NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] [STRAY AUTHORS' GUILD] Conscientious Objector Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jedi Utopians
Envoy

Founded: Dec 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Utopians » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Birrapex wrote: Infact, most that claim a particular religion do not actually practice the religion. They will, under questioning, proclaim that they do practice the religion and that their shortcomings in doing so do not exist. Under fervid questioning they are in such denial and feel such pressure to conform that they will accuse the questioner of atrocities that have never happened and/or proclaim the questioner is the liar in hopes to avoid being detected. Short of physical or mental torture there is nothing that will convince these individuals to tell the truth, and even those extents are unlikely to produce a result. They lie to themselves as much as to others.

So what you are saying is that what a person believes is not what they believe, but they'll protest to death that they believe it? Your cynicism is carried to an absurd degree, I believe.
The honorable Son Rai, envoy of the Republic Council
Economic Left/Right: -4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.10
"Think: Christ, Gandhi, or Mr. Rogers."
--
Me: You're funny. Naive, but funny.
Jedi8246: I fail to see the humor. Or how I am naive.
--

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:50 pm

Intellect and the Arts wrote:
Flibbleites wrote:Uh, you know, that's a good question. :unsure:

Any time a Mod answers with "that's a good question", I tend to get very nervous and ask "Are you telling me none of the higher-ups considered this might happen, or are you rather saying you personally haven't checked?"

In this case, the latter, but considering how unlikely it would be for a vote to end up in a tie it could very well be that not even the admins would know what the outcome would be. I just might poke an admin and see what I can find out.

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Birrapex wrote:I disagree. In fact, most that claim a particular religion do not actually practice the religion.

A very, very, very dubious claim, at best. It also contradicts your own assertion that it's impossible to know what people believe without mind control. One or the other, ambassador.

Birrapex wrote:They will, under questioning, proclaim that they do practice the religion and that their shortcomings in doing so do not exist.

Of course they will; so will people who actually believe. But then the questioner will simply ask them about specific aspects of their belief. Their inability to answer these questions exposes them as liars.

Birrapex wrote:Under fervid questioning they are in such denial and feel such pressure to conform that they will accuse the questioner of atrocities that have never happened and/or proclaim the questioner is the liar in hopes to avoid being detected.

(1) I fail to see why they would do this.
(2) If they did do this, then it would obviously be a sign they would by lying and they would thereby expose themselves as liars.
(3) A trained interrogator is not going to be phased by the interviewee returning questions.

Birrapex wrote:Short of physical or mental torture there is nothing that will convince these individuals to tell the truth, and even those extents are unlikely to produce a result.

The questioner does not need to get them to tell the truth, he just needs to ascertain whether they are lying or not.

Birrapex wrote:They lie to themselves as much as to others.

Again, if these signs of lying are so obvious, then a trained interrogator would recognise them as signs of lying. The honoured ambassador from Birrapex is simply rife with contradictions today.
Last edited by Ossitania on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Motuka
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Motuka » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Any time a Mod answers with "that's a good question", I tend to get very nervous and ask "Are you telling me none of the higher-ups considered this might happen, or are you rather saying you personally haven't checked?"

In this case, the latter, but considering how unlikely it would be for a vote to end up in a tie it could very well be that not even the admins would know what the outcome would be. I just might poke an admin and see what I can find out.

I shall do my part by changing my vote to against, since Europeia seems to have swung the vote in favour.

I urge my fellow ambassadors to vote in such a fashion as to ensure that the final vote is an exact tie.

- S.K.
World Assembly Personnel: Sandor Kaji ~ Julian Kbitaru

Political compass: Approximately -8 Social/+1 Economic (OOC); -6 Social/+9 Economic (IC) ~ Making Maps [suggestions welcome]

Gettysburg11
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gettysburg11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:11 pm

I'm against it for now, because I agree with one of the posts on the first page that it's a little too general. Make it a little more specific and I'd vote for it then.

Looks like it's going to be a pretty close vote. I'm interested to see how this ends.

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Motuka wrote:
Flibbleites wrote:In this case, the latter, but considering how unlikely it would be for a vote to end up in a tie it could very well be that not even the admins would know what the outcome would be. I just might poke an admin and see what I can find out.

I shall do my part by changing my vote to against, since Europeia seems to have swung the vote in favour.

I urge my fellow ambassadors to vote in such a fashion as to ensure that the final vote is an exact tie.

- S.K.

That is just cruel and unusual right there.... but I'm tempted to encourage it because I want to see if the code breaks. >.< :geek:
Ambassadors: Arik S. Drake, and Alice M. Drake, twins

UNOG Member
Intellect and Art (NatSovOrg Member)
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill
NERVUN wrote:By my powers combined, I am CAPTAIN MODERATION!

Motuka
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Motuka » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Intellect and the Arts wrote:
Motuka wrote:I shall do my part by changing my vote to against, since Europeia seems to have swung the vote in favour.

- S.K.

That is just cruel and unusual right there.... but I'm tempted to encourage it because I want to see if the code breaks. >.< :geek:

Do you want to start the telegram campaign, or should I? <.<

Political compass: Approximately -8 Social/+1 Economic (OOC); -6 Social/+9 Economic (IC) ~ Making Maps [suggestions welcome]

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Motuka wrote:
Intellect and the Arts wrote:That is just cruel and unusual right there.... but I'm tempted to encourage it because I want to see if the code breaks. >.< :geek:

Do you want to start the telegram campaign, or should I? <.<

You do it. I have a very long record of not getting in trouble that I'd rather not tarnish.
Ambassadors: Arik S. Drake, and Alice M. Drake, twins

UNOG Member
Intellect and Art (NatSovOrg Member)
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill
NERVUN wrote:By my powers combined, I am CAPTAIN MODERATION!

Otrenia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Otrenia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:06 pm

For a couple hours there it seemed that Against was going to win they were about 100-200 votes ahead, now it has reversed and For has been ahead for a few hours. Anyone care to provide a prediction?

Cardoness
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cardoness » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:19 pm

I feel compelled to remind the ambassadors that this proposal was submitted by the author without any input or advice from others, and in fact without any notification of intent. It was another ambassador who was kind enough to open debate on the already proposed piece of legislation. Most agree, even among those who are voting in favor of it, that it is broad, flawed, and poorly written. There is an alternative proposal which is not being considered before the General Assembly right now because the author is taking the time to consult with others and craft the best resolution possible. It is on effort months in the making unlike the five minutes it took to throw this one together. Would you rather have a law that was tossed before the GA with as much care as someone taking out the trash; written with the same time, effort, consideration as it takes one to order a pizza? Or one which is being crafted with attention to detail and fine tuned like an expensive sports car? It is true that with the passage of this you will get your Conscientious Objector law, but ask yourself if this is the best possible law for this important issue? If you believe that it is, then by all means vote for this. But if you, like me, believe that together we can do better, then reject this and lend your voice to the creation of something good.
Speaker Andreas, Ambassador to the World Assembly, Founder of the United League of Nations.
Frustrated Franciscans wrote:We are firmly against the godless, utopian, progressive overreach that a small number of nations in the World Assembly want to impose upon the multiverse...

NewCalifornia-Republic
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby NewCalifornia-Republic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:23 pm

the other bill is much better than this, so for the love of what ever god you worship, vote against this bill, and then pass the other one, because it is way better
John Geary,
Leader of the General Assembly
The NewCalifornia-Republic

Attalahonia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Attalahonia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:55 pm

Timberley wrote:
Attalahonia wrote:Attalahonia has voted against this bill for one single reason.

Religious objection is a perfectly acceptable reason to be allowed refusal to military service. Simply declaring that you are against violence, however, is not. Every thinking human being should be against violence, but they still have to understand that sometimes, as a last resort, violence is the answer, indeed.

Fellow delegate, even though we come to the same conclusion, to oppose to the resolution that is, I don't understand how believing in a religious idea is a better reason to object to military service than believing in any other ideology.

In all honesty, fellow delegate, we agree with you wholeheartedly. The real reason for the previous statement was only to leave room for a compromise in the future, but since that is unlikely, we will state that the enlistment of a nation's military should be the concern of that nation alone. The World Assembly should, but probably will not, stay out of this type of matter. The vote of The Confederacy of Attalahonia still firmly stands.
Attalania
Kilmner
Kranthum
Hunthrean
Fresherland
Southatala
Port-o-Dukes
Intrensia
Skaarbung
Fishtail Islands
Masskreek Island
The World Organization for the Proliferation of Nuclear Arms

Sintas
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sintas » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:16 pm

NewCalifornia-Republic wrote:After calmly watching this disgraceful series of events, Joseph Briggs, stand ups and makes a plea

Hiriaurtung Arororugul and sintas, stop acting like children, you have turned the WA into a school playground with you childish actions, who are we to condemn other nations if you fight over a bill, we are meant to be setting an example for the rest of the world showing that peaceful discussions are an appropriate subsitute for voilence and your twisting peoples words, chucking people out of windows and punching people. SHAME ON YOU!!!!!

Well, who put you in charge? He started it( drug addict). Does he have to be one?
Totally awesome, off the charts!
I'm a rocker type: Rock on!

You have probably heard about the disaster in Japan. I hope you, and everyone else, want to help in any way possible. Please, if so, post this on your sig, but most importantly, make a difference by helping them.

Follow Survivor! I'm on it, so be sure to tune in:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=104855

( don't EVER diss Germany. I'm related to Adolf Hitler, and I'll make. you. pay.)

Hiriaurtung Arororugul
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Hiriaurtung Arororugul » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:29 pm

Sintas wrote:He started it

I started it?

I merely stated that this was a communistic proposal, which it plainly is, and that the author is a communist. Then I went on to suggest that those who refuse military service should be dragged behind a team of horses until dead.

You jumped into the middle of the conversation and threatened to put "forum administrators" on me, using hawks or falcons or somesuch. Then you said you hated me.

You keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside, baby. Here have some of this hashish. I promise it will improve your mood considerably.

Hiriaurtung Arororugul offers a hash pipe, loaded with the finest Lebanese blonde hash, to the Sintasistanian ambassador.
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador
The People of Aundotutunagir

WARNING! This account only posts in-character and will treat all posts directed at it as in-character as well.

Sintas
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sintas » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:36 pm

Hiriaurtung Arororugul wrote:
Sintas wrote:He started it

Here have some of this hashish. I promise it will improve your mood considerably.

Hiriaurtung Arororugul offers a hash pipe, loaded with the finest Lebanese blonde hash, to the Sintasistanian ambassador.

I am NOT a drug addict. Oh, and stop being so damn literal.
Pushes away hashish. Offers Ambassador a piece of gum.
Try this for a change.
Totally awesome, off the charts!
I'm a rocker type: Rock on!

You have probably heard about the disaster in Japan. I hope you, and everyone else, want to help in any way possible. Please, if so, post this on your sig, but most importantly, make a difference by helping them.

Follow Survivor! I'm on it, so be sure to tune in:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=104855

( don't EVER diss Germany. I'm related to Adolf Hitler, and I'll make. you. pay.)

Hiriaurtung Arororugul
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Hiriaurtung Arororugul » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Sintas wrote:Pushes away hashish. Offers Ambassador a piece of gum.
Try this for a change.

Hiriaurtung Arororugul takes the gum and chews it.

Mmmmm. It has a refreshing minty flavour.
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador
The People of Aundotutunagir

WARNING! This account only posts in-character and will treat all posts directed at it as in-character as well.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Any time a Mod answers with "that's a good question", I tend to get very nervous and ask "Are you telling me none of the higher-ups considered this might happen, or are you rather saying you personally haven't checked?"

Am I the only one wondering if Max Barry has set up the coding so that in the case of a tie, a new proposal is automatically inserted to the At Vote stage that reads as follows:
International Taxing Authority
A resolution to establish administrative parameters.
Category: Bookkeeping
Effect: Sweeping
Proposed by:
Maxtopia

Description: The Adopted Nations of the International Taxing Authority,

NOTING that the World Assembly has spectacularly imploded in a colossal fireball of unpredictability;

BELIEVING that there is a vital and needed role for a global organizational body;

FURTHER NOTING that there are an awful lot of General Assembly Resolutions and that the vast majority of them resulted in a net increase in member nation's tax rates;

FURTHER BELIEVING that the demise of the World Assembly may be fashioned into a grand opportunity for nations to draw a new destiny;

HEREBY

1. ESTABLISHES the International Taxing Authority as the natural successor to the World Assembly, with the full transfer of all Delegate ranks and associated endorsements;

2. ARCHIVES all previously passed WA Resolutions for historical purposes, so that citizens of today may forever look back upon the masterwork of their ancestors;

3. DECLARES the pages of international law to be blank;

4. INVITES members of the International Taxing Authority to begin work on a new volume, which may in time exceed even the grandeur of its predecessor.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Man, the suspense is killing me. :eek:
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Cardoness
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cardoness » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:00 pm

I am very disappointed that this thoughtless resolution passed. But, as the saying goes, Repeal, Resign, or Relax. I choose to do the former. I direct your attention to this resolutions repeal.
Speaker Andreas, Ambassador to the World Assembly, Founder of the United League of Nations.
Frustrated Franciscans wrote:We are firmly against the godless, utopian, progressive overreach that a small number of nations in the World Assembly want to impose upon the multiverse...

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:01 pm

The Rich Port wrote:Man, the suspense is killing me. :eek:

It has killed me. :lol2:
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Motuka
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Motuka » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Dammit, Wysteria. No tie and it's all your fault. >.<
Last edited by Motuka on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Passed by 38 votes what the...

I demand a recount! Has it ever been this close?
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:06 pm

THAR SHE BLOWS!!

Warzone Codger wrote:Passed by 38 votes what the...

I do believe it has been closer... But I'd have to double check. 127 resolutions is a lot to comb through.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:07 pm

The Rich Port wrote:THAR SHE BLOWS!!

Warzone Codger wrote:Passed by 38 votes what the...

I do believe it has been closer... But I'd have to double check. 127 resolutions is a lot to comb through.

You only need to check one : Liberate Free Thought.

EDIT: yep it smashed the old record by some thirty odd votes. This resolution was incredible.
Last edited by Unibot II on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Otrenia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Otrenia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:09 pm

If this is the closest vote ever, I hope I get a plaque or something! :lol:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives