NATION

PASSWORD

SVG format for flags

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

SVG format for flags

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:25 am

I think it would be really nice if I could upload a custom flag in a vector format like SVG, since a lot of flags and other works of graphic design use vector graphics. I think it might please some of the more avid vexillologists of this site.

I even will sometimes vectorize my flags as doing so fixes some mistakes I often make while editing my flag.

Based on my limited technical knowledge, I would guess that the changes needed are not particularly major, as the HTML img tag can be used to embed SVGs the same as any other image.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:22 pm

I do look into this from time to time, because it would be really nice. There are some obstacles, though, because of incompatible CSS support with SVG vs PNG/JPEG, as well as a few issues around how we currently handle images in the uploader (e.g. testing image size, adding ripple effects). So it's doable but not simple.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:26 pm

[violet] wrote:I do look into this from time to time, because it would be really nice. There are some obstacles, though, because of incompatible CSS support with SVG vs PNG/JPEG, as well as a few issues around how we currently handle images in the uploader (e.g. testing image size, adding ripple effects). So it's doable but not simple.

On a side note, I would like to take this time to ask something, I hope I am not hijacking the topic.

... Does both the gameside and forumside recognise APNGs / Animated PNGs? Basically the GIF for PNGs, or something to that effect. I would love to try that out if it works, or if I can pull a higher resolution for a smaller file size.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Recuecn
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Recuecn » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:21 am

gotta cheat the bank and Just choose the first one both use APNG flags (something I know from gif collecting, where apng flags make my work a lot harder :P).
rəswɛsən

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:28 am

Recuecn wrote:gotta cheat the bank and Just choose the first one both use APNG flags (something I know from gif collecting, where apng flags make my work a lot harder :P).

The latter looks so much clearer and better than my GIF flag. I would say it's because of the length of the video that I used, so... I might check it again soon. ^^;
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:59 am

Valentine Z wrote:
Recuecn wrote:gotta cheat the bank and Just choose the first one both use APNG flags (something I know from gif collecting, where apng flags make my work a lot harder :P).

The latter looks so much clearer and better than my GIF flag. I would say it's because of the length of the video that I used, so... I might check it again soon. ^^;

I think your issue might be related to the fact that GIFs are limited to 256-color palettes. Because of this, it would be difficult to create a GIF that has a lot of colors, is more than a few seconds long, and is in a size that NationStates will accept.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:17 am

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:The latter looks so much clearer and better than my GIF flag. I would say it's because of the length of the video that I used, so... I might check it again soon. ^^;

I think your issue might be related to the fact that GIFs are limited to 256-color palettes. Because of this, it would be difficult to create a GIF that has a lot of colors, is more than a few seconds long, and is in a size that NationStates will accept.

I need to compress the number of palettes, then. Thankfully, my GIF flag doesn't have gradients and instead are solid colors.

(Sorry if I am derailing the topic. SVG flags would be awesome, all things considered. Infinite zooming. Unlimited power.)
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical