NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] World Assembly Trade Rights

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:02 am

Auralia wrote:
Cowardly Pacifists wrote:With all due respect, you should read your proposal again. I don't see anything in there about Most Favored Nation status, which would (I guess...) include everything commonly understood to come with that status IRL; including the principle of reciprocity. You do talk about "the most favourable trade preference," which as far as I can tell has no special meaning. Presumably it means just what it says: even if your nation "prefers" to trade with another nation, you must give other nations the same trading terms you would give that preferred nation - regardless of whether those other nations offer to reciprocate.

Ah, now I understand what you're talking about. Sorry for the confusion. No, even MFN as implemented in the GATT does not include a requirement for reciprocity.

Umm... no. It's simply daft to claim that GATT and MFN don't involve a principle of reciprocation. It's one of the founding principles of free trade and one of the requirements for that theory to work. The second damn line of the GATT treaty reads: "Being desirous of contributing to these objectives by entering into reciprocal and mutually advantageous arrangements directed to the substantial reduction of tariffs and other barriers to trade and to the elimination of discriminatory treatment in international commerce[.]"

I cannot believe you really just said that. How can you claim to draft legislation on this area of law without even acknowledging the existence of a key tenant of the free trade agreement you're trying to emulate.

As always, Auralia, simply denying that a principle exists will not make it go away. I say again: you've tired to shoehorn an elegant RL treaty into a brief blunt instrument that does not really do the same thing. The failure to include a principle or requirement of reciprocity in trade preferences is just one example. If I had more time, I could flush out others. But this is likely going to pass, so why waste my breath. I'll just vote against and be content to use the exceptions to do whatever I want (just like RL nations).

Best Regards.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Vagabundas
Envoy

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vagabundas » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:37 am

Well, war embargos are not covered by the exceptions of this bill...

Yours,
King Mark III

Prime-Minister: Henrique Rodrigues da Mota aka HRM

Royal Cabinet of the Constitutional Monarchy of Vagabundas:
Deputy Prime-Minister: William Layton
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Claude Vontrammp
Minister of the Economy: Júlio Montenegra
Minister of Social Security: John Bridges
Minister of Education and Culture: Julia Windelhanm
Minister of Infraestructure: Arthur Virencio
Minister of Defense: Lord H.K. Camphbell
Minister of Labor and Employment: Lady Kate Hoffmann
Minister of Transportation: Fernando Kavadiña
Minister of Environment: Luisa P. Castro
President of the UHS (Unified Health System): Dr. Jorge Varella
Secretary of Sports: Jefferson Doyle

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 am

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:Umm... no. It's simply daft to claim that GATT and MFN don't involve a principle of reciprocation. It's one of the founding principles of free trade and one of the requirements for that theory to work. The second damn line of the GATT treaty reads: "Being desirous of contributing to these objectives by entering into reciprocal and mutually advantageous arrangements directed to the substantial reduction of tariffs and other barriers to trade and to the elimination of discriminatory treatment in international commerce[.]"

I cannot believe you really just said that. How can you claim to draft legislation on this area of law without even acknowledging the existence of a key tenant of the free trade agreement you're trying to emulate.

It might not be a bad idea to actually read through GATT before accusing me of not understanding its basic principles. First of all, universal most-favoured-nation status and reciprocity are not the same thing. Universal MFN is treating all nations the same, while reciprocity is treating a nation the same way it treats you.

Unlike universal most-favoured-nation status, GATT encourages reciprocal reductions in tariffs, but does not necessarily enforce them. That is to say, should a GATT member nation unilaterally decide to eliminate tariffs for all other member nations, there is no obligation for member nations to eliminate their tariffs as well. This is as it should be - GATT should not allow you to force a nation into a free trade agreement. GATT does, however, encourage the use of bilateral and multilateral negotiations to come up with reciprocal and mutually-agreeable reductions in tariffs, which would then be enforced according to the relevant agreement.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Vagabundas
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Vagabundas » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:36 am

I could support this but what about war embargos??? Please answer us!
King Mark III

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:42 am

Auralia wrote:
Cowardly Pacifists wrote:Umm... no. It's simply daft to claim that GATT and MFN don't involve a principle of reciprocation. It's one of the founding principles of free trade and one of the requirements for that theory to work. The second damn line of the GATT treaty reads: "Being desirous of contributing to these objectives by entering into reciprocal and mutually advantageous arrangements directed to the substantial reduction of tariffs and other barriers to trade and to the elimination of discriminatory treatment in international commerce[.]"

It might not be a bad idea to actually read through GATT before accusing me of not understanding its basic principles. First of all, universal most-favoured-nation status and reciprocity are not the same thing. Universal MFN is treating all nations the same, while reciprocity is treating a nation the same way it treats you.

Unlike universal most-favoured-nation status, GATT encourages reciprocal reductions in tariffs, but does not necessarily enforce them. That is to say, should a GATT member nation unilaterally decide to eliminate tariffs for all other member nations, there is no obligation for member nations to eliminate their tariffs as well. This is as it should be - GATT should not allow you to force a nation into a free trade agreement. GATT does, however, encourage the use of bilateral and multilateral negotiations to come up with reciprocal and mutually-agreeable reductions in tariffs, which would then be enforced according to the relevant agreement.

First of all, saying that GATT doesn't "require" reciprocation because "there is no obligation for member nations to eliminate their tariffs as well" is a cheat. Of course I'm not going to go through and point out to you every single example of reciprocity in the text. But I don't have to because your argument makes no sense. Reciprocity it's a foundational principle that guides all parties in entering multilateral trade agreements. You would have us believe that a foundational principle was just included as some friendly advice and is not a substantial component of the Act. On the contrary, every nation that has signed that treaty did so because of the principle of reciprocity. Without it, the whole damn thing falls apart - nobody is going to enter into an agreement to provide trade preferences without some assurance that they will get that preference in return.

Which brings me back to this: you're attempting to replication a complex RL treaty via a blunt instrument in a place (NS) where it does not belong and with substantial components missing.

Moreover, you're just wrong. GATT both incorporates and allows for enforcement of the principle of reciprocity:
In broad terms, the principle of reciprocity refers to the ideal of mutual changes in trade policy that bring about changes in the volume of each country’s imports that are of equal value to changes in the volume of its exports. This principle is pervasive in the GATT/WTO. Reciprocity arises as a norm in GATT/WTO negotiations, where governments often seek a “balance of concessions.” Reciprocity also appears in many GATT/WTO rules. For example, Article XXVIII of the GATT 1994 provides circumstances under which a concession withdrawal by one government
can entitle another to withdraw a “substantially equivalent concession.”

Look it up on page six.

Your proposal has no similar provision, and does not require nations to "balance concessions." It simply says give everyone the same trade preference as if that alone is wise or effective. But it's not. The principle of reciprocity is necessary for this kind of agreement to work; by excluding it you're forcing nations to either abolish trade preferences altogether, or suffer damages from free-rider nations who take advantage of those preferences without providing any in return.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Delegate Vinage
Envoy

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Delegate Vinage » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:02 pm

I, Lothar Prolark, World Assembly Delegate and Vice President of Europeia will be voting NAY on this proposal after a 3/4 split internal vote. We are not keen on the idea of being forced to grant preferential status to all World Assembly nations when there are some we strongly disagree with but not enough to be counted out on the clarifies terms.

Looks likely to pass anyway so... good luck!

Vinage V. Grey-Anumia
World Assembly Delegate &
Former President of Europeia

"The Delegate Wipes What The Region Spills"
"Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force"

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:snip

I think we need to decide on what the word "reciprocity" means. I'm not sure if you're talking about fairness in negotiated trade agreements, or some kind of rule that states that if Nation A decides to unilaterally lower its trade barriers for Nation B, Nation B must do the same for Nation A.

Reciprocity in the latter sense is not present within GATT or my proposal. This is because both GATT and my proposal are not multilateral trade agreements, but rather multilateral trading systems. They set the rules for international trade in general, rules that tend to push people toward free trade. Two of the main ones are universal MFN and national treatment, both implemented in GATT and my proposal. Reciprocity is not one of them; as I stated before, a nation cannot and should not unilaterally impose a free trade agreement on any nation it wishes.

Your examples of reciprocity in GATT have nothing to do with its role as a multilateral trading system, but rather its secondary role of facilitating multilateral trade negotiations. It is true that GATT contains provisions which require that reciprocity be a part of agreements negotiated directly through the GATT. However, this is reciprocity in the former sense, since reciprocity is only a requirement for trade agreements specifically negotiated through the GATT with the consent of all parties involved; it is not part of the entire multilateral trading system.

Now, I chose not to include provisions for negotiating trade agreements through WATC in this resolution, because I didn't feel they were necessary. I believed that nations were perfectly capable of negotiating bilateral and multilateral agreements on their own. That said, nations might be more willing to negotiate if the negotiations were held under the auspices of the WA, and so I might expand the mandate of the WATC accordingly in a future resolution. But it really has nothing to do with the rules surrounding the multilateral trading system, which stand alone and have nothing to do with reciprocity.

By the way, all real-life treaties are complex. In the World Assembly, with only 3,500 characters to work with, the best we can accomplish with any resolution is a weak approximation of what the real thing might be like. That doesn't mean we shouldn't bother trying.
Last edited by Auralia on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Vagabundas wrote:I could support this but what about war embargos??? Please answer us!

This legislation covers embargoes sufficiently. If you're referring to blockades, however, legislation already exists regarding that. I should know, after all: Dr Forshaw (the former ambassador from Connopolis) and I wrote the most recent one.

Stephanie Orman
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:52 am

Auralia wrote:
Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:We are also worried by the power that this proposal would give to tax havens, and so we hope that the idea that a lack of tax can be sensibly considered an implicit subsidy is generally acknowledged?

Could you elaborate on why granting MFN status to a tax haven would be a problem?

Well, it's part of the whole effective wage thing. A place with lower taxes will be able to produce things more cheaply. Although if this does pass, we will be happy to consider it an implicit subsidy anyway.

As for the whole reciprocity argument, we agree we would prefer a direct reference to allow nations to set tariffs for any nation at whatever rate that nation sets tariffs at for them, or none if not otherwise set; however we are satisfied that our narrow interpretation of 'service' used earlier allows for corporations under nations to acquire the services of that nation, and hence be subject to distinct tarrifs depending on their governments; allowing us to continue to differentiate and maintain the reciprocity. Equally this may be considered to be consistent with 1(c) or 2(d) or 2(b) when implicit subsidies are considered; a sufficient four loopholes consistent with the principal of free trade.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

People United Together
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby People United Together » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Sorry to disrupt any discussion, but Atrigeas has voted eight to three in support of this proposal. Therefore, I'm voting in favor, too. Good work, ambassador from Auralia.
Put, an impertinent nobody.

Repeal SC#109

Great Kingdom of Calomo
Envoy

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kingdom of Calomo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:28 pm

My nation and I voted FOR.

Our reasons are the same as this Act tells:

We know that World Assembly member nations often face harmful and unnecessary barriers in their trade with other member nations.

We experienced that these barriers ultimately serve as obstacles to the economic prosperity of all member nations.

We believe that these barriers therefore constitute a serious hazard to national populations.

-Simply that: thank you for reading our opinion.-

Yours sincerely,
Great Kingdom of Calomo
War status: at war
Trade status: trading

United Nations of the Union

<<Defenders of the Faith and the Rights>>

Vagabundas
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Vagabundas » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 pm

1a is really confusing!

Yours,
King Mark III

Great Kingdom of Calomo
Envoy

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kingdom of Calomo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Vagabundas wrote:1a is really confusing!

Yours,

Dear Vagabundas,

What do you mean? We do not understand what you are saying.

Yours sincerely,
Great Kingdom of Calomo
War status: at war
Trade status: trading

United Nations of the Union

<<Defenders of the Faith and the Rights>>

Eurussia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Eurussia » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Eurussia supports this General Assembly Resolution since it promotes trade liberalization.

Our nation believes the advantages of this resolution's effect towards all economies.

Eurussia further extends the support from the World Union of almost 84% of our members!

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Eurussia wrote:Eurussia supports this General Assembly Resolution since it promotes trade liberalization.

Our nation believes the advantages of this resolution's effect towards all economies.

Eurussia further extends the support from the World Union of almost 84% of our members!

In the Name of the Eternal Kawaii, may the Cute One be praised

The resolution has now passed and been implemented in all WA nations. Our Economic rating has just fallen from 64 to 51.

We suspect that the authors of this proposal did not think their cunning plan through.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Eurussia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Eurussia » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:20 pm

Eurussia congratulates the proponent of this GA Resolution for its passage.

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:13 am

The Eternal Kawaii wrote:
Eurussia wrote:Eurussia supports this General Assembly Resolution since it promotes trade liberalization.

In the Name of the Eternal Kawaii, may the Cute One be praised

The resolution has now passed and been implemented in all WA nations. Our Economic rating has just fallen from 64 to 51.

We suspect that the authors of this proposal did not think their cunning plan through.

Strange. Ours went up to 97.

Stephanie Orman
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus

Wheeled States of Bifid
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wheeled States of Bifid » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:50 am

Ours also improved significantly.
Afforess wrote:This is how Democracy dies - with thunderous applause.
Economic Left/Right: -4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.18
J.E. Wheeler, Guardian, Wheeled States of Bifid, WA Delegate, Democratium

"Insanity is a gradual process, don't rush it."

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."

Generation 36 (The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:20 am

We likewise saw a rise.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Auriga
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Side-Effects

Postby Auriga » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:57 pm

Auriga also saw a rise in it's economy from 87 to 93. But as a negative side-effect we were reclassified from a New York Times Democracy to a Corporate Bordello. And I know someone else had their nation reclassified at the same time the bill passed, though they passed no resolutions at the time. Does anyone else believe that the passing of this resolution may have caused this?

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:18 pm

We saw no change whatsoever, but I suspect that we're actually rated higher than the scale goes too.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Discoveria
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Discoveria » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:09 pm

Discoveria's Office for Finance and Industry also noted an improvement in indices of economic performance.

Matthew Turing
Discoverian Ambassador to the World Assembly

(OOC: 96 to 97, reclassified to New York Times Democracy I think.)
"...to be the most effective form of human government."
Professor Simon Goldacre, former Administrator of the Utopia Foundation
WA Ambassador: Matthew Turing

The Utopian Commonwealth of Discoveria
Founder of LGBT University

A member of | The Stonewall Alliance | UN Old Guard
Nation | OOC description | IC Factbook | Timeline

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Shouldn't it have resulted in a rise in the Pro-market index?
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Auriga
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Side-Effects

Postby Auriga » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:14 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:Shouldn't it have resulted in a rise in the Pro-market index?

Yes, it did that but in the process it changed economic freedoms. That must have been enough for some nations' classifications to be changed.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives