NATION

PASSWORD

The Doctor Who Discussion Thread and Fan Club

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:40 pm

DesAnges wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:Well, the writing staff changes all the time.

Truthfully, though, a lot more of Tennant's episodes were absolute shit than Smith's.

I guess. The end of Series 3 *shudders*

But then he also had some absolutely exemplary episodes to work with, which I don't think Smith has gotten. He's had some decent to alright ones, a lot of mediocre ones and more than a few absolute rubbish ones.

The tone of the writing style has gotten darker but the age of the writing has gotten younger, for me.

I think, overall, Moffat-era episodes have been good with a few great and a few mediocre ones.

I prefer that to the wild fluctuating between blow-your-mind fantastic and horrendous (mainly horrendous) that was rampant in the Davies-era, many of those really bad ones supplied by Davies himself.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
DesAnges wrote:I guess. The end of Series 3 *shudders*

But then he also had some absolutely exemplary episodes to work with, which I don't think Smith has gotten. He's had some decent to alright ones, a lot of mediocre ones and more than a few absolute rubbish ones.

The tone of the writing style has gotten darker but the age of the writing has gotten younger, for me.

I think, overall, Moffat-era episodes have been good with a few great and a few mediocre ones.

I prefer that to the wild fluctuating between blow-your-mind fantastic and horrendous (mainly horrendous) that was rampant in the Davies-era, many of those really bad ones supplied by Davies himself.

I try and forget the shite RTD ones.

Who wrote Father's Day? More like that, please. And let Moffat write something truly scary again, Empty Child-style.

Some Impossible Planet stuff wouldn't go amiss either.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:45 pm

DesAnges wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I think, overall, Moffat-era episodes have been good with a few great and a few mediocre ones.

I try and forget the shite RTD ones.

Who wrote Father's Day? More like that, please. And let Moffat write something truly scary again, Empty Child-style.

I wasn't really impressed with either Father's Day or Impossible Planet, actually.

Goodbye.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:47 pm

DesAnges wrote:I try and forget the shite RTD ones.

I wasn't really impressed with either Father's Day or Impossible Planet, actually.

Fair enough. Opinions, gotta love 'em 8)

But I really just want some more Eccleston. Some Claude-from-Heroes Eccleston...
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:48 pm

Ende wrote:
DesAnges wrote:I guess. The end of Series 3 *shudders*

The End of Series 3 In A Nutshell:

"Oh, hey, wow, this is awesome, wow, this is cool, wait, time-lord killing gun, that's weird, enh, I'll go with it, oh, hey, this is cool WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS ARE YOU SERIOUS"

I thought that the series 3 finale was awesome, and then they threw in telepathic Doctor God and it completely fucking ruined it. I mean, three episodes of build-up for a crappy deus ex machina.

Fuck you, RTD. Fuck you.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:49 pm

DesAnges wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I wasn't really impressed with either Father's Day or Impossible Planet, actually.

Fair enough. Opinions, gotta love 'em 8)

But I really just want some more Eccleston. Some Claude-from-Heroes Eccleston...

Never saw Heroes, but more Eccleston is always good.

I just felt that Impossible Planet was incredibly formulaic. They really dropped the ball with the Devil, too - showing him was a massive mistake.

Father's Day was sweet, I guess, but incredibly predictable and had a completely tensionless plot. I also felt that the bit where the TARDIS was just a phone booth was incredibly over-dramatic. It was written by Paul Cornell, by the way, who also wrote Human Nature/Family of Blood, another episode I wasn't quite pleased with.

Goodbye.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Ende wrote:The End of Series 3 In A Nutshell:

"Oh, hey, wow, this is awesome, wow, this is cool, wait, time-lord killing gun, that's weird, enh, I'll go with it, oh, hey, this is cool WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS ARE YOU SERIOUS"

I thought that the series 3 finale was awesome, and then they threw in telepathic Doctor God and it completely fucking ruined it. I mean, three episodes of build-up for a crappy deus ex machina.

Fuck you, RTD. Fuck you.

Exactly what I meant.
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:54 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:

Fuck you, RTD. Fuck you.

To be fair, he wrote himself into a corner.

Also to be fair, only an idiot does that.

Goodbye.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:55 pm

DesAnges wrote:Fair enough. Opinions, gotta love 'em 8)

Never saw Heroes, but more Eccleston is always good.

I just felt that Impossible Planet was incredibly formulaic. They really dropped the ball with the Devil, too - showing him was a massive mistake.

Father's Day was sweet, I guess, but incredibly predictable and had a completely tensionless plot. I also felt that the bit where the TARDIS was just a phone booth was incredibly over-dramatic. It was written by Paul Cornell, by the way, who also wrote Human Nature/Family of Blood, another episode I wasn't quite pleased with.

Watch the first series, accept shit happens in between, watch the 4th series. Done.

That series needed a bit of actual sweetness (as opposed to saccharine), given it was going up against the cheesiness of Harkness and the brooding darkness of the Doctor. Besides, only truly noble action by any character other than the Doctor in the whole series (from memory, feel free to correct me).

Family of Blood was better than Human Nature, Human Nature had too much of that irritating twat sniffing.

Impossible Planet, good. The second part of that story, bad. *nods*
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:I thought that the series 3 finale was awesome, and then they threw in telepathic Doctor God and it completely fucking ruined it. I mean, three episodes of build-up for a crappy deus ex machina.

Fuck you, RTD. Fuck you.

To be fair, he wrote himself into a corner.

To be honest, I would have preferred if there actually had been the gun in four parts. It would still be bullshit, but it would at least be halfway decent and somewhat plausible bullshit. Better yet, there should have been some kind of rebellion.
~~~~~~~~

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:59 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:To be fair, he wrote himself into a corner.

To be honest, I would have preferred if there actually had been the gun in four parts. It would still be bullshit, but it would at least be halfway decent and somewhat plausible bullshit. Better yet, there should have been some kind of rebellion.

Or the gun was still a trap, but they used to lure the Master into the Paradox Machine or something, holding him hostage by threatening to overload it. A good half-hour could be spent on the Master trying to psyche Martha out, all while the Doctor reverses the incredibly stupid aging thing the Master did to him.

That would have been awesome.

Goodbye.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:To be fair, he wrote himself into a corner.

A rebellion, led by the Torchwood team. That would have been plausible, and a better chance for a crossover.[/color]
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:02 pm

DesAnges wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:To be honest, I would have preferred if there actually had been the gun in four parts. It would still be bullshit, but it would at least be halfway decent and somewhat plausible bullshit. Better yet, there should have been some kind of rebellion.

A rebellion, led by the Torchwood team. That would have been plausible, and a better chance for a crossover.[/color]

Oh, yes. T'would have been epic.

And you know, there's something I've been wondering about the whole "Turn Left" thing. The Doctor was killed when he should have met Donna, and Martha died at the hospital on the moon, which means neither the Doctor nor Martha could go back in time and stop the Carrionites from destroying humankind during the Elizabethan era, which would have caused a paradox in that the Doctor would have had no need to stop the Racnoss and get killed while doing so.
~~~~~~~~

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:04 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
DesAnges wrote:A rebellion, led by the Torchwood team. That would have been plausible, and a better chance for a crossover.[/color]

And you know, there's something I've been wondering about the whole "Turn Left" thing. The Doctor was killed when he should have met Donna, and Martha died at the hospital on the moon, which means neither the Doctor nor Martha could go back in time and stop the Carrionites from destroying humankind during the Elizabethan era, which would have caused a paradox in that the Doctor would have had no need to stop the Racnoss and get killed while doing so.

'Turn Left' was just a bad idea all round really.
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
DesAnges wrote:A rebellion, led by the Torchwood team. That would have been plausible, and a better chance for a crossover.[/color]

Shakespeare saved the day all by himself, because fuck you.

Goodbye.

Fedeledland
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedeledland » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:

Fuck you, RTD. Fuck you.

To be fair, RTD tends to have all of the episode be consistently awesome and then ruin the last 15 minutes in most bad episodes. It's not bad as some of the entirely inconsistent stories (most of which are RTD, mind you... I'm also seeing you, Next Doctor), since at least you're entertained over most of the episode.

DesAnges wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Oh, yes. T'would have been epic.

'Turn Left' was just a bad idea all round really.

Turn Left was incredibly shortsighted, but it was a good episode.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:To be honest, I would have preferred if there actually had been the gun in four parts. It would still be bullshit, but it would at least be halfway decent and somewhat plausible bullshit. Better yet, there should have been some kind of rebellion.

This. The rebellion would also have had an effect on the Doctor if it's led by Martha, since it could've had Martha directly into Torchwood, which would be far more awesome than working with shUNIT.
Factbook (FanT·FT)
Embassies
Political Info (OOC)
WARNING: My writing might contain amounts of extreme pomp and purple prose. Read at your own caution.
QUE VIVA EL REY!

Nagnarok
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nagnarok » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:54 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:Official Doctor Who crossover with Star Trek:

http://www.startrek.com/article/idws-tn ... due-in-may

MUATHFUACKING AWESOME!

Picard and the Doctor. Two of my favorite characters.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Nagnarok wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Official Doctor Who crossover with Star Trek:

http://www.startrek.com/article/idws-tn ... due-in-may

MUATHFUACKING AWESOME!

You'd think that the Borg and the Cybermen would fight a war over who gets the honor of assimilating the unlucky mother-hubbard. Or maybe the Cybermen will take the humans and the Borg will get everything else.
~~~~~~~~

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Nagnarok wrote:
MUATHFUACKING AWESOME!

You'd think that the Borg and the Cybermen would fight a war over who gets the honor of assimilating the unlucky mother-hubbard. Or maybe the Cybermen will take the humans and the Borg will get everything else.

Cybermen would assimilate the Borg. Why? Because you can't kill a cyberman with a fucking sword.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:30 pm

AETEN II wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:You'd think that the Borg and the Cybermen would fight a war over who gets the honor of assimilating the unlucky mother-hubbard. Or maybe the Cybermen will take the humans and the Borg will get everything else.

Cybermen would assimilate the Borg. Why? Because you can't kill a cyberman with a fucking sword.

Borg Nanoprobes. They Assimilate much faster then Cybermen can.And while they can be stopped by a sword, a diffrent dron can easily reach out grab your sword arm and assimilate you on the spot as you swing at its fellow.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:37 pm

The Corparation wrote:
AETEN II wrote:Cybermen would assimilate the Borg. Why? Because you can't kill a cyberman with a fucking sword.

Borg Nanoprobes. They Assimilate much faster then Cybermen can.And while they can be stopped by a sword, a diffrent dron can easily reach out grab your sword arm and assimilate you on the spot as you swing at its fellow.

This is why I would bring a pole-ax.

I've always found it hilarious that you could beat the Borg by teleporting Knights onto the Borg ships. Just use bows and arrows.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Just finished Mercy. Kind of meh episode. I like how it's moving away from the black-and-white morality of the earlier episodes—Daleks/Cybermen/Sontarans/other generic alien invaders are bad, humans are good—and I think that #11 is beginning to feel guilty about the Time War. I mean, I know he's already felt guilty about it as #9 and 10, but this is the first we're really starting to see it in this regeneration.
~~~~~~~~

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:56 pm

AETEN II wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Borg Nanoprobes. They Assimilate much faster then Cybermen can.And while they can be stopped by a sword, a diffrent dron can easily reach out grab your sword arm and assimilate you on the spot as you swing at its fellow.

This is why I would bring a pole-ax.

I've always found it hilarious that you could beat the Borg by teleporting Knights onto the Borg ships. Just use bows and arrows.

Then they just fall back and destroy your ship. And teleporting a knight onto a Borg vessel would go badly. They'd juts swarm it until one of them could grab it and inject the nanoprobes.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:25 am

Watching City Of Death from the Tom Baker years.

This is superb.
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:03 pm

DesAnges wrote:Watching City Of Death from the Tom Baker years.

This is superb.

Wonderful episode, once I became accustomed to Baker.

It took some adjustment to get used to his... Bakerness.

Goodbye.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction