NATION

PASSWORD

What is your view on homosexual rights and why?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun May 15, 2011 9:49 pm

The Divine Imperium wrote:Homesexual's don't get rights. Their weak-willed mentalities allowed them to catch the gay.

General is not in character, so references to ones nation are not "allowed".

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sun May 15, 2011 9:50 pm

As much as I dislike it, in name of freedom and equality - I would say they should have same right as everyone else. Morals doesnot come to play while making laws...
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun May 15, 2011 9:50 pm

Great Nepal wrote:As much as I dislike it, in name of freedom and equality - I would say they should have same right as everyone else. Morals doesnot come to play while making laws...

Why do you dislike it?
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun May 15, 2011 9:50 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:Homosexual people have a right to be treated with the same common decency that everyone has a right to. Gay marriage should be legal because it is a step toward a less sexist way of thinking.

Sexism is discrimination based on sex not sexual orientation. Not sure what the correct term is. Usually homophobic is used that context.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Spoonlande
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spoonlande » Sun May 15, 2011 9:51 pm

We are against them......only because we are against all rights....equally

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sun May 15, 2011 9:51 pm

Great Anthonland wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Lately, the gay and lesbian rights activists have gotten too focused on making the movement as heteronormative as possible, to the point of outright suppressing the points-of-view of bisexuals, transgendered persons and those who have an alternate lifestyle from the middle class, frankly conservative image the leaders of the gay and lesbian rights movement, particularly in the fight for marriage rights.

How dare you not want to live your life like Leave it to Beaver? Oh well, the gay and lesbian movement doesn't have much to say for you anymore. And god help you if you're female-to-male transgendered, because no one wants you.

I do agree with you in that even LGBT rights activists can be intolerant to even other homosexual, bisexuals, and transgendered people whose views don't fit the majority. I was just asking what you thought about lgbt rights and not necessarily the movement as a whole

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the abstract concept of equal rights...

But concretely, the state's role as the central provider of distributive justice in society is highly problematic. Not only is the movement turning out to be its own worst enemy, focusing solely on rights as provided by the state isn't enough to ensure equality.

As for acceptance of LBGT people, they've probably only undermined their own efforts. Look at how wrapped up the LBGT movement is in finding deterministic, biological causes for being gay etc. The attitude that comes from that in broader society isn't "You're a human being, I'll accept you as one unconditionally," it's more of "Well, you're a disgusting faggot, but it isn't your fault, because who would choose to be so disgusting, so I won't hold it against you".
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun May 15, 2011 9:51 pm

Great Anthonland wrote:Tell me what you think about LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) rights. And also explain why you hold that view. Personally I believe in equal rights for all people regardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation, religion or lack thereof, or culture.

Treat them like people.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun May 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Spoonlande wrote:We are against them......only because we are against all rights....equally

General is OOC.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Haletia (Ancient)
Political Columnist

Founded: May 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Haletia (Ancient) » Sun May 15, 2011 9:52 pm

The LGBTQIA community is very near and dear to me. Having many gay friends and family, this is something I feel passionately about. They are no different from straight people. I find it to be extremely ridiculous that this is still being debated. Why should anyone be denied their RIGHTS just because of who they love/are attracted to? It shouldn't be complicated. They deserve the exact same rights as EVERYONE else. Period.

Coltessia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coltessia » Sun May 15, 2011 9:52 pm

I'm not going to be coy, I do believe it is sinful. However, I know there is no personality difference, and the homosexuals I have met have all been very nice. I believe things like this should be determined by the people of a given area. Though I'm personally against Homosexual marriage, I am 100% in favor of letting it go to referendum so the people can decide, rather than musty old men in Washington.

Zeth Rekia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeth Rekia » Sun May 15, 2011 9:54 pm

The Truth and Light wrote:Inb4 Farn

I like rights for the gays. They're good things.

^this

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun May 15, 2011 9:56 pm

Coltessia wrote:I'm not going to be coy, I do believe it is sinful. However, I know there is no personality difference, and the homosexuals I have met have all been very nice. I believe things like this should be determined by the people of a given area. Though I'm personally against Homosexual marriage, I am 100% in favor of letting it go to referendum so the people can decide, rather than musty old men in Washington.

Why should we let any group of people deny anyone rights?

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sun May 15, 2011 9:56 pm

Coltessia wrote:I'm not going to be coy, I do believe it is sinful.

Why?

Seems irrational.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sun May 15, 2011 9:57 pm

I believe all should be free to partake of the rights shared by most of society. :bow: I would love to see the end of discrimination against all gays, lesbians, bisexuals, pansexuals, transsexuals, cross-dressers, gender queer, and likewise people. :] They should enjoy the same rights as everyone else...

Economic Left/Right: -0.63 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.97
Other Compass
The Holy Therns wrote:Your thought pattern is so bizarre I can't even be offended anymore.

The Divine Imperium
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Divine Imperium » Sun May 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
The Divine Imperium wrote:Homesexual's don't get rights. Their weak-willed mentalities allowed them to catch the gay.

General is not in character, so references to ones nation are not "allowed".

This is my view on gays... Though, the same idea does apply for my country.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate." - Zapp Brannigan

Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sun May 15, 2011 9:58 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Coltessia wrote:I'm not going to be coy, I do believe it is sinful. However, I know there is no personality difference, and the homosexuals I have met have all been very nice. I believe things like this should be determined by the people of a given area. Though I'm personally against Homosexual marriage, I am 100% in favor of letting it go to referendum so the people can decide, rather than musty old men in Washington.

Why should we let any group of people deny anyone rights?

^ This. Human Rights should never be a question of "Does the rest of society want to let you do this?" It should be a given regardless.

Other Compass
The Holy Therns wrote:Your thought pattern is so bizarre I can't even be offended anymore.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun May 15, 2011 9:58 pm

The Divine Imperium wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:General is not in character, so references to ones nation are not "allowed".

Then your beliefs are foolish. I am no weak willed, or I would have succumb to the anti-gay ideals of the current regime. This, and you cannot become homosexual through contact. It is not a disease or illness.

@}-;-'---

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun May 15, 2011 10:00 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:Homosexual people have a right to be treated with the same common decency that everyone has a right to. Gay marriage should be legal because it is a step toward a less sexist way of thinking.

Sexism is discrimination based on sex not sexual orientation. Not sure what the correct term is. Usually homophobic is used that context.

The term I meant to use is sexism. If a man is allowed to have a wife, then I should also be allowed to have one. In states where same sex marriage is banned, any man can marry any woman regardless of their sexual orientation. These laws cause problems for gays, but the actual basis of discrimination is sex, not sexual orientation.

I feel like requiring marriage to be one man and one woman encourages the thinking that men and women naturally must play different roles in the marriage, and that these roles are biologically determined. That thinking is sexist and wrong.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:00 pm

There are no gay rights. There are simply human rights. I'm not sure that the right to have your monogamous partnership be recognized by society and to have special privileges as a result of this exclusive partnership is really something that I'd consider a fundamental human right, but since society recognizes this ritual for heterosexual pairings, I see no reason not to extend it to other pairings as well.

Thus, I don't hold marriage as an absolute right in the strict philosophical sense. However, in the context of a society obsessed with this particular pairing, it can be guaranteed as it makes people happy. Denying it does harm, and produces no benefit.

As for right to discrimination-free employment, this is once again something that can only be reasonably considered a guarantee in the context of a capitalist society. In a hunter-gatherer tribe, "right to employment" is meaningless. So it is not a right fundamental to the very core of being human. However, it makes people more content here and only "hurts" people in the sense that they have to be around people they arbitrarily hate. Hell, you could argue that it helps them as well because it helps to correct their prejudice. Thus, it does good, and no real harm (Homosexuality does not determine the "merit" of an employee in almost any job. Were there a job where it could actually make the individual less capable, then discrimination should be allowed. Of course, no such job exists, as far as I know.), so it should be put into practice.

Thus, I'm mostly in favor of what "gay rights" groups advocate.
Cool shit here, also here.

Conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, logical consistency, quantum field theory, general respect for life and other low entropy formations, pleasure, minimizing the suffering of humanity and maximizing its well-being, equality of opportunity, individual liberty, knowledge, truth, honesty, aesthetics, imagination, joy, philosophy, entertainment, and the humanities.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
The Divine Imperium wrote:

Then your beliefs are foolish. I am no weak willed, or I would have succumb to the anti-gay ideals of the current regime. This, and you cannot become homosexual through contact. It is not a disease or illness.

I'm pretty sure people would go gay for you. :p
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Haletia (Ancient)
Political Columnist

Founded: May 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Haletia (Ancient) » Sun May 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Unhealthy2 wrote:There are no gay rights. There are simply human rights.

This.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun May 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Then your beliefs are foolish. I am no weak willed, or I would have succumb to the anti-gay ideals of the current regime. This, and you cannot become homosexual through contact. It is not a disease or illness.

I'm pretty sure people would go gay for you. :p

Oh, so that's why you gave him the Karma Sutra.

:eek:
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Sun May 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:Lately, the gay and lesbian rights activists have gotten too focused on making the movement as heteronormative as possible, to the point of outright suppressing the points-of-view of bisexuals, transgendered persons and those who have an alternate lifestyle from the middle class, frankly conservative image the leaders of the gay and lesbian rights movement, particularly in the fight for marriage rights.

How dare you not want to live your life like Leave it to Beaver? Oh well, the gay and lesbian movement doesn't have much to say for you anymore. And god help you if you're female-to-male transgendered, because no one wants you.

I want. :(
I want anyone who's willing to be close to me.
Under New Management since 8/9/12

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun May 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Norstal wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:I'm pretty sure people would go gay for you. :p

Oh, so that's why you gave him the Karma Sutra.

:eek:

You want a copy?
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sun May 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Mosasauria wrote:

I want. :(
I want anyone who's willing to be close to me.

:hug: You want what...?

Other Compass

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General