NATION

PASSWORD

Metal Genre Music Discussion - Vol. 4

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

What was your favorite Metal Album of the year accursed (2020)?

2R0I2P0 by Boris with Merzbow
2
14%
Rise Radiant by Caligula's Horse
2
14%
Underneath by Code Orange
0
No votes
Ohms by Deftones
3
21%
Alphaville by Imperial Triumphant
0
No votes
Mestarin kynsi by Oranssi Pazuzu
0
No votes
I Disagree by Poppy
0
No votes
The God-Shaped Void by Psychotic Waltz
0
No votes
Stare Into Death and Be Still by Ulcerate
1
7%
Other (leave comment)
6
43%
 
Total votes : 14

User avatar
Cadonica
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34953
Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:47 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:Lot of haters in this thread. I guess it's just not possible for some people to suck it up and simply say "meh, didn't like it/not my thing" and move on.

"This is terrible" = "I don't like this/not my thing"

It's literally the same thing, stop taking things so damn personally and you'll see a dramatic drop in these so called "haters".
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

User avatar
Corrian
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 71539
Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:32 am

I am also trying to go through more metal again. Listening to Ensiferum. Unpopular opinion it seems (Based off of your RYM ratings), but their self-titled album is...okay, not great.
My Last.FM and RYM

RP's hosted by me: The Last of Us RP's

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

User avatar
Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5496
Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:10 pm

This is pretty neat. It has a nice older, Manowar-esque sound yet it's not actually that old.

This is also pretty cool, though I'm not sure if it properly qualifies as Heavy Metal. I can't find much on the band other than they're from Tucson, Arizona and I saw them described as "Hard Rock" instead of "Heavy Metal" but that outro solo sounds more metal than rock to me. They kinda remind me of Black Sabbath, especially at the beginning of the solo.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

User avatar
Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5496
Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:43 pm

☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

User avatar
Ameriganastan
Post Czar
 
Posts: 49308
Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:47 pm

I've been on a Manowar spree today. They sure love the line "Swords in the wind". I keep hearing that bit in like every song.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

User avatar
Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5496
Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:12 pm

I've only recently discovered this song and it feels like I was honestly wasting my time before. This is quite honestly one of the best metal songs ever, period. Maybe even the best. It's pretty fucking phenomenal all around. That something this heavy was recorded in 1979 and released in 1980 just boggles my mind. It's incredible; listening to it the first time felt like I was being baptized. This is the shit right here. This is the real, heavy shit that makes metal so awesome. I can't get enough of this song and I'm completely morbid that I never knew about these guys before because they fucking ROCK. Didn't even know Metallica covered this song. I probably heard it but their version clearly didn't stick in my mind like the original (yes, I know this is a re-record) did.

Completely kickass. I need to check out the rest of this album to see what else I've been missing because I clearly didn't know metal as well as I thought I did.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

User avatar
Cadonica
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34953
Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:03 am

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:I've only recently discovered this song and it feels like I was honestly wasting my time before. This is quite honestly one of the best metal songs ever, period. Maybe even the best. It's pretty fucking phenomenal all around. That something this heavy was recorded in 1979 and released in 1980 just boggles my mind. It's incredible; listening to it the first time felt like I was being baptized. This is the shit right here. This is the real, heavy shit that makes metal so awesome. I can't get enough of this song and I'm completely morbid that I never knew about these guys before because they fucking ROCK. Didn't even know Metallica covered this song. I probably heard it but their version clearly didn't stick in my mind like the original (yes, I know this is a re-record) did.

Completely kickass. I need to check out the rest of this album to see what else I've been missing because I clearly didn't know metal as well as I thought I did.

One of the greatest (metal) albums of all time.

I found them because of Metallica's covers, they covered 4 out of 7 songs on that album, but after listening to the whole album I can say that it's far better than Metallica's covers. And this is coming from a Metallica fan :p
Last edited by Cadonica on Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

User avatar
Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5496
Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:48 pm

☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu


User avatar
Free Ravensburg
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1382
Founded: Jun 01, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Free Ravensburg » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:29 pm

Doom Eternal OST
INT:| Teutonia and Lithuania for Ceasefire | Mali-South Saharan Ceasefire Ends as Mali Troops Cross DMZ Border / NAT:| Ravenian Adventurer Dies After Taking Arrow in the Knee, Perpetrators to be Captured | Viktor Leimstag releases more military info | Ravenia was Lewded Again | Adolph Hesse to Step Down as Head Diplomat, Elections Underway
Part of a Multiverse I started in Grade School | We still outpizza the Hut | Me writing Factbooks | Declare War? Yes/No | How we stole Ari’s blanket | Making Second F7 Movie, But Old Horror Movie Will be Stolen Used as Inspiration | My political alignment via 6triangles | Q&A | Factbooks made by me are formatted to be similar to essays, minus indentation | My other Counterpart | Nations I own:Enth Arth|Multiversal Raiders

User avatar
Cadonica
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34953
Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:53 am

I just remembered there was some talk about metal thread/general music thread Discord at some point, did that ever go anywhere?
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

User avatar
Impaled Nazarene
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9911
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:19 am

Cadonica wrote:I just remembered there was some talk about metal thread/general music thread Discord at some point, did that ever go anywhere?

Like all things involving this thread it died.
Asperger's Syndrome Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

User avatar
Cadonica
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34953
Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:51 am

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Cadonica wrote:I just remembered there was some talk about metal thread/general music thread Discord at some point, did that ever go anywhere?

Like all things involving this thread it died.

Born deeeead
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

User avatar
Calimama
Minister
 
Posts: 2667
Founded: Feb 04, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Calimama » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:35 pm

Maybe not metal enough for this thread, but if Faith No More is metal then Waltari is metal. Been playing this album to death lately.
I am thou, thou art I. Thou hast acquired a new vow. It shall become the wings of rebellion that breakth thy chains of captivity.
"And now, standing on this mountain of brave corpses, I have quite the view." - Erwin Smith
“You know the difference between me and you? I bleed red and you bleed green.” - Avon Barksdale
Where was your star?
Was it far, was it far?
When did we leave?
We believed, we believed, we believed

In the heat and the rain
With whips and chains
Just to see him fly
Too many died
We build a tower of stone
With our flesh and bone
To see him fly
But we don't know why
Ooh, now where do we go


User avatar
Ameriganastan
Post Czar
 
Posts: 49308
Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:43 pm

Calimama wrote:Maybe not metal enough for this thread, but if Faith No More is metal then Waltari is metal. Been playing this album to death lately.

I mean, I think Faith No More counts as metal. They got some metal sounding songs.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

User avatar
Calimama
Minister
 
Posts: 2667
Founded: Feb 04, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Calimama » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:48 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Calimama wrote:Maybe not metal enough for this thread, but if Faith No More is metal then Waltari is metal. Been playing this album to death lately.

I mean, I think Faith No More counts as metal. They got some metal sounding songs.


I guess I mean more of the Alternative metal scene as a whole, there's a lot of naysayers that don't think it's metal enough, whatever that means.
I am thou, thou art I. Thou hast acquired a new vow. It shall become the wings of rebellion that breakth thy chains of captivity.
"And now, standing on this mountain of brave corpses, I have quite the view." - Erwin Smith
“You know the difference between me and you? I bleed red and you bleed green.” - Avon Barksdale
Where was your star?
Was it far, was it far?
When did we leave?
We believed, we believed, we believed

In the heat and the rain
With whips and chains
Just to see him fly
Too many died
We build a tower of stone
With our flesh and bone
To see him fly
But we don't know why
Ooh, now where do we go


User avatar
Lady Victory
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 388
Founded: Apr 27, 2021
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Lady Victory » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:00 pm

☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic NationalistDefensive Democrat ☆ Transbian Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."


God Bless Heavy Metal \m/
She/Her

The User Formerly Known as Trollzyn the Infinite

User avatar
Hurdergaryp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 38862
Founded: Jul 10, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hurdergaryp » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:02 pm

Calimama wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:I mean, I think Faith No More counts as metal. They got some metal sounding songs.

I guess I mean more of the Alternative metal scene as a whole, there's a lot of naysayers that don't think it's metal enough, whatever that means.

Faith No More actually has a Metal Archives page, unlike other bands such as Slipknot (unless you seek information about an obscure eighties thrash metal combo with the same name) and Zeal & Ardor. It appears the people behind the Metal Archives are a bit fucked up in the head, but that's ok. Discogs.com tends to be the better alternative when checking discographies anyway.


“Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent.”
Mao Zedong

User avatar
Calimama
Minister
 
Posts: 2667
Founded: Feb 04, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Calimama » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:35 pm

Hurdergaryp wrote:
Calimama wrote:I guess I mean more of the Alternative metal scene as a whole, there's a lot of naysayers that don't think it's metal enough, whatever that means.

Faith No More actually has a Metal Archives page, unlike other bands such as Slipknot (unless you seek information about an obscure eighties thrash metal combo with the same name) and Zeal & Ardor. It appears the people behind the Metal Archives are a bit fucked up in the head, but that's ok. Discogs.com tends to be the better alternative when checking discographies anyway.


Are you saying that because you consider Faith No More not to be metal or is it because you consider Slipknot metal?

For me it's a thin line between metal and hard rock, and sometimes I have trouble distinguishing between the two if I don't look at genre tags.
I am thou, thou art I. Thou hast acquired a new vow. It shall become the wings of rebellion that breakth thy chains of captivity.
"And now, standing on this mountain of brave corpses, I have quite the view." - Erwin Smith
“You know the difference between me and you? I bleed red and you bleed green.” - Avon Barksdale
Where was your star?
Was it far, was it far?
When did we leave?
We believed, we believed, we believed

In the heat and the rain
With whips and chains
Just to see him fly
Too many died
We build a tower of stone
With our flesh and bone
To see him fly
But we don't know why
Ooh, now where do we go


User avatar
Hurdergaryp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 38862
Founded: Jul 10, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hurdergaryp » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:05 pm

Calimama wrote:
Hurdergaryp wrote:Faith No More actually has a Metal Archives page, unlike other bands such as Slipknot (unless you seek information about an obscure eighties thrash metal combo with the same name) and Zeal & Ardor. It appears the people behind the Metal Archives are a bit fucked up in the head, but that's ok. Discogs.com tends to be the better alternative when checking discographies anyway.

Are you saying that because you consider Faith No More not to be metal or is it because you consider Slipknot metal?

For me it's a thin line between metal and hard rock, and sometimes I have trouble distinguishing between the two if I don't look at genre tags.

The second. Faith No More has a clear and present metal element in their sound, and the album Angel Dust is an absolute masterpiece as far as I am concerned. Slipknot is not considered canon by Metal Archives because they're associated with nu metal, and about twenty years ago it was a sign of being Truly Metal to be opposed to anything even remotely nu metal. Which still doesn't entirely explain why Faith No More made the cut, but it's probably because they already existed before the nu metal wave.


“Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent.”
Mao Zedong

User avatar
Calimama
Minister
 
Posts: 2667
Founded: Feb 04, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Calimama » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:07 pm

Hurdergaryp wrote:
Calimama wrote:Are you saying that because you consider Faith No More not to be metal or is it because you consider Slipknot metal?

For me it's a thin line between metal and hard rock, and sometimes I have trouble distinguishing between the two if I don't look at genre tags.

The second. Faith No More has a clear and present metal element in their sound, and the album Angel Dust is an absolute masterpiece as far as I am concerned. Slipknot is not considered canon by Metal Archives because they're associated with nu metal, and about twenty years ago it was a sign of being Truly Metal to be opposed to anything even remotely nu metal. Which still doesn't entirely explain why Faith No More made the cut, but it's probably because they already existed before the nu metal wave.


Yeah I got that distinction about nu metal as soon as I started posting on here, my music taste circa 2016 was all nu metal/hard rock and the bands in the mix that were generally considered metal were hotly contested here by certain people. Faith No More is more Funk/Alternative/Experimental metal anyways, one genre doesn't really fit all of their music.
I am thou, thou art I. Thou hast acquired a new vow. It shall become the wings of rebellion that breakth thy chains of captivity.
"And now, standing on this mountain of brave corpses, I have quite the view." - Erwin Smith
“You know the difference between me and you? I bleed red and you bleed green.” - Avon Barksdale
Where was your star?
Was it far, was it far?
When did we leave?
We believed, we believed, we believed

In the heat and the rain
With whips and chains
Just to see him fly
Too many died
We build a tower of stone
With our flesh and bone
To see him fly
But we don't know why
Ooh, now where do we go


User avatar
Hurdergaryp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 38862
Founded: Jul 10, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hurdergaryp » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:52 pm

Calimama wrote:
Hurdergaryp wrote:The second. Faith No More has a clear and present metal element in their sound, and the album Angel Dust is an absolute masterpiece as far as I am concerned. Slipknot is not considered canon by Metal Archives because they're associated with nu metal, and about twenty years ago it was a sign of being Truly Metal to be opposed to anything even remotely nu metal. Which still doesn't entirely explain why Faith No More made the cut, but it's probably because they already existed before the nu metal wave.

Yeah I got that distinction about nu metal as soon as I started posting on here, my music taste circa 2016 was all nu metal/hard rock and the bands in the mix that were generally considered metal were hotly contested here by certain people. Faith No More is more Funk/Alternative/Experimental metal anyways, one genre doesn't really fit all of their music.

For the post-Faith No More works of Mike Patton, check Mr. Bungle and Fantômas. Interesting stuff.


“Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent.”
Mao Zedong

User avatar
Impaled Nazarene
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9911
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:26 pm

Hurdergaryp wrote:
Calimama wrote:I guess I mean more of the Alternative metal scene as a whole, there's a lot of naysayers that don't think it's metal enough, whatever that means.

Faith No More actually has a Metal Archives page, unlike Zeal & Ardor.

They're just mad because Zeal and Ardor is better and more popular than all those super obscure black metal bands they spent the last decade excavating.
Asperger's Syndrome Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

User avatar
Uiiop
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5939
Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Uiiop » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:38 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Hurdergaryp wrote:Faith No More actually has a Metal Archives page, unlike Zeal & Ardor.

They're just mad because Zeal and Ardor is better and more popular than all those super obscure black metal bands they spent the last decade excavating.

I just want Zeal and Ardor do a collaboration with both An Axis of perdition and Beth Gibbons.

User avatar
Uiiop
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5939
Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Uiiop » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:39 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Hurdergaryp wrote:Faith No More actually has a Metal Archives page, unlike Zeal & Ardor.

They're just mad because Zeal and Ardor is better and more popular than all those super obscure black metal bands they spent the last decade excavating.

I just want Zeal and Ardor do a collaboration with both An Axis of perdition and Beth Gibbons.

So i don't get the mad at all.
Last edited by Uiiop on Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bralia, New haven america, Stellar Colonies

Advertisement

Remove ads