NATION

PASSWORD

Moon base?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Belvadaire wrote:Their should be a team sent to the moon first or at least one of those rovers to scope the place, it can be a possible threat on the surface or in the surface, when the last time man actually stepped on the moon, years ago right? That none rotating piece of planet up there could be going through a evolution, just taking risk precautions. Man will have to step back on the moon to test this station safety, The nation of Belvadaire is mostly interested in is the inside of moon surface, the whole moon could be a space station for ET's and they probably been watching us like, forever now. With our young technology we have to hire the best scientist and get a good high weapon up their for the saftey of the Astronauts. Sound like a good plan? I mean think about it, it'll be a waste of room if we was the only one's think about that.

This is OOC, not IC...

Also, nothing has changed on the lunar surface since we left, aside from a few hundred billion or so micrometeoroids impacting the surface, and that satellite we slammed into the crater on the Lunar south pole...
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Belvadaire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Belvadaire » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:16 pm

[quote="Belvadaire";p="7171861"]Their should be a team sent to the moon first or at least one of those rovers to scope the place, it can be a possible threat on the surface or in the surface, when the last time man actually stepped on the moon, years ago right? That none rotating piece of planet up there could be going through a evolution, just taking risk precautions. Man will have to step back on the moon to test this station safety, The nation of Belvadaire is mostly interested in is the inside of moon surface, the whole moon could be a space station for ET's and they probably been watching us like, forever now. With our young technology we have to hire the best scientist and get a good high weapon up their for the saftey of the Astronauts. Sound like a good plan? I mean think about it, it'll be a waste of room if we was the only one's think about that!!

Last edited by Belvadaire on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Belvadaire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belvadaire » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Belvadaire wrote:Their should be a team sent to the moon first or at least one of those rovers to scope the place, it can be a possible threat on the surface or in the surface, when the last time man actually stepped on the moon, years ago right? That none rotating piece of planet up there could be going through a evolution, just taking risk precautions. Man will have to step back on the moon to test this station safety, The nation of Belvadaire is mostly interested in is the inside of moon surface, the whole moon could be a space station for ET's and they probably been watching us like, forever now. With our young technology we have to hire the best scientist and get a good high weapon up their for the saftey of the Astronauts. Sound like a good plan? I mean think about it, it'll be a waste of room if we was the only one's think about that.

This is OOC, not IC...

Also, nothing has changed on the lunar surface since we left, aside from a few hundred billion or so micrometeoroids impacting the surface, and that satellite we slammed into the crater on the Lunar south pole...

How do you like my space staion project picture?

Belvadaire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belvadaire » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Belvadaire wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
This is OOC, not IC...

How do you like my space staion project picture?

I truly understand if you're a Christian I'm a believer In God as well, I just don't put any limits on a Sovereign God,
genesis 1:1 in the beginning God created the heavenS and the earth.
Last edited by Belvadaire on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Belvadaire wrote:How do you like my space staion project picture?

Building stuff on the moon is harder than it looks.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Norstal wrote:

Plus building stuff under the moon's surface is a better idea then building on it.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Belvadaire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belvadaire » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Norstal wrote:

I agree, the surface texture has to be like tough from the cold space temperture

Set the Unbound
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Set the Unbound » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:35 pm

I think it needs its own thread, please...
"If two men agree on everything, you may be sure one of them is doing the thinking"
- Lyndon B. Johnson

"Homosexuality is observed in over a thousand species of animals. Homophobia is observed in only one."
- "Marmalade Skies and Tangerine Trees"

Belvadaire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belvadaire » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:37 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Norstal wrote:Building stuff on the moon is harder than it looks.

Plus building stuff under the moon's surface is a better idea then building on it.

I truly believe so, because their might be more gravity under the surface, and safer from incoming astroids

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Belvadaire wrote:
Belvadaire wrote:

I truly understand if you're a Christian I'm a believer In God as well, I just don't put any limits on a Sovereign God,
genesis 1:1 in the beginning God created the heavenS and the earth.

Why are you putting your responses in quotes, and randomly mentioning religion in this thread?

The Corparation wrote:
Norstal wrote:Building stuff on the moon is harder than it looks.

Indeed. Although something that appeals to me is just burying a large, inflatible dome of some sort under a given depth of dust, such that it protects the dome, yet isn't so heavy that it prevents the dome from rising when inflated.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Belvadaire wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Plus building stuff under the moon's surface is a better idea then building on it.

I truly believe so, because their might be more gravity under the surface, and safer from incoming astroids

Um first part no, gravity is about the same.
Second part, maybe protection from micrometeorites but not an asteroid.
Primary reason for going undergound is shielding from cosmic rays, and the ability to hollow out a base without having to haul up the shitload of things required to build a sizeable base. You just tunnel it out, seal er up, put in life support, and bam habitable moon structure. Although I will admit that all of this poses engineering difficulties.
Also you don't need to quote everything you say withn your own psot.
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Belvadaire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belvadaire » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Set the Unbound wrote:

But theirs another saying: "Two head are better then one" our late president probably was a stuborn guy to take any advice from any one.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:44 pm

Belvadaire wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Plus building stuff under the moon's surface is a better idea then building on it.

No large asteroids (about the size of Tunguska) are known to be on a collision course with the moon (and there have been several detected that have hit, or came close to hitting the earth).

The earth really just pulls the bigger ones towards us, and anything that does hit the moon usually hits the far side...

As for gravity, technically, yes you are right, but the increase is so minute that it makes no difference at all...

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Belvadaire wrote:
Set the Unbound wrote:

But theirs another saying: "Two head are better then one" our late president probably was a stuborn guy to take any advice from any one.

How is that relevant?

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:50 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Belvadaire wrote:

How is that relevant?

I'd like to add to this that by saying that this is an OOC board. No one pays any attention to your nation on general.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:55 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
How is that relevant?

I'd like to add to this that by saying that this is an OOC board. No one pays any attention to your nation on general.

Indeed...

I really don't understand whats so hard to get about this...do people not read?

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:58 pm

Why the hell do you keep using quote tags on your own crap? :eyebrow:

Set the Unbound
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Set the Unbound » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:04 pm

The Corparation wrote:Primary reason for going undergound is shielding from cosmic rays, and the ability to hollow out a base without having to haul up the shitload of things required to build a sizeable base. You just tunnel it out, seal er up, put in life support, and bam habitable moon structure. Although I will admit that all of this poses engineering difficulties.

^ This

Thermal stability is also an important reason for going underground, perhaps THE most important reason.

Temperature changes from +107 C to -150 C are going to destroy most human tech on the surface in short order, unless it is ridiculously hardened.

The Moon is a really hostile and sucky place compared to Mars. And it has far less useful resources, water ice being the only thing remotely extractable with MT technology.

That said, imagine being an engineer at a lunar pole base maintaining the equipment that produces billions of dollars worth of propellant for interplanetary travel? Imagine the powerful evil trade union you could create! The wages! :p

It would be truly the Abu Dhabi of space, only without camels and princes...
Last edited by Set the Unbound on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If two men agree on everything, you may be sure one of them is doing the thinking"
- Lyndon B. Johnson

"Homosexuality is observed in over a thousand species of animals. Homophobia is observed in only one."

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:13 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Belvadaire wrote:

Um first part no, gravity is about the same.

I would guess so. If you assume the moon has uniform density it would be less (the end-case is right at the center of the moon, where the gravity must be zero). Uniform density is not a reasonable assumption though, the core is likely iron with density 7.7 g/cm3, while overall the density is 3.3 g/cm3. The moon has a lot of mantle and only a small core though ... let's say "about the same" after all.

Yes. Without serious atmosphere to burn them up, micrometeorites are going to be a problem. They may be small, but they can go very fast!

Primary reason for going undergound is shielding from cosmic rays, and the ability to hollow out a base without having to haul up the shitload of things required to build a sizeable base. You just tunnel it out, seal er up, put in life support, and bam habitable moon structure. Although I will admit that all of this poses engineering difficulties.

Yep, all good. The burying it in dust idea is good, just enough dust to counteract the higher atmospheric pressure inside.

I'd calculate how much dust that is, and whether it would provide adequate protection from cosmic rays and micrometeorites ... but I have to go out. Later.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Um first part no, gravity is about the same.

I would guess so. If you assume the moon has uniform density it would be less (the end-case is right at the center of the moon, where the gravity must be zero). Uniform density is not a reasonable assumption though, the core is likely iron with density 7.7 g/cm3, while overall the density is 3.3 g/cm3. The moon has a lot of mantle and only a small core though ... let's say "about the same" after all.

Yes. Without serious atmosphere to burn them up, micrometeorites are going to be a problem. They may be small, but they can go very fast!

Yep, all good. The burying it in dust idea is good, just enough dust to counteract the higher atmospheric pressure inside.

I'd calculate how much dust that is, and whether it would provide adequate protection from cosmic rays and micrometeorites ... but I have to go out. Later.

The good thing about the pressure is that you don't need as much material to support the weight, so long as the pressure is constant. Like I said, extremely large inflatable dome (maybe about 500ft in total area) would be perfect.

We should have an NSG group for those of us dedicated to space...

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:26 pm

Set the Unbound wrote:That said, imagine being an engineer at a lunar pole base maintaining the equipment that produces billions of dollars worth of propellant for interplanetary travel? Imagine the powerful evil trade union you could create! The wages! :p

Bah I see you're lack of camels and princes and raise you with Camel Spacesuits and Robot-Princes. That's when the future will really kick off. When we give Camels the right to fly a spaceship.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:28 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Set the Unbound wrote:That said, imagine being an engineer at a lunar pole base maintaining the equipment that produces billions of dollars worth of propellant for interplanetary travel? Imagine the powerful evil trade union you could create! The wages! :p

Bah I see you're lack of camels and princes and raise you with Camel Spacesuits and Robot-Princes. That's when the future will really kick off. When we give Camels the right to fly a spaceship.

A ship flying a ship?

BLASPHEMY!!!

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:32 pm

Grenartia wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Bah I see you're lack of camels and princes and raise you with Camel Spacesuits and Robot-Princes. That's when the future will really kick off. When we give Camels the right to fly a spaceship.

A ship flying a ship?

BLASPHEMY!!!

Space Camel sez otherwise.

Set the Unbound
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Set the Unbound » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:32 pm

Grenartia wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Bah I see you're lack of camels and princes and raise you with Camel Spacesuits and Robot-Princes. That's when the future will really kick off. When we give Camels the right to fly a spaceship.

A ship flying a ship?

BLASPHEMY!!!

The Ships of the Desert piloting the Ships of Space? There is a certain symmetry...
- Lyndon B. Johnson

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:39 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

The good thing about the pressure is that you don't need as much material to support the weight, so long as the pressure is constant. Like I said, extremely large inflatable dome (maybe about 500ft in total area) would be perfect.

We should have an NSG group for those of us dedicated to space...

This simple method occurred to me while walking up to the shops. Pretend the soil behaves like a liquid. That's the worst case scenario.

Lunar gravity is 1/6 of earth gravity
Lunar "soil" is 3 times the density of water.
Depth of water to add 1 atmosphere of pressure. Turns out it's 10 metres almost exactly.
Lunar atmosphere adds negligible pressure.

10 m ÷ 3 x 6 = 20 meters of soil.

I'm not sure if that's enough. So you could use higher pressure inside (2 atm, 40 meters) or perhaps bring some glue and after inflating the dome, slather the outside with lunar concrete. Then cover it over.

Right then. Let's buy a Delta IV Heavy, some shovels, a big plastic bag, and some glue. We're gonna make a moon base 8)
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General