, I would leave the United States, but I would have equal rights as the next person to marry

You have read the Treaty of Tripoli, I hope? Where it was SPECIFICALLY stated that the US was in NO WAY a Christian nation?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Euronion wrote:
Sociobiology wrote: who is trying to change your attitude, allowing gay marriage is about changing the law, you can keep your beliefs.
and of course you can forcibly change someones morality, that's what laws do, make everyone live by the same rules. You are arguing I should be allowed to murder people if I happen to think it is morally acceptable.

not when you force down kidnegartner's throats and give the parents the option of either going to jail or accepting sometihng that is against their religion

Sorry? Who has been jailed for not accepting homosexuality?

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Pauper Kings wrote:I would love to know how many of you're fashionably gay. When the stupid fad, to some extent, disappears I wonder how many of you will still be gay or 'gay'.

For the moment darling.

If that's true, couldn't the question be reversed? Couldn't people wonder how many heterosexuals are only "fashionably straight" because so many other people are doing it?

That's actually a good thing to think about. Lots of people are "fashionably straight" because they're afraid to come out.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Euronion wrote:
not when you force down kidnegartner's throats and give the parents the option of either going to jail or accepting sometihng that is against their religion

Sorry? Who has been jailed for not accepting homosexuality?

I was! I was!

Oh, wait... No... That was for war crimes and crimes against humanity. Sorry, I misremembered what I was charged with.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Pauper Kings wrote:I would love to know how many of you're fashionably gay. When the stupid fad, to some extent, disappears I wonder how many of you will still be gay or 'gay'.

For the moment darling.

I would love to know why you are assuming everyone who supports equal rights for homosexuals is themselves homosexual...[/quote

Often, Dyakovo, thieves justify their actions by "everyone steals" and liars with "everyone lies".

Polruan
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Polruan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Since when has it been fashionable to be gay? Outside of maybe some weird hipster cliques and the world of fashion photography?

Still think the "equal rights" thing is sophistry, because like it or not gays and straights do actually have the exact same marriage rights now. People like to bring up anti-miscegenation laws but those laws didn't actually deny any specific race any rights, they applied to everyone. So it's not an issue of parity. And anyway if you have civil unions why would you care unless you're trying to fit in in some weird way? I don't want to "marry" a man… I'd feel a right idiot.

^ being unfashionably gay
Last edited by Polruan on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Polruan wrote:Since when has it been fashionable to be gay? Outside of maybe some weird hipster cliques and the world of fashion photography?

Still think the "equal rights" thing is sophistry, because like it or not gays and straights do actually have the exact same marriage rights now. People like to bring up anti-miscegenation laws but those laws didn't actually deny any specific race any rights, they applied to everyone. So it's not an issue of parity. And anyway if you have civil unions why would you care unless you're trying to fit in in some weird way? I don't want to "marry" a man… I'd feel a right idiot.

^ being unfashionably gay

do one of you guys wanna take potshots at this (not)argument or should i?
I am me, the one and only. I am the whistling in the wind, the voice in your ear.

I am the eye in the sky, the knife in your back. I am always around, but do not fear. your time will come, as does all.

Polruan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Polruan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:54 pm

Which argument, I said quite a lot of different things

The miscegenation analogy is pretty much undeniable, bear in mind I didn't say that it not being strictly about equal rights didn't mean it wasn't justified, enquiries into care home abuse aren't about equal rights either but that has nothing to do with the rights and wrongs

Grant Park - Harrow
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Grant Park - Harrow » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:55 pm

I think people are homophobic by choice. People are not born biggots, they have to be taught who to hate.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

You can't spell "team work" without "u" and "i".

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Polruan wrote:Which argument, I said quite a lot of different things

The miscegenation analogy is pretty much undeniable, bear in mind I didn't say that it not being strictly about equal rights didn't mean it wasn't justified, enquiries into care home abuse aren't about equal rights either but that has nothing to do with the rights and wrongs

sure, having EVERYONE only marry the SAME race is perfectly equal, aint it? Do you not remember the old "seperate but equal" doctrine of segregation?

And there is a big difference between "civil unions" and marriage. One of them being in the way of tax benefits and actual recognition by the state.

Also, they DO want to fit in. Just like the irish wanted to fit in, just like the chinese wanted to fit in, just like blacks wanted to fit in, just like any other human being who wanted to fit in. You speak of equal rights but you call them getting the ability to do what any straight couple can "weird"? Provide actual evidence or bury your bigotry, it is NOT welcome here.
I am me, the one and only. I am the whistling in the wind, the voice in your ear.

I am the eye in the sky, the knife in your back. I am always around, but do not fear. your time will come, as does all.

Polruan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Polruan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:09 pm

The Warrior Hearted wrote:sure, having EVERYONE only marry the SAME race is perfectly equal, aint it? Do you not remember the old "seperate but equal" doctrine of segregation?

I do remember how people love to bring it up all the time regardless of its relevance.

And there is a big difference between "civil unions" and marriage. One of them being in the way of tax benefits and actual recognition by the state.

You mean, the things that are generally seen as the point of civil unions in the first place?

Also, they DO want to fit in. Just like the irish wanted to fit in, just like the chinese wanted to fit in, just like blacks wanted to fit in, just like any other human being who wanted to fit in. You speak of equal rights but you call them getting the ability to do what any straight couple can "weird"?

Yes, wanting the exact same terminology for an entirely different relationship with an entirely different history is weird. What's wrong with calling it a civil union? Why is calling it "marriage" automatically seen as progress when it instead looks ridiculous and neurotic?

or bury your bigotry, it is NOT welcome here.

I'm not sure whether this was accompanied by a bob of the head and a sassy "mm hmmmm" or an angry-20-year-old-white-male UM NOT COOL HELLO THIS IS THE 21ST CENTURY

Who exactly am I supposed to be bigoted against here? Myself? :unsure:

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:49 pm

The Warrior Hearted wrote:
Polruan wrote:Which argument, I said quite a lot of different things

sure, having EVERYONE only marry the SAME race is perfectly equal, aint it? Do you not remember the old "seperate but equal" doctrine of segregation?

Also, they DO want to fit in. Just like the irish wanted to fit in, just like the chinese wanted to fit in, just like blacks wanted to fit in, just like any other human being who wanted to fit in. You speak of equal rights but you call them getting the ability to do what any straight couple can "weird"? Provide actual evidence or bury your bigotry, it is NOT welcome here.

It depends. In most European countries which have civil unions, it's basically a way of giving LGBTs their rights, while still being able to say to the bigots that they cannot marry.

Basically, all the rights and priveleges of marriage are also in civil unions. The only difference is the name.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Pauper Kings
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pauper Kings » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:

I would love to know why you are assuming everyone who supports equal rights for homosexuals is themselves homosexual...[/quote

Often, Dyakovo, thieves justify their actions by "everyone steals" and liars with "everyone lies".

Explain in what way and the rationale you have for insinuating that I am in any sense a 'thief'. Or don't make the point again. Are you repeating the tired mantra of closeted homosexuality?

If you're in anyway doing that you will retract it.

Besides, only abject cowards use a forum where they have the upper hand to force their viewpoints on others.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Polruan wrote:
The Warrior Hearted wrote:sure, having EVERYONE only marry the SAME race is perfectly equal, aint it? Do you not remember the old "seperate but equal" doctrine of segregation?

I do remember how people love to bring it up all the time regardless of its relevance.

actually I cant think of many more relevant doctrine to this discussion
separate but equal
which is what you are proposing
Last edited by Sociobiology on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Drackonisa wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Let us compromise:

"Why do people oppose penis-fencing ?"

Which is more important? Length or girth?

I am of the opinion having a longer...sword would be better. You know, better penetration and reach.

Everywomen I've ever talked to prefered girth, it's about friction and wall contact, penetration and reach tends to be more painful.
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
And I'd hand them an insurgency.
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:43 pm

Tekania wrote:
Great Malema wrote:Erm why are we talking about chimpanzees?

Connected issues... if you want proof for their connectivity compare the chimpanzee cage in a zoo to the US Senate or House... in both cases you'll see a lot of hooting and hollering and shit being thrown around.

and in the end not much actual accomplishment
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:44 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Euronion wrote:
you HAVE equal rights, you HAVE the same rights as the average American citizen. WE are tired of your christainphobe ignorant bigotry, flee to Canada or Norway or Sweden where you will be happy and where you can thrust your views upon other people there and no one will care. However, we in America are tired of all the same bull crap, we have more important things to do like fight wars, fix unemployment and fix our economy.

They're American too and are tired of being treated as second class citizens.

If YOU don't like it, instead of telling them to leave, you can always take your own advice.

Tell me where to find "Heterosexual Christian Land"
We need to bomb it from orbit
It's the only way.
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:44 pm

GeneralHaNor wrote:
Drackonisa wrote:
Which is more important? Length or girth?

I am of the opinion having a longer...sword would be better. You know, better penetration and reach.

Everywomen I've ever talked to prefered girth, it's about friction and wall contact, penetration and reach tends to be more painful.

in fencing its about reach and rigidity, bonobos do have an actual penis bone too

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Katganistan wrote:If that's true, couldn't the question be reversed? Couldn't people wonder how many heterosexuals are only "fashionably straight" because so many other people are doing it?

There's never been a gay relationship broken up by a secret straight affair in the history of human beings.

Not sure if serious
Proof?

Nah, I'll discredit this right now, A man I knew who was a bit confused about his own orientation tried to go straight, but didn't end his long term gay relationship, when his partner found out he was seeing a women on the side, they relationship ended.

He later committed suicide, but he had other issues as well.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:48 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
GeneralHaNor wrote:

in fencing its about reach and rigidity, bonobos do have an actual penis bone too

Oh, in that case, length is certainly more important

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:52 pm

Grant Park - Harrow wrote:I think people are homophobic by choice. People are not born biggots, they have to be taught who to hate.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~sbs/media/pdf ... 006_SN.pdf
Social Threat is a neurological response and has little to do with social conditioning

Polruan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Polruan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Sociobiology wrote:actually I cant think of many more relevant doctrine to this discussion
separate but equal
which is what you are proposing

No it's not and I explained why, namely that you might as well say it would be discrimination against straight couples - to suggest that a different name for a similar procedure is the same as ghettoising minority races is absurd.

De Quay
Secretary

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby De Quay » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:58 pm

And as a personal aside, no gay man has ever raped me and left me bleeding in my home. No straight male is capable of hearing that without somewhere in their "mind" ( I use that term sarcastically) the thought that I must have deserved it coming up no matter how hard they protest that they disapprove and would not have wanted to be there to 'get their share'.[/quote]

Are you seriously suggesting that every man that is primarily interested in women is a supporter of rape and thinks that women deserve it? Really?[/quote]

Really.
And I'm not the only one - http://www.maxdesign.com.au/2009/10/12/schrodingers/

I notice also that you did not address the point, just ridiculed it because it was made by a woman, something you consider your inferior.

-St George
Senator

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Polruan wrote:Since when has it been fashionable to be gay? Outside of maybe some weird hipster cliques and the world of fashion photography?

Still think the "equal rights" thing is sophistry, because like it or not gays and straights do actually have the exact same marriage rights now.

Umm... do I have the right to marry the person I love?
[19:12] <Amitabho> I mean, a little niggling voice tells me this is impossible, but then my voice of reason kicks in
[21:07] <@Milograd> I totally endorse the unfair moderation.
01:46 Goobergunch I could support StGeorge's nuts for the GOP nomination
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General