NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Giving Citizen's Arrest A Rest

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Japanese Schoolgirls
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 20, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[DRAFT] Giving Citizen's Arrest A Rest

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:12 am

I did the necessary search and unless I missed it, the idea of legalizing citizen's arrest hasn't been an issue yet so here's my take on it.

[TITLE] Giving Citizen's Arrest A Rest

[DESCRIPTION]After a viral video showing pranksters jam their gum wrappers on the nooks of park benches, all types of people are now discussing the feasibility of letting citizens apprehend litterbugs.

[VALIDITY] none

[OPTION 1]"We just want to help the police, that’s all!”, screams part-time nanny @@RANDOMNAME@@. “The police don't have their eyes on every single inch of @@NAME@@ all the time so it is about time we patriotic @@DEMONYM@@ (plural) play our part in upholding the law when the authorities aren’t around. It’s not that bad of an idea if you think about it.”
[EFFECT 1] People who cut in lines are often detained.

[OPTION 2] “How about you just improve our ability to enforce the law?”, a cyclist screeches to a halt just in front of you. “For example, if you give the police more money, they would be well-equipped to scour the entirety of @@NAME@@ for criminals trying to operate under the radar. There’s no need to get the John Does and Jane Smiths to do their work for them.”
[EFFECT 2] Compilation videos of policemen chasing jaywalkers on hoverboards are plentiful.

[OPTION 3]“Litterbugs! Bahumbug!”, exclaims local gum tycoon @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ pops a piece of gum into @@HIS@@ mouth. “Why even bother trying to punish people when you can reward them for behaving. Just give a tax cut for those who promise to never be naughty young'uns!”
[EFFECT 3] Those on trial are often seen crossing their fingers.
Last edited by Japanese Schoolgirls on Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
유애나 | YOU & I

| Community is my name and community-building is my game |

A Senator of the Pacific - internal affairs

Contact me for any matters regarding the Pacific and/or the NPO

Japanese Schoolgirls
Bureaucrat

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:46 am

DRAFT 2

[TITLE] Giving Citizen's Arrest A Rest

[DESCRIPTION] After a surveillance video of a man shoplifting whilst the law wasn't looking became viral, all types of people are now discussing the feasibility of legalizing citizen’s arrests.

[option]“It’s not that the police are inefficient”, screams part-time nanny @@RANDOMNAME@@. “We just can’t expect them to cover every single inch of @@NAME@@ 24/7. It’s about time for us patriotic @@DENONYM@@ (plural) to do our part and apprehend criminals … well, at least the litterbugs and loitering young’uns.”
[effect] People who cut in lines are often dogpiled by patriots.

[option]“How about you just leave them criminals to us?”, police officer @@RANDOMNAME@@ exclaimed as he handed you a ticket. “With more funding, we would be well-equipped to scour the entirety of the nation for criminals trying to evade our gaze. There’s no need to get our folks in any more danger by trying to be pretend-cops.”
[effect] Patrolmen walk the beat with their Beats with Mr. Drew.

[option]“You’re wasting money!”, exclaims local gum tycoon @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ pops a piece of gum into @@HIS@@ mouth. “Why must you try so hard in incarcerating when you can always prevent criminals from ever developing? Reward good and law-abiding citizens with a tax cut and I promise you … people will start behaving well.”
[effect] Law-abiding citizens are rolling in dough.
유애나 | YOU & I

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:55 pm

There's issues on vigilantism, which is a little different to citizen's arrest, but the approach you've taken doesn't play up that difference. Essentially, 271 asks if its okay for private individuals to take the law into their own hands.

I suggest proceed, but be sure to make it clear that this issue is about this being a legally approved process with safeguards in place. A little research on real world countries that allow citizen's arrests and the safeguards they employ might give this issue more depth.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Validity, must have legalised gum
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions. This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian. Date of Birth: 1 October 1995
Why stylised as "rePublic"
16 Published Issues and 1 WA resolution
Please sign my petition to help me achieve justice (real life)
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:03 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Validity, must have legalised gum

This is not tracked.

Japanese Schoolgirls
Bureaucrat

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:34 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:There's issues on vigilantism, which is a little different to citizen's arrest, but the approach you've taken doesn't play up that difference. Essentially, 271 asks if its okay for private individuals to take the law into their own hands.

I suggest proceed, but be sure to make it clear that this issue is about this being a legally approved process with safeguards in place. A little research on real world countries that allow citizen's arrests and the safeguards they employ might give this issue more depth.

I'll be sure to do the necessary research for this.

Australian rePublic wrote:Validity, must have legalised gum

Yumm~ gum~ Unless you meant gun, which I think is not too necessary for making a citizen's arrest. At least from what I read so far
유애나 | YOU & I

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:02 am

No, he means gum. There's an issue which bans gum, but it's not a tracked policy.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?