NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Safeguarding Nuclear Materials

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Slavonia and Srijem wrote:I'm against this, world should totally get rid of WMD's.

"That is incredibly unlikely to ever happen."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Slavonia and Srijem wrote:I'm against this, world should totally get rid of WMD's.

"Unfortunately for your agenda, ambassador, that ship has sailed. Well, it's more of a flotilla. The lead ship of which is a dreadnought, an Orion class interplanetary strike cruiser, or a full on star destroyer, depending on your metaphorical technology levels."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:15 am

We cannot support this and will be urging others to vote against it when it reaches the floor. The Assembly's proclivity for insta-repeals is depressing enough. Repeating the process three times for the same proposal would be intolerable.

Verlzonia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Verlzonia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:17 am

Seems alright. Approved.
A Revolutionary, A Tyrant. My middle name is Controversy.

MY NATION DOES NOT REPRESENT MY VIEWS

PRO: Traditional Greco-Roman-Christian values, The Following of the Phostonkaiskotia, the True Path of Earthly Immortality, The Truth Path of Heavenly Immortality, The Truth Path of Secret Knowledge
ANTI: Degeneracy in all it's forms, The False Paths, Those who fight against the Phostonkaiskotia.

There are those who do not realize that one day we all must die. But those who do realize this settle their quarrels.Dp 6

Snakes13
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Snakes13 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:43 am

Question: Isn't this an exact duplicate of GA#10? Maybe the GenSec can review that and get back to me about it, I'm really unsure, but I think it covers the same basic points.

Snakes13 WA Division

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:11 am

Snakes13 wrote:Question: Isn't this an exact duplicate of GA#10? Maybe the GenSec can review that and get back to me about it, I'm really unsure, but I think it covers the same basic points.

Snakes13 WA Division

OOC: No, it's not; and no, it doesn't. If you read both resolutions, you understand that NAPA ensures nations the right to possess nuclear weapons, while this proposal deals with nuclear materials and the knowledge of how to use them for various ends (not just bomb-making).

No duplication to speak of.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hatterleigh » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:35 am

inbf ancaps get mad because they can't trade their McNukes with Bitcoins on the deep web stock market
✦ ✦ ✦ The Free Domain of Hatterleigh ✦ ✦ ✦
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

Hrvatska Republika Herceg Bosna
Civilian

Founded: Sep 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hrvatska Republika Herceg Bosna » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:00 am

It is very unlikely to happen, since every country needs protection. We support this.

Okolastan
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

wa

Postby Okolastan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:42 am

that would only work if Everyone did it which would not work.

Ermintia
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ermintia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:02 am

"Judging by the number of votes towards this already, I wouldn't trust the rest of the world to follow suit." deadpans Vice President H'juu Qwi. Meanwhile, Menna Tormenna, a journalist, struggles to figure out what is being discussed from outside.

Ermintia
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ermintia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:04 am

Scherzinger wrote:Finally, something we can agree on. We support this movement.

Qwi frowns. "It's too early to be assuming that the end result will be as agreed-upon as it is now."

Soyo Vax
Civilian

Founded: Oct 30, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Soyo Vax » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:49 am

Hello folks. My little state is new, and I'm rather new to this forum as well, so forgive any obvious transgressions here, but, as representative of a pacifist nation with no nukes, and a cultural abhorrence of the thought of them, I'm struggling to see the value of this resolution.

Here's a perhaps naïve question: are we creating legislation to guide our behaviour, or are we creating it to mirror our behaviour? If the latter, what's the point? If, in the absence of this resolution, nations are free to do what they want with nuclear materials and information, what does this resolution gain us? And, if the former, well, I'm adamantly opposed to it. The world needs no encouragement to make WMDs.

If we're trying to limit the proliferation of nukes, and perhaps of irresponsible use of nuclear materials in general, why doesn't this resolution just do that? Why do we need, insanely, to affirm the right to do something that we don't want done? Sure, we don't want crazies to have big bombs, but how does affirming everyone's right to them help that?

Perhaps this has all been debated to death and resolved somewhere in the past, and if only I spent the interminable time poring through all the old meeting minutes I'd know, but barring that, can someone catch me up on this?

Until I can see the sense of this resolution, my vote will stay at 'no'.
Last edited by Soyo Vax on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:31 pm

Soyo Vax wrote:Hello folks. My little state is new, and I'm rather new to this forum as well, so forgive any obvious transgressions here, but, as representative of a pacifist nation with no nukes, and a cultural abhorrence of the thought of them, I'm struggling to see the value of this resolution.

Here's a perhaps naïve question: are we creating legislation to guide our behaviour, or are we creating it to mirror our behaviour? If the latter, what's the point? If, in the absence of this resolution, nations are free to do what they want with nuclear materials and information, what does this resolution gain us? And, if the former, well, I'm adamantly opposed to it. The world needs no encouragement to make WMDs.

If we're trying to limit the proliferation of nukes, and perhaps of irresponsible use of nuclear materials in general, why doesn't this resolution just do that? Why do we need, insanely, to affirm the right to do something that we don't want done? Sure, we don't want crazies to have big bombs, but how does affirming everyone's right to them help that?

Perhaps this has all been debated to death and resolved somewhere in the past, and if only I spent the interminable time poring through all the old meeting minutes I'd know, but barring that, can someone catch me up on this?

Until I can see the sense of this resolution, my vote will stay at 'no'.

"We are preventing disarmament. If you do not wish to use such weapons, the C.D.S.P. invites you not to. The only way the C.D.S.P. will be disarmed is by using up it's stockpile in a fiery apocalypse."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

United North American Commonwealths
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United North American Commonwealths » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
(Image)
Safeguarding Nuclear Materials
Category: International Security | Strength: Mild

The World Assembly,

Understanding that there are more than six times more non-WA nations than member nations,

Noting that those nations do not have limits on their nuclear arsenals, use conditions, or any restrictions on nuclear arms whatsoever, thereby putting member nations at a considerable military disadvantage against their nearly-unlimited power,

Observing that radical elements of the Assembly could ban the manufacture of nuclear weapons after the repeal of 391 GA 'Securing Nuclear Materials from Dastardly Menaces' and 351 GA 'Nuclear Material Safeguards', meaning that a single legislative mistake could destroy us, and

Giving credence to the necessity of clause 5, as non-inclusion would lead to nuclear materials being unprotected in state collapse, creating a proliferation crisis, in which the purveyors of loose nukes must not become nuclear powers, hereby:

1. Affirms the right of member nations to possess nuclear weapons and to use them in the case that they are attacked by hostile forces;

2. Maintains the right of member nations to manufacture and trade nuclear weapons or reactors, to possess the materials required in such manufacture, and to acquire the materials required in such manufacture;

3. Maintains the right of member nations to have knowledge of the manufacture and trade of nuclear weapons or reactors, to possess such knowledge, and to acquire such knowledge;

4. Mandates that member nations take all practical actions to stop unauthorised release of the materials or disclosure of the knowledge spoken of in the above two clauses; and

5. Directs, should no future legislation require otherwise, the Nuclear Energy Safety Commission to ensure that nuclear armaments, materials, and knowledge are secured from weaponisation by providing material assistance and phase-out assistance to nations unable to defend their own nuclear knowledge and technology.

we strictly oppose this proposal because it would hurt are efforts to reduce nuclear stockpiles for a more peaceful world.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:22 pm

"We support this proposal. In a world where madmen can destroy nations at a push of a button, it's nice to know the Assembly stands with the sane, free nations of the world in their fight against tyranny."

Skymoot
Attaché

Founded: Feb 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Skymoot » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:49 pm

Xascaster Flisk drags himself into the debate. The older GA #10 resolution clutched in one hand, and the proposal in the other.

Xascaster Flisk: I apologize for a delay in any response. I had no intention of shooting my mouth off while my brain was half-cocked, and myself furious from overheated discussion. I, like Snakes13, initially believed that this resolution was a duplicate of GA #10. I've learned from the past, that I shouldn't speak while angry. So after reading this discussion as it unfolded, I took a break to cool down before coming here tonight. The debates between Snakes13 and Sierra Lyricalia reflect my own worries.
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Snakes13 wrote:Question: Isn't this an exact duplicate of GA#10? Maybe the GenSec can review that and get back to me about it, I'm really unsure, but I think it covers the same basic points.

Snakes13 WA Division

OOC: No, it's not; and no, it doesn't. If you read both resolutions, you understand that NAPA ensures nations the right to possess nuclear weapons, while this proposal deals with nuclear materials and the knowledge of how to use them for various ends (not just bomb-making).

No duplication to speak of.

I've also read over both GA #10 and this proposal to better understand the discussion and my view, and I still have my concerns.

First, to calm everyone, Skymoot will vote for this resolution. Simply because, dear gentlemen, ladies, intelligent lifeforms, we already have. This resolution expands on GA #10's focus of nuclear weapons by proposing what to do about the materials needed for said nuclear weapons. This resolution does this in a way that is not infringing GA rules (such as creating resolutions that are dependent on previous resolutions or copying past resolutions). So as a result, while not completely copying GA #10, this resolution is legal, to answer Snakes13 and my own worries.

However, this turns me to Sierra. I have my concerns over your statement: "No duplication to speak of." While the resolutions do not speak of the same items (nuclear weapons versus the materials needed for said weapons, respectably), the wording is eerily similar. You could swap the two topics of the resolutions around, and they'd feel right at home. For a few examples of this eerily similar wording, I'd like to direct to...

GA #10, in revelations: "REALIZING that WA members are outnumbered by non members by about 3 to 1..."

This proposal, in revelations: "Understanding that there are more than six times more non-WA nations than member nations..."

GA #10, section 1: "DECLARES that WA members are allowed to possess nuclear weapons to defend themselves from hostile nations..."

This proposal, section 1: "Affirms the right of member nations to possess nuclear weapons and to use them in the case that they are attacked by hostile forces..."

GA #10, section 3: "REQUIRES that any nation choosing to possess nuclear weapons take every available precaution to ensure that their weapons do not fall into the wrong hands."

This proposal, section 4: "Mandates that member nations take all practical actions to stop unauthorized release of the materials or disclosure of the knowledge spoken of in the above two clauses..."

With these examples, it's hard to say that there is, quote: "No duplication to speak of." While these two resolutions do not duplicate the same topic, and thus are legal in the eyes of GA law, they do duplicate their wording. Simply put. Both sides are correct. Yes, the resolution copied elements of GA #10, but as Sierra puts it: "NAPA (GA #10) ensures nations the right to possess nuclear weapons, while this proposal deals with nuclear materials and the knowledge of how to use them for various ends (not just bomb-making)." So as a result, it's legal for the GA.

This finally brings me to our valuable author, imperium_anglorum. Being the past author of 19 (and by the looks of this voting, soon to be 20) GA resolutions, we'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who so dedicates their time to the World Assembly. But, to speak frankly here, next time you write up a GA resolution... please reword the resolutions if they sound similar to past works. I was about to go off like Snakes13 about this resolution had I not kept my mouth shut and watched the discussion unfold.

... So yes. To reaffirm, Skymoot will vote for this resolution, as we see it as an extension of GA #10. We already comply with GA #10, so to add onto GA #10 with this proposal will be no worry for the people of Skymoot. I wish everyone a great night, week, and future.

With a sigh, Xascaster Flisk selects the "For" vote on the Skymootian desk.
Skymoot News Center: Towns welcome fireless steam engine future as railway lines bring jobs, tourists, and angry commuters | Hoogeloon City first in country to offer Skymoot Dragon Taming classes in universities | Grungy Glampers? National park rangers troubled by rising waste from new 'glamping' trend.| The "TWP Dragon" & the "Dragon Dragoon" brigade to be awarded for curing 130+ nations during Z-Day 2017. |||

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:31 pm

Skymoot wrote:But, to speak frankly here, next time you write up a GA resolution... please reword the resolutions if they sound similar to past works.

OOC: I think you may want to look at the two resolutions cited in the preamble. You will see extreme similarities with them. Wink.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Skymoot
Attaché

Founded: Feb 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Skymoot » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Skymoot wrote:But, to speak frankly here, next time you write up a GA resolution... please reword the resolutions if they sound similar to past works.

OOC: I think you may want to look at the two resolutions cited in the preamble. You will see extreme similarities with them. Wink.

OOC: Yes I do. However the issue I had was with the similarities of this resolution to GA #10. It's hard to really argue about those past ones when they've already been struck out by a repeal. Lol but yes, I do see that reoccurring theme.
Skymoot News Center: Towns welcome fireless steam engine future as railway lines bring jobs, tourists, and angry commuters | Hoogeloon City first in country to offer Skymoot Dragon Taming classes in universities | Grungy Glampers? National park rangers troubled by rising waste from new 'glamping' trend.| The "TWP Dragon" & the "Dragon Dragoon" brigade to be awarded for curing 130+ nations during Z-Day 2017. |||

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Fairburn: There is nothing in this proposal about securing these materials from dastardly menaces. Opposed.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 pm

We obviously stand opposed to this horrendous and utterly idiotic excuse for a proposal, not surprising for IA to have written.

The worst part was the completely stupid phrasing of "member nations have the right" NATIONS DO NOT HAVE RIGHTS, only individuals have rights.

Strongly against this disgusting and vile declaration of Statist violence.
NationStates would be better without moderators policing profanity and other non-violent behavior.

Please visit FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever!

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:13 pm

FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever wrote:We obviously stand opposed to this horrendous and utterly idiotic excuse for a proposal, not surprising for IA to have written.

The worst part was the completely stupid phrasing of "member nations have the right" NATIONS DO NOT HAVE RIGHTS, only individuals have rights.

Strongly against this disgusting and vile declaration of Statist violence.

Well, the resolution is bad and ought to be opposed, but member states most certainly have rights. Rights are not exclusive to individuals.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:17 pm

Wallenburg wrote:Rights are not exclusive to individuals.

:rofl:
NationStates would be better without moderators policing profanity and other non-violent behavior.

Please visit FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever!

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:24 pm

FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:Rights are not exclusive to individuals.

:rofl:

I'm not joking. Consult GAR#2, for instance, as well as the countless other resolutions granting member states rights.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:02 pm

Wallenburg wrote:
FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever wrote: :rofl:

I'm not joking. Consult GAR#2, for instance, as well as the countless other resolutions granting member states rights.

OOC: Plus, entities get rights all the time. Pretending only individuals have rights is to be willfully ignorant of how the legal world works.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives