NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] International Art Gallery

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Web of Life and Destiny
Attaché

Founded: Sep 17, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The Web of Life and Destiny » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:23 pm

To be honest, some of these are valid points. If they’d been raised before I submitted, I might’ve addressed them. Now, I’m done writing and I’m happy with the result. If someone wishes to repeal of their own accord, they may of course do so, but that’s life. Problems that are only addressed after a resolution goes to vote simply cannot be addressed at all. I cannot stress myself over problems I cannot change.

Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:07 pm

The Web of Life and Destiny wrote:To be honest, some of these are valid points. If they’d been raised before I submitted, I might’ve addressed them. Now, I’m done writing and I’m happy with the result. If someone wishes to repeal of their own accord, they may of course do so, but that’s life. Problems that are only addressed after a resolution goes to vote simply cannot be addressed at all. I cannot stress myself over problems I cannot change.

Ooc: To be honest, I had not noticed many of these issues prior to others pointing them out -- largely because I didn't really pay as much attention to this prior to it coming to vote as I should have, honestly.
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Web of Life and Destiny » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:11 pm

Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:
The Web of Life and Destiny wrote:To be honest, some of these are valid points. If they’d been raised before I submitted, I might’ve addressed them. Now, I’m done writing and I’m happy with the result. If someone wishes to repeal of their own accord, they may of course do so, but that’s life. Problems that are only addressed after a resolution goes to vote simply cannot be addressed at all. I cannot stress myself over problems I cannot change.

Ooc: To be honest, I had not noticed many of these issues prior to others pointing them out -- largely because I didn't really pay as much attention to this prior to it coming to vote as I should have, honestly.

I don’t blame ya for that for the record. For one, that’s almost always the case (and is especially true with basically every proposal I’ve ever written. God I remember submitting my sex work res like 6 times because people would only comment after I’d submitted. I don’t blame folks for not coming forward with issues earlier, I’m just acknowledging that there is nothing I can do now. Once a proposal reaches the voting phase, it is fully out of my hands.

Refuge Isle
Technical Moderator

Founded: Dec 14, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Refuge Isle » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:17 pm

The Web of Life and Destiny wrote:To be honest, some of these are valid points. If they’d been raised before I submitted, I might’ve addressed them.

When you're in drafting, you have a coalition of the wiling who have the time and availability to assist you. When it's at vote, it has to stand on its own, and it becomes seen by the ten to twenty five thousand voters who have to make some kind of decision on the law you're peddling -- most seeing it for the first time. The responsibility is ultimately on the author to conduct adequate research and anticipate potential loopholes or flaws. It isn't too much of a challenge to pass legislation, the difficulty is in a resolution's longevity, and there are an array of valid repeal hooks that shorten this one's.

Swanbay
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Swanbay » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:21 am

To Be Honest, I do not know why another nation would care about art that is completely irrelevant to them.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Web of Life and Destiny » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:26 am

Refuge Isle wrote:
The Web of Life and Destiny wrote:To be honest, some of these are valid points. If they’d been raised before I submitted, I might’ve addressed them.

When you're in drafting, you have a coalition of the wiling who have the time and availability to assist you. When it's at vote, it has to stand on its own, and it becomes seen by the ten to twenty five thousand voters who have to make some kind of decision on the law you're peddling -- most seeing it for the first time. The responsibility is ultimately on the author to conduct adequate research and anticipate potential loopholes or flaws. It isn't too much of a challenge to pass legislation, the difficulty is in a resolution's longevity, and there are an array of valid repeal hooks that shorten this one's.

I understand that, and I wasn’t arguing against it. The point was simply that I cannot change it now.

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:04 am

Regnum Tyrannis wrote:
Refuge Isle wrote:What is the standard of "moral decency" that ART requires for artworks being loaned to the gallery?

Our bombs on your country for offending our God, is what a less patient country might say. Considering how Tyrannistan is a patient member of the international community, we would simply cut trade ties with more unseemly countries that can't fund beautiful, moral art.

"Understanding your intent to blow the entire matter out of proportion is all well and dandy, but what benchmark is used to determine whether something meets a moral standard? After all, morality is subjective, and a lack of defined standards is easy to abuse" - Maria-Fernanda Novo, WA Ambassador for the Armed Republic of Juansonia
Juansonia wrote:"Exposure doesn't pay the bills, even if the choosing beggar is a WA committee." - Maria-Fernanda Novo, WA Ambassador for the Armed Republic of Juansonia
How much money do you expect of the WA and her member states? Each nation and state is responsible for their citizens, NOT the WA.
If your tycoons fund your artists, or if you let yours starve, that's on you. Regnum Tyrannis is against any body tyrannizing its citizens harder than it does. We take care of our own and try to lead by example.

"That quote is in response to a claim that 'exposure' is sufficient compensation for artwork, which it is not. Juansonia actually goes out of its way to fund art. However, if this World Assembly wants to collect art, it has to accept the fact that artists will want financial compensation. Being known by every household does not matter if your masterpiece was stolen." - Maria-Fernanda Novo, WA Ambassador for the Armed Republic of Juansonia
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:40 pm

My right and honorable colleagues, I rise today to cast our vote against this proposal as it represents yet another breach into sovereign WA nations for pointless and inane activities. Also, we warn the parties that are concerned that the image produced by any attempt to photograph or catalog any Philimbesain art will include members of our Interior Department staff making rude gestures to the camera.

Nigel S Youlkin
USP Ambassador to the WA.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Sepubliccos
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 09, 2022
Ex-Nation

Second Draft OOC For WA Author

Postby Sepubliccos » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:00 pm

Morover wrote:"Do you not think that 1a is a tad burdensome on the World Assembly? Between the tens of thousands of member nations and presumably massive amounts of art present in each nation, it seems insane to require that every single piece of art be documented, regardless of merit. While we here at Morover greatly value cultural enrichment programs such as this, we cannot justify the draining of World Assembly funds towards the payment of photographers to photograph even the most infinitesimal or insignificant of artworks."

Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:31 pm

"International Art Gallery" was discarded by the WA for rule violations after garnering 10,476 votes in favor and 5,689 votes against.
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

North Macaronesa
Envoy

Founded: Sep 06, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby North Macaronesa » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:43 pm

"International Art Gallery" was discarded by the WA for rule violations after garnering 10,476 votes in favor and 5,689 votes against.

Wait, what rules did it violate?
Welcome to North Macaronesia! | She/Her | NS stats are not canon

The Macaronesian Times | Record snowfall on Telde causes worry for Tenerife farmers as temperatures increase | New Progressive Party calls for end of conversion therapy in North Macaronesia | Two die in Highway TR-1 landslide, critics call out highway system as "poorly designed", call for US-Interstate-style system

Overview
| Issue Draft

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:49 pm

North Macaronesa wrote:

Wait, what rules did it violate?

viewtopic.php?p=40062026#p40062026

We'll get the full opinion hopefully in the next few days.
IC comments are from Amb. Asgeir Trelstad unless otherwise stated.
Factbooks: WA Staff | WA Agenda | Government | Religion | Demographics
Resolutions authored: GA#629, GA#638, GA#650

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:02 pm

OOC: Sorry about how things turned out. I hope you will be encouraged by the good showing to continue to draft proposals, and to possibly resubmit a legal version of this draft.
Last edited by Heavens Reach on Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Web of Life and Destiny » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:38 pm

Heavens Reach wrote:OOC: Sorry about how things turned out. I hope you will be encouraged by the good showing to continue to draft proposals, and to possibly resubmit a legal version of this draft.

I don’t plan to. Not in the near future anyway. This resolution was already the last dregs of my former WA writer era :p

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives