NATION

PASSWORD

[Discussion] Should DOS'ing be a permanent punishment?

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:56 pm

Springfeal wrote:He tried to get back in properly, but was denied.

So he clearly hasn't changed much then, as he is still rulebreaking just by being here.

Springfeal wrote:That aside, the mods handled my friend's case in a pretty immature way.

He would have needed to be a persistent rulebreaker to be declared DOS, so don't act as if butter doesn't melt in his mouth. :roll:

Springfeal wrote:I know that a couple mods are okay, but a lot of them are like your stereotypical bad police officer that just cares about meeting their citation/arrest quotas.

...do you seriously think that the mods really care about numbers? :eyebrow:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Springfeal
Envoy

Founded: Jul 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:01 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Springfeal wrote:He tried to get back in properly, but was denied.

So he clearly hasn't changed much then, as he is still rulebreaking just by being here.

Springfeal wrote:That aside, the mods handled my friend's case in a pretty immature way.

He would have needed to be a persistent rulebreaker to be declared DOS, so don't act as if butter doesn't melt in his mouth. :roll:

Springfeal wrote:I know that a couple mods are okay, but a lot of them are like your stereotypical bad police officer that just cares about meeting their citation/arrest quotas.

...do you seriously think that the mods really care about numbers? :eyebrow:

He hasn't done any rule breaking nor really attracted the mods attention since sneaking back in NS last year. He has changed. And the mods do care about numbers. The mods on several occasions have gloated about the "mod olympics points" they get when they warn another player or deat someone.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:04 pm

Springfeal wrote:He hasn't done any rule breaking nor really attracted the mods attention since sneaking back in NS last year. He has changed.

Being on the site unannounced while DOS is in and of itself breaking the rules. So therefore no, he hasn't changed if he is still rulebreaking.

Springfeal wrote:And the mods do care about numbers. The mods on several occasions have gloated about the "mod olympics points" they get when they warn another player or deat someone.

Omfg. Are you serious? They were clearly joking. :roll:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:14 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
The Sherpa Empire wrote:There are people that need to be banned for more than a year.

Who?

Ebola, no matter what you tell her she keeps infecting people.

On topic, I am not one for multiple chances for forgiveness. I think the current system is fine, if someone is repentant, let the mods decide.
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Springfeal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:52 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Springfeal wrote:He hasn't done any rule breaking nor really attracted the mods attention since sneaking back in NS last year. He has changed.

Being on the site unannounced while DOS is in and of itself breaking the rules. So therefore no, he hasn't changed if he is still rulebreaking.

Springfeal wrote:And the mods do care about numbers. The mods on several occasions have gloated about the "mod olympics points" they get when they warn another player or deat someone.

Omfg. Are you serious? They were clearly joking. :roll:

Doubt it. The mod olympics are a real thing.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:53 pm

Springfeal wrote:
The New California Republic wrote: Omfg. Are you serious? They were clearly joking. :roll:

Doubt it. The mod olympics are a real thing.

*SIGH*

Wave on, wave on

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:57 pm

Springfeal wrote:Doubt it. The mod olympics are a real thing.

If you really think I spend one to six hours a day moderating this site for a forum thread that comes out maybe every 2-3 years, there's no possible chance of convincing you you're wrong. Then again, reading this thread, I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen in any event.

BTW, none of us are Elvis, we don't moderate out of Area 51, and only one of us was at the faked moon landing. And I didn't shoot JFK.

Springfeal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:49 pm

The mod olympics are real.

Farnhamia wrote:
Godular wrote:
Don't y'all already do that? I'd swear you have a mod olympics where you recognize those that have the most deletions handed out and whatnot...

Or is that part of the joke?

I was thinking of next year, but yes, we do have a Mod Olympics, too.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:04 pm

Springfeal wrote:The mod olympics are real.

Farnhamia wrote:I was thinking of next year, but yes, we do have a Mod Olympics, too.

Literally no one was disputing that but as Fris already said, do you really think they (and the rest of the mods) spend their time trying to rack up points for some dumb forum thread that happens once every few years.

Like the last Mod Olympics was in 2016, it's not some special annual occurrence nor do the mods even get anything for 'winning' other than congratulations from the users and just some lighthearted fun.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Springfeal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:06 pm

Gandoor wrote:
Springfeal wrote:The mod olympics are real.

Literally no one was disputing that but as Fris already said, do you really think they (and the rest of the mods) spend their time trying to rack up points for some dumb forum thread that happens once every few years.

Like the last Mod Olympics was in 2016, it's not some special annual occurrence nor do the mods even get anything for 'winning' other than congratulations from the users and just some lighthearted fun.

My point still stands, the mods get judged by how many warnings and deats they hand out and are promoted based on that. It also explains the arbitrary manner in which they enforce the rules. This is why they hate "rules lawyering".

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Springfeal wrote:
Gandoor wrote:Literally no one was disputing that but as Fris already said, do you really think they (and the rest of the mods) spend their time trying to rack up points for some dumb forum thread that happens once every few years.

My point still stands, the mods get judged by how many warnings and deats they hand out and are promoted based on that. It also explains the arbitrary manner in which they enforce the rules. This is why they hate "rules lawyering".

We get judged, by whom? non of the admins care. The rest of the mods don't care beyond getting a bit of a joke about it. The mod Olympics are no more serious then the April fools jokes.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:17 pm

Springfeal wrote:
Gandoor wrote:Literally no one was disputing that but as Fris already said, do you really think they (and the rest of the mods) spend their time trying to rack up points for some dumb forum thread that happens once every few years.

Do you even have a single iota of evidence that what you're saying is true?

Cause you've been going all over this thread about how the mods are promoted based on how many people they punish and they just wanna get their Mod Olympics scores up and it's all arbitrary when it comes to punishing rule-breaking but I say either put up or shut up.
Last edited by Gandoor on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:22 pm

Springfeal wrote:

Pfft, yeah right. Pull the other one, it has bells on it.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:24 pm

Lol. The Mod Olympics.

Edit: I suppose I should actually make a comment more than that...

So I'll say this: Moderating isn't fun. At all. It's pretty much the opposite of "joyful" and "entertaining." If anything, it's prone to increasing misanthropy and cynicism, as a few studies involving community management and online moderation have shown. The Mod Olympics are, literally, irrelevant, and nothing more than an expression of the sometimes sardonic sense of humor you overtime grow to adopt being in a position such as this.

They're deliberately absurd for the sake of being absurd. Treating them as anything other than absurd is... well, absurd.
Last edited by Kyrusia on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

The Pharcyde
Attaché

Founded: Feb 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Pharcyde » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:30 pm

The Notorious Mad Jack wrote:
Springfeal wrote:Personally, I know someone on this site that is DOS (not saying who, I'm not a snitch), but has been back for almost a year now, has made thousands of forum posts, made several threads, and even interacted with the mods several times without being discovered.

Pretty sure you knowing and not telling the mods means you'd be guilty of helping a DOS player access the site.

Is that against the rules?
Fire Republic of Pharcyde
Огненная Република Фарсайда
The Pharcyde (II Wiki · Map · Interpol)

Springfeal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Springfeal wrote:

Pfft, yeah right. Pull the other one, it has bells on it.

Okay, fine. I am letting that one go for now, but my original point about DOS still stands.

Springfeal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:32 pm

The Pharcyde wrote:
The Notorious Mad Jack wrote:Pretty sure you knowing and not telling the mods means you'd be guilty of helping a DOS player access the site.

There is nothing in the rules that forces us to inform the mods of rule breaking. Nor are we actually required to lend them any assistance.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:33 pm

The Pharcyde wrote:
The Notorious Mad Jack wrote:Pretty sure you knowing and not telling the mods means you'd be guilty of helping a DOS player access the site.

Simply knowing another player is a returning DOS and not reporting them isn't against the rules; assisting a DOS in evading their ban in some manner, however, is.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:36 pm

Springfeal wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Pfft, yeah right. Pull the other one, it has bells on it.

Okay, fine. I am letting that one go for now, but my original point about DOS still stands.

Dude, honestly? You make an entirely false statement you pulled out of the ether, get called out on it from all sides about how how ridiculous it is, and expect anyone to take the rest of your statements seriously?

Springfeal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:36 pm

Kyrusia wrote:Lol. The Mod Olympics.

Edit: I suppose I should actually make a comment more than that...

So I'll say this: Moderating isn't fun. At all. It's pretty much the opposite of "joyful" and "entertaining." If anything, it's prone to increasing misanthropy and cynicism, as a few studies involving community management and online moderation have shown. The Mod Olympics are, literally, irrelevant, and nothing more than an expression of the sometimes sardonic sense of humor you overtime grow to adopt being a position such as this.

They're deliberately absurd for the sake of being absurd. Treating them as anything other than absurd is... well, absurd.

There have been actual studies on this?

Springfeal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Springfeal wrote:

Dude, honestly? You make an entirely false statement you pulled out of the ether, get called out on it from all sides about how how ridiculous it is, and expect anyone to take the rest of your statements seriously?

Yeah, yeah. Have fun trying to find my DOS friend. And enjoy any possible backlash you receive if you DEAT him as he is one of my more well-known (and generally well-liked) posters.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:47 pm

Springfeal wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Dude, honestly? You make an entirely false statement you pulled out of the ether, get called out on it from all sides about how how ridiculous it is, and expect anyone to take the rest of your statements seriously?

Yeah, yeah. Have fun trying to find my DOS friend. And enjoy any possible backlash you receive if you DEAT him as he is one of my more well-known (and generally well-liked) posters.

I'm pretty sure they're likely to go looking at who associates with you now, who has been around for 'nearly a year,' and who posts regularly to see who it is.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Springfeal wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Dude, honestly? You make an entirely false statement you pulled out of the ether, get called out on it from all sides about how how ridiculous it is, and expect anyone to take the rest of your statements seriously?

Your friend being here is against the rules of this site. We do not particularly care if others have issues with us enforcing those rules.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Springfeal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:51 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Springfeal wrote:

I'm pretty sure they're likely to go looking at who associates with you now, who has been around for 'nearly a year,' and who posts regularly to see who it is.

Well, him and I only talk offsite (as a precaution). The mods can search my telegrams all they want. He's not there :)

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:51 pm

Springfeal wrote:

Promoted? I think masochism is the primary trait required for "promotion".

Edit: while I dont presume to speak for the moderation team, my guess on the dislike of rules lawyers is they are not lawyers. They didnt sign up to discuss arcane subtle points of precedent. They just want folks to stop being dicks. (Looking at my warning level, We just disagree with what that requires)
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation