NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] International Art Gallery

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fhaengshia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Fhaengshia » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:37 am

Glad to see this updated!

Minor note: In 2.b.iv. the all-caps "ART" at the end of the line (edited to be underlined in quote) looks like it's just referring to artwork rather than the trusteeship:
Conserve all active artworks in the PIECE, ensuring they are not damaged or altered during their time in the PIECE. If a piece becomes impossible to conserve for any reason, ART may cancel the outgoing loan and request another piece of ART from the originating nation.

Thousand Branches
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Thousand Branches » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:01 am

Fhaengshia wrote:Glad to see this updated!

Minor note: In 2.b.iv. the all-caps "ART" at the end of the line (edited to be underlined in quote) looks like it's just referring to artwork rather than the trusteeship:
Conserve all active artworks in the PIECE, ensuring they are not damaged or altered during their time in the PIECE. If a piece becomes impossible to conserve for any reason, ART may cancel the outgoing loan and request another piece of ART from the originating nation.

Thanks Fhaeng!
|| Aramantha Calendula ||
○•○ Writer, editor, and World Assembly fanatic ○•○
•○• Proud member of House Elegarth •○•
○•○ Telegram or message me on discord at QueenAramantha for writing or editing help ○•○
•○• Failed General Assembly Resolutions Archive || The Grand (Newspaper Archive) •○•
○•○ Have an awesome day you! ○•○

Thousand Branches
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2021

Postby Thousand Branches » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:18 am

For posterity’s sake, yes this has been submitted.
|| Aramantha Calendula ||
○•○ Writer, editor, and World Assembly fanatic ○•○
•○• Proud member of House Elegarth •○•
○•○ Telegram or message me on discord at QueenAramantha for writing or editing help ○•○
•○• Failed General Assembly Resolutions Archive || The Grand (Newspaper Archive) •○•
○•○ Have an awesome day you! ○•○

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:19 am

Support and approval submitted.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019

Postby Simone Republic » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:26 pm

I am ambivalent on this. I don't think we really need this Gallery (the online one maybe, given what happened to the Brazilians), the second one really seems somewhat redundant although hopefully it won't cost much money.

(OOC: like, there are plenty of galleries in East Manhattan or Brooklyn anyway? How about TriBeCa? Can we rent a dead mall in New Jersey and call it a museum?)
Last edited by Simone Republic on Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

United Region Alliance
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 16, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

URA Recommendation

Postby United Region Alliance » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:07 pm

The United Regions Alliance recommends a vote AGAINST "International Art Gallery" by a vote of 37.37% Against, 37.14% For and 17.37% Abstain (Due to no clear majority this is not a mandatory vote for the Delegates) 16 of 24 regions voted.

Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:28 pm

Thousand Branches wrote:Establish an onsite channel for reporting mistakes done in research or origins of any artworks; All such reports must be investigated and changed accordingly.

"I sincerely apologise to the author for not having brought this up earlier. However, this seems to give the PAINT no authority to reject false or malicious reports. A report that prima facie has absolutely no realistic basis should not have to be investigated by the PAINT, let alone the PAINT actually having to make changes based on said reports -- which 'changed accordingly' would seem to imply."

"As this issue does not directly affect member nations, we will be abstaining when this comes to vote. However, this would still seem to be overly onerous on World Assembly bureaucracy, and something that we encourage the authoring mission as well as prospective voters to take into account."

~Alexander Nicholas Saverchenko-Colleti,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Empire of The Ice States
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

Foraldn
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 09, 2015
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Foraldn » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:37 pm

Foraldn will support this resolution. International artwork curation is a noble venture that will surely further the goal of international cooperation and peace. Residents of WA member states can look forward to the cultural and spiritual enlightenment brought forth from the experience of master artistry as a result of this resolution.
-Ambassador Howard Forsythe

Saint Tomas and the Northern Ice Islands
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 18, 2021
Anarchy

Postby Saint Tomas and the Northern Ice Islands » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:39 pm

Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:
Thousand Branches wrote:Establish an onsite channel for reporting mistakes done in research or origins of any artworks; All such reports must be investigated and changed accordingly.

"I sincerely apologise to the author for not having brought this up earlier. However, this seems to give the PAINT no authority to reject false or malicious reports. A report that prima facie has absolutely no realistic basis should not have to be investigated by the PAINT, let alone the PAINT actually having to make changes based on said reports -- which 'changed accordingly' would seem to imply."

"As this issue does not directly affect member nations, we will be abstaining when this comes to vote. However, this would still seem to be overly onerous on World Assembly bureaucracy, and something that we encourage the authoring mission as well as prospective voters to take into account."

If it's has no realistic basis, then surely a report could be easily investigated as being false? If someone says "the painting was actually by a unicorn" it only takes a few seconds to fact check that. It's not going to create an overwhelming morass of bureaucracy as you suggest.

-Benji
Ambassador: Benji Schubert Hepperle
Deputy Ambassador: Randall Wrigglesworth II
Coffee Fetcher/Secretary: Jonathan Dos Santos Oliveira

Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:42 pm

Saint Tomas and the Northern Ice Islands wrote:
Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:"I sincerely apologise to the author for not having brought this up earlier. However, this seems to give the PAINT no authority to reject false or malicious reports. A report that prima facie has absolutely no realistic basis should not have to be investigated by the PAINT, let alone the PAINT actually having to make changes based on said reports -- which 'changed accordingly' would seem to imply."

If it's has no realistic basis, then surely a report could be easily investigated as being false? If someone says "the painting was actually by a unicorn" it only takes a few seconds to fact check that. It's not going to create an overwhelming morass of bureaucracy as you suggest.

-Benji

"Not only does it has to be investigated, but the resolution says that it needs to be 'changed accordingly'. It still needs to changed based on someone reporting, for example, that 'the painting was actually by a unicorn', saying that 'all such reports must be...changed accordingly'. Not even an interpretation that 'accordingly' would apply as relating to 'investigated' would save this issue, as it still has to be changed, even if in a manner based on the investigation."

Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

The Web of Life and Destiny
Attaché

Founded: Sep 17, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The Web of Life and Destiny » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:45 pm

Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:
Saint Tomas and the Northern Ice Islands wrote:If it's has no realistic basis, then surely a report could be easily investigated as being false? If someone says "the painting was actually by a unicorn" it only takes a few seconds to fact check that. It's not going to create an overwhelming morass of bureaucracy as you suggest.

-Benji

"Not only does it has to be investigated, but the resolution says that it needs to be 'changed accordingly'. It still needs to changed based on someone reporting, for example, that 'the painting was actually by a unicorn', saying that 'all such reports must be...changed accordingly'. Not even an interpretation that 'accordingly' would apply as relating to 'investigated' would save this issue, as it still has to be changed regardless of circumstance."

You misunderstand my use of “accordingly”.

Accordingly is defined as “in a way that is appropriate to the particular circumstances.” If the particular circumstances make it appropriate to change nothing, then nothing is what will be changed.

Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:01 pm

The Web of Life and Destiny wrote:Snip

"Fair enough, consider that concern revoked."

Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WA authorship.

Wiskirk
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 23, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiskirk » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:58 am

My opinion is that i want to vote fot the International Art Gallery. I believe that we should put some works of art from an arrangement of countries for not only for the purpose of amazing tourism that could potentially reel in a lot of money, but for the purpose of letting all of our cultures come together into one gallery of art.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So overall i think this is a great idea and should be voted positively because i like this plan itself.
Last edited by Wiskirk on Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regnum Tyrannis
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 27, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Tyrannis » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:16 pm

Regnum Tyrannis is FOR.

This spread of photographs of industry and pieces of art is exactly what Regnum Tyrannis wants for the WA--a place of ideological and polemical exchanges. Expensive or not, allowing nations and states to interact politically and peacefully is preferable.

Please consider supporting this bill.

American Rockies
Secretary

Founded: Jun 14, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby American Rockies » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:30 pm

Perhaps I missed it but I see no compensation for the artists.

Nouvel Acadie
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Nouvel Acadie » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:49 pm

Nothing like a world wide violation of Copyright....

The Web of Life and Destiny
Attaché

Founded: Sep 17, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The Web of Life and Destiny » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:37 pm

American Rockies wrote:Perhaps I missed it but I see no compensation for the artists.

The compensation would come in the form of worldwide exposure. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Nouvel Acadie wrote:Nothing like a world wide violation of Copyright....

Do explain, I placed several provisions in the proposal specifically to avoid forcing nations or artists to have their art represented.

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:11 pm

American Rockies wrote:Perhaps I missed it but I see no compensation for the artists.

Oh, yeah, missed this as well. Yeah, absolutely against.

Edit: also the consent requirement only applies to living artists, so if you're a dead artist's estate get bent I guess
Last edited by Comfed on Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valnistria
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Valnistria » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:00 am

'The Valnistrian WA Delegate: Tayisiya Lyashenko Declares On Behalf Of The Government Of Valnistria That Valnistria Votes Yes For The International Art Gallery Resolution'

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:40 am

The Web of Life and Destiny wrote:

The compensation would come in the form of worldwide exposure. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

"Exposure doesn't pay the bills, even if the choosing beggar is a WA committee." - Maria-Fernanda Novo, WA Ambassador for the Armed Republic of Juansonia
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:04 pm

Comfed wrote:

Oh, yeah, missed this as well. Yeah, absolutely against.

Edit: also the consent requirement only applies to living artists, so if you're a dead artist's estate get bent I guess

"Combined with ambiguity in several clauses, such as whether 'ART may...request another artwork from the originating nation' means that the ART can bind a nation to provide such artwork, or merely means that the request may be made but does not have to be complied with, this is sufficient to cause us to change our vote to against."

Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

Refuge Isle
Technical Moderator

Founded: Dec 14, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Refuge Isle » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:27 pm

What is the standard of "moral decency" that ART requires for artworks being loaned to the gallery?

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:11 pm

Refuge Isle wrote:What is the standard of "moral decency" that ART requires for artworks being loaned to the gallery?

OOC: To be evaluated by the PIECE, without much further instruction, so likely established by PIECE.
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

Regnum Tyrannis
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 27, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Tyrannis » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:49 pm

Refuge Isle wrote:What is the standard of "moral decency" that ART requires for artworks being loaned to the gallery?

Our bombs on your country for offending our God, is what a less patient country might say. Considering how Tyrannistan is a patient member of the international community, we would simply cut trade ties with more unseemly countries that can't fund beautiful, moral art.

Juansonia wrote:
The Web of Life and Destiny wrote:The compensation would come in the form of worldwide exposure. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

"Exposure doesn't pay the bills, even if the choosing beggar is a WA committee." - Maria-Fernanda Novo, WA Ambassador for the Armed Republic of Juansonia

How much money do you expect of the WA and her member states? Each nation and state is responsible for their citizens, NOT the WA.
If your tycoons fund your artists, or if you let yours starve, that's on you. Regnum Tyrannis is against any body tyrannizing its citizens harder than it does. We take care of our own and try to lead by example.

The Empire of Regnum Tyrannis continues to vote FOR.

Brezzia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 26, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Brezzia » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:55 pm

"Brezzia is AGAINST this proposal.

Even if PAINT would be helpful in spreading culture among Member Nations, PIECE project creates great concern to us.

The loan system would induce national governments to compete in the acquisition of artworks to loan them to PIECE. This system would advantage rich nations which would gain at the expenses of poor ones. The proposal doesn't say if the artworks must be owned by nations: governments may favorite art merchants and loan their artworks for a percentage. It would not be an illegal or immoral source, but WA funds would be diverted to private owners instead of improving living conditions in Member States.

The vague concept of "reasonable [...] moral decency" would prevent some important pieces of art to be accepted in PIECE (OOC: Courbet's L'Origine du monde).

ART may use the impossibility to conserve a piece as an excuse to cancel loan. I do not understand why it is specified that ART can make request for an artwork in this eventuality.

Finally, why should Member Nations deprive their populations of their masterpieces for such long time (3 years for loans, forever for donations)? The institution of PIECE would benefit only the international World Assembly territory and its residents."
Last edited by Brezzia on Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nation Name: Brezzia
Official Name: Brezzian Workes' Council Republic
Capital city: Nova Sybaris
Region: Badge
WA Category: Left-wing Utopia
Embassy Program: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=544944
Government System: Council Republic
Economic System: Socialist
President of the Committee of the Republic: Nando Martellone
President of the Council of Commissars: Olga Demetri
Commissar for Foreign Affairs: Guido Forestieri
WA Permanent Representative: Carlo A. Van Vera