NATION

PASSWORD

for many... yes, the Titanic was a real event...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:38 am

Horsefish wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I beg to differ. You're referring to an event that has, after 100 of it happening, captured the interest of people all over. And it still does. It proved to be in its time a major disaster that still baffles people in that it could've been prevented or more lives could have been saved. After the sinking f the Titanic, many new regulations in maritime transport were either created or, the ones that were in place, re-thought.

Yes, it was a maritime disaster, but that doesn't take from the fact that it was also a disaster in historical terms. And a major one.

Yes, it captures the intrest of people. So do cats doing funny and intresting things, this isn't a measure of how significant it is. It shows it's a very good story and appeals to people. It would also be intresting to see how many people cared about the titanic before the film.
Here's where you're misunderstanding me-it was a major historical event, in maritime terms. On the grand scale of things that happened that century-WWI, WWII etc, it's a minor footnote.

It is remembered. So I don't think people consider it a mere footnote. It might've been small to its generation, but it isn't so to subsequent ones.

If it hadn't been the 'unsinkable' ship I doubt we would even be having this conversation. I doubt even less people have heard of the sinking of the Lusitania, that resulte din the death of around 1,100 people and a shift in the American public's perception of the first world war.

We would probably be talking about it even at that since it was the biggest ocean cruiser at the time. 1,1500 people or more died.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Horsefish
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Horsefish » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:43 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It is remembered. So I don't think people consider it a mere footnote. It might've been small to its generation, but it isn't so to subsequent ones.

That still does't make it a significant historical event. The Korean war for example, is quite often treated as a footnote or not really remembered. Yet that was much more significant than the titanic.

Death toll doesn't really factor into it-We rarely discuss the armenian genocide or any other event in history where lots of people die. The reason the Titanic is remembered is the story (which most people base o the film, not actual events).
Areopagitican wrote:I'm not an expert in the field of moron, but what I think he's saying is that if you have to have sex with Shakira (or another dirty ethnic), at the very least, it must be part of a threesome with a white woman. It's a sacrifice, but someone has to make it.

Geniasis wrote:Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go bludgeon some whales to death with my 12-ft dick.

Georgism wrote:
Geniasis wrote:Maybe if you showered every now and then...

That's what the Nazis said, we're not falling for that one again.

The Western Reaches wrote:I learned that YOU are the reason I embarrassed myself by saying "Horsefish" instead of "Seahorse" this one time in school.

What's wrong with a little destruction?

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:43 am

Shrillland wrote::( Are people REALLY this stupid? I'm sorry but this just takes the prize for this year. This has brought me down for the rest of the day.

Oh ffs, if there is one thing I can't stand it is this plethora of weeping and depressed people in this thread that will not hesitate to use every opportunity available to exlcaim how something like this made them lose (all) faith in humanity(including themselves).

:palm: x 3

Horsefish wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Bloody hell people are stupid.

The pope is also catholic and aparently bear's shit in the woods.

Why don't you two speak for your self?

Are people paedophiles or mass murdering sociopaths because a few are?

Correct sentence would be: "Bloody hell some people are stupid."
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:51 am

Horsefish wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It is remembered. So I don't think people consider it a mere footnote. It might've been small to its generation, but it isn't so to subsequent ones.

That still does't make it a significant historical event. The Korean war for example, is quite often treated as a footnote or not really remembered. Yet that was much more significant than the titanic.

Death toll doesn't really factor into it-We rarely discuss the armenian genocide or any other event in history where lots of people die. The reason the Titanic is remembered is the story (which most people base o the film, not actual events).

My apologies, it is indeed considered a major maritime disaster, in fact, one of the biggest in history. I just think it was historically relevant, and major. For one, it continues to grip us, a century after it happened. The loss of life was terrible, and it could have been prevented.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Horsefish
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Horsefish » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:54 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:My apologies, it is indeed considered a major maritime disaster, in fact, one of the biggest in history. I just think it was historically relevant, and major. For one, it continues to grip us, a century after it happened. The loss of life was terrible, and it could have been prevented.

I don't disagree with you, I just feel it was only majorly significant (historically) to people intrested in Maritime history. It had a profound impact in that area but not much beyond that.
It is quite a good story and as such people get quite fond of it and remember it, especially around the anniversary :P
Last edited by Horsefish on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Areopagitican wrote:I'm not an expert in the field of moron, but what I think he's saying is that if you have to have sex with Shakira (or another dirty ethnic), at the very least, it must be part of a threesome with a white woman. It's a sacrifice, but someone has to make it.

Geniasis wrote:Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go bludgeon some whales to death with my 12-ft dick.

Georgism wrote:

The Western Reaches wrote:I learned that YOU are the reason I embarrassed myself by saying "Horsefish" instead of "Seahorse" this one time in school.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:56 am

Horsefish wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:My apologies, it is indeed considered a major maritime disaster, in fact, one of the biggest in history. I just think it was historically relevant, and major. For one, it continues to grip us, a century after it happened. The loss of life was terrible, and it could have been prevented.

I don't disagree with you, I just feel it was only really significantly (historically) to people intrested in Maritime history. It is quite a good story and as such people get quite fond of it and remember it, especially around the anniversary :P

I do find it rather sad that there are people who didn't know that it did happen. People who thought it was just an invention. Are we that disconnected nowadays? :?

I don't mean it as a critique, I am genuinely puzzled.
Slava Ukraini

New Falklands (Ancient)
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Falklands (Ancient) » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:05 am

I propose the requirement of a license to exist, all in favour say 'aye'.
Economic Left/Right: -3.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.13

(im quite close to Gandhi believe it or not)

Buama
Envoy

Founded: Mar 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Buama » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:44 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
What is really disappointing is that some people thought the Titanic was a Hollywood invention. That the lessons were learned is fine, but the tragedy should be remembered, if for nothing else than that it was a senseless loss of life. Why shouldn't the younger generations learn about this? Is it so bad to actually learn history?

You yourself ignore or are ignorant of a whole plethora of senseless deaths. Why does it suddenly become aneurysm inducing when your knowledge of this particular event isn't shared by others?

Should we stop teaching about the injustices of slavery since the 'lessons' about it might have been learned? Should we stop teaching about the Holocaust? About WWI or WWII?

The events you are describing set the important context for todays social peculiarities. They are necessary for this purpose.

Learning that you shouldn't have less lifeboat spaces than people on a boat or there might be deaths arising needs no background.

Horsefish
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Horsefish » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:08 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I do find it rather sad that there are people who didn't know that it did happen. People who thought it was just an invention. Are we that disconnected nowadays? :?

People don't know a lot of things in history happened. I suspect without the film Titanic would'nt hold the space it does today.

Georgism wrote:

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Horsefish wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I do find it rather sad that there are people who didn't know that it did happen. People who thought it was just an invention. Are we that disconnected nowadays? :?

People don't know a lot of things in history happened. I suspect without the film Titanic would'nt hold the space it does today.

When I was was in school, the Titanic sinking was studied. And this was in the mid to late 80s, before the movie.
Slava Ukraini

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:30 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Horsefish wrote:

When I was was in school, the Titanic sinking was studied. And this was in the mid to late 80s, before the movie.

And I have no doubt schools in places like Southhampton and Belfast do projects on it.
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:32 pm

Kylarnatia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

And I have no doubt schools in places like Southhampton and Belfast do projects on it.

No doubt, which is why the ignorance of some people about the subject is rather puzzling.
Slava Ukraini

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Kylarnatia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Well...when I was in primary school, because primary would be the only level it would be approprite, in Belfast it wasn't mentioned. And, yes, this was before the movie.

This is because the Titanic sinking is not, as some people claim for baffling reasons, a significant historical event. It may well be an interesting historical event, but that's quite a different matter.
Last edited by Nadkor on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Postby Kylarnatia » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Nadkor wrote:
Kylarnatia wrote:

Well...when I was in primary school, because primary would be the only level it would be approprite, in Belfast it wasn't mentioned. And, yes, this was before the movie.

This is because the Titanic sinking is not, as some people claim for baffling reasons, a significant historical event. It may well be an interesting historical event, but that's quite a different matter.

It was the biggest peacetime maritime disaster. It saw new international regulations introduced, including a sea patrol specifically to look out for iceburgs. It was huge evidence towards the class divide in society, among other things. And even after 100 Years, cruise liners are now retracing its path and paying their respects.

How the hell can people not call it significant?
Last edited by Kylarnatia on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:19 pm

Kylarnatia wrote:
Nadkor wrote:

It was the biggest peacetime maritime disaster. It saw new international regulations introduced, including a sea patrol specifically to look out for iceburgs. It was huge evidence towards the class divide in society, among other things. And even after 100 Years, cruise liners are now retracing its path and paying their respects.

Okay, so it precipitated a change in maritime law. So it's significant for maritime law. There have been thousands of events that are legally significant. This does not make it a particularly significant historical event.

As for the rest? Yeah, that's because it's an interesting historical event. You seem to be confusing significant with interesting.

What, outside of changes to maritime law, were the real and readily felt long-term historical ramifications of the Titanic sinking?

Interesting =/= significant.

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Postby Kylarnatia » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Nadkor wrote:
Kylarnatia wrote:

Okay, so it precipitated a change in maritime law. So it's significant for maritime law. There have been thousands of events that are legally significant. This does not make it a particularly significant historical event.

As for the rest? Yeah, that's because it's an interesting historical event. You seem to be confusing significant with interesting.

What, outside of changes to maritime law, were the real and readily felt long-term historical ramifications of the Titanic sinking?

If you went to talk to the relatives of those who died on the Titanic, they don't say they pay their respects because they find it 'interesting', they do so because it is significant to them. If you ask why they built the new Titanic Centre in Belfast, they'll say it's because it is significant to the history of the city. If you ask why they dropped flowers into the waters of Southampton Dock, it's because it is a significant pay of respect.

If anything, you're confusing interesting with significant.

The Southern Dictators
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Southern Dictators » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Eh.
PT Factbook Under ConstructionPMT Factbook Under Heavy ConstructionFT Factbook Under Heavy Construction

GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Volnotova wrote:Oh ffs, if there is one thing I can't stand it is this plethora of weeping and depressed people in this thread that will not hesitate to use every opportunity available to exlcaim how something like this made them lose (all) faith in humanity(including themselves).

:palm: x 3

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:37 pm

As horrible as thinking the Titanic was just a film, in Sophmore yera of high school my history teacher showed Red Dawn. Around half the kids minds were blown when they found out that there was in fact no WWIII and the movie just a meh work of fictionm instead of stunningly accurate portrayal of American history. That my friends was stupidity at its height.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Kylarnatia wrote:
Nadkor wrote:

If you went to talk to the relatives of those who died on the Titanic, they don't say they pay their respects because they find it 'interesting', they do so because it is significant to them. If you ask why they built the new Titanic Centre in Belfast, they'll say it's because it is significant to the history of the city. If you ask why they dropped flowers into the waters of Southampton Dock, it's because it is a significant pay of respect.

Yeah, this isn't an actual argument. Being significant to select groups of people who have a vested interest in it does not make it an historically significant event.

Notwithstanding the fact that I'm 26 and, aside from a few years away in England for university, have spent my life in Belfast and don't consider the Titanic sinking significant for the history of the city in any way, shape, or form, and neither does anyone else I know. Many, many, more important and more significant to Belfast things have happened in the last 40 years. Some boat that was built here sinking 100 years ago? Nope. And the building? This.
Last edited by Nadkor on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Postby Kylarnatia » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Nadkor wrote:
Kylarnatia wrote:

Yeah, this isn't an actual argument. Being significant to select groups of people who have a vested interest in it does not make it an historically significant event.

Notwithstanding the fact that I'm 26 and, aside from a few years away in England for university, have spent my life in Belfast and don't consider the Titanic sinking significant for the history of the city in any way, shape, or form, and neither does anyone else I know. Many, many, more important and more significant to Belfast things have happened in the last 40 years. Some boat that was built here sinking 100 years ago? Nope.

So 1500 lives mean nothing, do they? You seem to act as if that's like a group of ten. Unnecessary amounts of people died that night.

And another thing: that's your opinion. Your opinion doesn't represent that of an entire city, an entire world. Granted, my opinion doesn't represent everyone elses either. So, in effect, we're beating each other :P

But my point still stands; they don't hold orchestral concerts, memorial services nationwide, and actually retake the route just because they find it interesting. When an entire nation pays its respects, it must have some significance in the history of said nation.

Pith Helmeted Nonsense
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pith Helmeted Nonsense » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:53 pm

The Titanic was a real ship?!?!?!

Last edited by Pith Helmeted Nonsense on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bow Before Pith!

Leerrooyy Jeennkkiinnss!

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:54 pm

Kylarnatia wrote:
Nadkor wrote:

Notwithstanding the fact that I'm 26 and, aside from a few years away in England for university, have spent my life in Belfast and don't consider the Titanic sinking significant for the history of the city in any way, shape, or form, and neither does anyone else I know. Many, many, more important and more significant to Belfast things have happened in the last 40 years. Some boat that was built here sinking 100 years ago? Nope.

So 1500 lives mean nothing, do they? You seem to act as if that's like a group of ten. Unnecessary amounts of people died that night.

How many people died, from whatever cause, in the 20th century? How many people died, from whatever cause in the 1910s? How many people died, from whatever cause, in 1912?

Is 1500 people dying sad? Yes. Is 1500 people dying in the way they did interesting? Yes. Is 1500 people dying significant? Possibly. Is 1500 people dying when a boat sank significant? Nope.

And another thing: that's your opinion. Your opinion doesn't represent that of an entire city, an entire world. Granted, my opinion doesn't represent everyone elses either. So, in effect, we're beating each other :P

But my point still stands; they don't hold orchestral concerts, memorial services nationwide, and actually retake the route just because they find it interesting. When an entire nation pays its respects, it must have some significance in the history of said nation.

Again, nothing to show why it is significant and not merely interesting.

Again, I ask: outside of the changes made to maritime law what were the long-term real and readily felt ramifications of the Titanic sinking?

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm not a violent person... but I kind of want to punch those people in the faces for being that stupid.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Ende
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ende » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:58 pm

There is no way that people can actually be that stupid.

NO WAY.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Ende wrote:There is no way that people can actually be that stupid.

NO WAY.

Sadly... Twitter (yet again) shows they can.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General