NATION

PASSWORD

Scifi TV Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Initial Thoughts on Discovery

Love it
14%
Like it
23%
So-so
29%
Dislike it
11%
Hate it
23%

Total votes : 396

Eastern Denmark
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Eastern Denmark » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:00 pm

I'm sticking to Tribbles.
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be. -Miguel De Cervantes

Stern des Meeres
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Stern des Meeres » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:19 pm

I liked The Menagerie a lot, too.
Sun Wukong wrote:All hail Stern. Empress of Nerds. Dread-Queen of TeT.
Other Thafoo wrote:hey stern, you should put this quote into your sig, it'll be fun

"bananas"
Esternial wrote:You're a good student, Sterny.

You'll accomplish great things.

Or end up faced down in the gutter, completely wasted.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:28 pm

Eastern Denmark wrote:favorite episode: trouble with tribbles

I see your tribbles and raise you one game of Fizbin.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Tsa-la-gi Nation wrote:
Eastern Denmark wrote:favorite episode: trouble with tribbles

maybe for me Mudd's Women, just my 1st thought.

The episode that taught me the placebo effect, certainly interesting.
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

The Imperial Republic of New Kyoto
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Republic of New Kyoto » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:16 pm

How can you guys only pick ONE favorite? I'd have to pick at least FIVE per series.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:19 pm

Eastern Denmark wrote:I'm sticking to Tribbles.

Lacked significant philosophical depth.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Stern des Meeres
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Stern des Meeres » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:19 pm

The Imperial Republic of New Kyoto wrote:How can you guys only pick ONE favorite? I'd have to pick at least FIVE per series.

I'm only 14 episodes deep on TOS, so I don't have a lot to choose from. I'm a newly-converted Trekkie. :p
Other Thafoo wrote:hey stern, you should put this quote into your sig, it'll be fun

"bananas"

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:20 pm

The Imperial Republic of New Kyoto wrote:How can you guys only pick ONE favorite? I'd have to pick at least FIVE per series.

Its fairly easy. You pick those five from each series. (Except Enterprise, because seriously Fuck Enterprise, you aren't going to be able to get 5 from it) Then you throw those 25 or so episodes on an island in a fight to the death and the last episode standing is the new favorite.
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:25 pm

The Corparation wrote:

Its fairly easy. You pick those five from each series. (Except Enterprise, because seriously Fuck Enterprise, you aren't going to be able to get 5 from it) Then you throw those 25 or so episodes on an island in a fight to the death and the last episode standing is the new favorite.

Am I the only person who likes Enterprise? I'm only up to season 2 though.
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:27 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Its fairly easy. You pick those five from each series. (Except Enterprise, because seriously Fuck Enterprise, you aren't going to be able to get 5 from it) Then you throw those 25 or so episodes on an island in a fight to the death and the last episode standing is the new favorite.

Yes. Its okay though. We won't judge you for it.....well actually we will., in fact you may now just become a laughing stock for this.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Republic of New Kyoto » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Its fairly easy. You pick those five from each series. (Except Enterprise, because seriously Fuck Enterprise, you aren't going to be able to get 5 from it) Then you throw those 25 or so episodes on an island in a fight to the death and the last episode standing is the new favorite.

I liked Commander Tucker. I also found many season 4 episodes better than the earlier seasons. Also, the episodes involving Shran and the Andorrians were pretty good.

Temporal Cold War though? Not so much.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Stern des Meeres wrote:

I'm only 14 episodes deep on TOS, so I don't have a lot to choose from. I'm a newly-converted Trekkie. :p

Bah. Hard sci-fi is best sci-fi

Gattaca
The Andromeda Strain
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:50 pm

The Imperial Republic of New Kyoto wrote:
Chinese Regions wrote:Am I the only person who likes Enterprise? I'm only up to season 2 though.

I liked Commander Tucker. I also found many season 4 episodes better than the earlier seasons. Also, the episodes involving Shran and the Andorrians were pretty good.

Temporal Cold War though? Not so much.

Yeah the Temperoal cold war is annoying.
First Flight is one of my favourite episodes.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:

T'Pol is just Seven of Nine all over again.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Stern des Meeres
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Stern des Meeres » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:51 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Stern des Meeres wrote:I'm only 14 episodes deep on TOS, so I don't have a lot to choose from. I'm a newly-converted Trekkie. :p

Gattaca
The Andromeda Strain

I'll look into those.

"bananas"

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Stern des Meeres wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Bah. Hard sci-fi is best sci-fi

Gattaca
The Andromeda Strain

I'll look into those.

I find science fiction that speculates on the implications of actual science, as opposed to fantasy science, is the most interesting. Although to be fair 2001 gets really surreal at the end, even if it made sense in the context of hyper technology. The Andromeda Strain is by far the most realistic contact-with-aliens story I'm aware of.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:59 pm

Stern des Meeres wrote:

Gattaca
The Andromeda Strain

I'll look into those.

Try Planetes, it's the hardest space sci-fi I've seen.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:00 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Stern des Meeres wrote:I'm only 14 episodes deep on TOS, so I don't have a lot to choose from. I'm a newly-converted Trekkie. :p

Gattaca
The Andromeda Strain

I see your Hard SciFi and raise you Destination Moon OneBrought to you by Robert A. Heinlein, the Ron Jeremy of Hard SciFi.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:01 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

Gattaca
The Andromeda Strain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J19VZ9DwUos

Stern des Meeres
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Stern des Meeres » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:02 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Stern des Meeres wrote:I'll look into those.

I find science fiction that speculates on the implications of actual science, as opposed to fantasy science, is the most interesting. Although to be fair 2001 gets really surreal at the end, even if it made sense in the context of hyper technology. The Andromeda Strain is by far the most realistic contact-with-aliens story I'm aware of.

I agree. It makes sense that plots that seem plausible, even if only plausible in the distant future, would be more interesting than plots with no connection to science.

"bananas"

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:(Image)This was what was voted, what's your personal ultimate crew?
Picard
Spock
Scotty
Bones
Worf
Hoshi
Sulu
Data

The fuck? Who the hell voted for Janeway? As far as protocol goes, she's the absolutely worst captain. Meanwhile, Piccard gets shit done with minimal losses and Kirk...er. Bangs everyone with a pulse?
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:04 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Stern des Meeres wrote:I'll look into those.

I like a degree of realism, but that is usually only to convey themes of space exploration better. Star Trek conveys themes regardless of the realism of the setting, which is why I like it, in fact that sci-fi and fantasy in general, Star Trek just speaks the most to me.
Last edited by Chinese Regions on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Republic of New Kyoto » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:05 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

Gattaca
The Andromeda Strain

Bushwah! If you like it, it's all good!

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:08 pm

AETEN II wrote:
Chinese Regions wrote:(Image)This was what was voted, what's your personal ultimate crew?
Picard
Spock
Scotty
Bones
Worf
Hoshi
Sulu
Data

The fuck? Who the hell voted for Janeway? As far as protocol goes, she's the absolutely worst captain. Meanwhile, Piccard gets shit done with minimal losses and Kirk...er. Bangs everyone with a pulse?

Don't forget Sisko, he punched an omnipotent being in the face.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:11 pm

The Imperial Republic of New Kyoto wrote:

Gattaca
The Andromeda Strain

Bushwah! If you like it, it's all good!

Yes, but it's good is for different reasons. Star Trek is good in the same way Gulliver's Travels is good (and can be just as thought provoking), whereas hard sci-fi is good in the sense that it speculates on the implications, often philosophical, of future scientific possibility.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction