NATION

PASSWORD

The Background Music Request Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
User avatar
Kostemetsia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1347
Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

The Background Music Request Thread

Postby Kostemetsia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:46 am

Here's the skinny:

NationStates has a lot of extremely high-quality in-character writing. NationStates also has a sizeable community of musicians, many of whom are composers. I'm a musician and I'm really keen to see the two work together.

What I'm thinking is something like this:

- If you've written background music for something in NationStates before, post it up and I'll edit it into the OP.

- If you want background music written for your post, reply with a link to the post that you want scored, and an up-to-25-word summary of that post. Posts must be in NationStates, International Incidents, or Portal to the Multiverse.

- If you want background music written for a character, faction or concept, rather than an individual post, reply with an up-to-25-word description of who exactly you want scored, and an optional link to an article (for example, a factbook entry or bio) of the person in question.

- Anyone can post a prompt, anyone can do any prompt. If you've filled a prompt, just post a link to your music in this thread and I'll ad the link to the OP.

- Music mustn't be an existing song by another artist, or a remix thereof. Mashups might be OK, depending. Pieces containing contextually appropriate bits of other pieces in the public domain are fine (for example if you're a USA knockoff and you want "The Star-Spangled Banner").

- Yes, this thread is 100% serious.

I don't know if this will work, but I think it's worth a go.

Index of submitted music by publication date
2010-Oct-18 - Kostemetsia - Native Story Index - "Whiskey Seventeen": "Dangerous Cargo"
2010-Dec-27 - Kostemetsia - Location Theme: Yelan City | "Chameleon?"
2010-Dec-28 - Kostemetsia - Faction Theme: Commonwealth Army Operators
2011-Jul-14 - Kostemetsia - Gunbarrel Diplomacy: Reloaded: "The Lady Vanishes"

Queue

Plain items have not yet been started.
Bold items are in the initial sketch phase.
Yellow items have a complete sketch and are undergoing orchestration.
Green items have been orchestrated and are awaiting rendering.

#1. Kostemetsia for New Aeyariss - "Flight of the Blazing Sun"
#2. Kostemetsia for Organized States - "No One Comes Close"
#3. Kostemetsia for New Aeyariss - Character Theme: Maki Kojiro | "Sword of the Shogun"
#4. Kostemetsia for Organized States - "Peace Is Our Profession"
#5. Kostemetsia for Palmyrion - "A Thunder of Boots"
Last edited by Kostemetsia on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
The Commonwealth (FT)
factbook | embassies and trade | CAFRI: 69 (Excellent)
background music requests

User avatar
Organized States
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8101
Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:38 am

Peace is Our Profession

Preferably a rapid, upbeat pace throughout the entire track, with ominous undertones. Imagine a flight of nuclear bombers taking off. Hell, even jet engine-like sounds in it if you can come up with something like that.

No One Comes Close

Perhaps some rockabilly instrumental music if you can do swing it? Imagine something being played at a small-town America diner in 1954 after the local High School has gotten out of school.
Last edited by Organized States on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Internationalist Democrat raised in the Era of Obama, and Aviator

User avatar
New Aeyariss
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6788
Founded: May 12, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby New Aeyariss » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:46 am

I am interested in two themes:

- Flight of the Blazing sun: about an unit of A10T attacking an enemy carrier. At first slow moving (pilot's preparations for the flight) then, it starts getting louder and faster (may include sound of jet engine the moment it happens, to represent Tenrais starting from the carrier). Japanese sounding.

- Sword of the Shogun: About Maki Kojiro - rather slow moving, Japanese sounding, but still epic in concept, reflecting Shogun's calmness but also his zeal in battle for Nihon's future. May include more "mysterious sounding" undertones as Kojiro is former intelligence officer.
Rping in MT (2018) and PT/FanT (1564)


Inyourfaceistan wrote:You didn't know that Cusc is actually a 4-armed cyborg genius commander and skillful warrior created in secret by a cabal of rich capitalist financiers built to lead and army of drones and other renegades against and overbearing socialist regime?
Psalms 144:1 wrote:Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Also known as El Cuscatlan, the original "Carrier Breaker", "Anti-Che", and "General Grievous of SACTO".


User avatar
Kalosia
Minister
 
Posts: 2548
Founded: Jan 09, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Kalosia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:52 am

Are requests only eligible for posts on NationStates? What about for non-NS purposes?
Mediterranea > Mediterra > Kalosia
/kə'loʊʒɑː/ (english) /kɑː'lɒsiːɑː/ (kalosian)
Factbook | Official Website
#21: 8th
#22: 2nd
#23: 12th
#24: 19th
#25: 9th
#26: 18th
#27: 2nd
#28: 13th
#29: 9th
#30: 3rd
#31: 10th
#32: 16th
#33: DSQ
#34: 5th
#35: 7th
#36: 16th - DSQ
#38: 4th
#39: 6th
#40: 3rd
#41: 13th
#42: 1st
#43: 3rd
#44: 6th
#45: 17th - DSQ
#47: 3rd
#48: 5th
#49: 9th
#7: 2nd
#8: 17th
#9: 2nd
#10: 7th
#11: 7th
#12: 5th
#13: 6th
#14: 4th
#15: 6th
#16: 9th (last)
#18: 2nd
#19: 5th
#20: 13th
#21: 7th
#22: 5th
#23: 4th

User avatar
Kostemetsia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1347
Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kostemetsia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:56 am

Organized States wrote:Tagging this.

I'm kind of interested in seeing of you could make a theme for a ship, if you get the chance.

I could. That would fall under the "character / faction" theme listed above. I would need to know something about the ship to know what kind of idea you would like me to get across.
New Aeyariss wrote:I am interested in two themes:

- Flight of the Blazing sun: about an unit of A10T attacking an enemy carrier. At first slow moving (pilot's preparations for the flight) then, it starts getting louder and faster (may include sound of jet engine the moment it happens, to represent Tenrais starting from the carrier). Japanese sounding.

- Sword of the Shogun: About Maki Kojiro - rather slow moving, Japanese sounding, but still epic in concept, reflecting Shogun's calmness but also his zeal in battle for Nihon's future. May include more "mysterious sounding" undertones as Kojiro is former intelligence officer.

Definitely workable. Could you give me a musical reference for what you mean by Japanese-sounding - for example, a piece that sounds Japanese in the way that you mean?
Kalosia wrote:Are requests only eligible for posts on NationStates? What about for non-NS purposes?

I personally am not really keen to work on non-NS music through this thread.
The Commonwealth (FT)
factbook | embassies and trade | CAFRI: 69 (Excellent)
background music requests

User avatar
New Aeyariss
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6788
Founded: May 12, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby New Aeyariss » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:06 am

Definitely workable. Could you give me a musical reference for what you mean by Japanese-sounding - for example, a piece that sounds Japanese in the way that you mean?


#1

#2

#3

#4 - this style especially for Flight of the Blazing Sun.

#5
Last edited by New Aeyariss on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rping in MT (2018) and PT/FanT (1564)


Inyourfaceistan wrote:You didn't know that Cusc is actually a 4-armed cyborg genius commander and skillful warrior created in secret by a cabal of rich capitalist financiers built to lead and army of drones and other renegades against and overbearing socialist regime?
Psalms 144:1 wrote:Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Also known as El Cuscatlan, the original "Carrier Breaker", "Anti-Che", and "General Grievous of SACTO".


User avatar
Kostemetsia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1347
Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kostemetsia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:53 am

New Aeyariss wrote:
Definitely workable. Could you give me a musical reference for what you mean by Japanese-sounding - for example, a piece that sounds Japanese in the way that you mean?


#1

#2

#3

#4 - this style especially for Flight of the Blazing Sun.

#5

Superb, thanks. Very much appreciated.
Organized States wrote:Peace is Our Profession

Preferably a rapid, upbeat pace throughout the entire track, with ominous undertones. Imagine a flight of nuclear bombers taking off. Hell, even jet engine-like sounds in it if you can come up with something like that.

No One Comes Close

Perhaps some rockabilly instrumental music if you can do swing it? Imagine something being played at a small-town America diner in 1954 after the local High School has gotten out of school.

Quoting to let you know I've seen this.
The Commonwealth (FT)
factbook | embassies and trade | CAFRI: 69 (Excellent)
background music requests

User avatar
Xiscapia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12726
Founded: Mar 13, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xiscapia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:22 pm

You forgot one, m8.

Glorified tag for interest. Awesome concept, I will definitely use in the future if you don't get overloaded with requests.
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
The Kitsune Empire of Xiscapia's FT Factbook (V2.5)
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

User avatar
Kostemetsia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1347
Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kostemetsia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:03 pm

New Aeyariss wrote:- Flight of the Blazing sun: about an unit of A10T attacking an enemy carrier. At first slow moving (pilot's preparations for the flight) then, it starts getting louder and faster (may include sound of jet engine the moment it happens, to represent Tenrais starting from the carrier). Japanese sounding.

Inserted into work queue.
The Commonwealth (FT)
factbook | embassies and trade | CAFRI: 69 (Excellent)
background music requests

User avatar
Kostemetsia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1347
Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kostemetsia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:04 pm

Xiscapia wrote:You forgot one, m8.

Glorified tag for interest. Awesome concept, I will definitely use in the future if you don't get overloaded with requests.

:D Thanks. Looking forward to it.
The Commonwealth (FT)
factbook | embassies and trade | CAFRI: 69 (Excellent)
background music requests

User avatar
Palmyrion
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1802
Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Palmyrion » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:39 pm

1

2

I'd like this:

A Thunder of Boots
Last edited by Palmyrion on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE ROYAL PALMYRIAN COMMONWEALTH | "United In Progress"
History | Government and Politics | Military (Army | Navy | Aerospace Forces) | Economy | Culture

DEFCON 3 | CBRN ALERT RELEASED | STATE OF EMERGENCY DECLARED

[Commonwealth News Service] | Several Arrested for Planned Church Bombing; 2 Killed in Shootout | Arsonists Torch Portion of Experimental Crop Field, Eliminated by Security
Tech Level: MT/Light FanT (2019)

User avatar
Kostemetsia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1347
Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kostemetsia » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:03 am

Palmyrion wrote:1

2

I'd like this:

A Thunder of Boots

Thank you for providing musical examples! I will need a longer summary before I can queue this, though.
The Commonwealth (FT)
factbook | embassies and trade | CAFRI: 69 (Excellent)
background music requests

User avatar
Palmyrion
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1802
Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Palmyrion » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:07 am

Kostemetsia wrote:
Palmyrion wrote:1

2

I'd like this:

A Thunder of Boots

Thank you for providing musical examples! I will need a longer summary before I can queue this, though.

It's me talking "military", talking of sending an expeditionary force overseas.
THE ROYAL PALMYRIAN COMMONWEALTH | "United In Progress"
History | Government and Politics | Military (Army | Navy | Aerospace Forces) | Economy | Culture

DEFCON 3 | CBRN ALERT RELEASED | STATE OF EMERGENCY DECLARED

[Commonwealth News Service] | Several Arrested for Planned Church Bombing; 2 Killed in Shootout | Arsonists Torch Portion of Experimental Crop Field, Eliminated by Security
Tech Level: MT/Light FanT (2019)

User avatar
Ayreonia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6157
Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:37 am

Awesome idea.
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Photoshopped birds flipping the bird not acceptable.

User avatar
Palmyrion
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1802
Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Palmyrion » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:18 am

Waterflame: Monsterbreaks

Waterflame: Rocket Race

Waterflame: The Chase

Symphony of Specters: Epic Trailer

=Oscar Mike. Gonna use them for military operations.



Alien Shooter Soundtrack #8

Alien Shooter Soundtrack #11

Alien Shooter Soundtrack #5
=For God, Country, Nature, Others, and Self. Used in "suicidal", "heroic", "moments of valor", "epic" moments where a lot of adrenaline is required.
THE ROYAL PALMYRIAN COMMONWEALTH | "United In Progress"
History | Government and Politics | Military (Army | Navy | Aerospace Forces) | Economy | Culture

DEFCON 3 | CBRN ALERT RELEASED | STATE OF EMERGENCY DECLARED

[Commonwealth News Service] | Several Arrested for Planned Church Bombing; 2 Killed in Shootout | Arsonists Torch Portion of Experimental Crop Field, Eliminated by Security
Tech Level: MT/Light FanT (2019)

User avatar
TotallyNotEvilLand
Senator
 
Posts: 3570
Founded: May 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TotallyNotEvilLand » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:42 pm

After recovering from my 'holy crap this exists' moment...

One of TNEL's most infamous figures could use a kick-ass theme tune.

Roar of Iracusia - About Crysal Iracuse, legendary founder of one of the earliest TNELian empires and still lives on in a very obvious form to this day. Pretty much the embodiment of the very nation she created, aggressive, powerful, and a textbook example of unstoppable rage. Perhaps starts out slow before abruptly exploding into a menacing cacophony, maybe Celtic/Norse-sounding.
Last edited by TotallyNotEvilLand on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Liquid Wallaby Characters, Updated 4/27 (Rough sketches for Creezul and Kehelli are completed)
If you use the term SJW or 'politically correct' to describe anyone left of center, I'm pretty sure that destroys all of your credibility as an intelligent human being. Quit being a twit and use something other than a buzzword to make your point.
A Moderately-Talented But Very Unreliable Roleplayer
Current flag is Frisk's Unamused Face

User avatar
Kostemetsia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1347
Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kostemetsia » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:36 am

Ayreonia wrote:Awesome idea.

Thank you!
Palmyrion wrote:Waterflame: Monsterbreaks

Waterflame: Rocket Race

Waterflame: The Chase

Symphony of Specters: Epic Trailer

=Oscar Mike. Gonna use them for military operations.



Alien Shooter Soundtrack #8

Alien Shooter Soundtrack #11

Alien Shooter Soundtrack #5
=For God, Country, Nature, Others, and Self. Used in "suicidal", "heroic", "moments of valor", "epic" moments where a lot of adrenaline is required.

Super. I'm gonna assume these are further musical examples, rather than submissions to the thread.
TotallyNotEvilLand wrote:After recovering from my 'holy crap this exists' moment...

One of TNEL's most infamous figures could use a kick-ass theme tune.

Roar of Iracusia - About Crysal Iracuse, legendary founder of one of the earliest TNELian empires and still lives on in a very obvious form to this day. Pretty much the embodiment of the very nation she created, aggressive, powerful, and a textbook example of unstoppable rage. Perhaps starts out slow before abruptly exploding into a menacing cacophony, maybe Celtic/Norse-sounding.

Queued!

Everyone who requests a huge, kick-ass theme needs to be aware that unless you nominate a specific orchestration, or give me musical examples that suggest otherwise, I will assume you want it orchestrated for full symphony, and this will take a while.

I am reorganising the queue for a similar reason.
The Commonwealth (FT)
factbook | embassies and trade | CAFRI: 69 (Excellent)
background music requests

User avatar
Palmyrion
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1802
Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Palmyrion » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Kostemetsia wrote:
Palmyrion wrote:Waterflame: Monsterbreaks

Waterflame: Rocket Race

Waterflame: The Chase

Symphony of Specters: Epic Trailer

=Oscar Mike. Gonna use them for military operations.



Alien Shooter Soundtrack #8

Alien Shooter Soundtrack #11

Alien Shooter Soundtrack #5
=For God, Country, Nature, Others, and Self. Used in "suicidal", "heroic", "moments of valor", "epic" moments where a lot of adrenaline is required.

Super. I'm gonna assume these are further musical examples, rather than submissions to the thread.

Actually those are submissiones.
THE ROYAL PALMYRIAN COMMONWEALTH | "United In Progress"
History | Government and Politics | Military (Army | Navy | Aerospace Forces) | Economy | Culture

DEFCON 3 | CBRN ALERT RELEASED | STATE OF EMERGENCY DECLARED

[Commonwealth News Service] | Several Arrested for Planned Church Bombing; 2 Killed in Shootout | Arsonists Torch Portion of Experimental Crop Field, Eliminated by Security
Tech Level: MT/Light FanT (2019)

User avatar
Kostemetsia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1347
Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kostemetsia » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:41 pm

"Flight of the Blazing Sun" (New Aeyariss) has finished sketch and is going into orchestration (standard classical orchestra plus keyboards and kit). New Aeyariss, I can send you a copy of the sketch, if you like, but it will be non-indicative of the final sound. Sheet music teaser.

Palmyrion wrote:
Kostemetsia wrote:
Super. I'm gonna assume these are further musical examples, rather than submissions to the thread.

Actually those are submissiones.

In that case, I need to refer you to the OP: Music mustn't be an existing song by another artist.
The Commonwealth (FT)
factbook | embassies and trade | CAFRI: 69 (Excellent)
background music requests

User avatar
Palmyrion
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1802
Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Palmyrion » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:45 pm

Kostemetsia wrote:"Flight of the Blazing Sun" (New Aeyariss) has finished sketch and is going into orchestration (standard classical orchestra plus keyboards and kit). New Aeyariss, I can send you a copy of the sketch, if you like, but it will be non-indicative of the final sound. Sheet music teaser.

Palmyrion wrote:Actually those are submissiones.

In that case, I need to refer you to the OP: Music mustn't be an existing song by another artist.

Sorry. Words got...mixed up. Those are my examples for my additional requested musical pieces. That's what I mean.

Meanwhile, you may want to add random radio transmissions to Oscar Mike, preferably at the beginning of the song.
Last edited by Palmyrion on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE ROYAL PALMYRIAN COMMONWEALTH | "United In Progress"
History | Government and Politics | Military (Army | Navy | Aerospace Forces) | Economy | Culture

DEFCON 3 | CBRN ALERT RELEASED | STATE OF EMERGENCY DECLARED

[Commonwealth News Service] | Several Arrested for Planned Church Bombing; 2 Killed in Shootout | Arsonists Torch Portion of Experimental Crop Field, Eliminated by Security
Tech Level: MT/Light FanT (2019)

User avatar
New Aeyariss
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6788
Founded: May 12, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby New Aeyariss » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:27 pm

What is the status on this one?
Rping in MT (2018) and PT/FanT (1564)


Inyourfaceistan wrote:You didn't know that Cusc is actually a 4-armed cyborg genius commander and skillful warrior created in secret by a cabal of rich capitalist financiers built to lead and army of drones and other renegades against and overbearing socialist regime?
Psalms 144:1 wrote:Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Also known as El Cuscatlan, the original "Carrier Breaker", "Anti-Che", and "General Grievous of SACTO".



Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads