NATION

PASSWORD

Ethicaly questionable or just a perk of the job.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Unethical or jsut a perk of the job.

Unethical
7%
Just a perk of the job.
78%
Both
15%

Total votes : 55

Saaturia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saaturia » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:34 pm

Brogavia wrote:
Saaturia wrote:
Brogavia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:perk as long as you dont start demanding it or taking sex as payment.

This.

Another slightly releated question. Is it ethical for businesses in the service industry to charge an asshole fee? For example, the person who hires a repair man, treats them like dirt. Should the repair man be allowed to charge them extra?

I'd say that the "asshole fee" is a bit unethical. Assholes are just an "anti-perk" of the job. I don't think you should be allowed to secretly pad their bill.

Why? You are paying them to come into your home, because you are too lazy or too unedeucated to fix it yourself, and instead of treating them like a guest, and with respect, you treat them like shit. To compensate for them being an asshole, they should get charged extra.

What I have a problem with is the secrecy, the customer not knowing they are subject to an "asshole fee". If it's an agreed upon term, fine, but sneaking around and being an asshole back to an asshole is just, well, assholish.
And what qualifies one of being an asshole? They didn't greet you enthusiastically enough? You didn't offer them a chair after they finish? Say, for example, you get a phone call explaining a relative is deathly ill and the repair man comes a mere five minutes later. Should you be subject to extra fees because you are in a less-than-stellar mood?
Last edited by Saaturia on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.41

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:37 pm

Saaturia wrote:
Brogavia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:perk as long as you dont start demanding it or taking sex as payment.

This.

Another slightly releated question. Is it ethical for businesses in the service industry to charge an asshole fee? For example, the person who hires a repair man, treats them like dirt. Should the repair man be allowed to charge them extra?

I'd say that the "asshole fee" is a bit unethical. Assholes are just an "anti-perk" of the job. I don't think you should be allowed to secretly pad their bill.

I think its the danger of being an arsehole. Noone deserves to be treated the way I was working in a call centre by some people. Noone deserves to be treated the way some of my tradie friends are by clients. So tacking on a few extra fees for the ill-treatment that some morons with a superiority complex feel entitled to give those they perceive as beneath them.

I tend to lean towards the opinion that if I have to hire someone to repair or fix something, I should be respectful of the knowledge that they have in this area. So I tend to treat them as I would treat any other professional.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:40 pm

Saaturia wrote:
Brogavia wrote:

This.

it is unethical. but there are things you can do to assholes that is well within the legality of the job.

like failing to mention any specials they could take advantage of. I know some people who repaired my toilet would say, "we have a coupon in the newspaper... we'll give you advertised rate even tho you need the coupon."

but then again, I do shit like have drinks, snacks that they can help themselves to while they work.
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:41 pm

greed and death wrote:Well I work as a repairman at an apartment complex.
Recently several of the Tenants have discovered giving me beer or food helps to ensure I fix their problems in a much more timely manner. I can't say I intentionally get to them faster, but it is second nature to take care of those who are nicer first.

Unethical.

Not 'questionable' - it's unethical. If it was ethical, the question would never have popped into your head.
I identify as
a problem

La Habana
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby La Habana » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Recently several of the Tenants have discovered giving me beer or food helps to ensure I fix their problems in a much more timely manner. I can't say I intentionally get to them faster, but it is second nature to take care of those who are nicer first.

Why should you see it as ethically questionable? It heightens your sense of power, so what's wrong with that? All living beings exists to accumulate and expend their power, why should you feel guilty for it?
The Original CyberPunk Dystopia of NationStates.
Proteus of F7, God of Foresight and Transformation.
LA HABANA FACTBOOK
Council Member of The Vladivostok Alliance.
New Sociopia wrote:Really camp Jesus flailing his wrists wildly and saying 'Like, ohmygod! Get out of the temple bitches! You aren't nearly fabulous enough!'
La Habana wrote:
Kalasparata wrote:I own most of Antarctica!

Like hell you do.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:42 pm

Brogavia wrote:
Saaturia wrote:
Brogavia wrote:

This.

Why? You are paying them to come into your home, because you are too lazy or too unedeucated to fix it yourself, and instead of treating them like a guest, and with respect, you treat them like shit. To compensate for them being an asshole, they should get charged extra.

Point of order: they are not a guest. They are a paid employee.
That said: when someone does a good job, I'll give them a tip. The grocery delivery guy who carries my stuff upstairs gets at least $5.00 -- more if he's got to carry a lot of heavy stuff like soda. It's worth it to me to give him five bucks to avoid carrying stuff up to the second floor. If they deliver in shitty circumstances, or near a holiday, they get more.

Saaturia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Saaturia » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:43 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:
Saaturia wrote:
Brogavia wrote:

This.

I think its the danger of being an arsehole. Noone deserves to be treated the way I was working in a call centre by some people. Noone deserves to be treated the way some of my tradie friends are by clients. So tacking on a few extra fees for the ill-treatment that some morons with a superiority complex feel entitled to give those they perceive as beneath them.

I tend to lean towards the opinion that if I have to hire someone to repair or fix something, I should be respectful of the knowledge that they have in this area. So I tend to treat them as I would treat any other professional.

Again, some of these people with a superiority complex may just be dealing with something very difficult and personal and their behavior and demeanor comes off as being abrasive.
I'd like to ask you now, if a service-person is rude while visiting your home, is it ethical to pay them less? (Disregarding the legal ramifications of course)

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:43 pm

La Habana wrote:Why should you see it as ethically questionable? It heightens your sense of power, so what's wrong with that? All living beings exists to accumulate and expend their power, why should you feel guilty for it?

He might not be a fan of Nietzsche.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:43 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:
Saaturia wrote:
Brogavia wrote:

This.

except, when you try to explain to the lawyers why you are engaging in fraud... I don't think they'll buy the reason for the extra fees.

besides, such workers have ways to get back at those 'charming' customers without resorting to the illegal.

Saaturia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Saaturia » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:45 pm

JuNii wrote:
Saaturia wrote:
Brogavia wrote:

This.

it is unethical. but there are things you can do to assholes that is well within the legality of the job.

like failing to mention any specials they could take advantage of. I know some people who repaired my toilet would say, "we have a coupon in the newspaper... we'll give you advertised rate even tho you need the coupon."

but then again, I do shit like have drinks, snacks that they can help themselves to while they work.

Right, the service-person isn't required to do any favors for assholes, but sticking them with extra fees is, as I've been saying, unethical.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:52 pm

JuNii wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:
Saaturia wrote:
Brogavia wrote:

This.

except, when you try to explain to the lawyers why you are engaging in fraud... I don't think they'll buy the reason for the extra fees.

besides, such workers have ways to get back at those 'charming' customers without resorting to the illegal.

Normally Ive heard the asshole fee comes up when the contractor threatens to leave the job half done unless the person agrees to leave the premises for the rest of repairs and pay a much higher estimate.
I also here contractors all charge an arm and a leg if they are called to finish up a job another contractor left.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:59 pm

greed and death wrote:Normally Ive heard the asshole fee comes up when the contractor threatens to leave the job half done unless the person agrees to leave the premises for the rest of repairs and pay a much higher estimate.
I also here contractors all charge an arm and a leg if they are called to finish up a job another contractor left.

Depends on the situation.

normally, such 'asshole fee' is called "Penalty for Breach of Contract" and is written into the contracts.

as for contractors being called in to finish another's job? yeah, because the new contractor has to scramble to get things in order. even if using the old contractor's bids and what not.

but again, it depends on the situation. if the Contractor breaks the contract, sometimes the new contractor won't tack on additional fees.

Antilon
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Antilon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:04 pm

Flameswroth wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

That's a plumber, or a milkman, perk.

Or cable guy, or mailman.

Huh, I've always thought it was the butcher who delivers the meat...

I don't find a problem, IMO they're just nice people who know how to appreciate the people they're dependent on.

Rolling squid
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:07 pm

So long as you don't neglect those who don't give you stuff, I see nothing wrong here.
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

Disco Tetris
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Disco Tetris » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:07 pm

I'd say its a bit unethical, if you are doing things faster for those who give you gifts. Take the gifts only if you can still be unbiased in the duties of your job. You should work equally for those you are already paid to serve.

La Habana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby La Habana » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:09 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
La Habana wrote:Why should you see it as ethically questionable? It heightens your sense of power, so what's wrong with that? All living beings exists to accumulate and expend their power, why should you feel guilty for it?

True :ugeek:
The Original CyberPunk Dystopia of NationStates.
Proteus of F7, God of Foresight and Transformation.
LA HABANA FACTBOOK
Council Member of The Vladivostok Alliance.
New Sociopia wrote:Really camp Jesus flailing his wrists wildly and saying 'Like, ohmygod! Get out of the temple bitches! You aren't nearly fabulous enough!'
La Habana wrote:
Kalasparata wrote:I own most of Antarctica!

Like hell you do.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:11 pm

Antilon wrote:
Flameswroth wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

You win one internet.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:13 pm

La Habana wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

True :ugeek:

I actually am a fan of Nietzsche but I tend to leave the master,slave morality stuff at the door for NSG.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:17 pm

greed and death wrote:I actually am a fan of Nietzsche but I tend to leave the master,slave morality stuff at the door for NSG.

Kinda referring to GnI.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Unethical.

Not 'questionable' - it's unethical. If it was ethical, the question would never have popped into your head.

*accidentally turns off GNI's heat.*
Barack Obama

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:21 pm

greed and death wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

Unethical.

*accidentally turns off GNI's heat.*

...which would just be evidence. :)

It's true, though.

You know when people want to post slightly risky images on their flags, and they go and start a thread in Moderation saying something like "would it be okay to use this image *image* as a flag"? and the reply is always 'if you have to ask, you already know the answer'...?

Yeah. That.
I identify as
a problem

Mean Feat
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mean Feat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:32 pm

Unethical. If you're just doing such a great job that people "tip" you spontaneously then fine. It stops being that when you do a better or worse job depending on whether they're going to "tip".

Prioritizing jobs according to whether they pay tips may be fine for a contractor, who has an seperate business relationship with each client, but it isn't for a caretaker who is paid a wage to do services for all of the clients. I think it's questionable even for wait staff whose income is largely tips.

Money is coming out of each resident's rent, to employ Greed and Death. They're paying already, and they each deserve the same level of service. And if there is more caretaking work than g&d can do in his hours, and some residents are not getting service they've paid for unless they 'pay' extra, then that is corruption. It is taking bribes. Unethical.
— written by Mean Feat.

Mean Feat wrote:The Latham of the Liberals. Tony Abbott.

Tanya Plibersek Mon 22 Feb 2010 wrote:"Tony is the 'Mark Latham' of the Liberal Party.

She didn't get to explain why.

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:51 pm

I won't deal with ethics but with practicality.

For the sake of argument, I'm a renter. I pay $xxxx/mo for rent, this includes things like maintenance and repairs. So one fine day, the water heater dies and water gushes everywhere. My things are sodden, I can't bathe or wash dishes, I have to turn off the electricity because of the water. So I call the manager and request you to come to my place asap because it's an emergency. I have never given you a beer or a meal or any form of "perk". I have, however, been courteous to you and treated you with respect. Anyway, 24 hours and many, at first desparate and then angry, phone calls later, you finally toddle in and, in your desultory fashion, you barely fix the problem. The reason you give for your tardiness is that there were calls before me. I check into these calls and find that you were spending a couple of hours fixing the drippy faucet in the hot chicks apartment because she gave you a beer and another couple of hours tacking down the carpet of the old guy who let you watch the football game on his 52" HD TV. My first response is not to give you a beer, it's to complain to the manager and get your sorry ass fired.

This should be worthy of your consideration.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Antilon wrote:
Flameswroth wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

I don't find a problem, IMO they're just nice people who know how to appreciate the people they're dependent on.

and the Cable guy the cable...
Mailmen deliver the 'Package'
Plumbers will help clean your pipes...
Milkmen... they make the cream...

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Imsogone wrote:I won't deal with ethics but with practicality.

For the sake of argument, I'm a renter. I pay $xxxx/mo for rent, this includes things like maintenance and repairs. So one fine day, the water heater dies and water gushes everywhere. My things are sodden, I can't bathe or wash dishes, I have to turn off the electricity because of the water. So I call the manager and request you to come to my place asap because it's an emergency. I have never given you a beer or a meal or any form of "perk". I have, however, been courteous to you and treated you with respect. Anyway, 24 hours and many, at first desparate and then angry, phone calls later, you finally toddle in and, in your desultory fashion, you barely fix the problem. The reason you give for your tardiness is that there were calls before me. I check into these calls and find that you were spending a couple of hours fixing the drippy faucet in the hot chicks apartment because she gave you a beer and another couple of hours tacking down the carpet of the old guy who let you watch the football game on his 52" HD TV. My first response is not to give you a beer, it's to complain to the manager and get your sorry ass fired.

This should be worthy of your consideration.

I doubt that the call log will show "was at apt 309 repairing Hot Chick's leaky faucet because she gave me a beer."

It would most likely be "fixing pipes in apt 309", "Scheduled Carpentry work at 207".

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General