NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] Psychiatric Care Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:31 am

Heidgaudr wrote:
Jedinsto wrote:Uncensored communication (and uncensored receiving of communication) from within mental health facilities so long as all recipients (including the patient) agree to be contacted.

"I don't think this protects patients nearly as much as you think. It's arguable that most if not all patients at MHFs are not able to give legal consent, thereby this provision does next to nothing."

“The clause said ‘agree’, not ‘consent’, ambassador. I would argue that, whereas ‘consent’ is a legal term, ‘agree’ is not. Additionally, if an interpretation of a clause renders it entirely void of effect, common sense would dictate that the interpretation is in bad faith. Your concerns about prisoners are more troubling, but they do not, in my view, invalidate the provisions which this proposal makes for the majority of nations’ populations.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:43 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Heidgaudr wrote:"I don't think this protects patients nearly as much as you think. It's arguable that most if not all patients at MHFs are not able to give legal consent, thereby this provision does next to nothing."

“The clause said ‘agree’, not ‘consent’, ambassador. I would argue that, whereas ‘consent’ is a legal term, ‘agree’ is not. Additionally, if an interpretation of a clause renders it entirely void of effect, common sense would dictate that the interpretation is in bad faith. Your concerns about prisoners are more troubling, but they do not, in my view, invalidate the provisions which this proposal makes for the majority of nations’ populations.”

"I don't see there being a meaningful difference between 'agree' and 'consent' in this context. If a nation - or the administrators of a single MHF - wish to target an individual, they can simply deem them sufficiently incompetent to be able to agree to anything. It's a colorable and legitimate interpretation in our delegation's opinion."
IC comments are from Amb. Asgeir Trelstad unless otherwise stated.
Factbooks: WA Staff | WA Agenda | Government | Religion | Demographics
Resolutions authored: GA#629, GA#638, GA#650

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:26 am

Heidgaudr wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“The clause said ‘agree’, not ‘consent’, ambassador. I would argue that, whereas ‘consent’ is a legal term, ‘agree’ is not. Additionally, if an interpretation of a clause renders it entirely void of effect, common sense would dictate that the interpretation is in bad faith. Your concerns about prisoners are more troubling, but they do not, in my view, invalidate the provisions which this proposal makes for the majority of nations’ populations.”

"I don't see there being a meaningful difference between 'agree' and 'consent' in this context. If a nation - or the administrators of a single MHF - wish to target an individual, they can simply deem them sufficiently incompetent to be able to agree to anything. It's a colorable and legitimate interpretation in our delegation's opinion."

Lewitt pauses for a few moments. “Upon reflection, I concur with your judgement. I am not quite sure how it would be addressed, but the proposal’s wording does leave open an undesirable loophole. I will take this into account in my judgement.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Simone Republic » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:45 pm

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=513405&hilit=psychiatric

See my discord comments and my previous comments on the draft
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

GirlyPopsAsf
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 28, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby GirlyPopsAsf » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:28 pm

I believe that the Psychiatric Care Act is quite a progressive act, one that has its fair share of pros and cons. The bigger picture does allow for this act to be taken accordingly and can do more good than harm. Which is a great thing in looking at the world from a nicer point of view.

Nunaqujjuk
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 12, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Nunaqujjuk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:13 pm

Against
NS STATS ARE NON CANON!!! USE FACTBOOK OF NUNAQUJJUK THANKS

Yosh got the roll we skrring
Double tap in the back with the German
Clock me an opp, wind down the window
Back out the spinner and burst him
I put bullets in numerous guys
Like, how come the opps ain't learning?
Teewizz got splashed and got murdered

Jedinsto
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedinsto » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:49 pm

Nunaqujjuk wrote:Against

L

Nunaqujjuk
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 12, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Nunaqujjuk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:36 pm

Jedinsto wrote:
Nunaqujjuk wrote:Against

L

And im allowed to say if I'm against, this forum is not a place for memes.
NS STATS ARE NON CANON!!! USE FACTBOOK OF NUNAQUJJUK THANKS

Yosh got the roll we skrring
Double tap in the back with the German
Clock me an opp, wind down the window
Back out the spinner and burst him
I put bullets in numerous guys
Like, how come the opps ain't learning?
Teewizz got splashed and got murdered

Jedinsto
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedinsto » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:01 pm

Nunaqujjuk wrote:
Jedinsto wrote:L

And im allowed to say if I'm against, this forum is not a place for memes.

:(

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:39 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Heidgaudr wrote:"I don't see there being a meaningful difference between 'agree' and 'consent' in this context. If a nation - or the administrators of a single MHF - wish to target an individual, they can simply deem them sufficiently incompetent to be able to agree to anything. It's a colorable and legitimate interpretation in our delegation's opinion."

Lewitt pauses for a few moments. “Upon reflection, I concur with your judgement. I am not quite sure how it would be addressed, but the proposal’s wording does leave open an undesirable loophole. I will take this into account in my judgement.”

"Many nations recognise Power of Attorney or an equivelant means for someone to appoint someone as legally able to consent on another's behalf."
- Maria-Fernanda Novo, WA Ambassador for the Armed Republic of Juansonia.
Last edited by Juansonia on Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:39 am

Dr Justin Obama, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs: I'd like to not that:

'Provisions and rights guaranteed within this clause do not necessarily apply to individuals convicted of criminal offenses'

Only applies to those convicted of offences, and not anyone charged with a crime, thus still giving all sorts of rabble rousers/admirals with the nuclear launch codes an opportunity to leak all the data they have in the long time between being charged and being trialed during their incarceration, mostly defeating the purpose of the repeal. Also, denying all mentally ill criminals the right to all the other stuff (including a pleasant atmosphere) in a mental facility is too far even for us. Show some humanity, dude. You can trust me, I'm a doctor.
Last edited by West Barack and East Obama on Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonnel is the place.

6x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

Jedinsto
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedinsto » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:49 am

West Barack and East Obama wrote:Dr Justin Obama, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs: I'd like to not that:

'Provisions and rights guaranteed within this clause do not necessarily apply to individuals convicted of criminal offenses'

Only applies to those convicted of offences, and not anyone charged with a crime, thus still giving all sorts of rabble rousers/admirals with the nuclear launch codes an opportunity to leak all the data they have in the long time between being charged and being trialed during their incarceration, mostly defeating the purpose of the repeal. Also, denying all mentally ill criminals the right to all the other stuff (including a pleasant atmosphere) in a mental facility is too far even for us. Show some humanity, dude. You can trust me, I'm a doctor.

That exception was included solely to get this to pass. Don't worry, I or one of my region mates is going to write something regarding the criminally insane.

Edit: Also, that clause does not require those protections are not given to criminally insane people, it simply doesn't require that they are, if that makes any sense.
Last edited by Jedinsto on Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:55 am

Jedinsto wrote:
West Barack and East Obama wrote:Dr Justin Obama, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs: I'd like to not that:

That exception was included solely to get this to pass. Don't worry, I or one of my region mates is going to write something regarding the criminally insane.

Edit: Also, that clause does not require those protections are not given to criminally insane people, it simply doesn't require that they are, if that makes any sense.

Yes, it allows Nurse Ratched to deny key parts of healthcare to anybody convicted of a criminal offense - even if it happened years ago and is wholly unrelated to why the patient is in the MHF in the first place. It's a bad provision and should be reason enough to vote against. If the tinpot dictator says it's inhumane, you know you fucked up.
Last edited by Heidgaudr on Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC comments are from Amb. Asgeir Trelstad unless otherwise stated.
Factbooks: WA Staff | WA Agenda | Government | Religion | Demographics
Resolutions authored: GA#629, GA#638, GA#650

West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:58 am

Heidgaudr wrote:Yes, it allows Nurse Ratched to deny care to anybody convicted of a criminal offense - even if it happened years ago and is wholly unrelated to why the patient is in the MHF in the first place. It's a bad provision and should be reason enough to vote against. If the tinpot dictator says it's inhumane, you know you fucked up.

Dr Justin Obama, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, as he puts his nerd glasses on: Actually I'm not the dictator. I'm just following orders. And for the record, President Barack Obama may be a dictator (in the sense that he dictates great lifestyles and moral codes for our people to follow) but he is no way tinpot. He is a giant pot. He is the potty. He is the whole cauldron and the beef stew. Please research your facts.

Jedinsto wrote:

Passing the buck along to another 'region mate' down the line seems like a weird way to deflect those concerns, but valid I suppose. I mean, I surely trust these region mates to care enough about the criminally insane. However this resolution still does not solve the problem the repeal was passed to prevent. Literally one job, make sure people charged with a crime or whoever don't get their uncensored communication. While we have no stake it seems pretty odd and a huge waste of paper to allow this to happen.
Last edited by West Barack and East Obama on Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonnel is the place.

6x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

Rhenna
Secretary

Founded: Oct 19, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Rhenna » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:18 pm

Hello
-Rhenna
Seaker of World Republic

Citizen, MOI, and MGA of The Leftist Assembly

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019

Postby Simone Republic » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:58 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Heidgaudr wrote:"I don't see there being a meaningful difference between 'agree' and 'consent' in this context. If a nation - or the administrators of a single MHF - wish to target an individual, they can simply deem them sufficiently incompetent to be able to agree to anything. It's a colorable and legitimate interpretation in our delegation's opinion."

Heidgaudr wrote:Yes, it allows Nurse Ratched to deny key parts of healthcare to anybody convicted of a criminal offense - even if it happened years ago and is wholly unrelated to why the patient is in the MHF in the first place. It's a bad provision and should be reason enough to vote against. If the tinpot dictator says it's inhumane, you know you fucked up.

The same discussion has turned up on WALL with contributions from Kenmoria and we are discussing a separate resolution on patient rights and standards for health care facilities and staff in order to prevent all forms of potential abuse, not just in psychiatric care. I support the resolution as it stands on reliance on reasonable nation theory but yes there's scope to tighten protection for all patients.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

Free Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Jan 16, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Algerstonia » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:04 pm

The Free and Patriotic State of Algerstonia, whilst opposing this proposal at the request of our sponsors, is pleased with the boldness and rationality the World Assembly delegation of Jedinsto has chosen in not forcing the Big Government Globalists in the World Assembly to force us to pay healthcare. Terrorists do not deserve any healthcare at all, they did the crime, they pay the consequences.

LONG LIVE THE FREE AND PATRIOTIC STATE.

Algerstonican Patriotic Bureau of Anti-Globalist Ministries of Freedom
Z

Jedinsto
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedinsto » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:05 am

This is now at vote.

Epicness and Pride
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 14, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Epicness and Pride » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:07 am

(This is a placeholder nation for my main.)
As the first person to vote on this (ICF), I voted against due to me believing that this is far too unnecessary.
However, it is going to pass, so good job since alot of for votes came in.

Nysa
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 20, 2022

Postby Nysa » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:27 am

The text fails to demonstrate why this is an international issue, and why the WA is justified in stepping in here to undermine the democratic process on this issue. While these may be good policies we should support at a national level, imposing them in a one-size-fits all manner on all people’s via force is undemocratic, imperialist, and violent.

We vote against.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:31 am

Nysa wrote:The text fails to demonstrate why this is an international issue, and why the WA is justified in stepping in here to undermine the democratic process on this issue. While these may be good policies we should support at a national level, imposing them in a one-size-fits all manner on all people’s via force is undemocratic, imperialist, and violent.

We vote against.

“I refer the Nysan delegation to this clause: ‘Recognizing the fundamental rights to treatment and care that people with mental illness possess, and the high quality of care necessary to treat these individuals,’. Fundamental civil rights are universal, hence their name, and they are therefore international. I would posit that the nature of the Wood Assembly to impose peace and goodwill, via force if necessary. This is rather basic to its nature, so I am not sure why a nation would joined if it had an issue with this.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:50 am

We rise to cast our vote against this resolution as it is our belief that this is not an international concern.

Further, should it pass, we will make known our intention to continue to exercise our best judgment regarding censoring any and all correspondence received or sent to our psychiatric patients receive while under care.

Nigel S Youlkin
USP Ambassador to the WA
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Serdequre
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 24, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Serdequre » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:26 am

OOC (because I don't have the spoons for RP atm): It's not entirely clear to me why 7.c. exists in the form that it does. Is there a compelling reason why a visitor ought to be able to unilaterally enact surveillance upon a patient they are visiting without the patient's consent despite both having already agreed to the visit and the patient determined not to be a danger? One doesn't jump to mind, so my nation will be voting Against unless an adequate one is explained.
Last edited by Serdequre on Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lokkemand
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 15, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Lokkemand » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:37 pm

Here's a scenario:

Psychiatric evaluation determines that a patient no longer requires institutionalisation, but that person does not consent to being released from the mental health facility because of clause 7d. They have freedom of movement on the grounds because of clause 7f. Staff could argue that, in order to ensure an enjoyable and pleasant atmosphere for those under its care, the patient must be removed, despite clause 7d.

- Clause 4 expects non-institutional support to precede institutionalisation for a person with mental illness.

- Clause 6 means this individual could refuse these efforts, only being willing to receive the treatment in a mental health facility even if it would not otherwise be required in their degree of a case.

- Once inside, and even if only requiring a short stay, clause 7d necessitates that the now-patient must agree to leave.

- Because of clause 7f, this person cannot be prevented from freedom of movement to simply reside in the mental health facility, even though it is at the expense of the enjoyable and pleasant atmosphere afforded in clause 7e by the staff who must nonetheless protect him dependent on clause 7d. This could be argued as not the same as preventing injury to that person or those around them in restraining freedom of movement.

- Someone in such a scenario could then well be legally afforded to occupy a mental health facility unless they are criminally convicted, in which the rights of clause 7 should no longer apply.

- Nonetheless, this person can argue that clause 5 still affords them the provisions of clause 7 as the exclusion of clause 7 comes from clause 7g, which only refers to its section as having the criminal exception.

- So even if a squatting patient is prosecuted and convicted for unnecessarily occupying a mental health facility, removing clause 7's required applicability for member states, these same governments must still ensure them the provisions of clause 5, which might in effect assume the sensibilities of clause 7 anyway but with its specifications entirely and seemingly still nullified for the criminal.

But, clauses 3-6 are still in effect for the resolution, the situations with clause 7 may still create themselves even if part of the resolution apparently becomes void for the case of the criminally convicted. Only then it might be a matter of dealing with a prisoner who can still argue for care and could still refuse, which may, in effect, result in some end form of mental health facility if the mental illness so remains otherwise untreated by the refusal of lesser means by a person. The cycle could continue. Ad finitum. Clause 7 being in a limbo of legislative existence like a ghost.

Despite the fact that this above scenario may seem a considerably hypothetical thought experiment (for which it is), it is possibly something worthy to consider. At the least, it might be worthy to note that the criminal exception of clause 7g does not suggest clause 5 is removed, meaning that criminals can and can't be given proper mental health care, at least with how I'm interpreting it.

I would love to hear what people's thoughts are on this. Sorry if it is long, I put the bulletin point to divvy things up a little. On principle I support the bill, and certainly the particular substances of the proposed law, but it seems like there may be some structural peculiarities.

1. Criminals do and need not apply to this bill. Clause 7g clashes with clause 5, which is similar to 7d.

2. Disproportionate, excessive, cumbersome, and subsequently unnecessary support is here legally permissible so long as the target person wishes for it. Even if it is coming at the expense of the rights of others that we must also uphold.

I might be wrong, though, and I do want to readily point that out. I more or less just typed this up thinking about the resolution as I read it, so I'm not meaning to write this as some take-down of any kind. I just wanted to bring this in, since criminal considerations have been lightly touched on in the debate here, tangentially, with some concern, but not centrally, and maybe this conception ties into that with the bill here. Point 1 probably applies a lot more generally to the more niche point 2, but I'll leave that to the record all the same.

Maybe the squatter patient is a completely unreasonable, practically inconceivable one, to which if that's the case then I toss it aside. Still, the point about clause 5 relating to the annulment of clause 7 in case of clause 7g could well still stand.
Last edited by Lokkemand on Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lokkemand
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 15, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Lokkemand » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:41 pm

Serdequre wrote:OOC (because I don't have the spoons for RP atm): It's not entirely clear to me why 7.c. exists in the form that it does. Is there a compelling reason why a visitor ought to be able to unilaterally enact surveillance upon a patient they are visiting without the patient's consent despite both having already agreed to the visit and the patient determined not to be a danger? One doesn't jump to mind, so my nation will be voting Against unless an adequate one is explained.

OOC I know in my country IRL at least, Canada, that at least for phone calls a phone call can for instance be recorded so long as one of the parties is aware (for instance the recorder)
https://globalnews.ca/news/5114032/reco ... nada-laws/
So maybe something similar applies here? Furthermore, you could argue that, though the phrasing sounds harsh, it could really just be having a staff member in the room. Appropriately equipped could include or exclude the idea of video or audio recording, but that's for OP to specify and even then it's not stated. Maybe we assume that employees wouldn't be appropriately equipped with recording devices? Maybe not. Perhaps it has to do with being appropriately equipped to handle the visit in some way.
Last edited by Lokkemand on Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives