NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
75%
Linux/Unix
14%
Mac
9%
OS/2
1%
DOS
1%
Phantom OS
0%
Croquet
1%

Total votes : 878

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:57 pm

If I recall correctly, traffic congestion is the common effect of using many devices over one internet connection. I remember one of the Apple conferences where Steve Jobs got frustrated about the speed of the internet (while demonstrating iPhone 4), because so many journalists and spectators were using the Wi-Fi network at once.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:37 am

Valentine Z wrote:
Minoa wrote:It may be in reference to https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/bug-in-wi ... -data-now/

There was a bug in earlier versions of Windows 10’s Latest Update that many allege deleted documents: no one should expect this destructive bug to happen in the first place.

What the s-... okay, that's even worse!

Damn, I should have stayed on Windows 7 or even 8.

Except that you have to try hard to not stay on Windows 10 since the Microsoft will put notifications. Accidental click to that notification and the update to Win 10 is underway.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:40 am

Grand Britannia wrote:So anyone have any idea why a windows computer would decided to completely murder all of its audio drivers from time to time, and cause certain applications (games) to crash after it does it.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers, enabling and disabling them, none of that works. I'm forced to go and restart the computer.

It came up to my old laptop some years ago. I think it has something to do with either, a bit forgot about it, the hardware. It's been a little old for my one, it's been with me since 2010 and into the 4-5 years it went down. I played game a lot with it, too. Not just Steam, but also Flash ones as well. If not the hardware, it's whatever software you install as well. Like the games. I don't know for certain but somehow it wrecked my audio drivers. And yet when I brought it to the repair, it didn't come from the software so most likely it is from the hardware.

I used Win 7 back then.
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:02 am

Valentine Z wrote:

Except that you have to try hard to not stay on Windows 10 since the Microsoft will put notifications. Accidental click to that notification and the update to Win 10 is underway.

It was the case back in 2015-2016, as part of the one-year upgrade campaign. It didn't go down well but I was able to avoid it by keeping on top of the KB numbers that I had to reject. A new PC is being planned that will take up a lot less space, but I have no idea about the OS given my negative perception of Windows 10 right now. In the worst case, I probably have to look into a Enterprise quote.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:08 am

Valentine Z wrote:

I already am on Windows 10, for my main machine. Home entertainment laptop is still on Windows 7, and somehow... we simply managed to keep the update from getting its grubby hands on us.

For my laptop (Dell's Inspiron 7559), it is currently at its maximum 16 GB RAM (8 + 8) capacity, DDR3L. I wonder if I can get 24 GB (16 + 8), or 32 GB (16 + 16) of RAM, because while Dell doesn't have an official answer, some people seemed to be able to do it. Only problem is, I need to make damn sure that it can accept 16 GB RAM chips, or I will easily blow $300 for nothing.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:50 am

According to http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/inspiron-1 ... /CT9056000, Crucial UK (Micron Technology) seems to be upbeat about 32 GB RAM support, but there are no reviews yet. There is no question that a 64-bit OS is a given for more than 3 GB of RAM, but further verification is needed in case Dell modified the motherboard to limit the RAM.

Seraven
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:38 am

Is this the right place to discuss about smartphone? I mean, smartphone has OS and well, they functionally similar with computer.
Copper can change as its quality went down.
Gold can't change, for its quality never went down.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:31 am

Seraven wrote:Is this the right place to discuss about smartphone? I mean, smartphone has OS and well, they functionally similar with computer.

I did start a smartphone thread, and an internet thread, some time ago, but both died due to inactivity. This thread had unofficially become the go-to thread for all tech and internet in general.

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:26 am

Seraven wrote:Is this the right place to discuss about smartphone? I mean, smartphone has OS and well, they functionally similar with computer.

I would say a smartphone is a computer.
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:08 am

Has anyone here used Intel Optane memory? If so, how do you rate the performance of it? Do you think it is worth getting instead of an SSD if you want to spend less?

In some advertisements for newer computers, it is marketed as having 24 GB of memory but what it really means is it having something like 16 GB of Optane memory and 8 GB of actual RAM. From what I can discern, Optane memory is a proprietary technology by Intel that is meant as a "stop gap" between the transition from traditional HDD to SSD. It is basically storage space on a motherboard that caches the most frequently used files or processes to help speed up HDD performance.

You see a lot of machines with HDDs get paired with this Optane memory as of late, but you don't see it with any SSD based systems. With a traditional HDD you get way more space for less money (2+ TB at 7200 RPM) but you don't get the speed of an SSD. With an SSD you get the speed but not the storage space. I see only up to 256 GB SSDs for budget laptops, unless you want to pay a lot more past $600.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:13 am

Ardoki wrote:

I would say a smartphone is a computer.

Technically, a brain is a computer.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Saiwania wrote:Has anyone here used Intel Optane memory? If so, how do you rate the performance of it? Do you think it is worth getting instead of an SSD if you want to spend less?

In some advertisements for newer computers, it is marketed as having 24 GB of memory but what it really means is it having something like 16 GB of Optane memory and 8 GB of actual RAM. From what I can discern, Optane memory is a proprietary technology by Intel that is meant as a "stop gap" between the transition from traditional HDD to SSD. It is basically storage space on a motherboard that caches the most frequently used files or processes to help speed up HDD performance.

You see a lot of machines with HDDs get paired with this Optane memory as of late, but you don't see it with any SSD based systems. With a traditional HDD you get way more space for less money (2+ TB at 7200 RPM) but you don't get the speed of an SSD. With an SSD you get the speed but not the storage space. I see only up to 256 GB SSDs for budget laptops, unless you want to pay a lot more past $600.

It's really annoying that a cache is considered the same as memory for marketing purposes. Load of crap.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:51 pm

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
Ardoki wrote:I would say a smartphone is a computer.

No.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:42 pm

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
Ardoki wrote:I would say a smartphone is a computer.

That is a bit of a stretch in my opinion, albeit tempting given the complexity of human civilisation.
Last edited by Minoa on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:11 am

What kind of operating system does space station use? Do they use Windows, Linux, or some kind of original OS that is not open for public use?

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:06 am

The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:What kind of operating system does space station use? Do they use Windows, Linux, or some kind of original OS that is not open for public use?

Probably differs slightly between countries.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:59 am

The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:What kind of operating system does space station use? Do they use Windows, Linux, or some kind of original OS that is not open for public use?

It seems to be a mix of some old school proprietary stuff for the critical systems and Linux for the laptops:

https://space.stackexchange.com/questio ... on-running

Although saying that it looks like there has been a trend to Windows for more personal use laptops that don't connect to any of actual station systems.
Last edited by Crookfur on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:20 am

Ardoki wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:Technically, a brain is a computer.

No.

It's not a mechanical computer, but the same principles apply, do they not?

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:20 am

Debian for key systems. They moved on from all-Windows for stability reasons, but yesterday's technical incident shows that computers and software have a finite shelf-life.
Last edited by Minoa on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:32 am

Source: https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/microsoft ... stry-back/

Choosing PC parts should be a challenge and choosing an OS should have been a breeze, but now it is the other way round. I use apps (like Max) that work only on Windows in general, but there is little to no justification for me to go for Windows 10 when there are so many bugs and privacy scares. On the other hand, the venerable Windows 7 is not supported on Intel Core i7-8700K, and will be retired in 2020.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:38 am

Minoa wrote:

Debian for key systems. They moved on from all-Windows for stability reasons, but yesterday's technical incident shows that computers and software have a finite shelf-life.

Why NASA ( I assume they use Windows most of the times, while the rest of the world not) moved on from all-Windows?

Industrial Republics
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Republics » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Minoa wrote:Debian for key systems. They moved on from all-Windows for stability reasons, but yesterday's technical incident shows that computers and software have a finite shelf-life.

Why NASA ( I assume they use Windows most of the times, while the rest of the world not) moved on from all-Windows?

Because Windows, especially Windows 10, isn't known for stability. They do have the LTSB, but I'm not sure how often that is used to be honest as it requires very specific licensing.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:11 am

Industrial Republics wrote:

Because Windows, especially Windows 10, isn't known for stability. They do have the LTSB, but I'm not sure how often that is used to be honest as it requires very specific licensing.

With all the drama that is going on, it would take a lot to convince me to leave Windows 7.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Okay, I can’t get Internet on my laptop. The network I’m supposed to connect is not showing up, but my phone is currently connected to it. Is there anything I can do.?

I don’t use an Ethernet cable or anything like that.
1 John 1:9

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Nordengrund wrote:Okay, I can’t get Internet on my laptop. The network I’m supposed to connect is not showing up, but my phone is currently connected to it. Is there anything I can do.?

I don’t use an Ethernet cable or anything like that.

Have you tried running Windows Network Diagnostics (if you're on Windows)? This sometimes happens to me and WND fixes the problem, which is an invalid IP configuration. It resets the adapter, which is easy enough without using it, but it's slightly more convenient that way.
If that doesn't work, try running cmd as admin and enter "netsh winsock reset" and reboot.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction