NATION

PASSWORD

[Suggestion] Communication TD: Dispatch enhancements

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[Suggestion] Communication TD: Dispatch enhancements

Postby Esternial » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:57 am

I forgot to read the fine print in the main TD thread, so a bit late to make this.

It could be nice to expand a bit further on Dispatches, with a focus on organization. Currently, if you go to a Nation's Dispatches page you have a flat list of (something) a large volume of dispatches that appear to be sorted by creation date.

Below some suggestions to add onto the Dispatches:

1/ Sub-dispatches that can be created under dispatches.

For example, say you want to create a "Factbook" dispatch and organize discrete subjects/information in separate pages underneath a main page.

If someone then navigates the "dispatches" page and happen upon your factbook, they can expand a list of sub-dispatches if they so choose. See below for a visual example of a dispatch that would have sub-dispatches.

Charter of Snazzy
Bulletin → Policy
by ImageThe Alpaca Conglomerate of Esternial. 3 years 24 days ago. 16 reads.
> Click to expand sub-dispatches

This could also allow users to have some form of "version control", allowing them to nest older version of a dispatch under said dispatch.

2/ Adding "labels" to Dispatches.

These labels would allow search queries based on that label, so that users to provide a set of Dispatches to others by linking them to Dispatches created by them & labelled with a particular label.

for example:
Code: Select all
hhttps://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatches/category=1/nation=esternial&label=industry

Above URL would link users to all (and only) my Factbook pages about Esternial's industry.

3/ Allow users to assign "priority" (i.e. sticky) to dispatches.
Using this, users can ensure certain Dispatches - regardless of age - appear on top when you filter dispatches for a particular nation.

It wouldn't behave like a label, as it wouldn't exclude non-labelled entires, nor would it be suitable as a "sort" filter considering it's a boolean.

Having priority pages listed on top would be the default behavior when someone navigates to a nation's page and then clicks on the Dispatches button - allowing nation's to choose what is shown to the visitor.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:01 am

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=est ... tegory=110

So something like this - except custom, for dispatches as well, and you could have multiple in each sort for the labels?

All sound good, like, not must haves for me, but kinda cool QoL features.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:50 am

Flanderlion wrote:https://www.nationstates.net/nation=esternial/detail=factbook/subcategory=110

So something like this - except custom, for dispatches as well, and you could have multiple in each sort for the labels?

All sound good, like, not must haves for me, but kinda cool QoL features.

Indeed, so I imagine under my "Overview of regions" factbook page, I could then have a page per region going into further detail.
A basic two-level hierarchy would be nice. More could be even nicer, if feasible.

The labels I had conceived with Dispatches in mind mainly, as there you are querying the "global" dispatch directory. The "Factbook" sis already filtered for the individual player's content and more structured than just a flat list.

As you said, they're all some QoL features that could be thrown in the backlog in case anyone ever gets bored.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:54 am

Chiming in to say that I support this too, and it makes it neater for those who has A LOT of dispatches (mostly RPers and region admin nations).
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Wormfodder Delivery
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Wormfodder Delivery » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:59 am

Also support it, could be really cool for my website and the birdboxes
NS Stats do not count, unless it is funny.
The Transcripts canonically do not exist and merely serve to make the garbled Wormsspeak readable.
Canon Policies.
Open to RP, send me Telegrams, Pretty much compatible with everything.
Powerlevel of 4,5 according to this classification
Industrial Age Schizotech and Proud
Zero tolerance for godmodders and no effortposters are nearing that too.
The Wormfodder Delivery Service, bringing Wormfodder to you, whereever you are.
I also am currently making a pocket guide on how to have a good time on F7, as well one on (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻.
Ask the many questions us here, though answers aren't guaranteed~
Get the latest, hottest news at WDSNN, the best News source of the next dimension!
It is now safe to keep playing.

Return to Technical