NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Commend Auralia

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Eumaeus
Envoy

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Eumaeus » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:26 am

Fauxia wrote:
Eumaeus wrote:
For the sake of those following along at home, the incident being discussed can be found here.

Since you have all the links, it should be immediately obvious after reading them that this doesn’t have anything to do with Auralia or the resolution.

I remembered the incident being discussed, and neither remembered nor found any evidence of involvement by Auralia. I wasn’t sure if there was off-site involvement I was unaware of, which is why I did not outright say that Auralia was not involved. Instead I linked to the relevant thread so that others could examine the evidence for themselves and come to their own conclusions.
\▼/We Are Not the NSA\▼/

Raiding HistorySecurity CouncilDear NativesTWP Raid

"You ask my honorable name? My name is Nohbdy:
mother, father, and friends, everyone calls me Nohbdy."

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:31 am

Eumaeus wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Since you have all the links, it should be immediately obvious after reading them that this doesn’t have anything to do with Auralia or the resolution.

I remembered the incident being discussed, and neither remembered nor found any evidence of involvement by Auralia. I wasn’t sure if there was off-site involvement I was unaware of, which is why I did not outright say that Auralia was not involved. Instead I linked to the relevant thread so that others could examine the evidence for themselves and come to their own conclusions.

Thank you for doing so.

Praeceps
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Praeceps » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:55 am

United Massachusetts wrote:@Praeceps

Ah. I see. I misunderstood again. I remember that incident, but it's worth remembering that the question of legality was absolutely under dispute until the moderators weighed in. It's not that Auralia believed himself to be genuinely breaking the rules; it's that a ruling was made on a question that was quite controversial. We can critique the political move, but it's not really intentional rulebreaking.
Praeceps wrote:I hope you're not saying that my additional information is drivel?

No, no, no. Tim's points are. Thank you, Praetor -- I do appreciate your input, though I wish you had been a little less cryptic. :P

Sure, and I mentioned myself that that sort of rulebreaking isn't necessarily that big of a deal in most situations, I've replied to Auralia below why I think it matters more here.

I posted the links to the other threads here, I don't know how I could have possibly been less cryptic. :P
Auralia wrote:
Praeceps wrote:I really shouldn't have to be presenting information the author should have. Whether this information was not included out of not doing sufficient research on the nominee or willfully ignoring it, I don't know. This particular scenario is rather indicative of the nominee's character, especially when taken into account with their other actions.

I can imagine some supporters of Auralia will attempt to minimize this (or ignore it as was previously done) but saying that it was only a minor issue, rules for resolutions aren't always followed. That's certainly true and were that to be the extent of the case (such as referring to a nation as a person in the SC or a honest mistake in the GA), it wouldn't be a huge issue. The context here is important: a misrepresentation of the authorship. Wrapper back then pointed out why it was problematic so I will link you to their post.

This just further shows how Auralia has attempted to deceive others for their own benefit.

I really don't want to post in this thread, but you're accusing me of rulebreaking via "misrepresentation" so I feel I have to respond.

(a) The repeal you are referencing was found illegal for violating the "branding" rule, which is to prevent advertising regions or groups. It has nothing to do with misrepresentation -- quite the opposite, actually.

(b) The mods had actually ruled that the proposal did not violate the branding rule prior to it going to vote. They reversed their ruling a few days later.

(c) The repeal was not found illegal for "misrepresentation" (i.e. using the name and flag of the World Assembly). This practice was and continues to be legal.

(d) As I have already said:

Auralia wrote:...Glen-Rhodes and I will both attest to the fact that our intent in creating the "World Assembly Charter Working Group" nation was so that no one nation would "own" (so to speak) the GAR #2 repeal and replacement, not because we wanted to disguise the level of support for the proposal. I decided to use the WA logo because it seemed appropriate given the nation's purpose, not because I wanted to imply official status.

I will certainly concede that using the Working Group nation was a mistake, given the confusion it caused and the fact that submitting proposals under that nation turned out to be illegal under the branding rule. But I assure you we were acting in good faith...

I apologize if I came off as accusing you as "misrepresentation" that wasn't my intent, to respond to your point in (a) now.

I think there are once again two separate issues with this incident; my apologies if I conflated them.

1. The rule breaking of (b), this in of itself isn't that objectionable as I previously mentioned, I know it is a relatively frequent occurrence for rules to be broken accidentally whether that is, once again, a honest mistake in the GA or referring to a nation as a person in the SC. However, do note the violation was not in the resolution written but in the author's name.

2. What is the more objectionable part, is why the rule was broken. In most cases, the author is just trying to write a resolution and it is during this process that the rules are broken. In this case, the resolution was submitted under a different nation to give off some sort of perception. Now, I'm not going to make any judgements as to your motivations here for the name you chose. However, it is concerning that the chosen name would have given off the perception of the nation was more official than it really was.

I was not around during that resolution but I did read several of the pages. This is the first I've heard of GR being involved, I've seen in several places that you acted alone in creating the "group" nation.
Apparently simultaneously a Ravenclaw puppet, a NPO plant, and a Warden spy. I had no idea I was that good. Depending on who you ask, my aliases include Krulltopia.

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs for The North Pacific, Former Guildmaster of The North Pacific Cards Guild

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:03 am

Praeceps wrote:2. What is the more objectionable part, is why the rule was broken. In most cases, the author is just trying to write a resolution and it is during this process that the rules are broken. In this case, the resolution was submitted under a different nation to give off some sort of perception. Now, I'm not going to make any judgements as to your motivations here for the name you chose. However, it is concerning that the chosen name would have given off the perception of the nation was more official than it really was.

I don't see how it is any different from the WA mission puppets used by numerous other authors.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:09 am

Commending yourself with a puppet? Or pretending to be some official entity?
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Praeceps
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Praeceps » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:14 am

Aclion wrote:
Praeceps wrote:2. What is the more objectionable part, is why the rule was broken. In most cases, the author is just trying to write a resolution and it is during this process that the rules are broken. In this case, the resolution was submitted under a different nation to give off some sort of perception. Now, I'm not going to make any judgements as to your motivations here for the name you chose. However, it is concerning that the chosen name would have given off the perception of the nation was more official than it really was.

I don't see how it is any different from the WA mission puppets used by numerous other authors.

Really? A WA Mission puppet clearly shows who the puppet belongs to, hardly the case here.
Apparently simultaneously a Ravenclaw puppet, a NPO plant, and a Warden spy. I had no idea I was that good. Depending on who you ask, my aliases include Krulltopia.

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs for The North Pacific, Former Guildmaster of The North Pacific Cards Guild

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:15 am

Praeceps wrote:
Aclion wrote:I don't see how it is any different from the WA mission puppets used by numerous other authors.

Really? A WA Mission puppet clearly shows who the puppet belongs to, hardly the case here.

I agree with Praeceps on this point, actually. The cases are different, but Auralia's response remains right -- there was little indication it was illegal.

Armaros
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 06, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Postby Armaros » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:19 am

United Massachusetts wrote:
Tim-Opolis wrote:Additionally, let's not forget at Auralia's attempt at a UCR-based coup of the Game-Created Region Lazarus, him desiring to instill a theocratic region in one of the GCRs. Ain't keen on commending someone like that, man.

Also, "coup a GCR"? Lazarus was in anarchy, and no successor government had been announced. Also drivel.

Opportunists attempting to seize control over a divided GCR, still destabilised after the Khanate, are considered commendable now?
An average Jo.
LWU | TBH | Lazarus | TEP
My opinions are solely mine. I do not speak for regions I'm involved with unless stated otherwise.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:23 am

Armaros wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:Also, "coup a GCR"? Lazarus was in anarchy, and no successor government had been announced. Also drivel.

Opportunists attempting to seize control over a divided GCR, still destabilised after the Khanate, are considered commendable now?

Considering that Lazarus declared itself an anarchy and encouraged such behavior, seems okay to me.

It was also not that serious of an attempt.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Fulford
Secretary

Founded: May 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fulford » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:57 am

Auralia had used a puppet account to create and forge a commendation within the security council of the World Assembly many years ago, despite their efforts to apologize for their actions this still goes against the world assemblies rules and regulations (OOC: along with nationstates). We at Fulford hereby vote Against this resolution despite the good Auralia has given to the community going against rules and regulations has tarnished your reputation.
Fulford does not participate in NationStates stats and policies.

"We are United in diversity, Unity in Liberty!"
- Adam Salt, President of Fulford

Armaros
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Armaros » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:07 am

Fauxia wrote:
Armaros wrote:Opportunists attempting to seize control over a divided GCR, still destabilised after the Khanate, are considered commendable now?

Considering that Lazarus declared itself an anarchy and encouraged such behavior, seems okay to me.

So you're saying that "Lazarus is in anarchy... okay let me seize control of it and establish a Christian government" is perfectly fine?

And this is, for the record, at vote.
An average Jo.
My opinions are solely mine. I do not speak for regions I'm involved with unless stated otherwise.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:14 am

Praeceps wrote:
Aclion wrote:I don't see how it is any different from the WA mission puppets used by numerous other authors.

In this case the puppet was representative of a group so WA working group is a reasonable description.

Armaros wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Considering that Lazarus declared itself an anarchy and encouraged such behavior, seems okay to me.

So you're saying that "Lazarus is in anarchy... okay let me seize control of it and establish a Christian government" is perfectly fine?

Lazaruses whole deal in that period was that this WAS fine, in the hope that it would result in the formation of an organic government. You can argue all day over whether or not that was a good idea, but what Auralia was doing cannot reasonably be called a coup.
Last edited by Aclion on Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Eumaeus
Envoy

Founded: Jan 27, 2018

Postby Eumaeus » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:33 am

Fulford wrote:Auralia had used a puppet account to create and forge a commendation within the security council of the World Assembly many years ago, despite their efforts to apologize for their actions this still goes against the world assemblies rules and regulations (OOC: along with nationstates). We at Fulford hereby vote Against this resolution despite the good Auralia has given to the community going against rules and regulations has tarnished your reputation.

Just to clarify, it is neither against the rules to commend yourself nor to submit a proposal using a puppet; both are, however, breaches of widely accepted (and stringently enforced) Security Council etiquette.
\▼/We Are Not the NSA\▼/

Raiding HistorySecurity CouncilDear NativesTWP Raid

"You ask my honorable name? My name is Nohbdy:
mother, father, and friends, everyone calls me Nohbdy."

Praeceps
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Praeceps » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:37 am

Aclion wrote:
Praeceps wrote:Really? A WA Mission puppet clearly shows who the puppet belongs to, hardly the case here.

In this case the puppet was representative of a group so WA working group is a reasonable description.

I'm not sure what your point is. We weren't discussing whether the name of the puppet was a reasonable description. It was the difference between WA Mission puppets and the one the nominee used. If you think that from the name of the puppet used, you can tell that Auralia is behind it, you're welcome to explain that to me.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:56 am

Armaros wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Considering that Lazarus declared itself an anarchy and encouraged such behavior, seems okay to me.

What Aclion said. I don’t think you saw the “declared itself” part.

Here is the WFE from April 24, right after Imkiville became Delegate, when Auralia started doing this.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:11 pm

Armaros wrote:

Also, it's worth noting that while the planned government was to have a Christian/ancient Judean theme, it was not planning on having a theocratic government.

Armaros
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Armaros » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:35 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:
Armaros wrote:So you're saying that "Lazarus is in anarchy... okay let me seize control of it and establish a Christian government" is perfectly fine?

Also, it's worth noting that while the planned government was to have a Christian/ancient Judean theme, it was not planning on having a theocratic government.

Yet Auralia tried to argue that they would help the process by basically votestacking Lazarus with Christians.

As for “Lazarus did it to themselves!”, foreign subversives seeking to claim Lazarus for themselves because Lazarus proclaimed themselves an anarchy... does not make foreign subversives trying to claim Lazarus for themselves any less subversive or foreign.
An average Jo.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Armaros wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:Also, it's worth noting that while the planned government was to have a Christian/ancient Judean theme, it was not planning on having a theocratic government.

Yet Auralia tried to argue that they would help the process by basically votestacking Lazarus with Christians.

As for “Lazarus did it to themselves!”, foreign subversives seeking to claim Lazarus for themselves because Lazarus proclaimed themselves an anarchy... does not make foreign subversives trying to claim Lazarus for themselves any less subversive or foreign.

There was no government, pretty much every competitor was foreign, until the failed Constitutional Convention was begun (which Auralia did contribute to). And it was hardly subversive, considering you just linked to a public post discussing the idea.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Whatever designs Auralia & co had on Lazarus at the time were more-or-less encouraged by Imki (the aggregate of people just starting and spouting off about trying to take the region) and weren't any more bad than any of the other stuff floating around at the time (except in the actual idea).
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:34 pm

Armaros wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:Also, it's worth noting that while the planned government was to have a Christian/ancient Judean theme, it was not planning on having a theocratic government.

If you decree your region to be an anarchy, don't be surprised when people want to take advantage of it. It's only the same as the anarchy that existed in the new sinkers when they were founded.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:14 pm

For, obviously. Auralia has made greater contributions to this game than 99.99% of players.

Tim-Opolis wrote:
Praeceps wrote:I think in some cases the Predator situation would be different for some nations depending on the extent of their knowledge of the situation. Granted, most of them would probably be more likely due for a condemnation.

Damn straight. The big boys of Catholic more or less pressured an innocent noob into claiming he used Predator without him knowing what it was, and then basically acted like it wasn't their problem following that, continuously putting resolution of the matter off with claims that they're working on it and such. Here's the thing, it could have been solved in about an hour's time. Many of us literally told them what to do, with pretty fucking precise instructions.

It was, to be frank, some woefully embarrassing conduct from that crew.

Tim, you have no idea what you're talking about.

First, Texasa had nothing to do with Catholic. He was a Right to Life resident.

Second, Texasa falsely confessed to using Predator in order to gain "street cred." He wanted to build a reputation.

Third, after I convinced him to rescind his confession and after I wrote his appeal, the moderators lifted the ban.

Fourth, he thanked me by trying to hack several of my accounts on-site and off-site. At the time, I had an official position on this site, so the moderators decided to perma-ban Texasa. He tried circumventing the perma-ban, and his new nations were quickly deleted.

Texasa isn't an "innocent noob." He's a self-promoter and hacker who's been permanently banned from this site.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Jocospor
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Jocospor » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:54 am

OOC: If Auralia's attempt to self-commend is the only thing holding back everyone from voting for, give him the bloody badge. The player tried to do something that wasn't popular (a long time ago) - okay, sure. But look what the player has done during their time in NationStates.

It's already been said, but I want to echo this sentiment: there are plenty who've behaved worse than Auralia, and of those plenty many are respected by the NationStates community, only because they hide behind a false guise. (And I'm talking about OOC actions taken against players, not harmless IC self-commends). At least Auralia has a certain honest quality about them. I can respect that, and I think we all should too.
Last edited by Jocospor on Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
HAIL THE CONFEDERATION!
CONFEDERATION OF CORRUPT DICTATORS | IMPERIAL OFFICES
JOCOSPOR | CENTRAL IMPERIAL DIREKTORATE

The Shadow Cult is rising...

Armaros
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Armaros » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:22 am

Jocospor wrote:OOC: If Auralia's attempt to self-commend is the only thing holding back everyone from voting for, give him the bloody badge. The player tried to do something that wasn't popular (a long time ago) - okay, sure. But look what the player has done during their time in NationStates.

It's already been said, but I want to echo this sentiment: there are plenty who've behaved worse than Auralia, and of those plenty many are respected by the NationStates community, only because they hide behind a false guise. (And I'm talking about OOC actions taken against players, not harmless IC self-commends). At least Auralia has a certain honest quality about them. I can respect that, and I think we all should too.

Bold claim. Mind backing it up?

You seem to ignore the rulebreaking entirely.
An average Jo.

Roavin
Admin

Founded: Apr 07, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Roavin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:27 am

Jocospor wrote:OOC: If Auralia's attempt to self-commend is the only thing holding back everyone from voting for, give him the bloody badge. The player tried to do something that wasn't popular (a long time ago) - okay, sure. But look what the player has done during their time in NationStates.

Hate to agree with Jocospor but ... I agree with Jocospor. One thing 4 years ago that was unpopular (and against site rules) shouldn't drown out the immense GA work as well as a myriad of tools that are open source and available for the entire community to use.
Helpful Resources: One Stop Rules Shop | API documentation | NS Coders Discord
About me: Longest serving Prime Minister in TSP | Former First Warden of TGW | aka Curious Observations

Feel free to TG me, but not about moderation matters.

Jocospor
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Jocospor » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:37 am

Armaros wrote:

Bold claim. Mind backing it up?

You seem to ignore the rulebreaking entirely.

OOC: What claim would you like backed up? If it's Auralia's fulfilment for a commendation, see the proposal. If it's something else, this isn't the place for it. Slights against me aren't relevant here either.
Last edited by Jocospor on Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
HAIL THE CONFEDERATION!
CONFEDERATION OF CORRUPT DICTATORS | IMPERIAL OFFICES
JOCOSPOR | CENTRAL IMPERIAL DIREKTORATE

The Shadow Cult is rising...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives