NATION

PASSWORD

Which Anime are you watching or have watched recently IV?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:31 pm

The Corparation wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
See, I fucking knew it.

The creators of Girls und Panzer don't have no cojones, meng.

Or they realize that most people who watch cute girls doing cute things show aren't looking for a gore fest and that such a thing would alienate most of the fanbase while also not selling.

Worth it.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:35 pm

The Corparation wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
See, I fucking knew it.

The creators of Girls und Panzer don't have no cojones, meng.

Or they realize that most people who watch cute girls doing cute things show aren't looking for a gore fest and that such a thing would alienate most of the fanbase while also not selling.

I wasn't going into that show for CGDCT. I was expecting tank fights. And I never got them.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:37 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Or they realize that most people who watch cute girls doing cute things show aren't looking for a gore fest and that such a thing would alienate most of the fanbase while also not selling.

I wasn't going into that show for CGDCT. I was expecting tank fights. And I never got them.

Why even fucking bother with the pretense.

It's like they tried to be edgelords but then they shaved down the edge until it was blunt.

If you're going to be an edgelord, go full edgelord. Go Death Note.

Girls und Panzer is just a gimmick.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:46 pm

I don't think they were ever trying to be edge lords. Tanks aren't edgy.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

2nd Palmeran Republic
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby 2nd Palmeran Republic » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:46 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Or they realize that most people who watch cute girls doing cute things show aren't looking for a gore fest and that such a thing would alienate most of the fanbase while also not selling.

Worth it.

Eh, CGDCT and minors with military hardware is weird like that if you think too hard about it. Unless you wanna use minors like King Hamdo or the Arume. Oh and Italy's Social Welfare Agency.
La 2a República de Las Palmeras/The 2nd Palmeran Republic
Everyone's favorite slightly-depressive neko-populated island chain; now struggling alongside the USA
Las Palmeras from an Alt-History timeline set in 1967

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:50 pm

2nd Palmeran Republic wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Worth it.

Eh, CGDCT and minors with military hardware is weird like that if you think too hard about it. Unless you wanna use minors like King Hamdo or the Arume. Oh and Italy's Social Welfare Agency.

Child soldiers are an every day occurrence, sadly, and you really don't see those narratives very often, especially not in anime, and especially not in historical ways.

The loss or absence of family, the success or failure in finding an artificial family, the false father and mother figures, killing like it's a game.

G&P is just flaccid, gratuitous violence teasing. It doesn't feel sincere or relatable at all.

What was that anime called... Gunslinger School? The "Italian Social Welfare" one.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Las Palmeras
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:02 pm

The Rich Port wrote:What was that anime called... Gunslinger School? The "Italian Social Welfare" one.

Gunslinger Girl. The anime is mediocre; season 1 copies the style and feel real good but it only covers the characters' introductions. Season 2 is more loyal to a story arc but it sacrifices the manga's more realistic style for something more generic and moé.

The manga is a favorite of mine though, it really does build up on the tragedy of the characters' circumstances and makes a bittersweet ending for at least one of them...in some posthumous way.
Last edited by Las Palmeras on Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.
UPHOLD SOUTH REINISM-LENINISM! UNLIMITED DESTRUCTION OF 1ST WORLD HETERRHOIDS!

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:06 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:

I came for the Tanks and Girls in that order. I stayed for the cute girls drifting the tanks.

The Rich Port wrote:G&P is just flaccid, gratuitous violence teasing. It doesn't feel sincere or relatable at all.

How the fuck is G&P " flaccid, gratuitous violence teasing?" If you strip it down to the core, it's literally just a simple cute girls sports anime and I think it's biggest strength is that it has never tried to be anything else. They've never really teased violence. Having tanks isn't teasing violence. You can strip the tanks out of Girls und Panzer and replace them with Baseball or any other team sport and you'd be able to have the same characters and story although It wouldn't be anywhere near as fun.
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:07 pm

I dunno I just really wanna see General Butt Naked's Little Girls.

I would fucking join the Italian Social Welfare, dress in a dumb schoolgirl uniform, and assassinate multiple implied pedophiles to ensure that gets done.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:10 pm

The Corparation wrote:
it's literally just a simple cute girls sports anime and I think it's biggest strength is that it has never tried to be anything else. They've never really teased violence. Having tanks isn't teasing violence. You can strip the tanks out of Girls und Panzer and replace them with Baseball or any other team sport and you'd be able to have the same characters and story although It wouldn't be anywhere near as fun

... Which, yeah, that is all exactly why I don't like it.

I wanna watch a sports anime, I'll watch a sports anime.

Well actually I won't watch a sports anime cuz they're fuckin' boring, but maybe I'll watch a sports anime where the little girls have to take steroids to stay relevant and then one of the little girls has CTE and murders her senpai, gets away with it because she's a cute girl, and is indicted for multiple animal abuse charges later on down the line.
Last edited by The Rich Port on Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:13 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
The Corparation wrote:it's literally just a simple cute girls sports anime and I think it's biggest strength is that it has never tried to be anything else. They've never really teased violence. Having tanks isn't teasing violence. You can strip the tanks out of Girls und Panzer and replace them with Baseball or any other team sport and you'd be able to have the same characters and story although It wouldn't be anywhere near as fun.

Well actually I won't watch a sports anime cuz they're fuckin' boring, but maybe I'll watch a sports anime where the little girls have to take steroids to stay relevant and then one of the little girls has CTE and murders her senpai, gets away with it because she's a cute girl, and is indicted for multiple animal abuse charges later on down the line.

I get that. It's fine to not want to watch a sports anime. What I don't understand is your fascination with wanting a sports anime with girls getting brained by tank shells.

Las Palmeras
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:13 pm

The Rich Port wrote:I would fucking join the Italian Social Welfare, dress in a dumb schoolgirl uniform, and assassinate multiple implied pedophiles to ensure that gets done.

I thought the premise of the series was stupid until I read about the "Anni di Piombo" for a seminar on the Cold War. In some way or another, it's Rainbow Six or Munich but with lolis.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Las Palmeras wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:I would fucking join the Italian Social Welfare, dress in a dumb schoolgirl uniform, and assassinate multiple implied pedophiles to ensure that gets done.

I thought the premise of the series was stupid until I read about the "Anni di Piombo" for a seminar on the Cold War. In some way or another, it's Rainbow Six or Munich but with lolis.

OMFG A RAINBOW SIX ANIME WOULD BE AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING.

IT WOULD BE LIKE HETALIA BUT NOT OBNOXIOUS AS FUCK. :eek: :eek: :eek:

The Corparation wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

I get that. It's fine to not want to watch a sports anime. What I don't understand is your fascination with wanting a sports anime with girls getting brained by tank shells.

Because then the sports anime wouldn't be fuckin' boring, obviously. It would have stakes. It would have conflict. INTERESTING conflict.

Explain this to me: what are the stakes in G&P?

All of the danger I saw was implied and usually waved off as the tanks being fitted with safety measures. When the tanks fall in the water, the girls don't drown. Even in a gigantic explosion that should disintegrate the tanks and the people inside them, they survive. Even when a girl sticks her head out of the tank, it doesn't get taken off by a fuckin' low bridge.

I'm not bloodthirsty for the sake of being bloodthirsty. They don't all have to die, but one of them dying would add some much needed pathos and reality checks to the anime that would make it mean something beyond it being Lucky Star with tanks because tank aficionados want to see them.

Compare G&P with Initial D, shitty as some people think it is (I personally think it's fine). Sure, a lot of people like it for the cars, but the story also has a lot of weight to it. People who watched the anime when it first came out sincerely wondered if the protagonist was going to die, because racing is an indeed dangerous and ILLEGAL sport. On top of that, the characters have their own personal issues. One of the characters commits suicide because her boyfriend considered her a trophy he won in a race from the protagonist, for example. I'm pretty sure some people died on screen but I haven't seen the whole thing. It's also way closer to life and more relatable than tanks. Nobody has a tank. Everyone has a car.

It also has better music, but that's neither here nor there.
Last edited by The Rich Port on Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:36 pm

The stakes in G&P are simple. If they lose the sports tournament, their school closes. It doesn't need higher stakes and is the sort of show which would suffer from higher stakes. Not every show needs to be or should be about matters of life and death.

Las Palmeras
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:39 pm

The Corparation wrote:The stakes in G&P are simple. If they lose the sports tournament, their school closes. It doesn't need higher stakes and is the sort of show which would suffer from higher stakes. Not every show needs to be or should be about matters of life and death.

Budget Cut Battle Royale.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:47 pm

The Corparation wrote:The stakes in G&P are simple. If they lose the sports tournament, their school closes. It doesn't need higher stakes and is the sort of show which would suffer from higher stakes. Not every show needs to be or should be about matters of life and death.

No, it definitely needs more stakes.

If I were the fucking Secretary of Education and they were fucking just genociding money on this dumb bullshit I would close this fuckin' retarded school too. Gymnastics at least lets people SEE the panty shots unless they have upskirt cameras in-universe installed in the tanks.

It's not even like this dumb tank shit is going to matter in the future unless they're training the girls for war, in which case, you enjoying a spectacle of war is even more insidious and contrary to your point.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:33 pm

The Rich Port wrote:

If I were the fucking Secretary of Education and they were fucking just genociding money on this dumb bullshit I would close this fuckin' retarded school too. Gymnastics at least lets people SEE the panty shots unless they have upskirt cameras in-universe installed in the tanks.

It's not even like this dumb tank shit is going to matter in the future unless they're training the girls for war, in which case, you enjoying a spectacle of war is even more insidious and contrary to your point.

I'm not entirely convinced this isn't an April Fool's Joke carried on far too long.

Like, fine you don't like the show, but fundamentally it seems you want the show to be something it's absolutely not. It's like complaining that Evangelion doesn't spend enough time fighting giant monsters, or that K-On! doesn't delve into the horrors of teen drug use. Girls und Panzer is exactly what it presents itself as: a CGDCT sports anime where the gimmick is the sport is tank fighting. That's all it ever presented itself as being and it gave me what I wanted.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:43 pm

Lubyak wrote: It's like complaining that Evangelion doesn't spend enough time fighting giant monsters.

Seeing as Eva is a show about kids piloting mecha to fight giant monsters I think this is a valid complaint. Yes the show is more complicated than that, but I've always felt that the fights with the angel's were the best part of Eva. And not just because of the action. I think all of my favorite character interactions and developments were in the fight scenes. That said, I think Eva did strike a good balance of fights to non-fights, I just don't think the non-fight bits were executed anywhere near as well as the fight scenes.

The Empire of Pretantia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Empire of Pretantia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:39 pm

The Rich Port wrote:

The Rich Port wrote:
Because then the sports anime wouldn't be fuckin' boring, obviously. It would have stakes. It would have conflict. INTERESTING conflict.

Explain this to me: what are the stakes in G&P?

All of the danger I saw was implied and usually waved off as the tanks being fitted with safety measures. When the tanks fall in the water, the girls don't drown. Even in a gigantic explosion that should disintegrate the tanks and the people inside them, they survive. Even when a girl sticks her head out of the tank, it doesn't get taken off by a fuckin' low bridge.

I'm not bloodthirsty for the sake of being bloodthirsty. They don't all have to die, but one of them dying would add some much needed pathos and reality checks to the anime that would make it mean something beyond it being Lucky Star with tanks because tank aficionados want to see them.

Compare G&P with Initial D, shitty as some people think it is (I personally think it's fine). Sure, a lot of people like it for the cars, but the story also has a lot of weight to it. People who watched the anime when it first came out sincerely wondered if the protagonist was going to die, because racing is an indeed dangerous and ILLEGAL sport. On top of that, the characters have their own personal issues. One of the characters commits suicide because her boyfriend considered her a trophy he won in a race from the protagonist, for example. I'm pretty sure some people died on screen but I haven't seen the whole thing. It's also way closer to life and more relatable than tanks. Nobody has a tank. Everyone has a car.

It also has better music, but that's neither here nor there.

The Rich Port wrote:Well actually I won't watch a sports anime cuz they're fuckin' boring, but maybe I'll watch a sports anime where the little girls have to take steroids to stay relevant and then one of the little girls has CTE and murders her senpai, gets away with it because she's a cute girl, and is indicted for multiple animal abuse charges later on down the line.

The Rich Port wrote:
Child soldiers are an every day occurrence, sadly, and you really don't see those narratives very often, especially not in anime, and especially not in historical ways.

The loss or absence of family, the success or failure in finding an artificial family, the false father and mother figures, killing like it's a game.

G&P is just flaccid, gratuitous violence teasing. It doesn't feel sincere or relatable at all.

What was that anime called... Gunslinger School? The "Italian Social Welfare" one.

The Rich Port wrote:Why even fucking bother with the pretense.

It's like they tried to be edgelords but then they shaved down the edge until it was blunt.

If you're going to be an edgelord, go full edgelord. Go Death Note.

Girls und Panzer is just a gimmick.

lol, I've never seen somebody so upset over an anime not being edgy garbage.

I'm sorry, but the problem isn't that it told a story you didn't want to hear. The problem is you think it should've told the story you wanted to hear.
Ameriganastan wrote:I wasn't going into that show for CGDCT. I was expecting tank fights. And I never got them.

>There's a tank fight like every other episode
>The movie ramps up the tank fights to ludicrous degrees
>"Where are the tank fights?"
What did they mean by this?
Last edited by The Empire of Pretantia on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ywn be as good as this video
Gacha
Trashing other people's waifus
Anti-NN
EA
Douche flutes
Zimbabwe
Putting the toilet paper roll the wrong way
Every single square inch of Asia
Lewding Earth-chan
Pollution
4Chan in all its glory and all its horror
Playing the little Switch controller handheld thing in public
Treading on me
Socialism, Communism, Anarchism, and all their cousins and sisters and brothers and wife's sons
Alternate Universe 40K
Nightcore
Comcast
Zimbabwe
Believing the Ottomans were the third Roman Empire
Parodies of the Gadsden flag
The Fate Series
US politics

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:35 pm

The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:I wasn't going into that show for CGDCT. I was expecting tank fights. And I never got them.

They probably wanted "realistic" tank fights.

The Empire of Pretantia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Empire of Pretantia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 pm

The Corparation wrote:

They probably wanted "realistic" tank fights.

I've got just the anime for that if that's what they want.
Gacha
Anti-NN
EA
Douche flutes
Zimbabwe
Lewding Earth-chan
Pollution
Treading on me
Socialism, Communism, Anarchism, and all their cousins and sisters and brothers and wife's sons
Alternate Universe 40K
Nightcore
Comcast
Zimbabwe
The Fate Series
US politics

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:59 am

The Empire of Pretantia wrote:>There's a tank fight like every other episode

He. I am not a they.

And I saw no tank fights in the one episode I suffered through. It was false advertising.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

States In Perpetual Federation
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby States In Perpetual Federation » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:03 am

Watamote.
Now i need to read the manga because I need to see her succeed or permanent depression may be true.

The Empire of Pretantia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Empire of Pretantia » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:26 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

He. I am not a they.

Don't bother, I'll probably forget by the end of the week.

And I saw no tank fights in the one episode I suffered through. It was false advertising.

Seriously? You're saying there are no tank fights based on a single episode?

1-800-come-on-now

There's not liking a series based on its premise, themes, and execution; then there's this.
Gacha
Anti-NN
EA
Douche flutes
Zimbabwe
Lewding Earth-chan
Pollution
Treading on me
Alternate Universe 40K
Nightcore
Comcast
Zimbabwe
The Fate Series
US politics

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:33 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

He. I am not a they.

The show literally starts with a short scene from a tank battle and while it doesn't get back to that scene till a few episodes later, the show needed the time to introduce the characters and set up the story.

The Corparation wrote:They probably wanted "realistic" tank fights.

I've got just the anime for that if that's what they want.

Not an anime, but here's Tigers in the Mud a manga by Miyazake about the exploits of German tank commander Otto Carius on the Eastern Front

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction