NATION

PASSWORD

Latin motto clinic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kyria
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyria » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:24 am

Maowi wrote:
Nogodia wrote:Can someone translate "The New Eagles" and "New Eagles"?
Thank you.

Latin has no definite article so both would be the same: "aquilae novae".

Kyria wrote:What would be the translation of "one union indivisible"?

If you want "union" in the sense of the abstract noun "unity", use "una et indivisibilis unio". For a union like a workers' union, in the sense of "alliance", use "una et indivisibilis societas".

I'm going off high school Latin here so that might not be 100% correct, but it should be fairly accurate.

I use it in the sense referring to a state, like how "Union" is sometimes used in reference to the United States. I will assume "una et indivisibilis societas" is the translation to use.
REPUBLIC OF KYRIA ΔΗΜΟΚΡΑΤΊΑ ΚῩ́ΡΕΙᾹΣ
MT 'modern Byzantium' blending Orwell and Mirror’s Edge with NazCentBol-esque Blue Helmet neoimperialism and tacticool Stormtrooperesque faceless legions.
Capital: Constantinople | President: Ioánnis Bardanes | Religion: Orthodox Christianity | Factbook | Map | News

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 am

What would be the translation for "New British State" in the same sense as "Estado Novo" in Portugal? Would it be something akin to "Civitatem Novam Britannicae", or no?

Edit: Or would it make sense to simplify the Latin to be more akin to modern Romance grammatically, thereby allowing more people to understand and be fluent in it?
Last edited by Britannia Maior on Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
| KINGDOM OF GREATER BRITAIN ᛫ God Save The King
PMT Great Britain under a National Statist/Renovationist regime, dedicated to upholding Euro-American hegemony in a seemingly eternal Cold War - and spying on you.

| The Times |

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:38 am

Nova britannica civitas
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:48 am

Great Nortend wrote:Nova britannica civitas

Cheers : )
| KINGDOM OF GREATER BRITAIN ᛫ God Save The King
PMT Great Britain under a National Statist/Renovationist regime, dedicated to upholding Euro-American hegemony in a seemingly eternal Cold War - and spying on you.

| The Times |

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:45 pm

Hello!

I am interested as to what 'it is better to work together than to be divided' would be translated to.

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1! | 10/10 by DGES | Much hope: yes.
Low-effort responses since 15/5/20: 67½ | Good responses since 20/7/20: 5

mit zuckerguß

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:59 pm

Light perseveres in darkness or Light perseveres in the dark
Oh, and Guarding the light from the shadows

Thank you muchly :)
Last edited by Celritannia on Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

-Astoria
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:05 am

Bump.

Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

mit zuckerguß

Inluminatio
Civilian

Founded: Nov 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Inluminatio » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:41 am

Salve!

I would like to know the Latin translation of "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Gratias tibi!

Frisia Magna
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisia Magna » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:28 am

Hey everyone. You know how "Germanicus" or "Parthicus" etc. were used as victory titles for generals who had dominated an enemy in said regions? I'd like to know what the equivalent in Latin would be for someone who basically dominated Rome in a war. Assume the other country also speaks Latin and wants to give the guy a such victory title.
Kingdom of Frisia || Cyningdom Friesland
10 Aug 2021
Þe Feorbiliþe: Edgar van Helsing, Prime Minister of Frisia in 2003-2014, made Baron Helsing of Siefenhausen. | "Executing the Sultan may see us have another Malay Uprising on our hands" Marshal Commander Offenberg warns. | Bidvest AG evacuates Dili. Australian bombardment led to the death of at least 100,000. | Manchuria sends soldiers at the border with Ryojun. Legation Cities drop 5 GBU-43/B bombs on Beijing; "Respect the demilitarised zones or else" - Chairman Carlsborough. | 2021 Plebiscite shows 72.8% of New England's population would prefer to continue being a Lordship in the Britannic Commonwealth.
Don't know whether to create a Großdeutschland or an Anglo-Saxon Britannia puppet next.

New Solaurora
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Solaurora » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:09 pm

Howdy, I'm not too sure my current motto, "Renati ad Astra" means what I want it to. Could someone please translate "We were reborn to reach the stars"?
Thank you!
---------
New Solaurora
---------

S-Hertogenbosch
Attaché

Founded: Jul 18, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby S-Hertogenbosch » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:54 pm

-Astoria wrote:
Hello!

I am interested as to what 'it is better to work together than to be divided' would be translated to.

If you change the English slightly so that it reads: "It is better to work together than to divide", the Latin would be: "Melius est cooperare quam dividere".
Instead of "cooperare" you could also use "collaborare".

If you'd like to keep the English motto the way it is, the Latin would become: "Melius est cooperare quam divisus esse" or even "Cooperare melius est quam divisus esse."
✠ Als wij van ertrijck moeten scheijden,
zoe bidden wij Onser Vrouwen,
dat sij ons moet gheleijden, amen. ✠
When we'll have to part this earth,
we'll pray to Our Lady,
that she will guide us. Amen.
taken from: Mirakelen van Onse Lieve Vrouwe tot 's-Hertogenbosch
Current year in 's-Hertogenbosch: 1628 | the 3rd year of bishop Ophovius' episcopate | anthem
Tier: 3 | Level: 0 | Type: 4 | Power Comparator: 36

S-Hertogenbosch
Attaché

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby S-Hertogenbosch » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:00 pm

New Solaurora wrote:Howdy, I'm not too sure my current motto, "Renati ad Astra" means what I want it to. Could someone please translate "We were reborn to reach the stars"?
Thank you!

I'd probably translate this as "Renati sumus ut astra tangimus". Instead of "astra", it is also possible to use "sideres" or "stellas". Instead of "tangimus", "capiamus" is also an option.
Last edited by S-Hertogenbosch on Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
we'll pray to Our Lady,
Current year in 's-Hertogenbosch: 1628 | the 3rd year of bishop Ophovius' episcopate | anthem

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:27 pm

Hey, so I was wondering. I'm thinking of a motto for my national armed forces, and I've written: "ad infinitum, per arta via". I'm not *quite* sure if this is correct. I interpret it as "To Infinity, through narrow paths." While I'm pretty sure I've got the words down right, I'm not sure about the cases. Can anyone confirm/correct?
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL
" We will not bow to your dictation. We are free. We bled to be free.
Who are you to tell us what we may and may not do? We stopped being your slaves an era ago. "
South Reinkalistan is a massive, ecologically-diverse nation notable for its roving student militias and widespread hatred for the elderly.
In the midst of a room-temperature cultural revolution that's lost its momentum, the Party carefully plans its next move.
As the brittle bones of fragile empires begin to crack beneath their own weight, history's symphony reaches crescendo pitch. The future is all but certain.

S-Hertogenbosch
Attaché

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby S-Hertogenbosch » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:50 pm

South Reinkalistan wrote: "ad infinitum, per arta via". I'm not *quite* sure if this is correct. I interpret it as "To Infinity, through narrow paths." While I'm pretty sure I've got the words down right, I'm not sure about the cases.

After "per" you have to use the accusativus according to the dictionary I use. So I guess it should be "ad infinitum per vias artas".
we'll pray to Our Lady,

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:19 pm

S-Hertogenbosch wrote:
South Reinkalistan wrote: "ad infinitum, per arta via". I'm not *quite* sure if this is correct. I interpret it as "To Infinity, through narrow paths." While I'm pretty sure I've got the words down right, I'm not sure about the cases.

After "per" you have to use the accusativus according to the dictionary I use. So I guess it should be "ad infinitum per vias artas".

Ahhh, thank you!
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL
" We will not bow to your dictation. We are free. We bled to be free.
Who are you to tell us what we may and may not do? We stopped being your slaves an era ago. "
South Reinkalistan is a massive, ecologically-diverse nation notable for its roving student militias and widespread hatred for the elderly.
In the midst of a room-temperature cultural revolution that's lost its momentum, the Party carefully plans its next move.
As the brittle bones of fragile empires begin to crack beneath their own weight, history's symphony reaches crescendo pitch. The future is all but certain.

S-Hertogenbosch
Attaché

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby S-Hertogenbosch » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:02 am

Inluminatio wrote:Salve!

I would like to know the Latin translation of "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Gratias tibi!

Is "you" meant as plural? And I've slightly changed the sentence so that it reads "everyone you will meet" because I think that would be something a Roman might use in this case. Quilibet is the word used for a random person and I've changed it to the accusativus quemlibet.

"Honesti estote, quemlibet enim obvium factum eritis, pugnat dimicationem."

Dimicatio is the word that the dictionary uses for a fight that is particularly hard.

I'm not entirely sure, so I hope someone will be so kind to confirm I've done it right or to improve my translation. :bow:
we'll pray to Our Lady,

S-Hertogenbosch
Attaché

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby S-Hertogenbosch » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:20 am

Celritannia wrote:Light perseveres in darkness or Light perseveres in the dark
Oh, and Guarding the light from the shadows

Thank you muchly :)

I would translate the first motto as "Lux permanet in tenebris".

The second motto becomes "Lucem defendere ab umbris" in Latin.
we'll pray to Our Lady,

-Astoria
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:39 pm

S-Hertogenbosch wrote:
-Astoria wrote:
Hello!

If you change the English slightly so that it reads: "It is better to work together than to divide", the Latin would be: "Melius est cooperare quam dividere".
Instead of "cooperare" you could also use "collaborare".

If you'd like to keep the English motto the way it is, the Latin would become: "Melius est cooperare quam divisus esse" or even "Cooperare melius est quam divisus esse."

Thank you kindly!

Jul 21, 2020

mit zuckerguß

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:42 pm

Hello there! ^^

I would like a Latin translation of the following phrase:
"Have a great day, for you are worth it!"

Thank you in advance! ♥
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:22 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Hello there! ^^

Thank you in advance! ♥

"Have" in the sense of "partake in" doesn't really work in Latin, so I used "enjoy" instead (also translated "great" as joyful or happy and "worth it" as valuable):
Fruere diem laetum, quia tū es concupiscibile!

As always, if anyone sees any errors, please point them out. Thank you.
Last edited by Auze on Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:29 pm

Auze wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:Hello there! ^^

Thank you in advance! ♥

"Have" in the sense of "partake in" doesn't really work in Latin, so I used "enjoy" instead (also translated "great" as joyful or happy and "worth it" as valuable):
Fruere diem laetum, quia tū es concupiscibile!

As always, if anyone sees any errors, please point them out. Thank you.

This will do nicely, thanks, friend! ^^
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

S-Hertogenbosch
Attaché

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby S-Hertogenbosch » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:16 am

Frisia Magna wrote:Hey everyone. You know how "Germanicus" or "Parthicus" etc. were used as victory titles for generals who had dominated an enemy in said regions? I'd like to know what the equivalent in Latin would be for someone who basically dominated Rome in a war. Assume the other country also speaks Latin and wants to give the guy a such victory title.

Wouldn't that be as simple as "Romanicus"?
we'll pray to Our Lady,

Sovietstanica
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovietstanica » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:24 am

Hello and salutations to you all,

I have a request, could someone please translate the motto: 'Grand, United, Free.' into Latin?

Note: For context, it is taken from one of the old Francoist Spain's mottos: "Una, Grande, y Libre."

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Sovietstanica on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
This account is managed by the Ministry of the Exterior as the Soviet Embassy to the Fora.
16ᵗʰ Franklin St. № 46, Stolitzgrad, 211 R.E. | 5 ¾ Civilization (Tier IX-Level II-Type VIII)
Website: https://sovietstanica.pr | Telegram: 3415855 (Hotline) / 3590315 (Postal)

Frisia Magna
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisia Magna » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:33 am

S-Hertogenbosch wrote:
Frisia Magna wrote:Hey everyone. You know how "Germanicus" or "Parthicus" etc. were used as victory titles for generals who had dominated an enemy in said regions? I'd like to know what the equivalent in Latin would be for someone who basically dominated Rome in a war. Assume the other country also speaks Latin and wants to give the guy a such victory title.

Wouldn't that be as simple as "Romanicus"?

Idk. I thought it might be, but it didn't sound right, but then again I don't know much about Latin.
Kingdom of Frisia || Cyningdom Friesland
10 Aug 2021
Þe Feorbiliþe: Edgar van Helsing, Prime Minister of Frisia in 2003-2014, made Baron Helsing of Siefenhausen. | "Executing the Sultan may see us have another Malay Uprising on our hands" Marshal Commander Offenberg warns. | Bidvest AG evacuates Dili. Australian bombardment led to the death of at least 100,000. | Manchuria sends soldiers at the border with Ryojun. Legation Cities drop 5 GBU-43/B bombs on Beijing; "Respect the demilitarised zones or else" - Chairman Carlsborough. | 2021 Plebiscite shows 72.8% of New England's population would prefer to continue being a Lordship in the Britannic Commonwealth.
Don't know whether to create a Großdeutschland or an Anglo-Saxon Britannia puppet next.

S-Hertogenbosch
Attaché

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby S-Hertogenbosch » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:14 am

You could also call the person the domitor Romanorum, "subduer of the Romans", or perhaps expugnator Romanorum, "conqueror of the Romans". That way you circumvent the problem that Romanicus doesn't sound right (because I agree that it sounds very strange, perhaps because the Romans didn't allow others to dominate them).
we'll pray to Our Lady,

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay