NATION

PASSWORD

Rape Thread [SAFE SPACE - Mod Enforced]

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Fri May 18, 2012 10:17 pm

Homosexy wrote:
Snoefsnuif wrote:I would advocate that rape be reclassified. In this country's legal system, it's a second-degree offense out of three degrees with maximum punishment a fine and five years in jail. I believe rapists sentence their victims to... well terrible things for the rest of their life, while the rapist escapes with only five years (theoretical maximum!) in prison. I can't imagine one'd have fond memories of being raped.

And those are the ones that were reported, and THEN get "guilty" in court, so it's a staggeringly low number in comparison to how much rape there is.
And then a lot of them get out early, for one reason or another. Put on parole, on good behavior, etc.
They don't get punished hard enough.

The weak link is reporting. Conviction conditional on reporting - in the US or UK - is fairly good for rape. The main thing keeping figures down is failure to report the crime. Early release is normal for all varieties of crime; it has a lot to do with prison overcrowding and the war on drugs. Most violent criminals released unexpectedly early can be laid at the feet of the War on Drugs, whose mandatory minimum sentencing guidelines have left much less room in jails for actual menaces to society.

In the UK, rape carries an average sentence longer than that of manslaughter. In the United States, this is also true. (This, by the way, may have something to do with the low rates at which rapists and murderers commit a new crime after having been convicted once; they're generally in there for a long time compared to other offenders.)

The justice system is not soft on rape in general, although there have been numerous local exceptions (e.g., Philadelphia circa 1970s-1980s). The cops may give you a hard time, and they may personally not all be paladins, but unless you recant your report or you happen to live in a particularly rotten jurisdiction, you should have faith that they will - as an organization - pursue the case with all the rigor available to them.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri May 18, 2012 10:33 pm

Romania Mare1 wrote:
Mm, I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, in my case at least. That was not a human, that was a piece of shit. Him and his friends, and I firmly think that this isn't the first time they've done it. Everything was too well planned for it to be their first rodeo.

fully agree
What makes us human if not our empathy ?
Also,why should we just forgive people ? What do we gain ? I mean it is one to forgive a friend for a small offense but it is another when the one to be forgiven is either a friend who crossed you big (hence not a friend ) or a stranger who,again,crossed you big. It is quite natural for us to want to see them dead and I see no reason to forgive. It is in our interest to pursue maximum pain for the offender. Society tries to be fair but that is not in the interest of the victim. Indeed,if society forgives that doesn't mean the victim has to.

Not that it is going to be easy or happen any time soon, but the forgiving is not for the victimizer's well-being. Letting go of the hate is one of the steps toward healing for the person wronged.

Hammurab
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Fri May 18, 2012 10:53 pm

Last edited by Hammurab on Fri May 18, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't be promising forever, George. Sooner or later, you must do something"

-The Libertine.

Romania Mare1
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romania Mare1 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Romania Mare1 wrote:fully agree
What makes us human if not our empathy ?
Also,why should we just forgive people ? What do we gain ? I mean it is one to forgive a friend for a small offense but it is another when the one to be forgiven is either a friend who crossed you big (hence not a friend ) or a stranger who,again,crossed you big. It is quite natural for us to want to see them dead and I see no reason to forgive. It is in our interest to pursue maximum pain for the offender. Society tries to be fair but that is not in the interest of the victim. Indeed,if society forgives that doesn't mean the victim has to.

Not that it is going to be easy or happen any time soon, but the forgiving is not for the victimizer's well-being. Letting go of the hate is one of the steps toward healing for the person wronged.

maybe you see it as healing,I don't. I think one can heal and still hate the shit out of the monster who abused them like they weren't human

Yaltabaoth
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaltabaoth » Fri May 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Hammurab wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Not that it is going to be easy or happen any time soon, but the forgiving is not for the victimizer's well-being. Letting go of the hate is one of the steps toward healing for the person wronged.

~removed~ .

Normally I love your work Hammurab (and it's great to see you back), but please, not in this thread.

Edit: thank you :)
Last edited by Yaltabaoth on Fri May 18, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hammurab
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Fri May 18, 2012 11:46 pm

Yaltabaoth wrote:
Normally I love your work Hammurab (and it's great to see you back), but please, not in this thread.

Right on, I'll go back and snip.
"You can't be promising forever, George. Sooner or later, you must do something"

-The Libertine.

Yaltabaoth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yaltabaoth » Sat May 19, 2012 12:39 am

David Williams wrote:
Romania Mare1 wrote:I doubt most rapists are either 40 or fat (not sure why,instinct I guess ). I imagine most to be young and quite well built

I thought a young well-built man would easily be able to have consensual sex, why them do it rather than a 40 yr old greasy fat guy who's probably extremely desperate?
Homosexy wrote:You can't stick rapists in a demographic. They come in all shapes and sizes and ages.

Can you explain why it wouldn't be a specific group of people who have more reason to rape others than other groups?

In Australia, there's a disturbingly high frequency of rape accusations against AFL (Aus Football League) players, pretty much all of whom are fit, handsome and incredibly popular young men.
They're practically Australian Royalty, the way they're indulged and fawned over.

Why would they commit rape? Because they can. Because they're likely to get away with it, due to their prestige and the wealth and privilege that goes with being a "sporting hero".
Because they are so heavily invested in that the legal resources they can muster in defense of a rape charge will far outweigh anything the victim can possibly hope to bring to court.
And because they have been taught to believe that they deserve to get whatever they want, but only if they have the will to take it for themselves.

The stereotypical idea that a rapist is a sad old unloved loser is another part of the problem, because it makes people less likely to believe an accusation against a popular figure.

Creative Vikings
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Creative Vikings » Sat May 19, 2012 12:40 am

What would you call it if two children were forced to copulate for the amusement of 18 year old?

Because I was one of those children, when I was 6.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat May 19, 2012 12:46 am

Creative Vikings wrote:What would you call it if two children were forced to copulate for the amusement of 18 year old?

That is still rape, since it was forced by some party.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Creative Vikings
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Creative Vikings » Sat May 19, 2012 12:47 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Creative Vikings wrote:What would you call it if two children were forced to copulate for the amusement of 18 year old?

That is still rape, since it was forced by some party.

Well that sucks.

Yaltabaoth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yaltabaoth » Sat May 19, 2012 12:48 am

I would call it rape, child abuse, and utterly despicable.

I am so very sorry that you suffered that experience.

Lackadaisical Hopes
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lackadaisical Hopes » Sat May 19, 2012 12:48 am

Sexual harassment?
The cutiest lil kiwi you ever saw!
No I am not Lackadaisical2
I used to be Chatkasatan.
Hella Old
Bi

Lackadaisical2 wrote: Mm, now I miss Chat, she is a bundle of fun wrapped in sexy.
Grenartia wrote:I swear, if I'm the God of Kinky, then you're the Goddess.
New England and The Maritimes wrote:Joshy was right about Chatty. You can't help but feel naughty when you're caught in her sexy tractor beam. :lol:
Big Jim P wrote:Nana is my mother, Chat is my daughter, and Roan is my very surprised wife.
New Maldorainia wrote:I shall name you Daisy.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat May 19, 2012 12:50 am

Yaltabaoth wrote:

Said it better than me.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Creative Vikings
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Creative Vikings » Sat May 19, 2012 12:56 am

Yaltabaoth wrote:

Is it aq good thing I'm not too phased abou it? I mean, that dickhead died in a crash a couple years back, his own drunken fault of course.
Lackadaisical Hopes wrote:

Sexual harassment?

I usually assume that that is in word form.

Yaltabaoth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yaltabaoth » Sat May 19, 2012 1:08 am

Creative Vikings wrote:
Yaltabaoth wrote:

Is it aq good thing I'm not too phased abou it? I mean, that dickhead died in a crash a couple years back, his own drunken fault of course.

Everyone deals with shit in their own way.

I think it is a good thing if that experience has passed for you and doesn't burden you now.

Creative Vikings
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Creative Vikings » Sat May 19, 2012 1:11 am

Yaltabaoth wrote:
Creative Vikings wrote:Is it aq good thing I'm not too phased abou it? I mean, that dickhead died in a crash a couple years back, his own drunken fault of course.

Everyone deals with shit in their own way.

I think it is a good thing if that experience has passed for you and doesn't burden you now.

It merely an occasional thorn deep in my memories now.

David Williams
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby David Williams » Sat May 19, 2012 1:14 am

Yaltabaoth wrote:
David Williams wrote:I thought a young well-built man would easily be able to have consensual sex, why them do it rather than a 40 yr old greasy fat guy who's probably extremely desperate?

Can you explain why it wouldn't be a specific group of people who have more reason to rape others than other groups?

In Australia, there's a disturbingly high frequency of rape accusations against AFL (Aus Football League) players, pretty much all of whom are fit, handsome and incredibly popular young men.
They're practically Australian Royalty, the way they're indulged and fawned over.

Why would they commit rape? Because they can. Because they're likely to get away with it, due to their prestige and the wealth and privilege that goes with being a "sporting hero".
Because they are so heavily invested in that the legal resources they can muster in defense of a rape charge will far outweigh anything the victim can possibly hope to bring to court.
And because they have been taught to believe that they deserve to get whatever they want, but only if they have the will to take it for themselves.

The stereotypical idea that a rapist is a sad old unloved loser is another part of the problem, because it makes people less likely to believe an accusation against a popular figure.

Well yeah, they can get away with the rape, but that isn't a reason they would want to do it. there has to be a good reason, otherwise they can always have consensual sex. Even if they wanted to "try someone new", the big bucks they earn could buy them unlimited prostitute's.
Why rape someone when it's illegal, for a small fraction of your money you can do it legally, or a small fraction of your time? I mean obviously going to jail would cost a lot more time/money.
I'm wanting to know what single factor there is that would make an ordinary everyday person want to commit a rape.
Economic 4.88, social -1.38, Right leaning Libertarian.
Social
Views
No marriage should be recognized by the state, they need to keep out of other people's personal relationships.
None except in large threats to mother's life or rape.
Legalize weed and then tax the shit out of it.

Economic
Views
(Under construction).

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Sat May 19, 2012 1:21 am

David Williams wrote:
Yaltabaoth wrote:

Well yeah, they can get away with the rape, but that isn't a reason they would want to do it.

Probably because they think they can get away with it.

That's generally the only justification a rapist would need.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Yaltabaoth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yaltabaoth » Sat May 19, 2012 1:37 am

David Williams wrote:
Yaltabaoth wrote:

Well yeah, they can get away with the rape, but that isn't a reason they would want to do it. there has to be a good reason, otherwise they can always have consensual sex. Even if they wanted to "try someone new", the big bucks they earn could buy them unlimited prostitute's.
Why rape someone when it's illegal, for a small fraction of your money you can do it legally, or a small fraction of your time? I mean obviously going to jail would cost a lot more time/money.
I'm wanting to know what single factor there is that would make an ordinary everyday person want to commit a rape.

Rape is about having power over another person. And a person really has to believe that they have some kind of right to hold that power over another person before they'll actually act on it.

When a person steals, they (a) want something, (b) can't afford that thing, and (c) believe that they deserve to have that thing.

It's not the best analogy, but it's basically true about rape, especially (c) - in acting, a rapist has convinced themselves that they are somehow entitled to, or deserve, sexual access to another person.

Sure a privileged person could buy whatever they wanted, but they'll know it's not real.

Romania Mare1
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romania Mare1 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:51 am

so I was right :D
good instinct is good instinct

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Sun May 20, 2012 2:56 am

Yaltabaoth wrote:
David Williams wrote:I thought a young well-built man would easily be able to have consensual sex, why them do it rather than a 40 yr old greasy fat guy who's probably extremely desperate?

The part that I have bolded/underlined largely stems from the myth that rape is about sex/lust. For the most part, it's about power, control, violence, and rage.
Last edited by Wikipedia and Universe on Sun May 20, 2012 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

Homosexy
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Homosexy » Mon May 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Tonight will mark one month since it happened (which is awkward cuz today is also my birthday) and I just kind of wanted to say again that I'm super proud of everyone in here who came out and talked about their own experiences, and the community that's here. <3

Thanks so much you guyses.
Hii!! My name is Shellby. Yes, I am a girl. Yes, that is me in my flag. :)
There's only us. There's only this. Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other road, no other way. No day but today.
Love and expression, not hate and oppression!!~

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Mon May 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Homosexy wrote:Tonight will mark one month since it happened (which is awkward cuz today is also my birthday) and I just kind of wanted to say again that I'm super proud of everyone in here who came out and talked about their own experiences, and the community that's here. <3

I hope you are starting to heal with all these kind words. Nothing like this has happened to me, and I hope it never will.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Creative Vikings
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Creative Vikings » Mon May 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Homosexy wrote:Tonight will mark one month since it happened (which is awkward cuz today is also my birthday) and I just kind of wanted to say again that I'm super proud of everyone in here who came out and talked about their own experiences, and the community that's here. <3

Oh okay.

Well I hope my experience ceases it's nagging.

Gravlen
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 01, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Gravlen » Mon May 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:
Yaltabaoth wrote:

The part that I have bolded/underlined largely stems from the myth that rape is about sex/lust. For the most part, it's about power, control, violence, and rage.

It's not exactly a myth. Rape can be about sex/lust. It doesn't have to be, but you can't say it never is about sex/lust.
EnragedMaldivians wrote:That's preposterous. Gravlens's not a white nationalist; Gravlen's a penguin.

Unio de Sovetaj Socialismaj Respublikoj wrote:There is no use arguing the definition of murder with someone who has a picture of a penguin with a chainsaw as their nations flag.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General