NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Prevention of Wildfires

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

What title should I use for this proposal?

Poll ended at Fri May 16, 2014 8:20 am

Reduce Unwanted Forest Fires
3
14%
Prevention of Wildfires
13
62%
Convention on Fire Fighting
3
14%
something else, specified in your post
2
10%
 
Total votes : 21

User avatar
Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat
 
Posts: 830
Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

[PASSED] Prevention of Wildfires

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:55 am

"So, anyhows, we have here my government's latest draft proposal for your perusal. The current version should be just inside the maximum length allowed."


Fifth draft

(13th June)

(I’ve already asked for a Modly ruling on the legality of the “price” that the WADB should charge any non-member nations who are interested for its services in this respect.)
(Yes, I do realise that some of you might oppose the idea of letting non-members benefit
at all from GA resolutions, but having them [voluntarily] comply with this proposed resolution’s terms — as a part of the price for those benefits — would be in members’ best interests too….)



Prevention of Wildfires

Category:
International Security
Strength: Mild


Description: The World Assembly,

Rejoicing that many nations include not only urban areas and farmland but also wide expanses of natural or at least semi-natural habitats too,

Realising that although most nations probably have fairly adequate measures in place for controlling fires in urban areas some might not yet have extended those systems to cover their more rural areas effectively too, and that the best ways for managing fires in rural areas — especially in wilderness — may differ from those useful at more urban sites anyway,

Aware that wide areas of vegetation (especially those of woodland, such as may be called ‘forests’) are often likely to contain large amounts of combustible material, leading to serious risks that any fires started there might spread uncontrollably and cause significant damage,

Wise to the fact that natural fire can be an integral and even important factor in some ecosystems, and that even in ‘wild’ areas where that is not the case carrying out controlled burns of limited extent to reduce potential fuel levels for unplanned fires may be a better policy than simply trying to prevent all fires there altogether,

Regarding this as an ‘international’ enough topic for WA legislation because even when a fire itself does not cross international borders the smoke-clouds from it may do so, maybeso with seriously harmful results, as well as for the potential effects on global environments and endangered species;

Hereby,

1). Instructs all member nations to:
i/ Have and enforce, across all of their territory, laws against both reckless fire-starting and the deliberate starting of inadequately controllable fires;
ii/ Have suitable plans, with the necessary personnel and equipment for those, in place for managing fires everywhere within their borders, to the best extent practical within reason;
iii/ Ensure that the relevant people in any other nations likely to be significantly affected are given reasonable notice of planned fires and, as far as is practical within reason, arrange those fires for mutually agreed dates;
iv/ Ensure that the relevant people in any other nations likely to be significantly affected are also notified of any unplanned fires that are identified;
v/ Refrain from the use of uncontrolled fire as a weapon or tool of war in wilderness and semi-wilderness areas, and in any other places from which the fires would be likely to spread into such areas.

2). Encourages member nations to:
i/ Include the safe handling of Fire at a basic level in their educational syllabuses;
ii/ Coordinate plans for controlling fire in border areas with relevant neighbours;
iii/ Cross-train suitable units and individual volunteers from their armed forces in fire-fighting, and position suitable equipment ready for their use, so that when not actually needed for more martial duties they can assist in this work; and deploy other units with relevant skills and equipment to assist in fire-management efforts as appropriate.

3). Instructs the WA Disaster Board to study and to distribute as appropriate information about fire hazards and fire-control methods; urges member nations to share all relevant data that they possess with the WADB; and offers this service to any non-WA nations that are interested (and are willing to pay reasonable fees, share their relevant date with the WADB, and meet clause #1’s terms to the same extent that would be necessary if they were WA members) too.




Changes from the fourth draft:

In accordance with your suggestions _

The clauses now begin with a wider range of letters.
The sub-clause on warning neighbours about planned fires has been re-written for [hopefully] greater clarity.
A sub-clause on warning neighbours about unplanned fires that could affect them has been added.
More of the references to “fighting” fire have been replaced with references to “controlling” or “managing” it.
The WA Disaster Board is now referred to (when first mentioned) by that name, rather than just by its initials.

And also _

The perambulatory clauses have had their order re-arranged.
The wording has been changed further in various places to save on characters whilst [hopefully] keeping the same actual meaning.


Prevention of Wildfires
Reduce Unwanted Forest Fires


Category:
International Security
Strength: Mild


Description: The World Assembly,

Rejoicing that many nations possess not only urban areas and farmland but wide expanses of woodland and other natural or semi-natural habitats too,

Recognising that extensive areas of vegetation — particularly wide areas of woodland, such as are sometimes called ‘forests’ — are often likely to contain large amounts of combustible material, resulting in a serious risk that any fires started there might spread uncontrollably and cause significant damage,

Regretting that, although most nations are likely to have fairly adequate measures in place for controlling fires in urban areas, some might not yet have extended their fire-fighting plans and procedures to cover their rural areas effectively too,

Realising that the skills and tools desirable for fighting fires effectively in rural areas, especially wilderness, may differ somewhat from those useful in more urban locales,

Realising too that natural fires can be an integral and even important aspect of some ecosystems, and that even in situations where that is not the case carrying out controlled burns in limited areas occasionally to reduce levels of potential fuel for future fires may be a better plan than simply trying to prevent all fires whatsoever in those areas,

Regarding this as an ‘international’ enough subject for WA legislation because even when fires themselves do not cross international borders the clouds of smoke from them may do so, possibly causing problems on the other side, as well as for the potential effects on global environments and endangered species;

Hereby,

1). Requires that all member nations:
i/ Have and enforce, across all of their territory, laws against both reckless fire-starting and the deliberate starting of inadequately controllable fires;
ii/ Have suitable plans, with the necessary personnel and equipment for those, in place for managing fires everywhere within their borders, even in wildernesses, to the best extent practical within reason;
iii/ Ensure that the relevant people in nearby nations are given reasonable notice of any planned fires that are likely to have significant cross-border effects and, to the best extent practical within reason, arrange those fires for mutually acceptable dates;
iv/ Refrain from the use of uncontrolled fire as a weapon or tool of war in wilderness and semi-wilderness areas, and in any other places from which the fires would be likely to spread into such areas.

2). Recommends that member nations:
i/ Include the safe handling of fire at a basic level in their educational syllabuses;
ii/ Coordinate plans for controlling fire in border areas with the relevant neighbours;
iii/ Cross-train suitable units and individual volunteers from their armed forces in fire-fighting, and have suitable equipment available for those people to use for this, so that when not actually needed in more martial roles they can assist whatever other fire-fighters the nation has; and deploy other units with relevant skills and equipment to assist fire-prevention and fire-fighting efforts as appropriate.

3). Gives WADB the extra role of studying and disseminating information about fire hazards and fire-fighting methods; urges all member nations to share all relevant information they possess with this agency; and also offers the agency’s services in this role (in exchange for reasonable fees, to be negotiated, and the donation of any relevant data) to any non-WA nations that are interested too.


Changes from third draft: Sub-clause '1.i' modified in accordance with sugegstion from Ransium; minor changes elsewhere to reduce length [as was necessary] without changing the meaning.


[spoiler=Third draft]
Reduce Unwanted Forest Fires

Category:
International Security
Strength: Mild


Description: The World Assembly,

Rejoicing that many nations possess not only urban areas and farmland but wide expanses of woodland and other natural or semi-natural habitats too,

Recognising that extensive areas of vegetation — particularly wide areas of woodland, such as are sometimes called ‘forests’ — are often likely to contain large amounts of combustible material, resulting in a serious risk that any fires started there might spread uncontrollably and cause significant damage,

Regretting that, although most nations are likely to have fairly adequate measures in place for controlling fires in urban areas, some might not yet have extended their fire-fighting plans and procedures to cover their rural areas effectively too,

Realising that the skills and tools desirable for fighting fires effectively in rural areas, especially wilderness, may differ somewhat from those useful in more urban locales,

Realising too that natural fires can be an integral and even important aspect of some ecosystems, and that even in situations where that is not the case carrying out controlled burns in limited areas occasionally to reduce levels of potential fuel for future fires may be a better plan than simply trying to prevent all fires whatsoever in those areas,

Regarding this as an ‘international’ enough subject for WA legislation because even when fires themselves do not cross international borders the clouds of smoke from them may do so, possibly causing problems on the other side, as well as for the potential effects on global environments and endangered species;

Hereby,

1). Requires that all member nations:
i/ Have and enforce, across all of their territory, laws against both the deliberate and the reckless starting of inadequately controlled fires;
ii/ Have suitable plans, with the necessary personnel and equipment for those, in place for managing fires everywhere within their borders, even in wildernesses, to the best extent practical within reason;

iii/ Ensure that the relevant people in nearby nations are given reasonable notice of any planned fires that are likely to have significant cross-border effects and, to the best extent practical within reason, arrange those fires for mutually acceptable dates;
iv/ Refrain from the use of uncontrolled fire as a weapon of war in wilderness and semi-wilderness areas, and in any other places from which the fires would be likely to spread into such areas.

2). Recommends that member nations:
i/ Include the safe handling of fire at a basic level in their educational syllabuses;
ii/ Coordinate plans for fighting fires in border areas with the relevant neighbours;
iii/ Cross-train suitable units and individual volunteers from their armed forces in fire-fighting, and have suitable equipment available for those people to use in this role, so that if & when not actually needed for more martial duties they can assist whatever other fire-fighters the nation has in this work; and deploy other units with relevant skills and equipment to assist fire-prevention and fire-fighting efforts as appropriate.

3). Gives WADB the extra role of studying and disseminating information about fire hazards and fire-fighting methods; urges all member nations to share all relevant information they possess with this agency; and also offers the agency’s services in this role (in exchange for reasonable fees, to be negotiated, and the donation of any relevant data) to any non-WA nations that are interested too.


Changes from second draft_
Fifth preambulatory clause re-written;
In clause #1, subclauses ii & iii, "possible within reason" replaced by "practical within reason";
also in clause #1, subclause 'ii' now requires plans only for managing[/u[ fires rather than specifically for [u]fighting them, to allow for [e.g.] situations where letting the fires burn themselves out is actually the best plan, and personnel and equipment only as necessary for those plans.


Reduce Unwanted Forest Fires

Category:
International Security
Strength: Mild


Description: The World Assembly,

Rejoicing that many nations possess not only urban areas and farmland but wide expanses of woodland and other natural or semi-natural habitats too,

Recognising that extensive areas of vegetation — particularly wide areas of woodland, such as are sometimes called ‘forests’ — are often likely to contain large amounts of combustible material, resulting in a serious risk that any fires started there might spread uncontrollably and cause significant damage,

Regretting that, although most nations are likely to have fairly adequate measures in place for controlling fires in urban areas, some might not yet have extended their fire-fighting plans and procedures to cover their rural areas effectively too,

Realising that the skills and tools desirable for fighting fires effectively in rural areas, especially wilderness, may differ somewhat from those useful in more urban locales,

Realising too that in some cases carrying out occasional controlled burns in limited areas to reduce levels of potential fuel for wildfires is a better plan than simply trying to prevent all fires whatsoever in those areas, and that some species actually require occasional fires in order to complete their life-cycles successfully,

Regarding this as an ‘international’ enough subject for WA legislation because even when fires themselves do not cross international borders the clouds of smoke from them may do so, possibly causing problems on the other side, as well as for the potential effects on global environments and endangered species;

Hereby,

1). Requires that all member nations:
i/ Have and enforce, across all of their territory, laws against both the deliberate and the reckless starting of inadequately controlled fires;
ii/ Have suitable plans, personnel and equipment in place for fighting fires everywhere within their borders, even in wildernesses, to the best extent possible within reason;
iii/ Ensure that the relevant people in nearby nations are given reasonable notice of any planned fires that are likely to have significant cross-border effects and, to the best extent possible within reason, arrange those fires for mutually acceptable dates;
iv/ Refrain from the use of uncontrolled fire as a weapon of war in wilderness and semi-wilderness areas, and in any other places from which the fires would be likely to spread into such areas.

2). Recommends that member nations:
i/ Include the safe handling of fire at a basic level in their educational syllabuses;
ii/ Coordinate plans for fighting fires in border areas with the relevant neighbours;
iii/ Cross-train suitable units and individual volunteers from their armed forces in fire-fighting, and have suitable equipment available for those people to use in this role, so that if & when not actually needed for more martial duties they can assist whatever other fire-fighters the nation has in this work; and deploy other units with relevant skills and equipment to assist fire-prevention and fire-fighting efforts as appropriate.

3). Gives WADB the extra role of studying and disseminating information about fire hazards and fire-fighting methods; urges all member nations to share all relevant information they possess with this agency; and also offers the agency’s services in this role (in exchange for reasonable fees, to be negotiated, and the donation of any relevant data) to any non-WA nations that are interested too.


Changes from the first draft: Wording condensed to fit within the limit possible. Sub-clause ‘2.i’ loses some of its recommendations (for practical reasons, as well as due to the overall need for shortening), clause ‘3’ now uses the existing agency ‘WADB’ rather than creating a new one (‘WAFT’)… and now it isn’t quite every clause and sub-clause that begins with an “R”.



Reduce Unwanted Forest Fires

Category:
International Security
Strength: Mild


Description: The World Assembly,
Rejoicing in the fact that many nations possess not only urban areas and farmland but wide expanses of woodland and other natural or semi-natural habitats as well,

Recognising that extensive areas of vegetation — particularly extensive areas of woodland, such as are sometimes called ‘forests’ — are commonly likely to contain large amounts of combustible material, resulting in a serious risk that any fires started in them might spread out of control and cause extensive damage,

Regretting that, although any nations with reasonable governments are likely to have fairly adequate measures in place for controlling fires in urban areas, some nations might not yet have extended their fire-fighting plans and procedures to cover their rural areas effectively as well,

Realising that the skills and tools necessary for fighting fires effectively in rural areas, particularly in wilderness, may differ to some extent from those useful in more urbanised districts,

Realising also that in some cases carrying out occasional controlled burns in limited areas to reduce the levels of potential fuel for wildfires may be a better strategy than simply trying to prevent all fires whatsoever in vegetated areas, and that some species actually require occasional fires anyhows in order to complete their life-cycles successfully,

Regarding this as an ‘international’ enough subject to be worthy of legislation by this organisation because even when fires themselves do not cross international borders the clouds of smoke from them may do so, possibly causing problems on the other side, as well as because of the potential effects on global environments and endangered species;

Hereby,
1). Requires that all member nations:
i/ Have and enforce, across all of their territory, laws against both the deliberate and the reckless starting of inadequately controlled fires;
ii/ Have suitable plans, personnel and equipment in place for fighting fires everywhere within their territory, even in wilderness areas, to the best extent that is possible within reason;
iii/ Ensure that the relevant people in neighbouring nations are given reasonable notice of any planned fires that are likely to have significant cross-border effects and, to the best extent that is possible within reason, arrange those fires for dates that are acceptable to those people;
iv/ Refrain from the use of uncontrolled fire as a weapon of war in wilderness and semi-wilderness areas, and in any other locations from which the burning would be likely to spread into such areas.

2). Recommends that all member nations:
i/ Include the safe handling of fire at a basic level in their educational syllabuses, and make having completed this training successfully a legal prerequisite for adults to dwell or even to camp within any environments where the risk that fires might spread uncontrollably is significant;
ii/ Coordinate plans for fighting fires in border areas with the relevant neighbours;
iii/ Cross-train suitable units and individual volunteers from their armed forces in fire-fighting, and have suitable equipment available for those personnel to use in that role, so that if & when not actually required for military duties they can assist whatever other fire-fighters the nation has in this work; and also deploy other units with relevant skills and equipment to assist in fire-prevention and fire-fighting efforts as appropriate.

3). Raises into being a new agency that is called the ‘World Assembly Fire Trust’ (or ‘WAFT’), under the auspices of WASP, to study and disseminate information about fire hazards and fire-fighting methods; urges all member nations to share whatever relevant information they possess with this agency; and also offers this agency’s services (in exchange for reasonable fees, on a negotiable basis, and the donation of any relevant data) to any non-member nations that are interested as well.



Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly
for
The High Council of Clans,
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed.
Last edited by Mousebumples on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 19 times in total.
This is the WA Mission of Bears Armed, but is technically defined as a separate nation in its own right for all legal purposes. Population = sixty-four seventy-two staff, plus some dependents.

GA Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

User avatar
Zmaier
Secretary
 
Posts: 38
Founded: Jan 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zmaier » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:40 am

The nation of Zmaier can see the reason behind this resolution. However unless the forest fires cross international boarders, these natual disasters are a nation issue and the WA should not be putting themselves into this.
OOC: this reso would be like califonia having a forest fire and the UN going "We need to help the US"...
O tempora, o mores! Senatus haec intellegit. Consul videt; hic tamen vivit. Vivit? immo vero etiam in senatum venit, fit publici consilii particeps, notat et designat oculis ad caedem unum quemque nostrum. Nos autem fortes viri satis facere rei publicae videmur, si istius furorem ac tela vitemus. Ad mortem te, Catilina, duci iussu consulis iam pridem oportebat, in te conferri pestem, quam tu in nos [omnes iam diu] machinaris.

User avatar
The Dark Star Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 4339
Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:58 am

"Are you absolutely set on naming your committee 'WAFT', or would you consider either using an existing agency (the WADB) or using a different name?

"In general, we see a lot of this as lacking a real transnational impact, despite the efforts of the preamble to claim otherwise, but we're not wholly opposed; committee names of this type are, however, dealbreakers for us."

~ Ambassador to the WA Inky Fungschlammer

User avatar
Sierra Lyricalia
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 3408
Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:10 am

Zmaier wrote:OOC: this reso would be like califonia having a forest fire and the UN going "We need to help the US"...


OOC:
...or like a few years back when forests in Quebec caught fire and sent smoke over half of New England as a result? That the kind of thing you're talking about?

I'll have a deeper look at the resolution later on, but one thing that jumped out immediately: 1) i/ requires that we prosecute for the "starting of inadequately uncontrolled fires"... so if it doesn't rage totally out of control and displace tens of thousands, you're in prison, but if it does, well, congratulations on a job well done. :lol:
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral, The Red Fleet
Stephanie Athena Zakalwe
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
S.L. Ambassador to the World Assembly
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Leonid Berkman Pavonis,
Ideological Deviant, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Ambassador-At-Large
Illustrious Bum #279



User avatar
Draica
Senator
 
Posts: 4689
Founded: Feb 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Draica » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:20 am

Tung sighs for a moment with his head burried in his hands. He then looks up and takes his podium.

"Ladies and gentlemen, when we've gotten to the point where walking, talking bears want to try and tame "forest fires" with REGULATIONS, we know we've gotten insane. What if someone drops a match or a lit cigarette and completely disobeys this law? Bye bye, forest.

OPPOSED, OPPOSED,OPPOSED!"
Draica is a Federal Republic nation ran by conservatives and Libertarians! If you ever wanna rp a state visit, a war, a debate with one of my leaders or a conservative/libertarian philosopher, or just wanna tg me in general(I like TGs) drop me a TG!
Allies: Pantorrum, Korgenstin, Zebraltar, Kiribati-Tarawa, Democratic Sabha. Idoa, Allaena, Lledia.
Enemies: Arkania 5, any communist nation, Drakorvanyia.
Wars:

The Draican-Arkanian war: On-going

The Waldensian-Draican-Kiribati Cold War: Won. Dissolution of Communist Government in Waldensia

The Draican-Die erworbenen Namen war: Draica successfully defended, retaliation called off.

User avatar
Mallorea and Riva
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 9262
Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:38 am

Zakath's eyes narrowed as he read the draft of the resolution

Why does every clause start with the letter R?
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Major and Field Marshal of The Black Hawks
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Jakker, Tal, and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: "I don't think chatting with someone over the Internet about casual topics falls under faithful or unfaithful. :<"

User avatar
The Dark Star Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 4339
Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:40 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Zakath's eyes narrowed as he read the draft of the resolution

Why does every clause start with the letter R?

"Excellent spot.

"Count my opposition as doubled."

~ Ambassador to the WA Inky Fungschlammer

User avatar
Wrapper
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 5899
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Wrapper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:58 am

Draica wrote:Tung sighs for a moment with his head burried in his hands. He then looks up and takes his podium.

"Ladies and gentlemen, when we've gotten to the point where walking, talking bears want to try and tame "forest fires" with REGULATIONS, we know we've gotten insane. What if someone drops a match or a lit cigarette and completely disobeys this law? Bye bye, forest.

OPPOSED, OPPOSED,OPPOSED!"

Er... because... only you can prevent forest fires?
Last edited by Wrapper on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat
 
Posts: 830
Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:09 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"Are you absolutely set on naming your committee 'WAFT', or would you consider either using an existing agency (the WADB) or using a different name?

"In general, we see a lot of this as lacking a real transnational impact, despite the efforts of the preamble to claim otherwise, but we're not wholly opposed; committee names of this type are, however, dealbreakers for us."

"Hr'rmm, I suppose we could use WADB here, instead."

(OOC: To be honest, I couldn't remember whether there was already a suitable agency... and now, having checked the resolution that created the WADB, I'm going to have to think about whether we have too much duplication of function here.)

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: ...or like a few years back when forests in Quebec caught fire and sent smoke over half of New England as a result? That the kind of thing you're talking about?

OOC: and in RL there was also a situation, some years back, when fires started for forest-clearance in Indonesia created a larrrge cloud of smoke that crossed international borders and caused problems. Plus,for example, there are some quite substantial areas of forest where the tree cover is continuous across the USA-Canada border and a blaze that starts in one of those countries could easily spread across that boundary itself -- not just the smoke but the actual conflagration, too -- if not stopped by peoples' efforts.

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:I'll have a deeper look at the resolution later on, but one thing that jumped out immediately: 1) i/ requires that we prosecute for the "starting of inadequately uncontrolled fires"... so if it doesn't rage totally out of control and displace tens of thousands, you're in prison, but if it does, well, congratulations on a job well done. :lol:
OOC: Oops! Typo. Fixed.

Draica wrote:"Ladies and gentlemen, when we've gotten to the point where walking, talking bears want to try and tame "forest fires" with REGULATIONS, we know we've gotten insane. What if someone drops a match or a lit cigarette and completely disobeys this law? Bye bye, forest.

OPPOSED, OPPOSED,OPPOSED!"
:roll:
"So your argument against this proposal boils down to "Because some individuals might might ignore the law, we shouldn't have a law at all"? Do you and your government extend that principle to cover all of the other possible activities -- such as murder, rape, or theft, for example -- where some people might ignore rrelevant laws?"

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Why does every clause start with the letter R?

"Ur'rmm...
"I suppose probably because the Ursine word for
'Fire', hwhich is 'Rrawr', does so. However if this detail seems likely to cost urrs significant levels of support then changing the words would obviously be possible."


Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
This is the WA Mission of Bears Armed, but is technically defined as a separate nation in its own right for all legal purposes. Population = sixty-four seventy-two staff, plus some dependents.

GA Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

User avatar
The Dark Star Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 4339
Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:14 am

Bears Armed Mission wrote:"So your argument against this proposal boils down to "Because some individuals might might ignore the law, we shouldn't have a law at all"? Do you and your government extend that principle to cover all of the other possible activities -- such as murder, rape, or theft, for example -- where some people might ignore rrelevant laws?"


"Without banging the national sovereignty drum too loud, though, there aren't WA laws against murder, rape, or theft; so requiring one for arson seems an odd move."

~ Ambassador to the WA Inky Fungschlammer

User avatar
Defwa
Minister
 
Posts: 2598
Founded: Feb 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Defwa » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:25 am

Minimally invasive flexible language. You have my support.

However, we would be amicable to the addition of at least a recommendation for use of controlled burns and other methods as fire prevention options. As of yet, all we see is a mandate that neighboring nations be warned about controlled burns.
__________Federated City States of ____________________Defwa__________
Federation Head High Wizard of Dal Angela Landfree
Ambassadorial Delegate Maestre Wizard Mikyal la Vert

President and World Assembly Delegate of the Democratic Socialist Assembly
Defwa offers assistance with humanitarian aid, civilian evacuation, arbitration, negotiation, and human rights violation monitoring.

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 14509
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:26 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:
Bears Armed Mission wrote:"So your argument against this proposal boils down to "Because some individuals might might ignore the law, we shouldn't have a law at all"? Do you and your government extend that principle to cover all of the other possible activities -- such as murder, rape, or theft, for example -- where some people might ignore rrelevant laws?"


"Without banging the national sovereignty drum too loud, though, there aren't WA laws against murder, rape, or theft; so requiring one for arson seems an odd move."

~ Ambassador to the WA Inky Fungschlammer

"True, but murder, rape, and theft often doesn't have the same impact of a huge forest fire, and generally requires less manpower or cooperation to deal with when international borders are crossed. Nonetheless, its a good point. I'd prefer to see this mostly outline cooperative efforts in such situations, liability considerations, etc., as opposed to making arson an internationally enforceable crime."

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat,
Authority on All Existence,
Globalist Dog,
Dark Psychic Vampire, and
Chief Populist Elitist!


User avatar
Normlpeople
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1597
Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:35 am

"So... other than a fire break, is there such a thing as wanted forest fires? Having said that, I would support an endeavor such as this. I will study the draft further"
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

User avatar
Defwa
Minister
 
Posts: 2598
Founded: Feb 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Defwa » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:40 am

Normlpeople wrote:"So... other than a fire break, is there such a thing as wanted forest fires? Having said that, I would support an endeavor such as this. I will study the draft further"

You can start fires to clear out old brush or trees during wet seasons in controlled areas to prevent wide spread fires in dryer times in unknown locations.
Burn down a field or forest to fertilize it for farming.
Destroy diseased areas like areas of woods infected with parasitic insects that could endanger other woods or agriculture.

Lot of reasons
__________Federated City States of ____________________Defwa__________
Federation Head High Wizard of Dal Angela Landfree
Ambassadorial Delegate Maestre Wizard Mikyal la Vert

President and World Assembly Delegate of the Democratic Socialist Assembly
Defwa offers assistance with humanitarian aid, civilian evacuation, arbitration, negotiation, and human rights violation monitoring.

User avatar
Zmaier
Secretary
 
Posts: 38
Founded: Jan 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zmaier » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:14 pm

I agree with defwa that there are reasons to create forest fires, for example when my nation had an evasive species which thrived off of our trees we quarantined the area and burnt it down
O tempora, o mores! Senatus haec intellegit. Consul videt; hic tamen vivit. Vivit? immo vero etiam in senatum venit, fit publici consilii particeps, notat et designat oculis ad caedem unum quemque nostrum. Nos autem fortes viri satis facere rei publicae videmur, si istius furorem ac tela vitemus. Ad mortem te, Catilina, duci iussu consulis iam pridem oportebat, in te conferri pestem, quam tu in nos [omnes iam diu] machinaris.

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 14509
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:50 pm

Normlpeople wrote:"So... other than a fire break, is there such a thing as wanted forest fires? Having said that, I would support an endeavor such as this. I will study the draft further"


"Controlled burns are incredibly popular ecological and safety-minded processes for a number of areas, particular areas. Not only does it maintain the reproductive process of a number of plants and controls ecological succession for a number of animal species, it removes built-up fuel from forests in a controlled manner, preventing wildfires from becoming uncontrollable. Its a popular tool for foresters, since it removes invasive species and clears the undergrowth in a forest, making access to the more desirable and mature wood much easier. The C.D.S.P. regularly uses controlled burns, since most of our territory is remote wilderness which burns naturally.

"When a fire that covers millions of acres spreads across a border, a huge amount of cooperation is necessary. Transporting, deploying, and supporting wildland operations, with their pumpers, air tankers, and handline crews, is a big enough problem. Toss in a language barrier, constant weather monitoring, communications compatibility, organization structures, and airspace/border laws, a little WA interference is probably a good idea. Ambassador SouthWoods, you can chalk our delegation down to a full support."

OOC: Can you tell I like this stuff? :D
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat,
Authority on All Existence,
Globalist Dog,
Dark Psychic Vampire, and
Chief Populist Elitist!


User avatar
Defwa
Minister
 
Posts: 2598
Founded: Feb 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Defwa » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:53 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Normlpeople wrote:"When a fire that covers millions of acres spreads across a border, a huge amount of cooperation is necessary. Transporting, deploying, and supporting wildland operations, with their pumpers, air tankers, and handline crews, is a big enough problem. Toss in a language barrier, constant weather monitoring, communications compatibility, organization structures, and airspace/border laws, a little WA interference is probably a good idea. Ambassador SouthWoods, you can chalk our delegation down to a full support."

OOC: Can you tell I like this stuff? :D

discount terrorism
Last edited by Defwa on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__________Federated City States of ____________________Defwa__________
Federation Head High Wizard of Dal Angela Landfree
Ambassadorial Delegate Maestre Wizard Mikyal la Vert

President and World Assembly Delegate of the Democratic Socialist Assembly
Defwa offers assistance with humanitarian aid, civilian evacuation, arbitration, negotiation, and human rights violation monitoring.

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 14509
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Defwa wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:

discount terrorism


OOC: I can't win. I just can't win with you.

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat,
Authority on All Existence,
Globalist Dog,
Dark Psychic Vampire, and
Chief Populist Elitist!


User avatar
Chester Pearson
Minister
 
Posts: 2753
Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:00 pm

Support. This legislation seems very sensible. The Federation has very similar laws in place already, so this would fit nicely. The fact this is international security is icing on the cake....

Warmest regards,

Image
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

User avatar
SM0KEY THE BEAR
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Apr 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby SM0KEY THE BEAR » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:23 pm

I approve of this proposal.

User avatar
Normlpeople
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1597
Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:07 pm

SM0KEY THE BEAR wrote:I approve of this proposal.


OOC: I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect this
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

User avatar
Fendon
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 114
Founded: Jun 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fendon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:58 pm

SM0KEY THE BEAR wrote:I approve of this proposal.


OOC: Please don't tell me you've created a nation with a slogan "Only YOU can stop forest fires" purely to support this resolution?

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 18810
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:34 am

Fendon wrote:OOC: Please don't tell me you've created a nation with a slogan "Only YOU can stop forest fires" purely to support this resolution?

OOC: Don't know who did, but it wasn't me.
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152.

User avatar
Rotwood
Diplomat
 
Posts: 629
Founded: Nov 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rotwood » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:05 am

Jericho reads over the proposal and nods
"We give our provisional support to this. We can see where it is appropriate."


OOC: And as an Aussie, I can really relate to it. As you mentioned with the fires in Sumatra affecting Malaysia and Thailand, there have been many here where the smoke cloud has travelled a fair distance, covering the equivalent of crossing a few European countries.
Ambassadors Jericho Reigns and Felicia Honeysworth, The Discordant Harmony of Rotwood
Taleta Ouin Vyda - Decide Your Fate
Rotan Swear Jar Tally: 28 Pax
Economic Left/Right: -4.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

User avatar
Potted Plants United
Diplomat
 
Posts: 888
Founded: Jan 14, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Potted Plants United » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:02 am

A large potted plant in a big plantpot with wheels suddenly comes to life, shakes off the dust accumulated on its leaves during its dormancy, and reveals a large leaf curled up to form a cone, from which a somewhat hissing voice can be heard:

"You have our reserved support, as most of our selves are vulnerable to fire damage. However, we are also aware that wildfires often renew forests by clearing out old trees and providing nutrients to the soil from the resulting ash. The wood of a tree is only valuable to the single plant itself and those who would kill the plant anyway to get access to the wood for their own purposes. As such, we cannot offer complete support at this time."

Bears Armed Mission wrote:Have and enforce, across all of their territory, laws against both the deliberate and the reckless starting of inadequately controlled fires


"Recklessly started fires rarely are preventable by any sort of law. Or does this mean that such an act, if provable, would need to be punishable? Also, what about accidentally started fires, or fires that accidentally become inadequately controlled? Should the firestarters then also be punished, even if they did everything they could to prevent the fire from getting out of control?"

Refrain from the use of uncontrolled fire as a weapon of war in wilderness and semi-wilderness areas, and in any other locations from which the burning would be likely to spread into such areas.


"This, to us, reads as whole other type of legislation - disarmament specifically - than what your chosen category suggests."

Include the safe handling of fire at a basic level in their educational syllabuses, and make having completed this training successfully a legal prerequisite for adults to dwell or even to camp within any environments where the risk that fires might spread uncontrollably is significant


"While we applaud the intent of education, we find that this looks to be an educationally discriminating clause, and possibly runs contrary to pre-existing legislation."

Cross-train suitable units and individual volunteers from their armed forces in fire-fighting ... they can assist whatever other fire-fighters the nation has in this work


"Why would military have to be involved [OOC: except to make this fit into the category] in this in any way? In fact, a "controlled burn" near the nation's border, where military firefighters would be the main firefighting force, could well cause concern of an act of war with their neighbours. We would prefer for the military firefighters to only be used in fires at military areas and/or during military actions."

Raises into being a new agency that is called the ‘World Assembly Fire Trust’ (or ‘WAFT’)


OOC: Lol. :P

Probably EDITed a bazillion times because it seems I can no haz gud grammars today.
Last edited by Potted Plants United on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
This nation is a plant-based hivemind.
My main nation is Araraukar.
Separatist Peoples wrote:"NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE!"
- Mr. Bell, when introduced to PPU's newest moving plant

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: J o J

Advertisement

Remove ads