NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
75%
Linux/Unix
14%
Mac
9%
OS/2
1%
DOS
1%
Phantom OS
0%
Croquet
1%

Total votes : 878

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Minoa wrote:
Industrial Republics wrote:I'd imagine not much in the short term, you'll have to wait for the 20XX's to mature as right now the enthusiast pricing is gonna stay for a bit.

Hopefully it will not be caught up in the crypto-currency craze.

The crypto market is basically fucked at the minute.

And a good second-hand graphics card is not easy to find because one cannot tell if it had been used for crypto-mining.

They're often in a better state than ex-gaming cards. The fans tend to have more wear, but crypto cards tend to be ran at consistent temperatures and loads, so the actual cards are generally better off than those that are subjected to highly variable loads/heating, like gaming cards.

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Ardoki wrote:The card would have been under a very heavy workload, I would guess. I'd say that might cause wear and tear on the card.

More specifically the heat and overclocking alone would cause damage to the card like warping and whatnot.

So by the time it gets to you that card has very little time on it.

Essentially without exception, crypto cards are massively underclocked (it's more profitable that way, because electricity use drops by more than performance does), and ran at reasonably low temperatures (mostly due to said underclocks)
Last edited by Salandriagado on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Britannia » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:49 pm

Industrial Republics wrote:
Grand Britannia wrote:So anyone have any idea why a windows computer would decided to completely murder all of its audio drivers from time to time, and cause certain applications (games) to crash after it does it.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers, enabling and disabling them, none of that works. I'm forced to go and restart the computer.

I've been having that issue with the newest build of Win10. Windows is doubling down on being ass.

It's getting really frustrating.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Immoren » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:17 am

I do wonder if I should even bother trying to fix issues with current PC's problem of "not waking up w/o turning off from PSU" or if I should get new PC and scavenge working components for some budget PC for family, given my current PC is build around AM3+ MOBO and FX-8xxx processor. lol
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Industrial Republics
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Republics » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:37 pm

Immoren wrote:I do wonder if I should even bother trying to fix issues with current PC's problem of "not waking up w/o turning off from PSU" or if I should get new PC and scavenge working components for some budget PC for family, given my current PC is build around AM3+ MOBO and FX-8xxx processor. lol

I am upgraded from Bulldozer to Ryzen recently, it's pretty cheap to get better performance. Only DDR4 is robbery right now.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:52 am

Industrial Republics wrote:
Immoren wrote:I do wonder if I should even bother trying to fix issues with current PC's problem of "not waking up w/o turning off from PSU" or if I should get new PC and scavenge working components for some budget PC for family, given my current PC is build around AM3+ MOBO and FX-8xxx processor. lol

I am upgraded from Bulldozer to Ryzen recently, it's pretty cheap to get better performance. Only DDR4 is robbery right now.

DDR4 prices may come crashing down when DDR5 comes out but only if DDR5 sells well - DDR5 will be yet another attempt at cutting power consumption, and it seems it is all about saving energy. I don't know how it will be received by then again it is still in development.
Last edited by Minoa on Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nordengrund » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:11 am

My C drive for Windows 10 is almost entirely full. I tried a disk cleanup but nothing happened when I clicked on it.
1 John 1:9

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Salandriagado wrote:Essentially without exception, crypto cards are massively underclocked (it's more profitable that way, because electricity use drops by more than performance does), and ran at reasonably low temperatures (mostly due to said underclocks)

I'd assume that's the case on professional cryptominers (ie. really big businesses that most of what they do is setup cryptomining farms and most of their revenue comes from this).

But since mom-n-pop enterprises have sprung up, I would not hold my breath of they knowing they need to do this in order to extend the life of the graphics card. So I would not say "Essentially without exception", more like "generally", unless you have some kind of insight on mom-n-pop enterprises that get their cards from your local computer parts store that I don't.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Nordengrund wrote:My C drive for Windows 10 is almost entirely full. I tried a disk cleanup but nothing happened when I clicked on it.

Clear these folders:
Code: Select all
C:\Windows\Users\[Nordengrund]\AppData\Local\Temp\
C:\Windows\Users\[Nordengrund]\Downloads\
C:\Windows\Temp\
C:\$Recycle.Bin

Also:
  • Clear your browsing history, cache, etc. on any browsers you use.
  • Run Revo Uninstaller to check for residual files from programs you uninstalled, and to review the applications on your system to ensure that you actually need them
  • Run PC Decrapifier if you still have OEM bloatware taking up space
  • Delete old, unneeded documents
  • Move music, games, and videos to a secondary drive
  • Restart your PC if you haven't done so in a while
Doing all of this periodically can free up a dozen or more gigabytes on a hard drive.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:17 am

Very soon, terabyte drives will be the norm as soon as the prices for SSD equivalents fall to a sensible level. A Samsung 1 TB SSD currently retails for £178.09, which is still higher than a 4 TB mechanical drive for about £100. The problem is that games are requiring more and more disk space, with GTA 5 demanding a whopping 72 GB.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:26 am

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:Essentially without exception, crypto cards are massively underclocked (it's more profitable that way, because electricity use drops by more than performance does), and ran at reasonably low temperatures (mostly due to said underclocks)

I'd assume that's the case on professional cryptominers (ie. really big businesses that most of what they do is setup cryptomining farms and most of their revenue comes from this).

But since mom-n-pop enterprises have sprung up, I would not hold my breath of they knowing they need to do this in order to extend the life of the graphics card. So I would not say "Essentially without exception", more like "generally", unless you have some kind of insight on mom-n-pop enterprises that get their cards from your local computer parts store that I don't.

It's nothing to do with making the cards last longer: it's just more cost-efficient in terms of electricity consumption. Anyone who managed to so much as read one of the first guides that pop up when you google "how to mine bitcoin" or similar will have them underclocked as much as they can.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010

Postby Immoren » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 am

So. I know that internet infrastructure is most important determinator you network speed and latency, but does network adapter affect it in anyway? Because it looks like after getting new computer I have much faster results in speedtesting. Then again that might be that this being relatively empty computer there are less programs competing for internet connection atm. And it's not like that at this point any gains in speed make noticeable difference.
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:03 am

I'm amazed how Windows 10 keeps finding new ways to annoy and disappoint me.
Everything is intertwinkled

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:07 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:I'm amazed how Windows 10 keeps finding new ways to annoy and disappoint me.

Windows 10, I find your lack of stability... disturbing. ;)

With that aside, now I have a hardware problem. Either because I stabbed my keys too hard, or something else entirely, some keys on my Inspiron 7559 is turning on and off at certain intervals:

0 p ' / [ ]

These are the keys that are half alive and half dead. Good news is, I can buy a replacement part for USD 15, AND it has backlight! Something that the original keyboard was lacking.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:42 am

Valentine Z wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:I'm amazed how Windows 10 keeps finding new ways to annoy and disappoint me.

It may be in reference to https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/bug-in-wi ... -data-now/

There was a bug in earlier versions of Windows 10’s Latest Update that many allege deleted documents: no one should expect this destructive bug to happen in the first place.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:55 am

Minoa wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:

It may be in reference to https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/bug-in-wi ... -data-now/

There was a bug in earlier versions of Windows 10’s Latest Update that many allege deleted documents: no one should expect this destructive bug to happen in the first place.

What the s-... okay, that's even worse!

Damn, I should have stayed on Windows 7 or even 8.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:11 pm

Immoren wrote:So. I know that internet infrastructure is most important determinator you network speed and latency, but does network adapter affect it in anyway? Because it looks like after getting new computer I have much faster results in speedtesting. Then again that might be that this being relatively empty computer there are less programs competing for internet connection atm. And it's not like that at this point any gains in speed make noticeable difference.

Speed: Broadly, whatever was the bottleneck before is the limiting factor. If you had very fast infrastructure/etc. but a shitty adaptor, then fixing the adaptor will improve things.
Latency: The sum of the latencies of all of the individual components is what matters, so yes, if your adaptor was shitty and adding a lot of latency, that will make a difference.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:36 am

Minoa wrote:Very soon, terabyte drives will be the norm as soon as the prices for SSD equivalents fall to a sensible level. A Samsung 1 TB SSD currently retails for £178.09, which is still higher than a 4 TB mechanical drive for about £100. The problem is that games are requiring more and more disk space, with GTA 5 demanding a whopping 72 GB.

We just bought a 2 TB external for our PS4 for $80. They're getting insanely cheap. I remember when I bought a 500 GB for my computer for $60 and thinking that was a good deal.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:37 am

Also here is a question I'm curious about: Are you better off getting an ultra wide monitor or 3 monitors? Let's exclude price differences here, I'm just legitimately curious what would be better overall. I know 3 kind of makes a screen split, but I dunno if ultra wide ones curve as nice for the view for 3 monitors.
My Last.FM and RYM

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:14 pm

Corrian wrote:Also here is a question I'm curious about: Are you better off getting an ultra wide monitor or 3 monitors? Let's exclude price differences here, I'm just legitimately curious what would be better overall. I know 3 kind of makes a screen split, but I dunno if ultra wide ones curve as nice for the view for 3 monitors.

I really dislike multiple monitors myself; virtual desktops are perfectly able to deal with having lots of windows. You probably do get a bit more screen space with multiple screens, though.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:20 pm

Freaking Geforce Experience sucks ass.
My Last.FM and RYM

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:31 am

Corrian wrote:Also here is a question I'm curious about: Are you better off getting an ultra wide monitor or 3 monitors? Let's exclude price differences here, I'm just legitimately curious what would be better overall. I know 3 kind of makes a screen split, but I dunno if ultra wide ones curve as nice for the view for 3 monitors.

I was thinking about a simple 15-20” retina-style monitor, preferably with the ability to dim it at night, with f.lux doing the temperature. Not too large, otherwise it is likely to be difficult to tilt it to the optimal angle.
Last edited by Minoa on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:11 am

Does anyone know what could cause your computer to just randomly here and there load webpages extremely slowly, and occasionally outright freeze up your computer? I had my computer crash and restart itself twice in one day a couple of days ago. I would just have a link eternally loading, and then at some points it just freeze everything up. Could a bad adapter which seems to have a spotty internet connection do that? I had it disconnect me from GTA V Online like 3 or 4 times yesterday and my sister had no issues whatsoever. I also updated my drivers after the 2 crashes and it hasn't crashed since, but I'm not entirely convinced the issue is fixed as it just froze up for a brief moment and I've had things be weird with loading a couple of times, though maybe not to the same extent.
My Last.FM and RYM

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nordengrund » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:05 am

Okay, I’m having some Wi-fi issues. It is very slow for me except when I am on cellular data. Since I just moved out of my mom’s house, I am still using her ISP and I pay her every month for it. Since I moved in with my dad, though, I am using his network. Also, we are always using our computers, so do any of these things come in conflict? How can I make my Wi-fi faster and more stable (as it often likes to jump back and forth between the network and the cellular data).
1 John 1:9

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:10 am

Nordengrund wrote:Okay, I’m having some Wi-fi issues. It is very slow for me except when I am on cellular data. Since I just moved out of my mom’s house, I am still using her ISP and I pay her every month for it. Since I moved in with my dad, though, I am using his network. Also, we are always using our computers, so do any of these things come in conflict? How can I make my Wi-fi faster and more stable (as it often likes to jump back and forth between the network and the cellular data).

It may just be that he's on a slow plan. If you're willing to pay yourself, you can get a faster service.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:53 pm

Nordengrund wrote:Okay, I’m having some Wi-fi issues. It is very slow for me except when I am on cellular data. Since I just moved out of my mom’s house, I am still using her ISP and I pay her every month for it. Since I moved in with my dad, though, I am using his network. Also, we are always using our computers, so do any of these things come in conflict? How can I make my Wi-fi faster and more stable (as it often likes to jump back and forth between the network and the cellular data).

What band is it (a/b/g/n/ac)? How old is your router? And is it an ISP provided router/modem or is a modem/router combination (either separately or together in one device) that you guys own?

Also, yes, the more computers you have connected the more bandwidth it uses as you use all devices concurrently, so there's less to use for your cellphone. Tho your network processes traffic usually on demand, meaning if you are just letting your computer sit idle on the network with no internet data being downloaded/uploaded it's not going to make a difference anyways.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction