NATION

PASSWORD

Are School Dress Codes too Restrictive?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:14 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I'm going to guess you're a male.

Yes.

Maybe you should consider the inconvenience that goes with girls having to wear skirts.
Insert trite farewell here

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:20 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Yes.

Maybe you should consider the inconvenience that goes with girls having to wear skirts.

I've worn a kilt before. I know what it's like to wear a skirt.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:21 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Yes.

Certainly skirts should not be mandatory. But I am okay with them as an option.

The standard school uniform should be slacks with a button down or polo shirt.
For all genders, as such clothes are perfectly appropriate for most jobs and can be worn by men or women.

But an optional skirt is okay. I agree it should not be mandatory for girls though.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:27 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Maybe you should consider the inconvenience that goes with girls having to wear skirts.

I've worn a kilt before. I know what it's like to wear a skirt.

Except that you receive no grief for not shaving your legs when you wear a kilt. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Brutality Savage
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Brutality Savage » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:30 pm

No Dress Codes For School.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Diopolis wrote:I've worn a kilt before. I know what it's like to wear a skirt.

Except that you receive no grief for not shaving your legs when you wear a kilt. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Then wear ankle length skirts instead of knee length.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:40 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Except that you receive no grief for not shaving your legs when you wear a kilt. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Then wear ankle length skirts instead of knee length.

Still more of a hassle than pants.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:30 pm

After 14 years with them, I feel I can reasonably say that school uniforms do the same thing as uniforms for the military. They: Provide identification, provide appropriate clothing for the task at hand, promote a feeling of togetherness.

They do not: Erase individuality, prevent bulling.

They MAY: Ease a teacher's job as they don't have to make judgements regarding if something is appropriate or not, or political/religious or not. Be cheaper than regular clothing.

But the last two depends a great deal on various factors.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:39 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Uniforms require girls to wear skirts somewhat frequently. Dress codes rarely due, except at extremely religious schools.

They shouldn't, though. Uniforms should require pants for all. No skirts. They're impractical and, frankly, unfair.

What if it gets hot out and students are only allowed to wear pants?

Should shorts and skirts be allowed to logically help deal with the heat?
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:40 pm

School uniforms can be quite bad in terms of temperature. At my local Catholic school, there was a strict dress code that had some sort of pants I can’t remember at this moment or skirts. But it never specified which gender should wear which clothing. So on a boiling hot day, some boys literally wore skirts because it technically didn’t violate the rules.

This comes to show that dress codes are too restrictive, in some places.
Anti: Russia
Pro: Prussia
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:46 pm

New haven america wrote:
Scomagia wrote:They shouldn't, though. Uniforms should require pants for all. No skirts. They're impractical and, frankly, unfair.

What if it gets hot out and students are only allowed to wear pants?

Should shorts and skirts be allowed to logically help deal with the heat?

Sure.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Meh. They're uniforms.

I'm going to guess you're a male.

Many school with uniforms in my area allow the choice of dress slacks or a skirt

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:33 pm

NERVUN wrote:But the last two depends a great deal on various factors.

Really depends on how anal the teacher wants to be. At the schools I went to that had uniforms, most of the higher ups were concerned about uniforms but most teachers basically couldn't care less as long as you wore it. If memory serves me correctly I was only pulled up for a violation once because I wore a cream coloured undershirt as opposed to a white one underneath my polo shirt as an extra layer during winter (wasn't part of the uniform officially but the school permitted it).

It's interesting the differences in attitudes between Americans and some in the Commonwealth such as I, who have been in schools with both uniforms and non-uniforms.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:37 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Page wrote:
One's youth should be a time to have fun. This mind-numbing capitalist world of ours will erase kids' individuality soon enough, no need to accelerate it.

Nonsense. Youth is for learning.
We don't need to have a discussion over what shorts are too short if students can't wear shorts at all.

Trousers, skirts and dresses are inferior clothing. Utterly impractical, in fact. Shorts are God's own clothing.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:33 pm

NERVUN wrote:After 14 years with them, I feel I can reasonably say that school uniforms do the same thing as uniforms for the military. They: Provide identification, provide appropriate clothing for the task at hand, promote a feeling of togetherness.

They MAY: Ease a teacher's job as they don't have to make judgements regarding if something is appropriate or not, or political/religious or not. Be cheaper than regular clothing.

IIRC stuff you've said about your life on here, you have lived in Japan for a long time and are/were a teacher there? I can see how that would influence your perspective.

I do think uniforms erase individuality, especially because one's childhood and teens are the years when one most wants to experiment with self-expression. For me, choosing what to wear as a teen really helped me discover things about myself. For awhile I had the "skater" look, it started out as just conformity to peer pressure because skate shoes were in (though I was the only one who actually skated), but later on I realized that casual, baggy clothes were a true reflection of the type of person I am.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:58 pm

Page wrote:I do think uniforms erase individuality, especially because one's childhood and teens are the years when one most wants to experiment with self-expression.

Perhaps you should solicit perspectives of people who have been students in schools with and without uniforms? There's plenty of people in the UK and certain Commonwealth nations that could give you a perspective on what it was like growing up with these kinds of things.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:59 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Page wrote:I do think uniforms erase individuality, especially because one's childhood and teens are the years when one most wants to experiment with self-expression.

Perhaps you should solicit perspectives of people who have been students in schools with and without uniforms? There's plenty of people in the UK and certain Commonwealth nations that could give you a perspective on what it was like growing up with these kinds of things.

I'm one of them. I agree with him.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:03 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I'm one of them. I agree with him.

Eh, I don't really believe that kids were about "self expression" in clothing anyway. Most of the time they wore what their parents buy them.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:06 am

NERVUN wrote:After 14 years with them, I feel I can reasonably say that school uniforms do the same thing as uniforms for the military. They: Provide identification, provide appropriate clothing for the task at hand, promote a feeling of togetherness.

I'll address each point individually:
(1) Provide identification: Sure, can't disagree with that, unless it's the case of my second school which came up with the idea of a uniform with no school logos.
(2) Provide appropriate clothing for the task at hand: Not necessarily. They often provide a one-size-fits-all approach, where said one size (not literal obviously) might not even fit most. See the schools which demand full uniform compliance when it is ridiculously warm/hot outside, the ones who insist on 'no outside coats' when the heating has gone etc. Teachers are often rather anal about it.
(3) I'm not seing how 'a feeling of togetherness' in a school atmosphere honestly.
(4) They do not erase individuality: I mean they kind of do, they prevent students from showing things they wish to show through their clothing, and more and more often through hairstyles etc. I'm sure it might also have some effects on the ability of students to make friends as well, if you can see it might be quite useful to be able to grasp shared interests through clothing style.
(5) Prevent Bullying: Correct
(6) That teachers job is made very very easy if they don't have to make that call in the first place. All is appropriate, if it is religious or political so what?
(7) They're not cheaper.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:07 am

Costa Fierro wrote:

Eh, I don't really believe that kids were about "self expression" in clothing anyway. Most of the time they wore what their parents buy them.

Maybe in primary school, not so much later on though.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

I'm one of them. I agree with him.

You're self evidently wrong.

Unless you believe that everyone you know wears their uniform in precisely the same way?

You get rolled up jumper sleeve wearers, jumper vs jacket wearers, shoes versus sandals, hats vs no hats, long versus short sleeves, shorts vs trousers (although, in practice, here, pretty much everyone wears shorts... note most schools here still have gender segregated uniforms, which is problematic) and so on.

The more pieces of uniform there are, the more variety you get.

And, of course, people don't wear uniforms all the time, do they? They wear mufti outside of school. All uniforms do is substitute a wider variety for choices which indicate different patterns of wear for a narrower variety. If anything this enhances individuality because it means people pick up subtler differences and gives a common base of interpretation. As I pointed out before... clothes cannot convey individuality: they're incapable of doing so.
Last edited by Forsher on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:28 am

Forsher wrote:

You're self evidently wrong.

Unless you believe that everyone you know wears their uniform in precisely the same way?

You get rolled up jumper sleeve wearers, jumper vs jacket wearers, shoes versus sandals, hats vs no hats, long versus short sleeves, shorts vs trousers (although, in practice, here, pretty much everyone wears shorts... note most schools here still have gender segregated uniforms, which is problematic) and so on.

The more pieces of uniform there are, the more variety you get.

And, of course, people don't wear uniforms all the time, do they? They wear mufti outside of school. All uniforms do is substitute a wider variety for choices which indicate different patterns of wear for a narrower variety. If anything this enhances individuality because it means people pick up subtler differences.

In the UK, schools are very anal about their uniform policy. Shirts must be tucked in, you must wear a tie, you can't wear a jacket unless it's the school jacket and their's often no jumper equivalent. I don't know of anybody who ever woar a hat to school, and school shorts kind of died out in early primary.

Technoscience Leftwing
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 24, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Technoscience Leftwing » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:55 am

* In the Russian Empire, the boys' school uniform looked like a soldier’s uniform (a cap, belt with a buckle, cloth uniform and tunic). In girls, the uniform was similar to the maid's clothes: a dark dress and a white or black apron. For the conservative militarist royal empire, this is natural.
* After the revolution, uniforms were canceled. There were voluntary youth movements - bourgeois (scouts) and communist (pioneers) they had their own uniform, but it was not obligatory.
* Under Stalin, after the war, there was a turn towards conservatism: they reintroduced a uniform similar to the gymnasium uniform of the tsarist period. My father wore a cap, a belt with a buckle, and a cloth uniform.
* Under Khrushchev and Brezhnev, the soldier’s design of a uniform for boys was abandoned, replacing it with a civil blue jacket with an emblem on the sleeve (the sun and a book, signs of enlightenment). The girls still wore a brown dress and an apron (black on ordinary days, and white on holidays). In addition, there was a pioneer form for special events of the pioneer organization: a white blouse and blue skirt, a white shirt and black pants, a red cap like those of pilots, and a red tie. Pioneers wore a red tie at school. The younger ones (Oktjabrjata) had badges in the form of a red five-pointed star with a portrait of V.I. Lenin, and the pioneers and Komsomol members - badges in the form of a flag with the profile of Lenin.
* Under Yeltsin, every uniform was canceled (liberalization). There was freedom in clothes, but also rivalry in price and fashion, the contempt of the rich for poorly dressed students.
* Under Putin, the uniform was returned (conservatism), but in the form of an office dress code: white top, black bottom. And the rest is at the discretion of a particular school.

Here is an evolution.
* TLC Factbook
* Goal: increase comfort, technical capabilities and knowledge for most people.
* Pro: technicalism, social equality, cosmopolitanism, scientific atheism, revolutionism, emancipation.
* Contra: technophobia, reactionary despotism, nationalism, religion, ascetic regulation, traditionalism, patriarchality.
* Real location: Russia. Sorry for mistakes in English. Всем салют!

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:16 am

Technoscience Leftwing wrote:* In the Russian Empire, the boys' school uniform looked like a soldier’s uniform (a cap, belt with a buckle, cloth uniform and tunic). In girls, the uniform was similar to the maid's clothes: a dark dress and a white or black apron. For the conservative militarist royal empire, this is natural.
* After the revolution, uniforms were canceled. There were voluntary youth movements - bourgeois (scouts) and communist (pioneers) they had their own uniform, but it was not obligatory.
* Under Stalin, after the war, there was a turn towards conservatism: they reintroduced a uniform similar to the gymnasium uniform of the tsarist period. My father wore a cap, a belt with a buckle, and a cloth uniform.
* Under Khrushchev and Brezhnev, the soldier’s design of a uniform for boys was abandoned, replacing it with a civil blue jacket with an emblem on the sleeve (the sun and a book, signs of enlightenment). The girls still wore a brown dress and an apron (black on ordinary days, and white on holidays). In addition, there was a pioneer form for special events of the pioneer organization: a white blouse and blue skirt, a white shirt and black pants, a red cap like those of pilots, and a red tie. Pioneers wore a red tie at school. The younger ones (Oktjabrjata) had badges in the form of a red five-pointed star with a portrait of V.I. Lenin, and the pioneers and Komsomol members - badges in the form of a flag with the profile of Lenin.
* Under Yeltsin, every uniform was canceled (liberalization). There was freedom in clothes, but also rivalry in price and fashion, the contempt of the rich for poorly dressed students.
* Under Putin, the uniform was returned (conservatism), but in the form of an office dress code: white top, black bottom. And the rest is at the discretion of a particular school.

Here is an evolution.

Yeltsin had it about right, I see.

Brightlake
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Brightlake » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:16 am

According to my personal observation, there are some logical reasons for dresscode in school that not about being restrictive, reducing creativity, or else;

1. Some nations do enforce school uniform for various reasons and functions some of examples are, that Japanese primary students wear bright orange hat that may be not look really fashionable or match with their uniform but the hat make them more noticeable while crossing the street make car driver aware of their present; another example is some nation write the name of school in the uniform that make people around them could easily helping them or contact the school in case their student lost in their way home, had oto accident, or even skipping class.

2. Some arguments said that uniform is killing creativity, School should focus to filling their student's head instead of how they wear their clothes, and others but there should be some rules to prevent this "clothing issues" contra-productive the learning process. Most of the time ultimate freedom may not work even for adults, how we can fully let the kids and teen be 100% decide what they want. Differ by the age and their mental development some students didn't mature enough to really think about effects of their acts.

3. Nowadays with the internet and other technologies, you can just done some of your work shirtless in your bed without going to anywhere. That are saying "don't judge book by the cover" but dress code actually train students how to keep presentable appearance when meet with your boss, clients, subordinates, and society in general. Some industries like art and others may be more lax in term of what presentable appearance are ? but we can't generalize the standard for all. The dresscode in workforce now is tend to be more casual day by day but that didn't mean that you can wear anything they want.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General