NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Hunter of Monsters

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Hunter of Monsters

Postby Ritterdorf » Tue May 08, 2018 7:58 am

Issue Name: Hunter of Monsters
Validity:
* The nation has no "ban video games" policy.
* Must not eat your national animal.
Draft Version: 1.7

----

ISSUE:

The latest installment of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter, a video game about hunting wild animals and stripping their body parts to make armor has become an overnight sensation throughout the entirety of @@REGION@@. However, a dispute has arisen around the fact that the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ @@ANIMAL@@ has been included as one of the prey. The controversial part? @@ANIMAL@@ can be seen getting horrifically brutalized on screen.

OPTION ONE:

"This is an outrage!" shouts Petra Newark, the leader of a prominent yet fanatical animal rights group. "How dare they murder our beloved @@ANIMAL@@? And no, I don't care that it's a so-called 'game', or that it's just 'monster hunting'. Whatever it may be, you should be passing legislation to ban these sadists from depicting hunting in any form of media, once and for all!"

Outcome: educational channels reporting on recent poaching scandals are regularly shut down

OPTION TWO:

"Now just hold on a second!" yells the CEO of Cap-Corn Ryoko Tsuchinoko, the controversial Maxtopian gaming company behind @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter, as he puts down his controller. "Hunting is an essential part of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ culture, and the satisfaction of living in the wild, hunting gigantic animals through co-operation,building oversized weapons and equipping fancy armor sets made of dinosaur pelts can never be replicated through any means - other than through our game, of course." He turns away, firing an arrow straight through the head of a @@ANIMAL@@ - "Bingo!"

Outcome: kids are often seen hunting @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ with oversized weapons made of @@ANIMAL@@ bones and skimpy armor made of torn bloody rags

OPTION THREE:

"Wait...you call that a real hunt?" says Reanu Keeves, a veteran hunter in @@NATION@@, smiling incredulously while petting a hunting dog sitting beside his seat. "How about you give more funding to us real hunters, so we can teach the others how to become REAL hunters. A hunter should be hunting beasts out in the wild, not tapping keys behind a computer screen! Now go grab a gun and shoot some @@ANIMAPLURAL@@ - as they say, you wouldn't get a well-done steak until you cook one yourself!"

Outcome: kids are brought up hunting @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ with real guns and eat them for a living

OPTION FOUR:

"What are you, a casual? Why stop here?" Says Hidetaka Mikazuki, the patriotic CEO of Foam Software, a gaming company rival of Cap-Corn. "We should be hunting the most dangerous game of all: humans. Picture a new gaming genre where you beat the absolute crap out of Maxtopians with real giant robots and unload hyper-realistic homing fireworks upon them to save our @@ANIMAL@@ from their dirty hands. Doesn't it sound better than killing those cute, fluffy @@ANIMALPLURAL@@? Of course, it might need a little bit of extra funding for us to actually build those giant robots. As for the title, let's call it Armored Gore, with an emphasis on blood - and guts. I promise, with a good funding from you, those filthy Maxtopian video game developers would pay for tarnishing the sacred image of our adorable @@ANIMAL@@! I can't wait... I can't wait..." He sits back down, his already terrifying grin becoming even more menacing.

Outcome: kids often pilot giant robots to obliterate foreign nations for entertainment

----

Update Note:
Version 1.7:
Reworded Hidetake Mikazuki's motivation.
Version 1.6:
Removing option 5 & option 6.
Version 1.5:
Rewriting based on Sosash's suggestion.
Version 1.4:
Grammar fix.
Version 1.3:
* Revised option descriptions.
Version 1.2:
* New Validity: must not eat your national animal.
Version 1.1:
* Changed effect format into small letters for the beginning and removing full stops.
* Added a hunting dog sitting alongside Reanu Keeves' seat.

Since I'm not familiar with any of the BB code and markup, if there's anything wrong, please, do tell me.

----

Archive:

Version 1.5
OPTION ONE:

"This is an outrage!" shouts Petra Newark, the leader of a prominent yet fanatical animal rights group. "How dare they murder our beloved @@ANIMAL@@? And no, I don't care that it's a so-called 'game', or that it's just 'monster hunting'. Whatever it may be, you should be passing legislation to ban these sadists from depicting hunting in any form of media, once and for all!"

Outcome: educational channels reporting on recent poaching scandals are regularly shut down

OPTION TWO:

"Now just hold on a second!" yells the CEO of Cap-Corn Ryoko Tsuchinoko, the gaming company behind @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter, as he puts down his controller. "Hunting is an essential part of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ culture, and the satisfaction of living in the wild, hunting gigantic animals through co-operation,building oversized weapons and equipping fancy armor sets made of dinosaur pelts can never be replicated through any means - other than through our game, of course." He turns away, firing an arrow straight through the head of a @@ANIMAL@@ - "Bingo!"

Outcome: kids are often seen hunting @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ with oversized weapons made of @@ANIMAL@@ bones and skimpy armor made of torn bloody rags

OPTION THREE:

"Wait...you call that a real hunt?" says Reanu Keeves, a veteran hunter in @@NATION@@, smiling incredulously while petting a hunting dog sitting beside his seat. "How about you give more funding to us real hunters, so we can teach the others how to become REAL hunters. A hunter should be hunting beasts out in the wild, not tapping keys behind a computer screen! Now go grab a gun and shoot some @@ANIMAPLURAL@@ - as they say, you wouldn't get a well-done steak until you cook one yourself!"

Outcome: kids are brought up hunting @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ with real guns and eat them for a living

OPTION FOUR:

"What are you, a casual? Why stop here?" Says Hidetaka Mikazuki, the CEO of Foam Software, a gaming company rival of Cap-Corn. "We should be hunting the most dangerous game of all: humans. Picture a new gaming genre where you beat the absolute crap out of Maxtopians with real giant robots and unload hyper-realistic homing fireworks upon them. Doesn't it sound better than killing those cute, fluffy @@ANIMALPLURAL@@? Of course, it might need a little bit of extra funding for us to actually build those giant robots. As for the title, let's call it Armored Gore, with an emphasis on blood - and guts." He sits back down, his already terrifying grin becoming even more menacing.

Outcome: kids often pilot giant robots to obliterate foreign nations for entertainment purposes

OPTION FIVE:

"Just ban video games and get over it", says Ray Thalos, the obnoxious headmaster who rules over @@DENONYM@@ High School with draconian rules. He marches diligently toward your desk, kicking down a sand castle and setting light to a bonfire made of dozens of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter game discs on his way. "What's with all these debates when burning down the whole thing can clear all these lengthy quests in one second? Without the undying curse of video games, kids would be more obedient, more intelligent, and much more healthier. Say, @@LEADER@@, now that's what we call a real hunt, isn't it?"

Outcome: kids mentioning the word game are kicked out of school months on end

OPTION SIX:

"Hmm - I think I have a better solution", says Sayori Uesaka, the head of Kitty Works - a very obscure, amoral indie game company with a somewhat questionable origin. "What you should be doing is to create a family-friendly game where NO ONE has to die. In my upcoming new entry, Kitty Paradise, you can raise kittens in a cafe, build up good relationships with them, and snuggle these cute critters on a warm bed. Intimacy is always the first step for compassion - and it sells. With a healthy supply of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ from you, we'll make a lovely game that even @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ can enjoy."

Outcome: kids are often seen playing questionable video games about getting intimate with @@ANIMALPLURAL@@

Version 1.4
Issue: The newest installment of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter, a video game about hunting wild animals and stripping their body parts to make armors has been a widespread hit throughout @@REGION@@. However, a controversy has arisen around the fact that the @@ANIMAL@@, @@NATION@@'s national animal, has been included as one of the preys, and @@ANIMAL@@ can be seen getting brutalized on screen.

[option]"This is outrageous!" shouts Petra Newark, the leader of a fanatical animal rights group. "How dare they murder our dear @@ANIMAL@@? I don't care that it's a so-called 'game', or 'monster hunting', or whatever they called, you should pass legislation to ban these sadists from depicting hunting in any media!"
[effect] newspapers reporting on a recent poaching scandal have been shutdown

[option] "Hold on a second!" Says Ryoko Tsuchinoko, the head of Cap-Corn, the video game company that made @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter. "Hunting is a part of @@DENONYM@@ culture, and the satisfaction of living in the wild, hunting gigantic animals through co-operation, oversized weapons and fancy armor sets made of dinosaur pelts can never be replicated through any means."
[effect] kids often hunt @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ with oversized weapons made of @@ANIMAL@@ bones and skimpy armors made of poorly-made bloody rags

[option] "You call that a real hunt?" Says Reanu Keeves, a veteran hunter in @@NATION@@ while petting a hunting dog sitting alongside his seat. "You should give more funding to we real hunters, and teach the others how to become a real hunter. A hunter should hunt beasts, not sitting behind a computer screen! Now grab a gun and shoot some @@ANIMAL@@, you wouldn't get a well-done steak until you cook one yourself!"
[effect] kids are trained to hunt @@ANIMAL@@ with real guns and eat them for a living

[option] "What are you, casual? Why stopping at here?" Says Hidetaka Mikazuki, the head of Foam Software, a rivaling video game company trying to compete against Cap-Corn. "We should hunt the most dangerous game: humans. Picture a new gaming genre where you beat the crap out of Maxtopians with real giant robots and unload hyper-realistic homing fireworks upon them. Doesn't it sound better than killing those cute, fluffy @@ANIMAL@@? Of course, it might need a little bit of extra fundings for us to actually build those giant robots. As for the title, let's call it Armored Gore, with an emphasis on blood and guts."
[effect] kids often pilot giant robots to obliterate foreign nations for entertainment

[option] "Just ban video games and get over it." Says Ray Thalos, the obnoxious headmaster who rules over @@DENONYM@@ High School with draconian rules, while kicking down a sand castle and setting up a bonfire made of dozens of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter game discs on it. "What's with all these debates when burning down the whole thing can clear all these lengthy quests in one second? Without the undying curse of video games, kids would be more obedient, more intelligent, and much more healthier. Now that's what we call a real hunt, isn't it?"
[effect] kids often get kicked out of school for saying the word "game"

[option] "I think I have a better solution." Says Sayori Uesaka, the head of Kitty Works, a very obscure, amoral indie game company with a questionable origin. "What you should do is to create a family-friendly game where no one has to die. In my upcoming new entry, Kitty Paradise, you can raise kittens in a cafe, build up a good relationship with them, and snuggle these cute critters on a warm bed. Intimacy is always the first step for compassion, and it sells. With a good funding from you, we'll make a lovely game that even @@ANIMAL@@ can enjoy it."
[effect] kids often play questionable video games about getting intimiate with @@ANIMAL@@ and they are getting far too intimate with wild animals
Last edited by Ritterdorf on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:42 am, edited 56 times in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Tue May 08, 2018 3:31 pm

Ooh, I like the premise of it being based on Monster Hunter.

Just a couple things based on my limited issue-writing experience:

- your effect lines must start with a small letter and there should be no full stops though commas are fine if put in quotation marks "like, this"

- Reanu Keeves part, perhaps have him pet a hunting dog sitting alongside his seat.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 09, 2018 1:31 pm

I like this issue and will definitely be monitoring, however the one thing that first and foremost strikes me is: why is everybody named? Who's being referenced in all of these names?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ritterdorf » Wed May 09, 2018 7:18 pm

Chan Island wrote:I like this issue and will definitely be monitoring, however the one thing that first and foremost strikes me is: why is everybody named? Who's being referenced in all of these names?

Petra Newkirk is named after Ingrid Newkirk, the head of PETA, and the name Petra is also a pun on PETA.

Ryoko Tsuchinoko is named after Ryozo Tsujimoto, the producer of Monster Hunter series, and Tsuchinoko is a Japanese mythical snake you can find in Monster Hunter World as an Endemic Life during the Kulve Taroth event.

Reanu Keeves is named after Keanu Reeves, the actor who played John Wick.

Hidetaka Mikazuki is named after Hidetaka Miyazaki, the head of From Software, who directed Armored Core, Bloodborne and Dark Souls. The surname Mikazuki is named after Mikazuki Augus from Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, to emphasise on his violent nature about obliterating everything with a giant robot.

Fred Fox is named after Fred Fuchs, a film director who often gets mocked for his punny name.

Sayori Uesaka is named after Sayori, the head of Neko Works and the producer of Nekopara, a visual novel about the main character opening a cafe and getting intimate with catgirls. The surname Uesaka comes from Sumire Uesaka, a Japanese voice actress who can speak in Russian.

So yeah, all these names are carefully chosen to pay a homage to them, people familiar with pop culture references will also have a good laugh upon receiving this issue.
Last edited by Ritterdorf on Mon May 14, 2018 8:44 am, edited 6 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 10, 2018 3:33 am

Validity, must not eat your national animal
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ritterdorf » Sun May 13, 2018 10:01 am

I'm still in doubt whether "Validity, must not eat your national animal" should be applied. Since even when the national animal is edible, there'd be at least one or two people opposing the thought of hunting the national animal no matter the circumstances.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun May 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Ritterdorf wrote:
Chan Island wrote:I like this issue and will definitely be monitoring, however the one thing that first and foremost strikes me is: why is everybody named? Who's being referenced in all of these names?

Petra Newkirk is named after Ingrid Newkirk, the head of PETA, and the name Petra is also a pun on PETA.

Ryoko Tsuchinoko is named after Ryozo Tsujimoto, the producer of Monster Hunter series, and Tsuchinoko is a Japanese mythical snake you can find in Monster Hunter World as an Endemic Life during the Kulve Taroth event.

Reanu Keeves is named after Keanu Reeves, the actor who played John Wick.

Hidetaka Mikazuki is named after Hidetaka Miyazaki, the head of From Software, who directed Armored Core, Bloodborne and Dark Souls. The surname Mikazuki is named after Mikazuki Augus from Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, to emphasise on his violent nature about obliterating everything with a giant robot.

Fred Fox is named after Fred Fuchs, a film director who often gets mocked for his punny name.

Sayori Uesaka is named after Sayori, the head of Neko Paradise and the producer of Nekopara, a visual novel about the main character opening a cafe and getting intimate with catgirls. The surname Uesaka comes from Sumire Uesaka, a Japanese voice actress who can speak in Russian.

So yeah, all these names are carefully chosen to pay a homage to them, people familiar with pop culture references will also have a good laugh upon receiving this issue.

Cool! Some of these may be a bit weak but they are justified so fair.

Anyway, to the issue.

The description is neat, but can be improved just a little bit more. I think you could clean up a few unclear aspects by writing something more along the lines of this:

Issue: The newest installment of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter, a video game about hunting wild animals and stripping their body parts to make armors has been a widespread hit throughout @@REGION@@. However, a controversy has arisen around the fact that the @@ANIMAL@@, @@NATION@@'s national animal, has been included as one of the preys.

I think this removes in particular ambiguity about how the animal was put in. In the old version, it was not clear if the animal was there from the start or if it was an expansion pack. Also, this version makes it more clear that this is a new game, while in the current version you made it seem possible that this game was a few years old.

Option 1 should specifically mention that @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ is getting hurt. Maybe have something more along the lines of "

[option]"This is outrageous!" shouts Petra Newark, the leader of a local fanatical animal rights group. "How dare they murder our dear @@ANIMALPLURAL@@? I don't care that it's a so-called 'game', you should pass legislation to ban these sadists from depicting hunting in any media!

I think this version is good because it conveys the outrage, gives much more detail about the viewpoint and yet is still short. The effect line is also spiced up to highlight a potential silly unintended consequence.

Option 2 is good, but the effect line can be just that little bit improved. I think this might be worth consideration: kids often hunt @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ with oversized weapons and poorly-made bloody rags

Option 3 needs a little bit of a review of grammar. Also, not sure about NS's stance on profanity, but 'crap' may be considered too much. Dunno. Otherwise, I love this option :lol:

Option 4 is good too, but Fred Fox is honestly the individual with the least character in this issue. Maybe have him do something silly that conveys this person's attitudes, like you could have him be kicking a sand castle or giving a student detention for laughing.

Option 5 will work only if Sayori Uesaka explicitly says something the lines of offering to make that said game on behalf of the government... only if they are given lots of money for the purpose. The effect line could be spiced up much more with something along the lines of children are getting far too intimate with wild animals

I do like this issue a lot. Hopefully these suggestions will help you out.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ritterdorf » Mon May 14, 2018 8:33 am

Just updated Option 2, 5 and 6. You've really helped a lot to make everything sounds better.

So far, the only thing left would be Option 4: whether the word "crap" is considered too vulgar for NationStates standards.
Last edited by Ritterdorf on Mon May 14, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Mon May 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Ritterdorf wrote:So far, the only thing left would be Option 4: whether the word "crap" is considered too vulgar for NationStates standards.

Issue #929 has 'crap' in it, so it would indicate that there is a possibility of the word getting past the censors.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon May 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Altmer Dominion wrote:
Ritterdorf wrote:So far, the only thing left would be Option 4: whether the word "crap" is considered too vulgar for NationStates standards.

Issue #929 has 'crap' in it, so it would indicate that there is a possibility of the word getting past the censors.

Looks like it's fair game then! Yay! :lol:

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue May 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Hey there! Some edits to be made here.
Validity:
* The nation has no "ban video games" policy.
* Must not eat your national animal.
Draft Version: 1.3
Issue: The newest installment of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter, a video game about hunting wild animals and stripping their body parts to make armors has been a widespread hit throughout @@REGION@@.
Think you need a comma after "armors", but that also doesn't seem right. Consider flipping the two parts of the compound sentence.
However, a controversy has arisen around the fact that the @@ANIMAL@@, @@NATION@@'s national animal, has been included as one of the preys
Comma, I think
and can be been getting brutalized on screen
Don't forget your period, and I think you meant "seen" not "been"

[option]"This is outrageous!" shouts Petra Newark, the leader of a local fanatical animal rights group
Too many words ending with "l" in a row. Make it just "fanatic"
"How dare they murder our dear @@ANIMALPLURAL@@? I don't care that it's a so-called 'game', or 'monster hunting', or whatever they called, you should pass legislation to ban these sadists from depicting hunting in any media!"
Except that the speaker doesn't seem to be able to keep clear what they mean. They keep switching between @@ANIMAL@@ and all animals in general. I suggest you pick one or the other. As the issue is mainly about the national animal, I suggest you make it that.

[option] "Hold on a second!" Says Ryoko Tsuchinoko, the head of Cap-Corn, the video game company who made
Not a person, use "that".
@@ANIMAL@@ Hunter. "Hunting is a part of @@DENONYM@@ culture, and the satisfaction of living in the wild, hunting gigantic animals through co-operation, oversized weapons and fancy armor sets made of dinosaur pelts can never be replicated through any means."
[effect] kids often hunt @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ with oversized weapons made of @@ANIMAL@@ bones and skimpy armors made of poorly-made bloody rags

[option] "You call that a real hunt?" Says Reanu Keeves, a veteran hunter in @@NATION@@ while petting a hunting dog sitting alongside his seat. "You should give more funding to we real hunters, and teach the others how to become a real hunter. A hunter should hunt beasts, not sitting behind a computer screen! Now grab a gun and shoot some @@ANIMALPLURAL@@."
[effect] kids are trained to hunt @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ with real guns and eat them for a living

[option] "What are you, casual? Why stopping at here?" Says Hidetaka Mikazuki, the head of Foam Software, a rivaling video game company trying to compete against Cap-Corn. "We should hunt the most dangerous game: humans. Picture a new gaming genre where you beat the crap out of Maxtopians with real giant robots and unload hyper-realistic homing fireworks upon them. Doesn't it sound better than killing those cute, fluffy @@ANIMALPLURAL@@? Of course, it might need a little bit of extra fundings for us to actually build those giant robots. As for the title, let's call it Armored Gore, with an emphasis on blood and guts."
[effect] kids often pilot giant robots to obliterate foreign nations for entertainment

[option] "Just ban video games and get over it." Says Fred Fox, the obnoxious headmaster of @@DENONYM@@ High School, while kicking down a sand castle and setting up a bonfire made of dozens of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter game discs on it. "What's with all these debates when banning the whole thing can clear all these lengthy quests in one second? Without the undying curse of video games, kids would be more obedient, more intelligent, and much more healthier. Now that's what we call a real hunt, isn't it?"
[effect] kids often get kicked out of school for saying the word "game"

[option] "I think I have a better solution." Says Sayori Uesaka, the head of Kitty Works, a very obscure, amoral indie game company with a questionable origin. "What you should do is to create a family-friendly game where no one has to die. In my upcoming new entry, Kitty Paradise, you can raise kittens in a cafe, build up a good relationship with them, and snuggle these cute critters on a warm bed. Intimacy is always the first step for compassion, and it sells. With a good funding from you, we'll make a lovely game that even @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ can enjoy it."
[effect] kids often play questionable video games about getting intimiate with @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ and they are getting far too intimate with wild animals
That seems like more options than necessary. Not sure if you need the last one, it seems just a bit off-topic.

Otherwise, this is a pretty good draft. Keep working on it.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ritterdorf » Tue May 15, 2018 10:06 pm

The last option is the obligatory "crazy option" and the antithesis of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter, where instead of supporting a game that allows you to hunt animals, you obliviously choose to fund a pornographic video game developer to make questionable games where you sleep with animals, as in legalising and openly supporting bestiality.

(P.S. To clarify, in the real Nekopara, you sleep with catgirls instead of literal cats, the latter would be too disturbing.)
Last edited by Ritterdorf on Wed May 16, 2018 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 16, 2018 4:37 am

Ritterdorf wrote:The last option is the obligatory "crazy option" and the antithesis of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter, where instead of supporting a game that allows you to hunt animals, you obliviously choose to fund a pornographic video game developer to make questionable games where you sleep with animals, as in legalising and openly supporting bestiality.

(P.S. To clarify, in the real Nekopara, you sleep with catgirls instead of literal cats, the latter would be too disturbing.)

I think the fact you had to clarify is ... bothersome.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed May 16, 2018 4:55 am

I thought that was the best option (in terms of writing quality, not necessarily in terms of desirability). It addresses the actual topic (people were complaining that video games glamorize violence against animals, so make video games less violent), and I like how it uses ambiguous language that might be interpreted as suggesting the game is inappropiately risque for the target audience, but could also easily just mean harmless platonic cuddling.

Clarifying the real-life game you're referencing kinda ruins the joke, really, but fortunately that's not in the draft and the joke doesn't depend on the reference. In fact, the reference doesn't even really work. According to TVTropes, it's pretty much just a linear visual novel with no story branching as far as I can tell, and so doesn't really deserve to be called a "game".

I'd worry more about improving, well, the entire rest of the issue.

Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ritterdorf » Sat May 19, 2018 10:43 am

The reference thing isn't really a big matter. If you are familiar with pop culture and you somehow get the in-jokes? That's a bonus. But even if you don't get it, nothing changes, and it doesn't matter.

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Mon May 21, 2018 2:01 pm

You need a Ray Thalos who drops plates somewhere. That and a pickle reference.
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ritterdorf » Tue May 22, 2018 2:25 am

Palos Heights wrote:You need a Ray Thalos who drops plates somewhere. That and a pickle reference.

Ray Thalos sounds like a much better name for the headmaster, much better than Fred Fox.

Sosash
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Ease of reading fixes

Postby Sosash » Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 am

Hi there - nice issue! I've looked through your draft and added improvements to all sections, to better help its readability and inject minor humour/improvements where needed. Have a good look:

TITLE:

The newest latest installment of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter, a video game about hunting wild animals and stripping their body parts to make armors armour has been a widespread hit become an overnight sensation throughout the entirety of @@REGION@@. However, a controversy dispute has arisen around the fact that the @@ANIMAL@@, @@NATION@@'s national animal @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ @@ANIMAL@@ has been included as one of the preys prey. The controversial part? @@ANIMAL@@ can be seen getting horrifically brutalized on screen.

OPTION ONE:

"This is outrageous an outrage!" shouts Petra Newark, the leader of a prominent yet fanatical animal rights group. "How dare they murder our dear beloved @@ANIMAL@@? And no, I don't care that it's a so-called 'game', or that it's just 'monster hunting' or whatever they called. Whatever it may be, you should pass be passing legislation to ban these sadists from depicting hunting in any form of media, once and for all!"

Outcome: newspapers educational channels reporting on a recent poaching scandals have been shutdown are regularly shut down

OPTION TWO:

"Now just hold on a second!" says yells the CEO of Cap-Corn Ryoko Tsuchinoko, the video game gaming company that made behind @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter, as he puts down his controller. "Hunting is a an essential part of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ culture, and the satisfaction of living in the wild, hunting gigantic animals through co-operation,building oversized weapons and equipping fancy armor sets made of dinosaur pelts can never be replicated through any means - other than through our game, of course." He turns away, firing an arrow straight through the head of a @@ANIMAL@@ - "Bingo!"

Outcome: kids often hunt are often seen hunting @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ with oversized weapons made of @@ANIMAL@@ bones and skimpy armor made of poorly-made torn bloody rags

OPTION THREE:

"Wait...you call that a real hunt?" says Reanu Keeves, a veteran hunter in @@NATION@@, smiling incredulously while petting a hunting dog sitting alongside beside his seat. "You should How about you give more funding to we us real hunters, and teach so we can teach the others how to become a real hunter REAL hunters. A hunter should hunt beasts be hunting beasts out in the wild, not sitting behind tapping keys behind a computer screen! Now go grab a gun and shoot some @@ANIMAL@@ @@ANIMAPLURAL@@ - as they say, you wouldn't get a well-done steak until you cook one yourself!"

Outcome: kids are trained to hunt brought up hunting @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ with real guns and eat them for a living

OPTION FOUR:

"What are you, a casual? Why stopping at stop here?" Says Hidetaka Mikazuki, the head CEO of Foam Software, arivalling video game company trying to compete gaming company rival of Cap-Corn. "We should hunt be hunting the most dangerous game of all: humans. Picture a new gaming genre where you beat the absolute crap out of Maxtopians with real giant robots and unload hyper-realistic homing fireworks upon them. Doesn't it sound better than killing those cute, fluffy@@ANIMAL@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@? Of course, it might need a little bit of extra fundings funding for us to actually build those giant robots. As for the title, let's call it Armored Gore, with an emphasis on blood and guts blood - and guts." He sits back down, his already terrifying grin becoming even more menacing.

Outcome: kids often pilot giant robots to obliterate foreign nations for entertainment purposes

OPTION FIVE:

"Just ban video games and get over it", says Ray Thalos, the obnoxious headmaster who rules over @@DENONYM@@ High School with draconian rules. while kicking down a sand castle and setting up a bonfire made of dozens of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter game discs on it He marches diligently toward your desk, kicking down a sand castle and setting light to a bonfire made of dozens of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter game discs on his way. "What's with all these debates when burning down the whole thing can clear all these lengthy quests in one second? Without the undying curse of video games, kids would be more obedient, more intelligent, and much more healthier. Now that's what we call a real hunt, isn't it? Say, @@LEADER@@, now that's what we call a real hunt, isn't it?"

Outcome: kids often get mentioning the word game are kicked out of school for saying the word "game" months on end

OPTION SIX:

"Hmm - I think I have a better solution", says Sayori Uesaka, the head of Kitty Works - a very obscure, amoral indie game company with a somewhat questionable origin. "What you should do be doing is create creating a family-friendly game where no one NO ONE has to die. In my upcoming new entry, Kitty Paradise, you can raise kittens in a cafe, build up a good relationship good relationships with them, and snuggle these cute critters on a warm bed. Intimacy is always the first step for compassion - and it sells. With a good funding healthy supply of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ from you, we'll make a lovely game that even @@ANIMAL@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ can enjoy it."

Outcome: kids often play are often seen playing questionable video games about getting intimate with @@ANIMAL@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ and they are getting far too intimate with wild animals
Last edited by Sosash on Tue May 22, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ritterdorf » Tue May 29, 2018 6:52 pm

Sosash wrote:Hi there - nice issue! I've looked through your draft and added improvements to all sections, to better help its readability and inject minor humour/improvements where needed. Have a good look:

TITLE:

The newest latest installment of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter, a video game about hunting wild animals and stripping their body parts to make armors armour has been a widespread hit become an overnight sensation throughout the entirety of @@REGION@@. However, a controversy dispute has arisen around the fact that the @@ANIMAL@@, @@NATION@@'s national animal @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ @@ANIMAL@@ has been included as one of the preys prey. The controversial part? @@ANIMAL@@ can be seen getting horrifically brutalized on screen.

OPTION ONE:

"This is outrageous an outrage!" shouts Petra Newark, the leader of a prominent yet fanatical animal rights group. "How dare they murder our dear beloved @@ANIMAL@@? And no, I don't care that it's a so-called 'game', or that it's just 'monster hunting' or whatever they called. Whatever it may be, you should pass be passing legislation to ban these sadists from depicting hunting in any form of media, once and for all!"

Outcome: newspapers educational channels reporting on a recent poaching scandals have been shutdown are regularly shut down

OPTION TWO:

"Now just hold on a second!" says yells the CEO of Cap-Corn Ryoko Tsuchinoko, the video game gaming company that made behind @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter, as he puts down his controller. "Hunting is a an essential part of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ culture, and the satisfaction of living in the wild, hunting gigantic animals through co-operation,building oversized weapons and equipping fancy armor sets made of dinosaur pelts can never be replicated through any means - other than through our game, of course." He turns away, firing an arrow straight through the head of a @@ANIMAL@@ - "Bingo!"

Outcome: kids often hunt are often seen hunting @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ with oversized weapons made of @@ANIMAL@@ bones and skimpy armor made of poorly-made torn bloody rags

OPTION THREE:

"Wait...you call that a real hunt?" says Reanu Keeves, a veteran hunter in @@NATION@@, smiling incredulously while petting a hunting dog sitting alongside beside his seat. "You should How about you give more funding to we us real hunters, and teach so we can teach the others how to become a real hunter REAL hunters. A hunter should hunt beasts be hunting beasts out in the wild, not sitting behind tapping keys behind a computer screen! Now go grab a gun and shoot some @@ANIMAL@@ @@ANIMAPLURAL@@ - as they say, you wouldn't get a well-done steak until you cook one yourself!"

Outcome: kids are trained to hunt brought up hunting @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ with real guns and eat them for a living

OPTION FOUR:

"What are you, a casual? Why stopping at stop here?" Says Hidetaka Mikazuki, the head CEO of Foam Software, arivalling video game company trying to compete gaming company rival of Cap-Corn. "We should hunt be hunting the most dangerous game of all: humans. Picture a new gaming genre where you beat the absolute crap out of Maxtopians with real giant robots and unload hyper-realistic homing fireworks upon them. Doesn't it sound better than killing those cute, fluffy@@ANIMAL@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@? Of course, it might need a little bit of extra fundings funding for us to actually build those giant robots. As for the title, let's call it Armored Gore, with an emphasis on blood and guts blood - and guts." He sits back down, his already terrifying grin becoming even more menacing.

OPTION FIVE:

"Just ban video games and get over it", says Ray Thalos, the obnoxious headmaster who rules over @@DENONYM@@ High School with draconian rules. while kicking down a sand castle and setting up a bonfire made of dozens of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter game discs on it He marches diligently toward your desk, kicking down a sand castle and setting light to a bonfire made of dozens of @@ANIMAL@@ Hunter game discs on his way. "What's with all these debates when burning down the whole thing can clear all these lengthy quests in one second? Without the undying curse of video games, kids would be more obedient, more intelligent, and much more healthier. Now that's what we call a real hunt, isn't it? Say, @@LEADER@@, now that's what we call a real hunt, isn't it?"

Outcome: kids often get mentioning the word game are kicked out of school for saying the word "game" months on end

OPTION SIX:

"Hmm - I think I have a better solution", says Sayori Uesaka, the head of Kitty Works - a very obscure, amoral indie game company with a somewhat questionable origin. "What you should do be doing is create creating a family-friendly game where no one NO ONE has to die. In my upcoming new entry, Kitty Paradise, you can raise kittens in a cafe, build up a good relationship good relationships with them, and snuggle these cute critters on a warm bed. Intimacy is always the first step for compassion - and it sells. With a good funding healthy supply of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ from you, we'll make a lovely game that even @@ANIMAL@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ can enjoy it."

Outcome: kids often play are often seen playing questionable video games about getting intimate with @@ANIMAL@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ and they are getting far too intimate with wild animals

Your suggestion really helps me a lot, thanks. I think we're almost complete and this issue could be ready for launch.

Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ritterdorf » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:51 am

It's been a month ever since I have suggested this issue. So, are we ready to launch this issue or do we have anything left to add?

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:49 pm

The issue is well written, however, you have six options that are all full length. Generally, the rule of thumb is the more options an issue has, the shorter they are. Six is quite a bit.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ritterdorf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:56 am

Version 1.6 update: removing option 5 & 6.

Surely, those options sound good, but due to the excessive option amounts and the text length limit, option 5 & 6 need to be gone.

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:51 am

It seems a bit redundant with issue no 188.
Big Sister has always been Big Sister

Author of issue 1201

Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ritterdorf » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:28 pm

The main concern of this issue is not about violent video games, but rather the image of your national animal being tarnished, as well as discussing about the act of hunting.

Also reworded Hidetake Mikazuki's motivation.
Last edited by Ritterdorf on Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:15 pm

Goodness gracious, this thing has been hanging out in the forum for over a month now. It's fine. Just submit it.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?