NATION

PASSWORD

The Doctor Who Discussion Thread and Fan Club

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:00 pm

It's quite unfortunate that people don't know who Lady Christina de Souza is.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Britannic Realms
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannic Realms » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:05 am

Fedeledland wrote:
Britannic Realms wrote:I'm losing faith in Doctor Who. The plots are getting worse and worse and more and more anti-climatic. I blame Steven Moffat.

You blame Moffat for bad writing and anti-climatic endings? Could you please re-watch the last 15 minutes of Last of the Time Lords and tell that to me again?

The quality of episodes has gone more and more downhill since Russel T Davies left. Instead of being original plots with decent aliens they've just taken films and turned them into crappy remakes.
And the cube one was bloody awful. Small black cubes which give people heart attacks? Really? And then he went aboard the ship had a talk with a hologram and instantly solved everything. How is that climatic?

I suppose it doesn't help that the actors they've got these days are pretty bad.
I used to watch Doctor Who every Saturday. All of the Ninth and Tenth Doctor's stories.
British, Bisexual, Protestant

Pro: civil rights for all, Scottish unionism, electoral reform, mixed economics, NATO, Commonwealth, foreign aid, nuclear weapons
Neutral: Irish unionism, European Union
Anti: fascism, communism, neoliberalism, populism
Disclaimer: Many of my past forum posts (particularly the oldest ones) are not representative of my current views, I'm way more progressive than I was back then lol.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am

Ende wrote:I'm watching Dinosaurs on a Spaceship now.

That was some pretty impressive exposition they had there.

Rory's dad is awesome, and almost redeems the shitty plots we've been getting.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Dimoniquid
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 10, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dimoniquid » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:36 am

http://www.themarysue.com/doctor-who-peter-jackson/

I just found this while wandering around the tubez. I don't really think you can measure up to fifty years of epicness just by grabbing a flash-director (Peter Jackson, FTW) and making a series. What do you guys think?

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Dimoniquid wrote:http://www.themarysue.com/doctor-who-peter-jackson/

I just found this while wandering around the tubez. I don't really think you can measure up to fifty years of epicness just by grabbing a flash-director (Peter Jackson, FTW) and making a series. What do you guys think?

I want a movie, not an episode. Then again, if Peter Jackson did a Doctor Who movie, the world would likely be destroyed by its epicness.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:44 pm

If Jackson can write a decent plot, it would be good.

Problem is that I doubt he and Moffat can co-operate, given what has already come of this "relationship".
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Fedeledland
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedeledland » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Britannic Realms wrote:
Fedeledland wrote:
You blame Moffat for bad writing and anti-climatic endings? Could you please re-watch the last 15 minutes of Last of the Time Lords and tell that to me again?

The quality of episodes has gone more and more downhill since Russel T Davies left. Instead of being original plots with decent aliens they've just taken films and turned them into crappy remakes.
And the cube one was bloody awful. Small black cubes which give people heart attacks? Really? And then he went aboard the ship had a talk with a hologram and instantly solved everything. How is that climatic?

I suppose it doesn't help that the actors they've got these days are pretty bad.
I used to watch Doctor Who every Saturday. All of the Ninth and Tenth Doctor's stories.

Once again, can you kindly rewatch the "Jesus Doctor" scene? Or, for that matter, Love and Monsters? God, the writing hasn't gotten worse; Doctor Who always has some bad episodes.
Factbook (FanT·FT)
Embassies
Political Info (OOC)
WARNING: My writing might contain amounts of extreme pomp and purple prose. Read at your own caution.
QUE VIVA EL REY!

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Fedeledland wrote:
Britannic Realms wrote:

Once again, can you kindly rewatch the "Jesus Doctor" scene? Or, for that matter, Love and Monsters? God, the writing hasn't gotten worse; Doctor Who always has some bad episodes.
Love and Monsters wasn't that bad. If you want a truly terrible episode, then I recommend The Next Doctor.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Fedeledland wrote:
Love and Monsters wasn't that bad. If you want a truly terrible episode, then I recommend The Next Doctor.

Love and Monsters existed solely to make the viewer uncomfortable.

The Next Doctor existed as a prequel to the day when Davies leads the armies of Hell and destroys Heaven.

Goodbye.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:28 pm

That was abysmal.
I have no more to say about it.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Fedeledland wrote:Love and Monsters

I may never willingly listen to ELO since I was subjected to Love and Monsters.
Which, admittedly, is not a huge loss, as the number of times I'd willingly listened to ELO before seeing that episode was 0.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:38 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Fedeledland wrote:Love and Monsters

Which, admittedly, is not a huge loss, as the number of times I'd willingly listened to ELO before seeing that episode was 0.

Honestly, the Doctor-lite episodes are universally god-awful - even Turn Left, which was so promising.

Goodbye.

Fedeledland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedeledland » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Love and Monsters wasn't that bad. If you want a truly terrible episode, then I recommend The Next Doctor.

Love and Monsters existed solely to make the viewer uncomfortable.

The Next Doctor existed as a prequel to the day when Davies leads the armies of Hell and destroys Heaven.

I absolutely forgot about Next Doctor. That's not a prequel, that's just the amount of horror and terrible writing that our human puny minds could watch. In reality, Next Doctor was a mirror of the Time War.
Factbook (FanT·FT)
Embassies
Political Info (OOC)
WARNING: My writing might contain amounts of extreme pomp and purple prose. Read at your own caution.
QUE VIVA EL REY!

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

Honestly, the Doctor-lite episodes are universally god-awful - even Turn Left, which was so promising.

That one wasn't quite as bad, if only because it didn't feel so horribly out-of-place.
Like, when I was watching Love and Monsters my mom walked out and saw the TV and said, "I knew you'd have to take a break from Doctor Who eventually!"
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:59 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:Honestly, the Doctor-lite episodes are universally god-awful - even Turn Left, which was so promising.

That one wasn't quite as bad, if only because it didn't feel so horribly out-of-place.
Like, when I was watching Love and Monsters my mom walked out and saw the TV and said, "I knew you'd have to take a break from Doctor Who eventually!"

Not to mention that the supporting cast (the lead wasn't too bad) were absolutely miserable.

Let's not even pretend the special effects department gave a shit that day.

Goodbye.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:22 pm

I'm gonna' guess that Oswin will be back on Saturday - something connected to "Remember me".

Seems like something the Grand Moff would do.

Goodbye.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

Not to mention that the supporting cast (the lead wasn't too bad) were absolutely miserable.

Let's not even pretend the special effects department gave a shit that day.

Hey hey hey, leave Marc Warren out of this.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:46 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

I sort of liked that one. Except for the paradox.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

Fedeledland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedeledland » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:00 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:Honestly, the Doctor-lite episodes are universally god-awful - even Turn Left, which was so promising.

I sort of liked that one. Except for the paradox.

I actually quite liked it.

...Woah, Sylvester McCoy is in The Hobbit?!
Factbook (FanT·FT)
Embassies
Political Info (OOC)
QUE VIVA EL REY!

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Fedeledland wrote:

As Radagast the Brown, isn't he?
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Fedeledland wrote:

Yep. He was also the second choice for Bilbo in the LoTR.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Fedeledland wrote:

A.K.A the slacker hippie Istari. The one who went off to live with the animals rather than do his job and help the Children of Ilúvatar. Honestly one of my favorite characters.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:40 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

I beg to differ.. "blink" was awsome... and a wonderful way to introduce someone to the doctor.

Turn Left was a clip show trying not to be a clip show.

I hated 'Mercy'. when has the doctor ever tried to get someone killed. Christopher Eccleson's Dr was the one born of war and conflict and even he gave the 'bad guys' a second chance.

David Tennant offered his hand to Skarro...

and Mat SMith tries to kill a man trying to redeem his life.... WTF?!?!
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:10 am

JuNii wrote:I beg to differ.. "blink" was awsome... and a wonderful way to introduce someone to the doctor.

I honestly didn't even notice that Blink was Doctor-lite while I was watching it. I was too busy noticing how awesome the Weeping Angels are.
Last edited by Astrolinium on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:56 am

JuNii wrote:

I beg to differ.. "blink" was awsome... and a wonderful way to introduce someone to the doctor.

Turn Left was a clip show trying not to be a clip show.

I hated 'Mercy'. when has the doctor ever tried to get someone killed. Christopher Eccleson's Dr was the one born of war and conflict and even he gave the 'bad guys' a second chance.

David Tennant offered his hand to Skarro...

and Mat SMith tries to kill a man trying to redeem his life.... WTF?!?!

No one, apart from the caveman whose head he attempted to bash in because it was in his way, the Ice Warriors he killed with a heat ray, the Ogron who was in his way/attempting to kill him (the first is what happened in the episode, the second what was meant to happen), Goth (in an absolutely brutal fight) and at least one guy who he managed to trick into committing suicide.

Also relevant: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lzmnPs64 ... zmnPs64K74

Still, it is true that the current Doctor is acting a but out of character. I suspect that there's a reason for that, and that Oswin is somehow involved.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction