NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Intangible Cultural Heritage Protection

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ile Royale
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 09, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Ile Royale » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:50 am

OOC: Does the spelling used by British English always arouse such strong feelings in you?

IC: The resolution does not allow a community to claim a place as intangible, it allows then to claim a practice as intangible. If such a practice has an associated location, that too is protected, lets traditional grounds be eradicated as a way to indirectly eliminate a cultural practice. In addition to this, the proposed resolution only orders member states to "provide information...", it does not order physical excavations, though of course it does not preclude them.

"CALLS UPON" is clearly and deliberately asking for a voluntary action; there is no element of compulsion, we simply wish the General Assembly to express its view that such education should be provided.

We hope the ambassador's fears have been assuaged somewhat.
Last edited by Ile Royale on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Albert du Plessis, Visconte de Bretange
Ambassador from the Bourbon Court to the World Assembly

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

FOR

Postby Free South Califas » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:57 am

The Twelfth Federal Assembly and the WAGA detachment thereof stand IN STRONG AND UNRESERVED SUPPORT of this resolution as written. In domestic legislation, 12FAR WAGA136 Support Cultural Heritage Protection Act COMMENDS the WAGA delegations of Ile Royale, Ossitania, Pollepao, Damanacus, and Bergnovinaia for their vocal support of this important legislation and their work. Undoubtedly, these delegations have the eternal gratitude of endangered and minority cultures everywhere. 12FAR WAGA136 also humbly suggests that Ossitania be offered co-author status in recognition of their contributions to the language of the proposal.

We also offer of our time and energy to present and future drafters who need extra bodies for WAGA legwork, for this and similar proposed legislation in future.

Since federal law mandates that the Federal Assembly may not contradict international legislation which it has vocally supported, the text of Intangible Cultural Heritage Protection automatically takes effect as, at the very least, a restriction on future federal legislation to the contrary. It is not yet similarly binding on the ten County Assemblies or any lower-level government which delegates them, but similar legislation is typically the status quo, and other jurisdictions are working to up their standard of cultural heritage protection under federal pressure.
Last edited by Free South Califas on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:10 am

Y'all gotta be kidding me? This is some kind of joke, right? RIGHT??!!!! You mean this isn't a joke? Pull the other one......Seriously???? This has been proposed and is up for a vote? Damn! Somedays its just not worth gnawing through the leather straps. Opppsed! Now I'm off to play a rousing game of ride the kinky pony with the Thessadorian ambassador, and hobmail my liver drinking Wild Turkey. See y'all in the funny papers.
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
(now with 25% more unwholesomeness)
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Ile Royale
Bureaucrat

Anarchy

Postby Ile Royale » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:15 am

We thank the Federal Assembly of Free South Califas for its support for our resolution, however, it is already up for vote, and therefore, unfortunately, we cannot undertake its recommendations.

To Sen. Sulla, we suggest that he might benefit from this resolution, particularly if his particular brand of entertainments becomes a widely practiced cultural phenomenon.

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:18 am

People United Together wrote:Noting the spelling of "artefact" in line 1, I'm against. I might be overreacting to the last line (CALLS UPON), but PUT should not be forced into providing useless classes for the masses.

Artifact and artefact are both valid spellings. You don't have to force people into classes but you have to make the option available if it's wanted.

People United Together wrote:Also, the definition allows any community to claim any location as "intangible," and then ORDERS members to assist in information gathering, ie: excavation and/or preservation. It's detrimental to any established or needed roads, for example.

No, it doesn't. It's only for sites of cultural significance and you can demand that the group in question prove its significance.

People United Together wrote:In PUT, we don't have cars, only trains. Therefore, a preserved location at a city's central station, or a a narrow pass through mountains may force thousands of citizens to take an out-of-the-way path to their destination.

You realise that you can preserve a significant site without blocking it off, right? Or does PUT forbid its citizens from entering government buildings and other cultural sites?

People United Together wrote:The proposal should have less power and restrictions.

This proposal has little to no power or restrictions, so we disagree fundamentally with this claim.

We have lodged our vote decisively FOR.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:38 am

My delegation must come out in opposition. I feel that the concept of "intangible cultural heritage" is poorly defined and highly duplicative. Franky, I'm surprised this was allowed to reach quorum.

Ile Royale wrote:DEFINING an intangible cultural heritage as a custom, practice, tradition or skill, and all locations and objects associated therewith, which is considered to be a part of the cultural heritage of a community, group, or society by members of such a community, group or society;

We already have a resolution dealing with items and locations of cultural significance:
Cultural Heritage Protection wrote:DEFINES an artifact as any item of cultural, historical, or archeological interest to the member nation in question.

DEFINES a cultural heritage site as a area of interest, archeological, historical, or cultural to any member nation within its own jurdisticion.

I feel that the definition of intangible cultural heritage impermissibly usurps jurisdiction over cultural objects and cultural locations from the Cultural Heritage Protection Act. This is more than a slight duplication, since Cultural Heritage Protection was concerned only with protecting such objects and locations, and the concept of "intangible cultural heritage" - as defined by the proposal - clearly includes things already protected by other international law.

I am also quite skeptical about the usefulness of the "REQUIRES" clause:
Ile Royale wrote:REQUIRES member states to:
a. adopt a general policy towards the protection of intangible cultural heritage
b. criminalise any deliberate action which has the consequence of destroying an intangible cultural heritage by any means.

It seems impossible to destroy intangible cultural heritage just as it is impossible to destroy poetry or love. Concepts cannot be destroyed, and the physical manifestation of those concepts in items and sites is already protected. There is simply no possible "deliberate action" that nations could criminalize to comply with this mandate. Unless the author is afraid of hypnotists making people forget their heritage or loonies clubbing folks in the back of the head in the hopes that they will develop cultural amnesia.

I know that the author once said that a "prohibition of a traditional form of weaving... Or maybe the intentional destruction of looms used for that weaving" would amount to a "deliberate action which has the consequence of destroying an intangible cultural heritage." The second is clearly the destruction of a cultural artifact and is already illegal under Cultural Heritage Protection. The first is a legislative act which cannot be a crime. The idea that nations should criminalize the actions of their own lawmakers is absolutely unacceptable.

I'm afraid I simply cannot understand what, if anything, this proposal does. I'd also like to know why this was not struck as largely duplicative (in fact, entirely duplicative) of Cultural Heritage Protection. I'm sure someone will say this goes beyond CHP to conver "intangible" things, but it also attempts to completely swallow up the jurisdiction of CHP over cultural artifacts and sites.

I urge nations to vote AGAINST this legislation and I ask the Secretariat for one more hard look at whether this Act completely duplicates all the functions of Cultural Heritage Protection.
Last edited by Cowardly Pacifists on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:40 am

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:I urge nations to vote AGAINST this legislation and I ask the Secretariat for one more hard look at whether this Act completely duplicates all the functions of Cultural Heritage Protections.

It doesn't matter if it does or not, once it's at vote, it's legal.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:42 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Cowardly Pacifists wrote:I urge nations to vote AGAINST this legislation and I ask the Secretariat for one more hard look at whether this Act completely duplicates all the functions of Cultural Heritage Protections.

It doesn't matter if it does or not, once it's at vote, it's legal.

I thought once it's enacted its legal...

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:44 am

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:It doesn't matter if it does or not, once it's at vote, it's legal.

I thought once it's enacted its legal...

Nope. Once a resolution is at vote.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:44 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Cowardly Pacifists wrote:I thought once it's enacted its legal...

Nope. Once a resolution is at vote.

Gah... should have spoken up sooner.

Well, live and learn.

The Palentine
Diplomat

Postby The Palentine » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:57 am

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Nope. Once a resolution is at vote.

Gah... should have spoken up sooner.

Well, live and learn.

I'd suggest an instarepeal, old bean. Unfortunately I can't muster up enough viniger, bile, and vitriol to even attempt to rid the Festering Snakepit of this silly thing should it pass.
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

The Palentine
Diplomat

Postby The Palentine » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:02 am

The Palentine wrote:
Cowardly Pacifists wrote:Gah... should have spoken up sooner.

Well, live and learn.

I'd suggest an instarepeal, old bean. Unfortunately I can't muster up enough viniger, bile, and vitriol to even attempt to rid the Festering Snakepit of this silly thing should it pass.
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla

To Sen. Sulla, we suggest that he might benefit from this resolution, particularly if his particular brand of entertainments becomes a widely practiced cultural phenomenon.

I don't think so old bean. most of my hobbies are unwholesome, unheathy, and expensive...usually all three(espcially when I must see to the services of rather fetching catgirls of loose but negotiable morals and virtue.)

Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
-The Dourian Embassy

-Hack

People United Together
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby People United Together » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Ile Royale wrote:OOC: Does the spelling used by British English always arouse such strong feelings in you?

...IC: In addition to this, the proposed resolution only orders member states to "provide information...", it does not order physical excavations, though of course it does not preclude them.

"CALLS UPON" is clearly and deliberately asking for a voluntary action; there is no element of compulsion, we simply wish the General Assembly to express its view that such education should be provided.

We hope the ambassador's fears have been assuaged somewhat.

OOC: Guess which country I'm from! ;)

IC: Concerning assuaged fears, yes. Excavations and optional classes are expenses the people united together should not have to pay.

Ossitania wrote:Artifact and artefact are both valid spellings. You don't have to force people into classes but you have to make the option available if it's wanted.

I sense conflicting meanings of "calls upon"...

Ossitania wrote:No, it doesn't. It's only for sites of cultural significance and you can demand that the group in question prove its significance.

My argument pertains to the rebuttal of progress by preservation. What if a beach is going to be developed, but people sign a petition saying it's a "intangible custom" to go there and build sandcastles?

Ossitania wrote:You realise that you can preserve a significant site without blocking it off, right? Or does PUT forbid its citizens from entering government buildings and other cultural sites?

Even when visiting the moon(s), man leaves his trash, ie: lunar modules and flags. Preserved sites must be that, preserved. Furthermore, certain religious practices may pertain to certain mountains. Train tracks may be needed to pass through a mountain range, and that involves dynamite and bridges, even in the least invasive of methods. As mentioned, PUT has no cars and therefore needs trains and a network of tracks.

Ossitania wrote:This proposal has little to no power or restrictions, so we disagree fundamentally with this claim.

You are right, we disagree!
Put, an impertinent nobody.

Repeal SC#109

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Knootoss » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 am

An instant repeal for this resolution would seem in order, in the likely event that the fluffies will stampede all over themselves to approve this. This resolution protects utterly barbaric rituals and practices and forces humanity to maintain skills that have long since been surpassed.

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Ile Royale
Bureaucrat

Anarchy

Postby Ile Royale » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:47 am

I respectfully point the ambassador to this clause: "AFFIRMS the right of member states to restrict cultural practices that may cause harm to national populations, provided that academic information regarding these practices is recorded and submitted to the ICHC." There is no protection for "utterly barbaric" rituals.

Nor, sir, does it petrify cultural innovation. The clause which requires member states to adopt a general policy for the protection of ICH in no way stops the process of moving forward, if these ICHs genuinely do have a negative impact on national populations they may be prohibited, provided, of course that academic information is preserved.
Last edited by Ile Royale on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Knootoss » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:13 am

"Harm to national populations" is extremely restrictive. Rituals can be utterly barbaric and degrading without harming "national populations".

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:14 am

In the Name of the Eternal Kawaii, may the Cute One be praised

While we suspect this proposal of being too "fluffy" for most nations here, if it keeps folks in the WA Strangers' Bar from throwing peanut shells at the Shrine of the Manifestation, we're for it.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Kareliana
Civilian

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

against

Postby Kareliana » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:31 am

This means that even those cultural deeds that are less good like childens genital mutilation should be protected. This law cannot go beyond human rights.

Ile Royale
Bureaucrat

Anarchy

Postby Ile Royale » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Knootoss wrote:"Harm to national populations" is extremely restrictive. Rituals can be utterly barbaric and degrading without harming "national populations".

We would submit that "national populations" is actually a deliberately vague phrase that can take on a number of meanings. Without wanting to get into "my dictionary is bigger than yours" arguments, the definition of "population" which we find most pertinent is "a group of persons [...] considered statistically". We believe that this, combined with the relatively elastic definition of "harm" would probably allow your nation to prohibit actions which are, in your eyes utterly barbaric and degrading.

We direct the same point towards the ambassador from Kareliana.

We also wish to extend our thanks to the ambassador of Eternal Kawaii for their gracious support.

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:11 pm

People United Together wrote:I sense conflicting meanings of "calls upon"...

CALLS UPON is not the important part. The important bit is "provide for". You have to facilitate the education, but you don't have to force it where it's not wanted by the population.

People United Together wrote:My argument pertains to the rebuttal of progress by preservation. What if a beach is going to be developed, but people sign a petition saying it's a "intangible custom" to go there and build sandcastles?

If it is a significant custom of a cultural or religious group, then, frankly, I don't think you should be allowed to develop that beach. Progress is not inherently good, you know. Moving forward is a means, not an end and progress which robs people of their culture and heritage should be restricted and approached cautiously. I think people are reading too much into the resolution - it says to adopt a general policy towards the protection of cultural sites, it doesn't completely preclude their development as long as the general policy is in the interests of their protection. It only criminalises the deliberate destruction of these sites, it doesn't prohibit their development as long as the development is carried out in a manner which preserves the site as much as possible.

People United Together wrote:Even when visiting the moon(s), man leaves his trash, ie: lunar modules and flags. Preserved sites must be that, preserved. Furthermore, certain religious practices may pertain to certain mountains. Train tracks may be needed to pass through a mountain range, and that involves dynamite and bridges, even in the least invasive of methods. As mentioned, PUT has no cars and therefore needs trains and a network of tracks.

Are we the only delegation that approaches legislation with a principle of reason? The protection and preservation of significant cultural sites is required as a general policy, it doesn't call for you to shrinkwrap these sites and keep them safe in perpetuity - nothing is permanent. Nothing in the resolution prohibits the development of these sites as long as the development is carried out which as much reverence and respect as possible.

Knootoss wrote:"Harm to national populations" is extremely restrictive. Rituals can be utterly barbaric and degrading without harming "national populations".

It's the language preferred by NEF and I'd hardly call that extremely restrictive. In fact, surely it's immensely broad, as one could interpret it as either the entire population of a nation or individual populations within a nations.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:41 pm

I have voted against this proposal for reasons similar to those aforementioned by other ambassadors.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Kushtor
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kushtor » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:54 pm

Knootoss wrote:An instant repeal for this resolution would seem in order, in the likely event that the fluffies will stampede all over themselves to approve this. This resolution protects utterly barbaric rituals and practices and forces humanity to maintain skills that have long since been surpassed.

For such reasons as barbaric rituals including, but not limited to, living sacrifice, genital mutilation, forced body modification, and other abusive or neglectful behavior toward conscious life, Kuxtor is voting AGAINST this resolution.
However, we would be in support of a resolution aimed at the preservation of traditional artforms (music, theatre, painting, etc.).
- Rights and freedoms are only as good as what you do with them.
-Better to be a parasitic looter than a malignant narcissist.
Economic Left/Right: -4.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.59
Patriotic Social Democrat
Nationalistic(4%) Secular(64%) Visionary(27%) Anarchistic(20%) Communistic(9%) Pacifist(7%) Ecological(26%)
'Post-Modern'

Datavia
Attaché

Founded: May 26, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Datavia » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:17 pm

I praise the good intentions of this proposal, but it must be somewhat more explicit on the kind of Intangible Cultural items it protects, lest it becomes a loophole for inhumane practices. I say: protecting things like pilgrimages, ceremonies, music, art forms... and explicitly forbidding customs that infringe Human Rights. So, Datavia votes AGAINST.
Cowardly Pacifists wrote:It seems impossible to destroy intangible cultural heritage just as it is impossible to destroy poetry or love. Concepts cannot be destroyed, and the physical manifestation of those concepts in items and sites is already protected. There is simply no possible "deliberate action" that nations could criminalize to comply with this mandate. Unless the author is afraid of hypnotists making people forget their heritage or loonies clubbing folks in the back of the head in the hopes that they will develop cultural amnesia.

Really? Use your imagination. There had been banned languages, for instance. Or unusual, but perfectly tolerable customs, outlawed in a country simply because they didn't comply with the prevailing culture there. Such cultural instances can be suppressed to the point of their extintion.

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:47 pm

Datavia wrote:Really? Use your imagination. There had been banned languages, for instance. Or unusual, but perfectly tolerable customs, outlawed in a country simply because they didn't comply with the prevailing culture there. Such cultural instances can be suppressed to the point of their extintion.

The proposal requires nations to "criminalise any deliberate action which has the consequence of destroying an intangible cultural heritage by any means." How the hell is anyone - aside from a legislator or someone with the power to make law - going to commit that crime? Banning this or that conduct is a lawmaking act - and the WA should not be requiring nations to criminalize lawmaking activities. What's more, the Act presumably already told nations to avoid passing bans on language and the like by mandating that they "adopt a general policy towards the protection of intangible cultural heritage."

And really, the wording is just plain bad. Lets assume you're right and that with a healthy imagination it means something to criminalize the destruction of an intangible cultural heritage. How would you ever know if a certain "deliberate action" would have that "consequence"? You couldn't. The best you could do is criminalize something after the fact, once you actually knew that a certain action actually destroyed an intangible cultural heritage (which, btw would be an ex post facto law).

That's if you could ever come up with evidence that an intangible cultural heritage had been "destroyed" in the first place - something I highly doubt. "Uh, yes, I remember when people spoke that culturally significant language. It's been destroyed, on account of no one speaks it anymore thanks to Bert and that ban he enacted." Rubbish.

No amount of imagination is capable of salvaging that provision. It really has no meaning, and even if it did mean something that meaning would make no practical sense.

Best Regards.
Last edited by Cowardly Pacifists on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:51 pm

REQUIRES member states to...criminalise any deliberate action which has the consequence of destroying an intangible cultural heritage by any means.

The implications of this clause worry me greatly, given the rather broad definition of "intangible cultural heritage". Opposed.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives