NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Repeal "Commend Tiago Silva"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Wallcreeper
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

[DEFEATED] Repeal "Commend Tiago Silva"

Postby Wallcreeper » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:50 am

The Security Council,

Believing that Nations and Regions should be Commended for overwhelmingly positive contributions in multiple fields, or for promoting creative and unique models, or for other exceptional feats that deserve to be immortalised for the future generations as an example to follow, with respect to the goal of "spreading interregional peace and goodwill",

Appreciating Tiago Silva's refining work, that allowed nations to fly more vivid and detailed versions of their original flags, but doubting such a deed should be deemed outstanding, or otherwise on par with the exploits of other Security Council Commendees,

Acknowledging that the minor, everyday contributions of countless nations towards a better world, however important, cannot be deemed exceptional or singled out with a formal recognition on part of the World Assembly,

Hereby repeals Resolution #43, "Commend Tiago Silva".

Original resolution.
Short version: yeah, cool guy, but upgrading a bunch of flags isn't Commendation stuff.

Opinions, criticism and advice are all welcome. :)
Last edited by Sedgistan on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
- The Proletariat Coalition -

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:59 am

I agree that this needs to be repealed. Support right off the bat. However, remember R2 of the SC. I don't see a lot of "address[ing] the...resolution" as of now. So far, it's more a list of counter arguments to the original text, which may get you in trouble when you go for submission. Overall, if you could add more text that addresses the original commendation, that would be better.

Wallcreeper
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Wallcreeper » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:03 pm

I thought that could've been an issue, but the original resolution is quite short, and the topic difficult to describe while remaining in compliance with R4, so I've been struggling to come up with a good way to directly address the original commendation.

Anyway, I've edited a little the second pre-ambulatory clause.
Last edited by Wallcreeper on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:52 pm

Wallcreeper wrote:I thought that could've been an issue, but the original resolution is quite short, and the topic difficult to describe while remaining in compliance with R4, so I've been struggling to come up with a good way to directly address the original commendation.

Anyway, I've edited a little the second pre-ambulatory clause.

Indeed, it's quite a task to address the original content when the original content was-what-three lines long including the operative? :lol: But this is as good a draft as any I have seen on the matter.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:01 pm

First vote. I voted AGAINST repeal.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:03 pm

As was stated earlier, I have cast my vote FOR this measure.

Zevassa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zevassa » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:42 pm

I was going to vote against until I searched through the old topic and found this. Although commending Tiago Silva is and was a nice gesture, it's one that the nominee voted against and didn't seem to want.

Zevassa will be voting in favor of the repeal.

Edit: Having said that, I find it interesting that Wallcreeper is using one of the flags that Tiago Silva put together (it's Bhutan's).
Last edited by Zevassa on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Female Human Rogue 1 (0/1000 exp)
Chaotic Good

HP: 6/6
Abilities: STR 9 (-1); DEX 17 (+3); CON 10 (±0); INT 15 (+2); WIS 12 (+1); CHA 11 (±0)
AC: 15 = 10 + 1 (Padded Armor) + 1 (Buckler) + 3 (DEX)
Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Nimble Fingers

Full character sheet

The blaknite
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 14, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The blaknite » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:10 am

the people of the B|Åk.n1+(3)
support any inovations/actions
that help to further the development
of ournations and their interactions
- tiago siva like manyother nations
is helping to create newways
of seeing/being/acting
and
we think that is beautiful

a|| pøw(3)r +ø +h(3) køm:u:n(3)s
all power to the comunes

Discoveria
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Discoveria » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:16 am

I feel that good work should be rewarded unless the recipient of the reward strongly feels that they don't want to be rewarded. I hope Tiago Silva makes an appearance here to say whether this is the case. For now I am abstaining.
"...to be the most effective form of human government."
Professor Simon Goldacre, former Administrator of the Utopia Foundation
WA Ambassador: Matthew Turing

The Utopian Commonwealth of Discoveria
Founder of LGBT University

A member of | The Stonewall Alliance | UN Old Guard
Nation | OOC description | IC Factbook | Timeline

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:23 am

Repealing this commendation just seems petty.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Wickedly evil people
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 14, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Wickedly evil people » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:04 am

What a ridiculous measure, I regularly vote against all measures of the Security Council on principle.

I shall urge my Delegate to vote against this absurdity.

Perhaps a condemnation of the author is needed...
Eli

Shady Deals
Envoy

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shady Deals » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:13 am

Cromarty wrote:Repealing this commendation just seems petty.

I concur with this statement. Saying "thanks for supporting our community " then following it up with "we're now rescinding our thanks" is rather hypocritical. If this repeal does pass, I am willing to bet you Tiago Silva will likely stop helping others altogether. I know that I would if I was publicly embarrassed like this. If Tiago's work was not worthy for a commendation in the first place then it should not have been passed.

Icesun
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Icesun » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:19 am

Look, I voted for this to let this come up in SC to the game as a whole but I wasn't sure about it at that time and I'm still not sure about it. I initially voted for so that there would be a wider debate which would allow me to get fuller facts - it's wasn't out of support.

Yes, what he did seems little on one level but it's more than I can ever expect to do and I've seen commendation proposals put forward for things far less impacting to the game as a whole - such as commendations for nations for something that only really affects their region (although the one time I can name that proposal failed).

This commendation has stood for a while and now that the repeal is open to a wider audience there are a lot more against it than when it was trying to reach quorum. I'd like to see more arguments for and against it before I can vote.

Yes - it's petty.
Yes - the original commendation was written in a pretty lightweight way.

What else? Can I be given a solid, good reason to take away this commendation as it stands? I mean he DID do something that affects everyone in a positive way, has he done something negative recently or is this just a "easy proposal" for the petitioner to put up? (I'm sorry that last part ISN'T meant to look like a personal attack I have nothing against the petitioner but I'm not sure how to get the thought across clearly).
Eco: -3.50, Social: -4.05
Icesun
Founder of The Midwestern Rim
Factbook [Under Construction]
[1][2][3][4][[5]]
Member of the Stonewall Alliance

Amrisrael
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Amrisrael » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:36 am

Shady Deals wrote:
Cromarty wrote:Repealing this commendation just seems petty.

I concur with this statement. Saying "thanks for supporting our community " then following it up with "we're now rescinding our thanks" is rather hypocritical. If this repeal does pass, I am willing to bet you Tiago Silva will likely stop helping others altogether. I know that I would if I was publicly embarrassed like this. If Tiago's work was not worthy for a commendation in the first place then it should not have been passed.

Well said. I too vote against the repeal.
"I am all things to all men so that I may win some!"

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:10 am

If this repeal does pass, I am willing to bet you Tiago Silva will likely stop helping others altogether.

Then he's only in it for the glory and doesn't actually deserve it :P
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:14 am

The proposing delegation are a shower of petty little glory hounds. AGAINST.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

The Great Destruction
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Destruction » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:19 am

I think we are marginalizing something, though simplistic, did in fact effect the entire NS world in a psoitive way. I am voting against.
Last edited by The Great Destruction on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Laudean Republic
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Laudean Republic » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:20 am

The Laudean Republic would like to confirm our vote FOR the repeal. After poring over the evidence we have decided to vote on account of many different reasons; Tiago Silva themselves asked not to be commended. As well as the fact that although making the flag upload-able was great, and we are all able to become much more distinguished as countries, We believe that the Security Council is overstepping it's jurisdiction to commend a country for something that has not affected the foreign policy of any other nation. Although it maybe stated that carrying a flag that is different than other country's flags is very important, The Laudean Repbulic has decided that we will not choose to support an overly active Security Council.
His Lordship E. S. Crelin IV
Prime Minister of the Exterior
and
Honorable Delegate representing The Laudean Republic.

Allied States of Demokratia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Allied States of Demokratia » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:40 am

quick note - Im voting AGAINST repealling a commendation at the security council; You dont repeal a nobel peace prize after a certain period of time has passed. Tiago Silva did a good deed, and was rewarded as such. Repealling it becuse TS wasnt the only one to do good isnt the way to go imho, "no good deed goes unrewarded" in my book.

Food for thought, anyway, thats my $0.02.
Drop the guns and rhetoric.
Grab a beer and some nachos...
---------------------------------------
Federal Republic of Demokratia Armed Forces Readiness Status:
[RED- Total War] [1- Total Mobilization] [2- Imminent Deployment Readiness] [3-Hieghtened Alert] [4- Standard Preparedness] [WHITE- Unconditional Stand-down]

Lazzarania
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lazzarania » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:43 am

Allied States of Demokratia wrote:quick note - Im voting AGAINST repealling a commendation at the security council; You dont repeal a nobel peace prize after a certain period of time has passed. Tiago Silva did a good deed, and was rewarded as such. Repealling it becuse TS wasnt the only one to do good isnt the way to go imho, "no good deed goes unrewarded" in my book.

Food for thought, anyway, thats my $0.02.

Yes, I believe you have it correct. This "Indian giving" attitude over something of this nature is unacceptable. AGAINST.

Multnomah
Secretary

Founded: Apr 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Multnomah » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:22 am

I absolutely agree with the comments that this resolution is petty. Will every commendation now be put to a vote to rescind because one member decides the contribution isn't "significant" enough? What is the real message we are portraying with this resolution? Only contributions meeting Wallcreeper's narrow agenda need be considered?

This is a ridiculous waste of time and I am voting Against.

Wallcreeper
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Wallcreeper » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:11 pm

This repeal has nothing to do with a "narrow agenda" I may have.

I simply checked precedent.
Nearly all the Commendations are for multiple actions of a monumental/long-lasting impact (Kandarin, Goobergunchia, Ananke, Topid, etc.), or for promoting "alternative" ways of playing NS (Warzone Codger, The Skeleton Army).

So we have Kandarin who ruled the Rejected Realms for 7 years, was a good RPer and one of the most respected and influential players ever ... and this guy who once did something to improve the NS graphics. Great, I love it. Commendation stuff? No.

Commendations aren't a reward. They aren't a prize.
Because, seriously, it would pretty lame if good deeds were only motivated by the desire of various shiny badges.
Commendations are made to make sure great players are remembered.
I wouldn't include TS among the greats of NS. And even if we wanted to expand the "Commend Club" and include people who made similar contributions, I'm pretty sure we would have too many. ;)

Allied States of Demokratia wrote:quick note - Im voting AGAINST repealling a commendation at the security council; You dont repeal a nobel peace prize after a certain period of time has passed. Tiago Silva did a good deed, and was rewarded as such. Repealling it becuse TS wasnt the only one to do good isnt the way to go imho, "no good deed goes unrewarded" in my book.

This isn't a Nobel Peace Prize, and repeals (or, what Lazzarania calls "Indian giving") have existed for a while.
Three Commendations have already been repealed because the SC determined that, in fact, the contributions mentioned in the original resolutions weren't really worthy of a Commend.

Sorry for not complaining when the original proposal was submitted but, you know, I wasn't even in the game. :roll:

Wickedly evil people wrote:Perhaps a condemnation of the author is needed...

Are you voting against that one too?

And I don't get how I am a petty little glory hound :lol:
Last edited by Wallcreeper on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wickedly evil people
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 14, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Wickedly evil people » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:15 pm

Yes I probably would vote against it because a condemnation is glory to the glory hound.
Eli

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Wickedly evil people wrote:Yes I probably would vote against it because a condemnation is glory to the glory hound.

...wert? Were we talking about a condemnation?

/mandoorhandhookcardoor

Wallcreeper
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Wallcreeper » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:
Wickedly evil people wrote:Yes I probably would vote against it because a condemnation is glory to the glory hound.

...wert? Were we talking about a condemnation?

/mandoorhandhookcardoor

He said my resolution was so bad that I should've been Condemned for it. But he'd vote against the Condemnation anyway.

In other news, anyone who writes a proposal is a petty glory hound. Anyone.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives