NATION

PASSWORD

Christmas - A proposal

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ravania Prima
Attaché

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ravania Prima » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:04 am

As I see it 'Christmas' should remain founderless and keep the liberation. Just to make sure it will never belong to one single group or person.

To the idea of making it a meeting place for NS-ers on Christmas-day, I give my full support and will attend if invited.
Posting as a free thinking individual

Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:09 am

Ravania Prima wrote:Just to make sure it will never belong to one single group or person

Until Joe Imperialist shows up and makes it a colony of theirs.
Last edited by Ambroscus Koth on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
☀ Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris (x2) ☀
Lieutenant of The Black Hawks | Sovereign General of the DEN
♥ Drunk married to Aurum Rider | Author of SC#172

Miniluv: Stability is Stagnation!

Ravania Prima
Attaché

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ravania Prima » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:12 am

Ambroscus Koth wrote:
Ravania Prima wrote:Just to make sure it will never belong to one single group or person

Until Joe Imperialist shows up and makes it a locked colony of theirs.

That's why the 'liberation' must remain... like I said... :palm:
Posting as a free thinking individual

Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:14 am

Ravania Prima wrote:
Ambroscus Koth wrote:
Until Joe Imperialist shows up and makes it a locked colony of theirs.

That's why the 'liberation' must remain... like I said... :palm:

We didn't get any resistance while we were in there, but now that I think about it more there could have been a lot of ways to prevent the refound.

Whatever. I'll accept that.

A Million Voices
Envoy

Founded: Feb 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby A Million Voices » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:31 am

I sort of like seeing it open and without a password, but that is just me. If it was refounded, it'd be quite worthless.

Unibot II wrote:I'm not going to oppose anything that could help secure native communities, but I do think its a little weird to specify that an fairly important part of Christianity is protected as sacred ground, but Islamic regions have often been picked on, Islam, Islamic Republic of Iran, Region of reunited muslim states etc. and there wasn't even UDL-TITO cooperation to help those regions, let alone cooperation between defenders and raiders. :roll:

Oh dear.
Silencing an opponent is not the same as converting him.

Letoilenoir
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Letoilenoir » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:
Letoilenoir wrote:We will donate all oof our share issue to the charity fund to save christmas

This isn't a roleplay thread :P

I like the idea Wordy but you'll never get every raider group to agree.

Tongue in cheek reference to the OP mentioning the last unity project - didn't realise we had to leave our SOH at the door when we entered DYP

:o
KEEP THE BLOOD CAVE FREE

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:44 pm

It is a shame but I cannot see it working with so many against the idea.
It was worth putting out there though. I will scrap the idea but my thanks to everyone that posted even if I do not agree with some.
Wordy, EX-TITO Field Commander.
Now just ornamental.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Punk Daddy
Envoy

Founded: May 08, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Daddy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:18 pm

To be honest, if/when Christmas returns to its inactive state, the rhetoric of the Asgardians will be proven correct.

Asgard wished to refound the region and bring some culture to it. Defenders got up in arms and used the SC to put the kabosh on that goal.

Asgard didn't want to make Christmas a DMZ, but wanted to make it worth something. You can decry the methods used, sure, but we'll see if in the end the greater good will be served by the liberation.

That there are defenders "occupying" Christmas should come as no surprise...and if anyone is surprised you haven't been paying attention to the R/D game.

i wish the natives of Christmas well...
The man, the myth, the legend.

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Asgard wanted to own it.
TITO is in Christmas by request. Natives there were ejected by Asgard do not feel safe with those nations still in region and still WA.
I cannot say I blame them.
Now just ornamental.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:58 pm

*rolls eyes*

TUR Founder
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TUR Founder » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:30 pm

I don't think you could get everyone on both sides to agree, also what is so special about Christmas that would have it deserve something like this?
A Shining Utopia, Join Today
This Nation is currently controlled by : Hungry

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:08 am

Cormac Stark wrote:We have already put significant time and work into Christmas -- more than any native ever has --
-snip-
would in all likelihood destroy NationStates.

Oh the arrogance and overinflated self importance. :roll:
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Cromarty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:11 am

Punk Daddy wrote:To be honest, if/when Christmas returns to its inactive state, the rhetoric of the Asgardians will be proven correct.

Asgard wished to refound the region and bring some culture to it. Defenders got up in arms and used the SC to put the kabosh on that goal.

Asgard didn't want to make Christmas a DMZ, but wanted to make it worth something.

Bullshit. Asgard wanted a trophy, nothing more.

They had no plan for the region beyond 'oh we'll do something at Christmas'. How does that make them any more deserving of the region than the natives? Here's a hint: it doesn't. Asgard was only there to make Christmas a trophy region, inactive for 11 and a half months of the year.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
Кромартий

Cromarty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:11 am

Ambroscus Koth wrote:*rolls eyes*

A compelling and convincing argument.

You've certainly won me over. :roll:
Кромартий

Manegarmr
Attaché

Founded: Mar 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Manegarmr » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:07 am

If you DO get an agreement here's an early gift:

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:39 am

Manegarmr wrote:If you DO get an agreement here's an early gift:

(Image)

Nice!
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Rachel Anumia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rachel Anumia » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:25 am

Cromarty wrote:
Punk Daddy wrote:To be honest, if/when Christmas returns to its inactive state, the rhetoric of the Asgardians will be proven correct.

Asgard didn't want to make Christmas a DMZ, but wanted to make it worth something.

Bullshit. Asgard wanted a trophy, nothing more.

They had no plan for the region beyond 'oh we'll do something at Christmas'. How does that make them any more deserving of the region than the natives? Here's a hint: it doesn't. Asgard was only there to make Christmas a trophy region, inactive for 11 and a half months of the year.

Your opinion sounds more like an assumption. To be fair, even if Asgard didn't succeed in making it more active was it that bad to have tried? After all, isn't that the defender slogan? "At least we are trying".
Two-Time President of Europeia
Self-Lighting Firework

Europeia, the Land of Peace, Freedom and Equality .

Cromarty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:30 am

Rachel Anumia wrote:
Cromarty wrote:Bullshit. Asgard wanted a trophy, nothing more.

Your opinion sounds more like an assumption.
An assumption based on the actions and words of members of Asgard on the forums and in IRC channels.
To be fair, even if Asgard didn't succeed in making it more active was it that bad to have tried?
No it wasn't bad that Asgard tried. What was bad was how Asgard went about it. Instead of going what I believe is known as the TAO route, they decided to take unilateral, oppressive action.
After all, isn't that the defender slogan? "At least we are trying".
'At Least They're Trying' is the title of an Oliver the Mediocre authored essay in response to HEM's 'Debunking Defenderism'. It is not, nor has it ever been to the best of my knowledge, the slogan of any defender organisation or defenders as a whole.
Кромартий

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:39 am

Manegarmr wrote:If you DO get an agreement here's an early gift:

(Image)

That's very nice work!
Now just ornamental.

Cormac Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac Stark » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:11 am

We actually did have plans for Christmas beyond an annual Christmas celebration, as we pointed out on numerous occasions. We were asked what our plans were for the cultural revitalization of the region and one plan was to make Christmas the host to an annual multi-region winter holiday celebration. Beyond that, we did in fact plan to help natives establish an offsite forum and a regional government (as we said again and again), to teach them how to recruit and welcome, etc. We were also talking about an annual Christmas in July celebration for summer games and such.

Now, I will admit that these plans were not thoroughly developed yet -- but we were taking things one step at a time. We had just imposed password protection and were still not even anywhere near the refounding stage of our plan as there were still four inactive puppets in the region with very high influence that needed to be ejected before refounding would even have been possible.

All that said, even if our plan had only consisted of making Christmas active for one month out of the year that would still be one month more active than it had ever been before and will likely ever be again. As is abundantly clear from a look back at the regional history and the regional message board, Christmas is only active when it's raided and I see no signs of that changing anytime soon. I'm sure activity will fall off once the TITO raid detagging is complete.

Galiantus
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:49 pm

Cormac Stark wrote:We actually did have plans for Christmas beyond an annual Christmas celebration, as we pointed out on numerous occasions. We were asked what our plans were for the cultural revitalization of the region and one plan was to make Christmas the host to an annual multi-region winter holiday celebration. Beyond that, we did in fact plan to help natives establish an offsite forum and a regional government (as we said again and again), to teach them how to recruit and welcome, etc. We were also talking about an annual Christmas in July celebration for summer games and such.

Now, I will admit that these plans were not thoroughly developed yet -- but we were taking things one step at a time. We had just imposed password protection and were still not even anywhere near the refounding stage of our plan as there were still four inactive puppets in the region with very high influence that needed to be ejected before refounding would even have been possible.

All that said, even if our plan had only consisted of making Christmas active for one month out of the year that would still be one month more active than it had ever been before and will likely ever be again. As is abundantly clear from a look back at the regional history and the regional message board, Christmas is only active when it's raided and I see no signs of that changing anytime soon. I'm sure activity will fall off once the TITO raid detagging is complete.

^This.

Defenders. What you have failed to realise is that there are a few things more important than keeping a region raider-free. Where is the value in NS if people don't interact? Where is the value if there is no culture or pride? None. What Asgard was trying to do was very noble compared to some of their other actions. They have, or at least most of them have, realized that the existance of a region is only important if it is being used to promote NationStates, make it a fun place, and keep people playing. If Christmas was to be refounded it would have a chance at being worth more than just a desirable name. It would be a community, and that's what matters.

By passing "Liberate Christmas" you killed that chance, you killed any hope of Christmas having a chance to grow, recruit, and become great before the holiday. As a founderless region, all it has done is provided entertainment to invaders every holiday season.

Defenders are good because they try to keep regions in control of natives. Defenders are bad when they stifle growing communities in their attempts to protect regions. Invaders are inherantly bad because they eject natives, place passwords, and take over regions. They are good because they sometimes give regions like Christmas a chance to become great. Defenders. I stand with you on the issue of regional control. However, I stand with the invaders whenever they do something like this; it revitalizes regions, gives them the life-blood of their existence which is activity. Please consider what you have done and give Christmas a chance to grow.
Last objected by The World Assembly on Wednesday, August 1, 2012, objected 400 times in total.
Benjamin Franklin wrote:"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch."
Ballotonia wrote:Testing is for sissies. The actual test is to see how many people complain when any change is made ;)

On NationStates, We are the Good Guys:Aretist NatSovs

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:10 pm

Cromarty wrote:
Ambroscus Koth wrote:*rolls eyes*

A compelling and convincing argument.

You've certainly won me over. :roll:

Sometimes Georgie...sometimes I don't want to argue.

Cromarty wrote:They had no plan for the region beyond 'oh we'll do something at Christmas'. How does that make them any more deserving of the region than the natives? Here's a hint: it doesn't. Asgard was only there to make Christmas a trophy region, inactive for 11 and a half months of the year.

Tell that to Venico and his list of fun cultural stuff he had planned.

Weed
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Capitalizt

Postby Weed » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Ambroscus Koth wrote:Tell that to Venico and his list of fun cultural stuff he had planned.
If the leaders of Asgard were capable of making Christmas an active cultural hub of NationStates shouldn't they also have the ability to make Asgard active and culturally impressive? Personally, I'd never heard of Asgard before this but I haven't been as deep in gameplay these last few months. But looking at their RMB I have doubts. I'd look at their forums but they've hidden it from guests. I could be wrong, I suppose, but...

Count me a skeptic.
I prefer not to be called that
Ex-Defender
Former WASC Author
----V----
Weed
LIVE FREE

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Weed wrote:
Ambroscus Koth wrote:Tell that to Venico and his list of fun cultural stuff he had planned.
If the leaders of Asgard were capable of making Christmas an active cultural hub of NationStates shouldn't they also have the ability to make Asgard active and culturally impressive? Personally, I'd never heard of Asgard before this but I haven't been as deep in gameplay these last few months. But looking at their RMB I have doubts. I'd look at their forums but they've hidden it from guests. I could be wrong, I suppose, but...

Count me a skeptic.

You don't judge a region by its RMB. And I could talk about all the cultural stuff Ven has been doing in Asgard since his appointment but I'll leave that to him.

EDIT: Also, I don't feel the need to impress you, Topid.
Last edited by Ambroscus Koth on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weed
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Capitalizt

Postby Weed » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Ambroscus Koth wrote:EDIT: Also, I don't feel the need to impress you, Topid.
I would be concerned if you did. ;)

My only point is, every time a refounding is stopped, raiders bemoan the loss at what would have been an amazing awe-inspiring cultural hub of NationStates. Yet not once by my memory has a refounding succeeded and that been the actual result. I mean nothing against Asgard's ability versus anyone else's, I do not think it could be done by any region.
I prefer not to be called that
Ex-Defender
Former WASC Author
----V----
Weed
LIVE FREE

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay