NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Giving Citizen's Arrest A Rest

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Japanese Schoolgirls
Attaché

Founded: Aug 20, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[DRAFT] Giving Citizen's Arrest A Rest

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:12 am

I did the necessary search and unless I missed it, the idea of legalizing citizen's arrest hasn't been an issue yet so here's my take on it.

[TITLE] Giving Citizen's Arrest A Rest

[DESCRIPTION]After a viral video showing pranksters jam their gum wrappers on the nooks of park benches, all types of people are now discussing the feasibility of letting citizens apprehend litterbugs.

[VALIDITY] none

[OPTION 1]"We just want to help the police, that’s all!”, screams part-time nanny @@RANDOMNAME@@. “The police don't have their eyes on every single inch of @@NAME@@ all the time so it is about time we patriotic @@DEMONYM@@ (plural) play our part in upholding the law when the authorities aren’t around. It’s not that bad of an idea if you think about it.”
[EFFECT 1] People who cut in lines are often detained.

[OPTION 2] “How about you just improve our ability to enforce the law?”, a cyclist screeches to a halt just in front of you. “For example, if you give the police more money, they would be well-equipped to scour the entirety of @@NAME@@ for criminals trying to operate under the radar. There’s no need to get the John Does and Jane Smiths to do their work for them.”
[EFFECT 2] Compilation videos of policemen chasing jaywalkers on hoverboards are plentiful.

[OPTION 3]“Litterbugs! Bahumbug!”, exclaims local gum tycoon @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ pops a piece of gum into @@HIS@@ mouth. “Why even bother trying to punish people when you can reward them for behaving. Just give a tax cut for those who promise to never be naughty young'uns!”
[EFFECT 3] Those on trial are often seen crossing their fingers.
Last edited by Japanese Schoolgirls on Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
유애나 | YOU & I

| Community is my name and community-building is my game |

H A L L Y U S A N C T U A R Y

Japanese Schoolgirls
Attaché

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:46 am

DRAFT 2

[DESCRIPTION] After a surveillance video of a man shoplifting whilst the law wasn't looking became viral, all types of people are now discussing the feasibility of legalizing citizen’s arrests.

[option]“It’s not that the police are inefficient”, screams part-time nanny @@RANDOMNAME@@. “We just can’t expect them to cover every single inch of @@NAME@@ 24/7. It’s about time for us patriotic @@DENONYM@@ (plural) to do our part and apprehend criminals … well, at least the litterbugs and loitering young’uns.”
[effect] People who cut in lines are often dogpiled by patriots.

[option]“How about you just leave them criminals to us?”, police officer @@RANDOMNAME@@ exclaimed as he handed you a ticket. “With more funding, we would be well-equipped to scour the entirety of the nation for criminals trying to evade our gaze. There’s no need to get our folks in any more danger by trying to be pretend-cops.”
[effect] Patrolmen walk the beat with their Beats with Mr. Drew.

[option]“You’re wasting money!”, exclaims local gum tycoon @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ pops a piece of gum into @@HIS@@ mouth. “Why must you try so hard in incarcerating when you can always prevent criminals from ever developing? Reward good and law-abiding citizens with a tax cut and I promise you … people will start behaving well.”
[effect] Law-abiding citizens are rolling in dough.
유애나 | YOU & I

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:55 pm

There's issues on vigilantism, which is a little different to citizen's arrest, but the approach you've taken doesn't play up that difference. Essentially, 271 asks if its okay for private individuals to take the law into their own hands.

I suggest proceed, but be sure to make it clear that this issue is about this being a legally approved process with safeguards in place. A little research on real world countries that allow citizen's arrests and the safeguards they employ might give this issue more depth.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Validity, must have legalised gum
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:03 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Validity, must have legalised gum

This is not tracked.

Japanese Schoolgirls
Attaché

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:34 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:There's issues on vigilantism, which is a little different to citizen's arrest, but the approach you've taken doesn't play up that difference. Essentially, 271 asks if its okay for private individuals to take the law into their own hands.

I suggest proceed, but be sure to make it clear that this issue is about this being a legally approved process with safeguards in place. A little research on real world countries that allow citizen's arrests and the safeguards they employ might give this issue more depth.

I'll be sure to do the necessary research for this.

Australian rePublic wrote:Validity, must have legalised gum

Yumm~ gum~ Unless you meant gun, which I think is not too necessary for making a citizen's arrest. At least from what I read so far
유애나 | YOU & I

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:02 am

No, he means gum. There's an issue which bans gum, but it's not a tracked policy.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:45 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:No, he means gum. There's an issue which bans gum, but it's not a tracked policy.

Right, right, carry on
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Japanese Schoolgirls
Attaché

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:34 pm

DRAFT 3

[VALIDITY] NONE

[DESCRIPTION] After a viral video showing pranksters jam their gum wrappers on the nooks of park benches while the law wasn’t looking, all types of people are now discussing the feasibility of legalizing citizen’s arrests.

[OPTION1]“How about you just let us do our jobs better?”, junior police officer @@RANDOMNAME@@ sighs as @@SHE@@ repairs his hand-me-down patrol torchlight. “With more funding, we definitely could scour the entirety of the nation for criminals. No stones will be left unturned if we just had the resources to turn them to begin with.”
[EFFECT1]Police cars now go from zero to a hundred in five seconds.

[OPTION2]"I agree that the police needs help but pumping money won’t be the solution!”, screeches part-time nanny @@RANDOMNAME@@. @@HE@@ continues, “Get the proper departments set up, the proper channels established and pass the laws that allow us @@DEMONYM@@ to legally and rightly apprehend the wrongdoers! We just need bureaucracy to ensure all arrests are done with due process. The crime rate will go down when everyone’s capable of arresting each other!”
[EFFECT2] People who cut in lines are dogpiled by patriotic citizens.

[OPTION3]“Let’s not be loopy-hoopy now.”, down-to-earth singer @@RANDOMNAME@@ utters. “Instead of focusing on catching the criminals, how about we nip it in the bud and prevent criminals from ever developing? Just … I don’t know, give people who behave a tax cut or something?”
[EFFECT3] Nice kids receive a bursary on Christmas.
유애나 | YOU & I

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:55 am

Japanese Schoolgirls wrote:DRAFT 3

[VALIDITY] NONE

[DESCRIPTION] After a viral video showing pranksters jam their gum wrappers on the nooks of park benches while the law wasn’t looking, all types of people are now discussing the feasibility of legalizing citizen’s arrests.

[OPTION1]“How about you just let us do our jobs better?”, junior police officer @@RANDOMNAME@@ sighs as @@SHE@@ repairs his hand-me-down patrol torchlight. “With more funding, we definitely could scour the entirety of the nation for criminals. No stones will be left unturned if we just had the resources to turn them to begin with.”

[OPTION2]"I agree that the police needs help but pumping money won’t be the solution!”, screeches part-time nanny @@RANDOMNAME@@. @@HE@@ continues, “Get the proper departments set up, the proper channels established and pass the laws that allow us @@DEMONYM@@ to legally and rightly apprehend the wrongdoers! We just need bureaucracy to ensure all arrests are done with due process. The crime rate will go down when everyone’s capable of arresting each other!”

[OPTION3]“Let’s not be loopy-hoopy now.”, down-to-earth singer @@RANDOMNAME@@ utters. “Instead of focusing on catching the criminals, how about we nip it in the bud and prevent criminals from ever developing? Just … I don’t know, give people who behave a tax cut or something?”
[EFFECT3] Nice kids receive a bursary on Christmas.

Okay, small technical details first. Straighten the smart quote marks, take the capitals and the full stops of the effect lines.
Then there's the bigger details -- you can't mention cars in an effect line as some nations have banned cars.

But the biggest flaw here is the narrative structure. You've basically got.

Whimsical incident. Question: should citizens arrests be allowed?
1) No, fund the police more instead.
2) Yes.
3) Prevent crime instead.

Option 3 doesn't really address the core question. I think maybe replace it with some crazy option that DOES answer the question.

For example, an option that says that arrests should be allowed, "but only if a quorum of 10 or more citizens can declare it is necessary, and if there's a 100 or more citizens in agreement, then let them dispense on-the-spot justice too" and then deliver an effect line of "lynch mobs are legal".
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Japanese Schoolgirls
Attaché

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:13 am

[VALIDITY] NONE

[OPTION3]“Leaving it to the citizens sure can make it ... so subjective.", utters court stenographer @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ types away. "The police has the law to refer to but a single John Doe won't know the difference between an assault and a light spanking so how about we resort to a hivemind mentality of sorts ... if enough people thinks that an act they're witnessing is a crime then they are more than free to legally apprehend the criminal."
[EFFECT3] Lynch mobs are legal.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Japanese Schoolgirls wrote:DRAFT 3
Option 3 doesn't really address the core question. I think maybe replace it with some crazy option that DOES answer the question.

For example, an option that says that arrests should be allowed, "but only if a quorum of 10 or more citizens can declare it is necessary, and if there's a 100 or more citizens in agreement, then let them dispense on-the-spot justice too" and then deliver an effect line of "lynch mobs are legal".

I have inputted the following feedback! I think it would also make sense in the NS universe if a certain quota had to be met before justice is dispensed since ... it's insane like that.
유애나 | YOU & I

Japanese Schoolgirls
Attaché

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:27 am

[VALIDITY] NONE

[OPTION1]"How about you just let us do our jobs better?", junior police officer @@RANDOMNAME@@ sighs as @@SHE@@ repairs his hand-me-down patrol torchlight. "With more funding, we definitely could scour the entirety of the nation for criminals. No stones will be left unturned if we just had the resources to turn them to begin with."

[OPTION2]"I agree that the police needs help but pumping money won’t be the solution!", screeches part-time nanny @@RANDOMNAME@@. @@HE@@ continues, "Get the proper departments set up, the proper channels established and pass the laws that allow us @@DEMONYM@@ to legally and rightly apprehend the wrongdoers! We just need bureaucracy to ensure all arrests are done with due process. The crime rate will go down when everyone’s capable of arresting each other!”

[OPTION3]"Everyone has their own perceptions.", utters court stenographer @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ types away. "The police has the law to refer but civilians may not think of heinous acts as black and white so let's get our John Smiths and Jane Does to apprehend a criminal only if a consensus is made between the witnesses to said act."

EDIT: Made the distinction in OPTION3 clearer such that there must be some sort of vote before a criminal is apprehended.
Last edited by Japanese Schoolgirls on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
유애나 | YOU & I

Japanese Schoolgirls
Attaché

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:15 am

[OPTION3]"Everyone has their own perceptions.", utters court stenographer @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ types away. "The police has the law to refer but civilians may not think of heinous acts as black and white so let's get our John Smiths and Jane Does to apprehend a criminal only if a consensus is made between the witnesses to said act."

I was wondering if this option clearly shows that the citizen-arrest system to be implemented requires some sort of democracy or hive-minding on a small scale before justice can be dispensed onto wrongdoer. I appreciate any feedback on how to improve the phrasing/wording.

EDIT: I'm trying to capture the essence of the aforementioned way to fix the narrative of this issue.
Last edited by Japanese Schoolgirls on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
유애나 | YOU & I

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:41 am

Japanese Schoolgirls wrote:[OPTION3]"Everyone has their own perceptions.", utters court stenographer @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ types away.

I think the speaker for option 3 shouldn't be a court stenographer because some nations have the 'no judiciary' policy. Perhaps a nosy member of the public would be better?

Japanese Schoolgirls wrote:[OPTION3]"Everyone has their own perceptions.", utters court stenographer @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ types away. "The police has the law to refer but civilians may not think of heinous acts as black and white so let's get our John Smiths and Jane Does to apprehend a criminal only if a consensus is made between the witnesses to said act."

I was wondering if this option clearly shows that the citizen-arrest system to be implemented requires some sort of democracy or hive-minding on a small scale before justice can be dispensed onto wrongdoer. I appreciate any feedback on how to improve the phrasing/wording.

EDIT: I'm trying to capture the essence of the aforementioned way to fix the narrative of this issue.

There could only be one witness to an act, so perhaps it would show the democracy/hive-minding aspect better if there was a certain number of witnesses required.

In terms of phrasing/wording, I don't know if this is an improvement, but personally I would say something like:
‘While I agree that citizen’s arrests should be allowed, there needs to be some checks and balances’ says random person. ‘Many laws can be broadly interpreted and citizens will make arrests based on their own morality. I propose citizens should only make an arrest… (insert what Candlewhisper Archive said about quorum)
Last edited by Fontenais on Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Japanese Schoolgirls
Attaché

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:19 am

[VALIDITY] NONE

[OPTION1]"How about you just let us do our jobs better?", junior police officer @@RANDOMNAME@@ sighs as @@SHE@@ repairs his hand-me-down patrol torchlight. "With more funding, we definitely could scour the entirety of the nation for criminals. No stones will be left unturned if we just had the resources to turn them to begin with."

[OPTION2]"I agree that the police needs help but pumping money won’t be the solution!", screeches part-time nanny @@RANDOMNAME@@. @@HE@@ continues, "Get the proper departments set up, the proper channels established and pass the laws that allow us @@DEMONYM@@ to legally and rightly apprehend the wrongdoers! We just need bureaucracy to ensure all arrests are done with due process. The crime rate will go down when everyone’s capable of arresting each other!”

[OPTION3]"I do believe that the concept of citizen's arrest is beneficial.", utters rambunctious busker @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ types away. "But leaving jurisdiction to a sole individual leaves to subjective interpretation of justice and law. Maybe, a citizen's arrest can only be performed once a quorum of ten people deems it necessary to apprehend the criminal. Heck, the more the merrier. If there are hundreds of citizens that are in agreement, we should just let them dispense justice on-the-spot. That'll balance the scales of justice!"

EDIT : Amended with regards to Candlewhisper Archive's and Fontenais' advices.
유애나 | YOU & I

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:15 pm

Japanese Schoolgirls wrote:[TITLE] Giving Citizen's Arrest A Rest

I'm not sure about the title. Giving something a rest means to stop doing it, but this issue is about whether we should start doing something (legalising citizen's arrests)
Japanese Schoolgirls wrote:[VALIDITY] NONE

About the validity, my understanding is that a viral video is one that is shared over the internet. I think this would not be valid for nations with the 'no internet' policy, and possibly the 'no computers' policy
Japanese Schoolgirls wrote:[OPTION1]

Just a reminder that Candlewhisper Archive said that some nations have the 'no cars' policy

Japanese Schoolgirls wrote:[OPTION2]..."Get the proper departments set up, the proper channels established and pass the laws that allow us @@DEMONYM@@ to legally and rightly apprehend the wrongdoers! We just need bureaucracy to ensure all arrests are done with due process..."

I think you can cut out "get the proper departments set up, the proper channels established and pass the laws that" for being redundant because of course that will happen
And the sentence 'we just need bureaucracy to ensure all arrests are done with due process' seems a bit contradictory. This option is about letting people arrest other people whenever they feel like it, but bureaucracy generally refers to complex administrative processes.
Last edited by Fontenais on Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Japanese Schoolgirls
Attaché

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:28 pm

[TITLE] Coughing Up The Cuffs For Citizens

[VALIDITY] NONE

[DESCRIPTION] After noticing an influx of inconsiderate individuals jamming their gum wrappers on the nooks of park benches while the law wasn’t looking, all types of people are now discussing the feasibility of legalizing citizen’s arrests.

[EFFECT1] Patrolmen walk the beat with top-of-the-line torchlights.

[OPTION2]"I agree that the police needs help but pumping money won’t be the solution!", screeches part-time nanny @@RANDOMNAME@@. @@HE@@ continues, "Get this whole citizen's arrest thing started so us humble men and women can chip in to the efforts of keeping the streets safe. The crime rate will go down when everyone’s capable of arresting each other!”

[OPTION3]"I do believe that the concept of citizen's arrest is beneficial.", utters rambunctious busker @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ types away. "But leaving jurisdiction to a sole individual leaves to subjective interpretation of justice and law. Maybe, a citizen's arrest can only be performed once a quorum of ten people deems it necessary to apprehend the criminal. Heck, the more the merrier. If there are hundreds of citizens that are in agreement, we should just let them dispense justice on-the-spot. That'll balance the scales of justice!"

EDIT : Amended EFFECT 1, OPTION 2 and Title with Fontenais' feedback.
유애나 | YOU & I

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?