NATION

PASSWORD

Why are People Homophobic?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:00 am

Grainne Ni Malley wrote:
The Raqaani wrote:Why not go all the way? Get a private island somewhere in the South Pacific and live there with, like fifty bonobos.

That sounds like too much work just to watch some penis fencing.

You can watch that here.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Raqaani
Attaché

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Raqaani » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:01 am

Grainne Ni Malley wrote:
The Raqaani wrote:Why not go all the way? Get a private island somewhere in the South Pacific and live there with, like fifty bonobos.

That sounds like too much work just to watch some penis fencing.

Yeah, but it gives off that "Bond villain" vibe.
Quon vu timas?

"Good God! What eldritch dream-world was this into which he had blundered?"

Grainne Ni Malley
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Grainne Ni Malley » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:02 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Grainne Ni Malley wrote:That sounds like too much work just to watch some penis fencing.

You can watch that here.

Meh. I find that humans are beginning to bore me.

Bonobos sound far more interesting. If only we could get them to debate on abortion and religion, I'd be set.
*insert boring personal information, political slant, witty quotes, and some fancy text color here*

Гроня Ни Маллий - In fond memory of Dyakovo. I will always remember you. Thank you for the laughs.

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:04 am

I'm not LGBT not homophobic
Kalaspia-Shimarata's flag represents the Union between K&S. The dark blue represents the sea and the light blue represents the sky. In Kalashi language considers light blue and dark blue to be different colours. England colonised, and unified K&S, between 1774 and 1953, and English, light blue and dark blue are considered to be the same colour. Therefore, the contrast between dark blue and light blue represents the union, but the differences between K&S where as blue being two but simultaneously one colour represents K&S being two, but simultaniously one entity. The opposite to the symmetry represents the unity and indipendance of K&S, whilst also representing the Kalashi culture of opposite symmetry.KS is 75% Christian, hence the cross.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:05 am

Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:I'm not LGBT not homophobic

That's very sweet of you.

Also, bonobos.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:50 am

New Somersetshire wrote:Some people get jealous because their prayer meetings are not as much fun as the drag shows at the local gay bar.

:lol2:

Also, bonobos....
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:12 am

Farnhamia wrote:Also, bonobos.

What?
Kalaspia-Shimarata's flag represents the Union between K&S. The dark blue represents the sea and the light blue represents the sky. In Kalashi language considers light blue and dark blue to be different colours. England colonised, and unified K&S, between 1774 and 1953, and English, light blue and dark blue are considered to be the same colour. Therefore, the contrast between dark blue and light blue represents the union, but the differences between K&S where as blue being two but simultaneously one colour represents K&S being two, but simultaniously one entity. The opposite to the symmetry represents the unity and indipendance of K&S, whilst also representing the Kalashi culture of opposite symmetry.KS is 75% Christian, hence the cross.

-St George
Senator

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:13 am

Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Also, bonobos.

What?

Bonobos.

Also, bonobos.
[19:12] <Amitabho> I mean, a little niggling voice tells me this is impossible, but then my voice of reason kicks in
[21:07] <@Milograd> I totally endorse the unfair moderation.
01:46 Goobergunch I could support StGeorge's nuts for the GOP nomination
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:16 am

-St George wrote:
Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:What?

Bonobos.

Also, bonobos.

What is bonobos

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:17 am

Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:
-St George wrote:Bonobos.

Also, bonobos.

What is bonobos

Pan paniscus.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

-St George
Senator

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:18 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:What is bonobos

Pan paniscus.

Also, bonobos.
[19:12] <Amitabho> I mean, a little niggling voice tells me this is impossible, but then my voice of reason kicks in
[21:07] <@Milograd> I totally endorse the unfair moderation.
01:46 Goobergunch I could support StGeorge's nuts for the GOP nomination
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:27 am

I think we're starting to spam with bonobos. The only reason why I brought it up was to ask what is as I thought it was on-topic

Great Malema
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Malema » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:27 am

Erm why are we talking about chimpanzees?
Last edited by Great Malema on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:28 am

Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:I think we're starting to spam with bonobos. The only reason why I brought it up was to ask what is as I thought it was on-topic

It is. Bonobos are great apes with a special attitude to sex - and like mf, ff and mm. For all occasions, from saying "hello" to "goodbye" to "I am sorry" to "damn, nasty weather".
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:53 am

Looks like the title suddenly changed from "why are people homophobic" to "why are people so obsessed with bonobos"

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:58 am

Great Malema wrote:Erm why are we talking about chimpanzees?

Connected issues... if you want proof for their connectivity compare the chimpanzee cage in a zoo to the US Senate or House... in both cases you'll see a lot of hooting and hollering and shit being thrown around.
Such heroic nonsense!

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:59 am

Esternial wrote:Looks like the title suddenly changed from "why are people homophobic" to "why are people so obsessed with bonobos"

Well, to be fair, the answer to both questions is "Because people are extremely goddamn interested in the sex that others are having."
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:33 am

Esternial wrote:Looks like the title suddenly changed from "why are people homophobic" to "why are people so obsessed with bonobos"

Let us compromise:

"Why do people oppose penis-fencing ?"

Drackonisa
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Drackonisa » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:36 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

Let us compromise:

"Why do people oppose penis-fencing ?"

Which is more important? Length or girth?

I am of the opinion having a longer...sword would be better. You know, better penetration and reach.

Extollo
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Extollo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:42 pm

-St George wrote:
Extollo wrote:This is terribly out of context and I'm afraid you know it.

From the very Wikipedia page you guys like to keep posting:

Although homosexual behavior is very common in the animal world, it seems to be very uncommon that individual animals have a long-lasting predisposition to engage in such behavior to the exclusion of heterosexual activities. Thus, a homosexual orientation, if one can speak of such thing in animals, seems to be a rarity.

I've never said it does not occur in nature, even most species, only that there is a very rare predisposition towards it. There's nothing wrong with that, and it certainly should have no bearing on whether or not someone is, or whether it is a predisposition or choice, I'm merely pointing it out because it serves to show why people think it's unnatural.

Natural: Occurring in nature.

Thus homosexuality is natural.

Also, bonobos.

I'm afraid you've either missed or ignored my point.

I'm not saying homosexuality is unnatural, or that some species don't engage in it more so than others (I believe, for example, sheep have a higher percentage than others, but this could be due to conditioning ;) ), just that on the whole, a predisposition isn't terribly common in most species. This could explain why some people see it as "weird" hence "bad". They haven't really been used to it, and may not understand it, and we all know how that usually goes over for tolerance. :pp

Personally, I don't think nature means a damn thing. I like nature and all, but I also like computers, cars, etc. :D

It was just an attempt to answer the question posted in the OP.
Last edited by Extollo on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind. I love the bicycle. I always have. I can think of no sincere, decent human being, male or female, young or old, saint or sinner, who can resist the bicycle.
~ William Saroyan

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:19 pm

Pauper Kings wrote:I would love to know how many of you're fashionably gay. When the stupid fad, to some extent, disappears I wonder how many of you will still be gay or 'gay'.

For the moment darling.

If that's true, couldn't the question be reversed? Couldn't people wonder how many heterosexuals are only "fashionably straight" because so many other people are doing it?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Euronion wrote:
-St George wrote:It's not, it's about equal rights.

you HAVE equal rights, you HAVE the same rights as the average American citizen. WE are tired of your christainphobe ignorant bigotry, flee to Canada or Norway or Sweden where you will be happy and where you can thrust your views upon other people there and no one will care. However, we in America are tired of all the same bull crap, we have more important things to do like fight wars, fix unemployment and fix our economy.

They're American too and are tired of being treated as second class citizens.

If YOU don't like it, instead of telling them to leave, you can always take your own advice.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:32 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Pauper Kings wrote:I would love to know how many of you're fashionably gay. When the stupid fad, to some extent, disappears I wonder how many of you will still be gay or 'gay'.

For the moment darling.

If that's true, couldn't the question be reversed? Couldn't people wonder how many heterosexuals are only "fashionably straight" because so many other people are doing it?

There's never been a gay relationship broken up by a secret straight affair in the history of human beings.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Euronion wrote:
The Warrior Hearted wrote:1st off. You seem to be the one who is ignorant. I recommend a rapid removal of fox news from your life and a hefty dose of reality.

2ndly, you seem to have the story backwards. Alot of people are 100% against gays have ANY rights, and they have been doing a very good (and annoyingly bigoted) job of stopping gay rights from being anymore then a wish for gays.

for your information, I watch BBC America World News and PBS News Hour for my news stations because they are unbaised

let me give you a list of some basic rights guranteed by the constitution

1. Free speach
2. The right to bear arms
3. The freedom of religion
4. the right to peacfully protest
5. no unlawful searches or seisures
6. Habeaus Corpus
7. Innocnet until proven guilty

both gays and straight people have these rights, they are both allowed to serve in the military, ect.

ah ah ah

The first amendment also guarentees freedom FROM religion, in that they are able to practice any religion they like or none at all. Yet Fundamentalists wish to cram their Christian belief system into the system of law at the same time they scream about it not being fair that they can't use public funds to further Christian values.

You went on quite the rant about "parades". Surely you see the irony in saying they are free to protest when you gripe that they should not be able to assemble freely and see redress of grievances (that's the first Amendment, too, ya know).

And until recently, gays were NOT allowed to serve in the military unless they denied being gay or refused to reveal it. That's basically saying, "You can only serve if we can pretend you're all straight." NOT the same thing.

Steel and Fire
Diplomat

Founded: May 17, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Steel and Fire » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:38 pm

For the moment darling.

I was gay for a while but well being gay is so 1990s. I hear heterosexuality is making an "ironic" retro comeback but I don't want to be one of those hipster types, you know? Do you guys think bisexuality matches my hat, or should I go with asexuality?
The Republic of Elysia

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General