NATION

PASSWORD

The Best Book In The World

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:17 pm

With that said, I bought Postmaster-General: $9.99 long ago, so...

My favorite book so far has to be the Codex Seraphinianus. The whole book is a bizarre experience.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:19 pm

The Lusty Argonian Maid :p
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Xerographica
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Valentine Z wrote:With that said, I bought Postmaster-General: $9.99 long ago, so...

My favorite book so far has to be the Codex Seraphinianus. The whole book is a bizarre experience.

Sorry but prior donations can't be used for your favorite book. If you want to donate for it then you'll have to make a donation for another member. But you're welcome to vote for this book.
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Iono, Foundation I guess.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:With that said, I bought Postmaster-General: $9.99 long ago, so...

Sorry but prior donations can't be used for your favorite book. If you want to donate for it then you'll have to make a donation for another member. But you're welcome to vote for this book.

As much as I hope the result of all this is that you look like a fool, this seems like a poor mechanic designed to disenfranchise those of us who needed unlimited inboxes in years long past. Could telegram stamps be used as an acceptable alternative?
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:29 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Xerographica wrote:Sorry but prior donations can't be used for your favorite book. If you want to donate for it then you'll have to make a donation for another member. But you're welcome to vote for this book.

As much as I hope the result of all this is that you look like a fool, this seems like a poor mechanic designed to disenfranchise those of us who needed unlimited inboxes in years long past. Could telegram stamps be used as an acceptable alternative?

No. Buying stamps doesn't put a trophy on your Nation page. Trophies are the only accepted proof of purchase.
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:31 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:As much as I hope the result of all this is that you look like a fool, this seems like a poor mechanic designed to disenfranchise those of us who needed unlimited inboxes in years long past. Could telegram stamps be used as an acceptable alternative?

No. Buying stamps doesn't put a trophy on your Nation page. Trophies are the only accepted proof of purchase.

How can you hope this to be truly valid, then, if the sorts of people most willing to give money to NationStates will all have already done so? You've created a rather nasty sampling bias for yourself.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Xerographica wrote:Sorry but prior donations can't be used for your favorite book. If you want to donate for it then you'll have to make a donation for another member. But you're welcome to vote for this book.

Really?
Welp take me off the list, gonna make my own thread, not dealing with this mechanic.

Not sure if I understand you correctly. You want me to remove the book you voted for from the voting poll?

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:35 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:Really?
Welp take me off the list, gonna make my own thread, not dealing with this mechanic.

Not sure if I understand you correctly. You want me to remove the book you voted for from the voting poll?

No, he's saying your system of voting is trash
All shall tremble before me

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Xerographica wrote:No. Buying stamps doesn't put a trophy on your Nation page. Trophies are the only accepted proof of purchase.

How can you hope this to be truly valid, then, if the sorts of people most willing to give money to NationStates will all have already done so? You've created a rather nasty sampling bias for yourself.

There aren't any members that you'd be happy to give the gift of no ads?

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:How can you hope this to be truly valid, then, if the sorts of people most willing to give money to NationStates will all have already done so? You've created a rather nasty sampling bias for yourself.

Very honestly, no. Neither the gift of no ads for someone else nor voting in the poll is something I'd find worth spending for.

I'm still rather baffled someone did it for me years ago.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
Also, N A N A ! ! !

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Xerographica wrote:

In my defense, a purchase is still a purchase, ain't it? I mean, it might have been months ago, but the trophy is still there, and this is my FIRST vote here.

But I digress. Since you're the OP, I respect that decision, even if I don't exactly agree.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:43 pm

The Holy Therns wrote:
Xerographica wrote:There aren't any members that you'd be happy to give the gift of no ads?

Very honestly, no. Neither the gift of no ads for someone else nor voting in the poll is something I'd find worth spending for.

Are there any members that you'd be happy to buy a tamale for?

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:How can you hope this to be truly valid, then, if the sorts of people most willing to give money to NationStates will all have already done so? You've created a rather nasty sampling bias for yourself.

Not if my donation doesn't count for more. Those who purchase for themselves derive a direct benefit from the purchase in addition to being able to have their vote recorded, whereas I would derive no such direct benefit.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:45 pm

Xerographica wrote:
The Holy Therns wrote:

Are there any members that you'd be happy to buy a tamale for?

I wouldn't know. I've never tried a tamale.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
Also, N A N A ! ! !

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:48 pm

The Holy Therns wrote:
Xerographica wrote:Are there any members that you'd be happy to buy a tamale for?

Gurl, that's so sad. You need to go get your life changed.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:49 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Xerographica wrote:There aren't any members that you'd be happy to give the gift of no ads?

Not if my donation doesn't count for more. Those who purchase for themselves derive a direct benefit from the purchase in addition to being able to have their vote recorded, whereas I would derive no such direct benefit.

To be clear, if you make a donation for another member, then the trophy on their Nation page is proof of your donation, which you can apply to your favorite book. So you essentially kill three birds with one stone...

1. Support Max Barry
2. Eliminate ads for a buddy
3. Participate in the donation poll

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:52 pm

The Holy Therns wrote:
Xerographica wrote:Are there any members that you'd be happy to buy a tamale for?

Why have you never tried a tamale before? Is there a tariff on tamales?

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:Not if my donation doesn't count for more. Those who purchase for themselves derive a direct benefit from the purchase in addition to being able to have their vote recorded, whereas I would derive no such direct benefit.

To be clear, if you make a donation for another member, then the trophy on their Nation page is proof of your donation, which you can apply to your favorite book. So you essentially kill three birds with one stone...

1. Support Max Barry

What if I hate every single other person on this god-forsaken hellsite? What if the pain that eliminating these ads would bring me far outweighs any pleasure I might derive from the other two things?
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Xerographica wrote:
The Holy Therns wrote:

Why have you never tried a tamale before? Is there a tariff on tamales?

Dunno any place that serves them or anyone who makes them.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
Also, N A N A ! ! !

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:It's J.C Mccrae (Wildbow)'s:

Worm.

There are no competitors, save for J.c Mccrrae (Wildbow)'s:

Ward

Eh, Twig was pretty good. Pact could have been great if the main character had a personality.

ALSO: The Lusty Argonian Maid.
Last edited by Dogmeat on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Xerographica wrote:To be clear, if you make a donation for another member, then the trophy on their Nation page is proof of your donation, which you can apply to your favorite book. So you essentially kill three birds with one stone...

1. Support Max Barry

What if I hate every single other person on this god-forsaken hellsite? What if the pain that eliminating these ads would bring me far outweighs any pleasure I might derive from the other two things?

To be clear, my solution is nowhere close to optimal. Ideally we could choose to have every single payment/donation be displayed on our Nation page.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:It's J.C Mccrae (Wildbow)'s:

Worm.

There are no competitors, save for J.c Mccrrae (Wildbow)'s:

Ward

Eh, Twig was pretty good. Pact could have been great if the main character had a personality.

Yush.

Are you Parahumans fan too?
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:01 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:Eh, Twig was pretty good. Pact could have been great if the main character had a personality.

Yush.

Are you Parahumans fan too?

Of course. Though I'm finding Ward difficult since Panacea was always my favorite character.
Last edited by Dogmeat on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:01 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

To be clear, my solution is nowhere close to optimal. Ideally we could choose to have every single payment/donation be displayed on our Nation page.

mate, just saying this because you're model is a bit off, but why would I donate to this thing rather than donate to Wildbow, who had a patreon and such for his books online. If I wanted to vote, i'd donate cash to him, not here.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction