NATION

PASSWORD

Embassy of Funen | Spies Everywhere!

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:23 pm

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/babe The first, and far older definition, has always been in reference to a child. So I believe the answer would be "Earth" and the time of origin.... approximately the fourteenth century, a quick search reveals.

I intentionally did not comment on the accusations themselves before :P While I'm inclined to believe Funen is entirely right here, due to personal contacts there if nothing else, I also think Neph knows what he's doing here, even if that is starting a fight over trumped up charges. Regions thrive against a common enemy, no? Perhaps he knows exactly what he's doing? I shall reserve judgement.
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Erigia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Erigia » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:40 pm

Dieterus wrote:
A Brief Foreign Update

Embassy construction with Auralia began a little over 24 hours ago after its founder requested one with Funen. Since then, as announced in his regional embassy thread here, Nephmir has issued a declaration of war against The West Pacific. After a quick discussion among High Council members, Funen has made the decision to abort construction of embassies and terminate all relations with Auralia. Not only is Nephmir's action an ill-fated and ill-timed one, as he is still in the midst of re-establishing himself among the members of the greater gameplay community, but the mere "threat" of an imminent coup involving the "implanting of a temporary government based around the principles of Nephism" makes him and his followers no better than organizations such as the New Pacific Order and the Empire (albeit less successful, that is). One may joke about how we are all still waiting for "TWP CoupWatch 2015" but at the end of the day, the Union of The West Pacific is, in fact, TWP's legitimate government.

Signed,

Duke Dieter I
Sovereign of Funen

Bravo, Duke! Bravo!

Dieterus
Secretary

Founded: Jun 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dieterus » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:56 pm

Declaration of War on Auralia

Upon the region receiving such an unprovoked recruitment-bomb from Nephmir, the Nordic Republic of Funen hereby declares war on Auralia.
There is more than one way that regions can wage war.
As Nephmir famously once said on January 1, 2014 to declare war: "The Black Riders. They will be the first domino. They will most certainly not be the first or last region to fall... I am aware of all the consequences, and I embrace them. I have the entire year planned by the week."
Days before the start of the new year, The Eternal Knights fell to the very organization he waged war against.
If Nephmir wants to make false claims to provoke a declaration of war in an attempt to boost his region's morale, then a declaration of war he shall receive. He certainly will not obtain whatever he seeks.

Signed,

Duke Dieter I
Sovereign of Funen
Grand Marshal
The Vikings of Funen

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:00 pm

Dieterus wrote:
Declaration of War on Auralia

Upon the region receiving such an unprovoked recruitment-bomb from Nephmir, the Nordic Republic of Funen hereby declares war on Auralia.
There is more than one way that regions can wage war.
As Nephmir famously once said on January 1, 2014 to declare war: "The Black Riders. They will be the first domino. They will most certainly not be the first or last region to fall... I am aware of all the consequences, and I embrace them. I have the entire year planned by the week."
Days before the start of the new year, The Eternal Knights fell to the very organization he waged war against.
If Nephmir wants to make false claims to provoke a declaration of war in an attempt to boost his region's morale, then a declaration of war he shall receive. He certainly will not obtain whatever he seeks.

Signed,

Duke Dieter I
Sovereign of Funen

To be fair, The Black Riders did fall and is now dictatorially ruled by one of his former Knights :P

And the master plan ticks on...

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:15 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:To be fair, The Black Riders did fall and is now dictatorially ruled by one of his former Knights :P

None of which he had anything to do with. Also, the region he attempted to do this with was utterly destroyed by TBR before it fell. So, GG. ;)
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Kazmr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kazmr » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:29 pm

I would just like a statement from Funen on whether they think that IRC impersonation is acceptable.

Tonight during an operation intended to jump into SPACE, your current occupation, someone entered our operations channel as "Kaz" using a BNC roughly 30 seconds before we would have jumped and gave a go command, causing several of our more inexperienced to do so. Based on evidence collected by one of our OPs, we believe that it was your 'Sovereign', Dieterus.

Being that this was a clear attempt to interfere with our operation by impersonating me specifically, I just want to say that I do not find myself agreeing with whoever this impersonator was when they taunted us afterwards with "Oh gosh, that was funny."

In the RPing community where I started, impersonating someone on IRC would have been seriously looked down upon, and I have been led to understand by those who have been around in gameplay longer than I that the same is the case here.

Do you as a region find this funny?

PS. I am not upset that we didn't liberate the region; based on numbers we wouldn't have even if everyone jumped perfectly, so this would have largely been to exhaust influence anyway.
Last edited by Kazmr on Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Former Chairman of the Peoples Republic of Lazarus
Officer of the Lazarene Liberation Army
Also known as United Gordonopia

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:39 pm

Ridersyl wrote:
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:To be fair, The Black Riders did fall and is now dictatorially ruled by one of his former Knights :P

None of which he had anything to do with. Also, the region he attempted to do this with was utterly destroyed by TBR before it fell. So, GG. ;)

Gotta be a spoilsport, Syl? :P I mean, technically he got me into GP so he did have something to do with it ;)

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Evil Wolf
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Kazmr wrote:Do you as a region find this funny?

I, as a person, find this to by hysterical.

It wasn't a malicious impersonation of you, Kazmr, so you can get off that high horse right away. It was simply a good tactic, if a one trick pony, and exposes that maybe, just maybe, Defenders should take better precautions with their IRC planning channels like, I don't know, locking them so no one can come running in seconds before the update screaming "GO! GO! MOVE NOW! GO!".
It's ok! You can trust me! I've been Commended!

Kryozerkia wrote:In the good old days raiding was illegal
Crazy Girl wrote:Invading was never illegal
[violet] wrote:There is supposed to be an invasion game.

Mallorea and Riva should be a Game Moderator Game Administrator.

Dieterus
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Dieterus » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:51 pm

Kazmr wrote:Being that this was a clear attempt to interfere with our operation by impersonating me specifically,

"Kaz" was utilized because our intelligence service observed you to be in command, not to mention more or less AFK at the time of the jump. Nothing personal here, Kazmr.
Kazmr wrote:I just want to say that I do not find myself agreeing with whoever this impersonator was when they taunted us afterwards with "Oh gosh, that was funny."...Do you as a region find this funny?

The Vikings of Funen do think it was pretty hilarious that everyone in the room jumped haphazardly into the region. Another correction on you saying the GO was given 30 seconds before planned: the false order was given five seconds prior to Funkadelia's trigger, which turned out to be only 23 seconds before update.
Kazmr wrote:PS. I am not upset that we didn't liberate the region; based on numbers we wouldn't have even if everyone jumped perfectly, so this would have largely been to exhaust influence anyway.

If your buddies at TITO had jumped, the numbers thing would've been good if the jump was perfect... and maybe if I were AFK too. ;)
But congratulations! You've exhausted the influence necessary to kick one puppet. Image
Grand Marshal
The Vikings of Funen

Pauline Bonaparte
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 21, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Pauline Bonaparte » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:51 pm

Dammit, no one said "butthurt"!

I lost the bet!
Pauline Bonaparte
Senator, Carcassonne
Co-Founder, Taijitu

Kazmr
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kazmr » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:02 pm

So Funen is okay with impersonation. Got it.

And I take this to be an admission that you were behind it Dietrus?

Funkadelia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Funkadelia » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:03 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:It wasn't a malicious impersonation of you, Kazmr, so you can get off that high horse right away.

Yes, it was.
Funkadelia

Former Delegate of Lazarus (x3)
Proscribed TWICE by The South Pacific

WA Security Council Resolution Author (x2)
SC#161
SC#182

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:07 pm

Funkadelia wrote:
Evil Wolf wrote:It wasn't a malicious impersonation of you, Kazmr, so you can get off that high horse right away.

Yes, it was.

I don't think you know what the definition of "malicious impersonation" is then. Was it intended to harm Kazmr as a person? No. Was it intended to disgrace Kazmr? No. Was it intended to make fun of Kamzr? No.

Was it intended to make a few Defenders maybe move earlier than they should have? Yes, and it did exactly that.

Is that "malicious impersonation"? No. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it malicious impersonation. It was just plain old deception.
Last edited by Evil Wolf on Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kazmr
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kazmr » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:19 pm

Non-Malicious impersonation would be changing your nick in a public IRC channel for a second in one of the many times those sorts of jokes happen.

This would absolutely be mailicious impersonation. Not to say this is in any way a RL criminal affair, but digital impersonation laws would basically label this as 'malicious' being that it was intended to defraud defenders. Obviously this is just a game, but don't play this off to be some la-di-da joking 'lol, my nick is now 'Funky' and I'll say 'I coup Lazarus' when funk is around in the Laz channel'. Its not, and you know that full well, both of you.

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:27 pm

This was deception, Kaz. Everyone on IRC knows to check who they are talking to before launching into full blown chats about secret R/D matters. If someone is dumb enough to believe that "Ebil_Wolfie1", who wanders into #LWU asking "So can someone give me a full update on all the raids we are currently planning?", is me on IRC I'm not going to explode into a ball of rage, I'm going to remind everyone to check their source.

I guess this is why most raiders do all their operations on Skype. Much more secure.
Last edited by Evil Wolf on Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cormac Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac Stark » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:57 pm

Kazmr, the FRA has repeatedly used false flag operations to gain advantage in liberations. Pot, meet kettle. Don't cry about impersonation while you're working for an organization that has used the tactic variously for strategic advantage or just for giggles.

On a topic that actually matters, it's a shame to see two regions that apparently lean raider, despite both bearing independent and imperialist tags, at war with each other over something as simple as recruitment. Hopefully the two parties can work this issue out, and if not, hopefully they will not be attempting to drag other raider-leaning regions into their feud. Raiders (and imperialists) have long avoided the kind of routine blow-ups defenders have with each other and two newbie regions shouldn't disrupt that.

Guslantis
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 15, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Guslantis » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:02 pm

It was a mistake on the part of the defenders, I will admit that. We didn't moderate like we should've and it cost us the update. However, you only learn from your mistakes. Personally speaking, I assumed Kaz had to switch from mobile to computer to better manage the tabs closer to update. Now, in retrospect, I believe that was a stupid thing to believe, but at midnight, you're really not thinking about logic. "Kaz", whoever this user was, was on the channel a mere few seconds before giving the command and leaving. There was no time to check who they were or anything like you claimed we should've done. In addition, they were using a bouncer, as the ban later revealed. As usual, I will back the words of Kazmr, knowing him as a trustful source. That's all I have to say, and thank you for flying with Delta!

~Boots

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:00 am

Cormac Stark wrote:Kazmr, the FRA has repeatedly used false flag operations to gain advantage in liberations. Pot, meet kettle. Don't cry about impersonation while you're working for an organization that has used the tactic variously for strategic advantage or just for giggles.

In the past, using IRC nick impersonation to gather intelligence has been considered 'phishing' and entirely unacceptable.

I'm reasonably certain that the false flag operations you refer to involve literal flags on actual nations onsite, not phishing or other Instant Messenger impersonation.

Was this a horrible atrocity? No. But it's definitely sketchy. It's abuse of a platform's name system to disrupt communication between people by impersonating one of them. I'm surprised to see you defending it.

The Stalker
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Stalker » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:15 am

Impersonating someone is pretty inappropriate behavior, had they done it on NS they'd get into trouble with moderation, regardless of how malicious or clever it may have been. The fact it occurred on the IRC may put it out of NS moderation's hands, but certainly doesn't make it anymore acceptable.
The Mad King of Hell
I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"
Hell's Bells: Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.
This isn't Wall Street, this is Hell. We have a little something called integrity.
And I heard as it were the noise of thunder, One of the four beasts saying come and see and I saw, and behold...

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:19 am

Kazmr wrote:I would just like a statement from Funen on whether they think that IRC impersonation is acceptable.

Tonight during an operation intended to jump into SPACE, your current occupation, someone entered our operations channel as "Kaz" using a BNC roughly 30 seconds before we would have jumped and gave a go command, causing several of our more inexperienced to do so. Based on evidence collected by one of our OPs, we believe that it was your 'Sovereign', Dieterus.

Being that this was a clear attempt to interfere with our operation by impersonating me specifically, I just want to say that I do not find myself agreeing with whoever this impersonator was when they taunted us afterwards with "Oh gosh, that was funny."

In the RPing community where I started, impersonating someone on IRC would have been seriously looked down upon, and I have been led to understand by those who have been around in gameplay longer than I that the same is the case here.

Do you as a region find this funny?

PS. I am not upset that we didn't liberate the region; based on numbers we wouldn't have even if everyone jumped perfectly, so this would have largely been to exhaust influence anyway.

As the original founder of Funen, I think IRC impersonation is an unethical thing, although I am aware that NationStates Forums cannot moderate offsite activity other than the official IRC channel.

In my opinion, I am honest with myself on IRC, always appearing as ‘Charlotte Ryberg’, or my long-established RP name, ‘Minoa’. Minoa has since become my main account and this one being mothballed but kept active due to its long history, but I have dusted off this nation to say that IRC impersonation is likely to attract bad publicity for any region that willingly uses it.

I hope that both sides can come to a peaceful agreement as I do not wish to worsen any disputes.

Before I put back on the ‘Minoa’ hat, I wish to say that although Rybergia is acceptable as a backup, Charlotte Ryberg has been a long-established name in the community, although the territorial claim on the map is a bit larger than I expected: I don't ask for too much for the Funen universe.

Riftey
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Riftey » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:22 am

The Stalker wrote:Impersonating someone is pretty inappropriate behavior, had they done it on NS they'd get into trouble with moderation, regardless of how malicious or clever it may have been. The fact it occurred on the IRC may put it out of NS moderation's hands, but certainly doesn't make it anymore acceptable.

Bingo :bow:
About
Third Place Sexiest NSer 2K15
Largest Ego in Gameplay
Gameplay Ideology: Cause drama at any cost
Screw Democracy
Gameplay
Prophet of Sanctum
Watcher of Warzones
(Former) War Beserker of Cimmeria
(Former) MoFA of The Confederacy of Allied States

Prophet Alphonse Silverstorm
Independent Oppertunist

"Loyalty to my purpose - Loyalty to the end"

Nationstates and chill anyone? ;D

-Larry- (Ancient)
Attaché

Founded: May 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby -Larry- (Ancient) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:33 am

The Stalker wrote:Impersonating someone is pretty inappropriate behavior, had they done it on NS they'd get into trouble with moderation, regardless of how malicious or clever it may have been. The fact it occurred on the IRC may put it out of NS moderation's hands, but certainly doesn't make it anymore acceptable.

Riftey wrote:Bingo :bow:

The Prophet of Sanctum is bowing to the leader of Hell?
:?:

Riftey
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Riftey » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:40 am

-Larry- wrote:

Riftey wrote:Bingo :bow:

The Prophet of Sanctum is bowing to the leader of Hell?
:?:

Genius should be recognised when it's practically placed in your hand x
About
Third Place Sexiest NSer 2K15
Largest Ego in Gameplay
Gameplay Ideology: Cause drama at any cost
Screw Democracy
Gameplay
Prophet of Sanctum
Watcher of Warzones
(Former) War Beserker of Cimmeria
(Former) MoFA of The Confederacy of Allied States

Prophet Alphonse Silverstorm
Independent Oppertunist

"Loyalty to my purpose - Loyalty to the end"

Nationstates and chill anyone? ;D

Dieterus
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Dieterus » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:43 am

Guslantis wrote:There was no time to check who they were or anything like you claimed we should've done.

To be fair, anyone, even with a nickname like "Halcones", that says "GOGOGO" thirty seconds before update will cause defenders to jump.
Guslantis wrote:We didn't moderate like we should've and it cost us the update. However, you only learn from your mistakes.

Perhaps the operators of the secret defender channel will now institute necessary precautions to prevent future unwanted hitchhikers. For example, one such way would be to implement "/mode #channelname +i" three minutes before the scheduled update, though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. ;)
Grand Marshal
The Vikings of Funen

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:48 am

Cormac Stark wrote:Kazmr, the FRA has repeatedly used false flag operations to gain advantage in liberations. Pot, meet kettle. Don't cry about impersonation while you're working for an organization that has used the tactic variously for strategic advantage or just for giggles.

When was this?
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay