NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Concerning Financial Fraud

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:24 am

I am glad to have been of service. Bonne chance, Dr. Forshaw.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:47 pm

OOC: I've submitted the draft today, as my schedule this week is subject to change considering it's the holidays and all. :blush: I'd also like to thank Oppressorion for his tremendous help in creating a very high quality campaign prompt!
Last edited by Connopolis on Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Arivali
Envoy

Founded: Jun 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arivali » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:20 pm

While the intentions are good, I can't help but think this would be better managed on a national level. Trying to police the whole world would be slow and expensive. I will have to speak with my advisers and give it some more thought.

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:08 pm

Arivali wrote:While the intentions are good, I can't help but think this would be better managed on a national level. Trying to police the whole world would be slow and expensive. I will have to speak with my advisers and give it some more thought.

Your Excellency, this resolution does not force member-states to do anything, aside from criminalizing financial fraud, and ensuring victims of it are compensated (not necessarily from the state's own budget either). The policies your administration implements are not mandated within the resolution, and as such, are up to you, so long as they criminalize fraud. The resolution is neither expensive, nor over-reaching, in my delegation's opinion, and I hope to have convinced you otherwise. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, and we will respond to the best of our ability.

Yours in taking cover under his desk,
Last edited by Connopolis on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Ossitania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:24 am

I can't actually see the proposal myself, though it may just be a glitch.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:34 pm

First, I've approved the submitted version for a vote.

Second, I regardless have a reservation about one element in particular:

3. Member-states shall take all effective preventative measures, including the creation of domestic laws, in order to eliminate financial fraud.

I'm concerned about the word "all" in this clause. This would seem to require member states to take any measures that would effectively prevent financial fraud, regardless of the negative consequences of those measures in areas unrelated to financial fraud. Essentially, preventing financial fraud would have to be the number one priority of all member states, even to the exclusion of all other priorities. I would suggest removing the word "all" before resubmitting.

My apologies if this issue has already been raised, as I have not read through this whole thread.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:07 pm

I know I'm not a delegate, and this hasn't quite reached quorum (it still has a day, and 23 approvals, to go though), but I will say this: I would like to support this resolution if/when it does reach quorum. I will ask a couple of questions, though:

1. Connopolis wrote:4. Member-state shall ensure that all victims of fraud shall receive compensation for their loss equal to or greater than the value of the loss and that this compensation shall be derived from the fiscal and/or material assets of the perpetrator of the act of financial fraud which resulted in the loss,

I take it this can allow, for example, interest that would have been earned were the money not taken via fradulent means, as would probably be in the case of banking fraud (OOC: a la Nigeria scam or investment fraud), right?
  2. Connopolis wrote:5. Member-states are encouraged to share information on those who have been convicted of financial fraud upon request and co-operate with each other on the prevention of further acts of financial fraud by all possible means.

IIt would've been nice if you had included an additional statement which would've meant communication between member nations regarding ongoing cases of international fraud, or has that already been covered somewhere?

Horgen Dush
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus
Speaking very much out of turn

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:12 pm

Quelesh wrote:First, I've approved the submitted version for a vote.

Second, I regardless have a reservation about one element in particular:

3. Member-states shall take all effective preventative measures, including the creation of domestic laws, in order to eliminate financial fraud.

I'm concerned about the word "all" in this clause. This would seem to require member states to take any measures that would effectively prevent financial fraud, regardless of the negative consequences of those measures in areas unrelated to financial fraud. Essentially, preventing financial fraud would have to be the number one priority of all member states, even to the exclusion of all other priorities. I would suggest removing the word "all" before resubmitting.

My apologies if this issue has already been raised, as I have not read through this whole thread.

Ambassador, I can certainly see why one would assume that, considering the wording of the clause, however, it is of my belief that as soon as a "prevenative measure" expresses negative consequences, it's no longer effective. That's the purpose of the term "effective" in the clause. If the clause had read:

3. Member-states shall take all preventative measures, including the creation of domestic laws, in order to eliminate financial fraud.

Then a member-state would have to literally do everything that would prevent financial fraud, whether the measure is practical or otherwise.

Yours,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Damanucus wrote:
I take it this can allow, for example, interest that would have been earned were the money not taken via fradulent means, as would probably be in the case of banking fraud (OOC: a la Nigeria scam or investment fraud), right?

Unfortunately, ambassador, if the money was not taken via fraudulent means, then there is no victim involved, as defined by the proposal. However, this proposal does not prevent you from doing this on your own accord, and as such, that concern is not effected by the proposal at hand.

It would've been nice if you had included an additional statement which would've meant communication between member nations regarding ongoing cases of international fraud, or has that already been covered somewhere?

I agree, that would have been a nice addition; albeit, unnecessary. Your Excellency, as the proposal does not forbid it, you are still free to engage in such a practice.

Yours truly,
Last edited by Connopolis on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:40 pm

Connopolis wrote:as soon as a "prevenative measure" expresses negative consequences, it's no longer effective. That's the purpose of the term "effective" in the clause.

We consider "effective" as "effective for the purpose". What if it is effective for preventing fraud but overall negative consequences for other realms of life and an overall negative consequence on society?

Example: One effective measure might be that every financial transaction had to be approved by the Bureau of Transactions in our nation. It certainly would require every transaction of every form to be documented. But that will gum up the entire commercial world.

Yours,
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Moronist Decisions wrote:
Connopolis wrote:as soon as a "prevenative measure" expresses negative consequences, it's no longer effective. That's the purpose of the term "effective" in the clause.

We consider "effective" as "effective for the purpose". What if it is effective for preventing fraud but overall negative consequences for other realms of life and an overall negative consequence on society?

Example: One effective measure might be that every financial transaction had to be approved by the Bureau of Transactions in our nation. It certainly would require every transaction of every form to be documented. But that will gum up the entire commercial world.

Yours,

Ambassador, practicallity is an element of effectiveness. Jailing every citizen in your nation would stop financial fraud in its tracks, but it's most certainly not an effective means of doing so. Effectiveness isn't black and white - it incorporates several elements, and if the aspiration of the "effective" measures can only be attained through ridiculous, unreasonable terms, than it's no longer effective in the standard sense of the word.

Yours,
Last edited by Connopolis on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Ossitania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:32 am

If this wording is truly concerning to the honoured representatives from Quelesh and Moronist Decisions, I would support changing the wording to "all practical, effective preventative measures". It's worth waiting another while to reach quorum if it removes one silly flaw for people to pick at when we reach general debate. I must insist on keeping the word "all" though, as we do want to ensure this problem is curtailed. Do the honoured ambassadors agree that the addition of "practical" as a qualifying adjective is enough to assuage their fears?
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:18 am

I agree with Ossitania. While we support this resolution and wouldn't mind supporting this when it gets to the floor, we see this as a potential cause for repeal and objection for others.

Joe Smyslow
Acting Director of International Mayhem
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255

Oppressorion
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oppressorion » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:10 am

Connopolis wrote:OOC: I've submitted the draft today, as my schedule this week is subject to change considering it's the holidays and all. :blush: I'd also like to thank Opressorion for his tremendous help in creating a very high quality campaign prompt!

That's two "p"s there.
Imagine somthing like the Combine and Judge Dredd, with mind control.
My IC nation title is Oprusa, and I am human but not connected to Earth.
Do not dabble in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.
Agnostic, humanist vegetarian. Also against abortion - you get all sorts here, don't you?
DEAT: Delete with Extreme, All-Encompassing Terror!

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:24 am

OOC: I added the "p", I filed a GHR, and I modified the clause. Unfortunately, I'm looking to get this to quorum very quickly, because I won't be able to campaign effectively after from tomorrow to next monday.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:46 am

I would categorize Connopolis' interpretation of "effective" as iffy. A nation would probably be able to get away with it (the Quelesian government certainly "creatively interprets" a few resolutions), but it's a stretch.

Ossitania wrote:If this wording is truly concerning to the honoured representatives from Quelesh and Moronist Decisions, I would support changing the wording to "all practical, effective preventative measures". It's worth waiting another while to reach quorum if it removes one silly flaw for people to pick at when we reach general debate. I must insist on keeping the word "all" though, as we do want to ensure this problem is curtailed. Do the honoured ambassadors agree that the addition of "practical" as a qualifying adjective is enough to assuage their fears?

That would be adequate. I like the idea of the resolution, and I certainly wouldn't want one word to get in the way of supporting it. While I'm still not entirely thrilled with the word "all," the presence of the word "practical" would be adequate to prevent the proposal from requiring measures that harm the nation in other ways be taken just to combat financial fraud.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:02 am

Hastily re-submitted, with a campaign in progress.

Yours,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:37 pm

Connopolis wrote:Hastily re-submitted, with a campaign in progress.

Approved.

Scandavian States
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Scandavian States » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:46 pm

4. Member-state shall ensure that all victims of fraud shall receive compensation for their loss equal to or greater than the value of the loss and that this compensation shall be derived from the fiscal and/or material assets of the perpetrator of the act of financial fraud which resulted in the loss,

The Empire takes issue with the wording of this Article. Our government is substantially more authoritarian than most democracies, however we would never dream of confiscating and redistributing private property without the benefit of a civil trial. Further, this entire resolution ignores the fact that financial institutions carry insurance to cover the losses incurred by fraud. Finally, this is another case of World Assembly overreach into practices that are best handled at the national level.

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:03 pm

Since when does it say that there wouldn't be a trial?

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255

Scandavian States
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Scandavian States » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:47 pm

That's the problem, there is no mention of due process of the law.

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:14 pm

Scandavian States wrote:That's the problem, there is no mention of due process of the law.

The right to a fair trial has already been granted by prior legislation. The state cannot punish those who commit criminal offenses without fair trials. Also, I will not entertain arguments that detail the inviolability of national sovereignty.

Further, this entire resolution ignores the fact that financial institutions carry insurance to cover the losses incurred by fraud.

So are you implying that the victim not receive their stolen assets?

Yours,
Last edited by Connopolis on Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Ossitania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:21 am

Scandavian States wrote:The Empire takes issue with the wording of this Article. Our government is substantially more authoritarian than most democracies, however we would never dream of confiscating and redistributing private property without the benefit of a civil trial.

As noted, the right to a fair trial is already guaranteed.

Scandavian States wrote:Further, this entire resolution ignores the fact that financial institutions carry insurance to cover the losses incurred by fraud.

It doesn't ignore that fact. If the person who committed the fraud is caught and the stolen assets acquired, why would the institutions not be reimbursed their losses? The honoured ambassador forgets how insurance works; the losses are not covered, the insurance company gives the institution a booster shot of funds which they institution must then repay in its now-heightened premiums. The loss is still there, just distributed in a series of convenient monthly payments.

Scandavian States wrote:Finally, this is another case of World Assembly overreach into practices that are best handled at the national level.

Like the ambassador from Connopolis, I will not entertain national sovereignty arguments. If you're going to argue that this is best handled at national level, actually explain why.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Scandavian States
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Scandavian States » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:41 pm

Connopolis wrote:So are you implying that the victim not receive their stolen assets?

Yours,

"Absolutely not. In the Empire, financial institutions are required to be bonded and insured for every account. The explanation for how this works is quite complex, but the basic principle is that the bond holds the bank liable to reimburse immediately an account that has been raided by some manner of fraud and the insurance is there to make sure banks don't take losses covering those accounts. And that's all before any criminal investigation and recovery of stolen funds.

"Needless to say, the Empire has a system in place that works and we can't imagine a government that doesn't require financial institutions to have some sort of fail-safe measure."
Last edited by Scandavian States on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scandavian States
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Scandavian States » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:45 pm

Ossitania wrote:Like the ambassador from Connopolis, I will not entertain national sovereignty arguments. If you're going to argue that this is best handled at national level, actually explain why.

"You can fail to entertain all you want whenever you want. What it boils down to is that every nation is the result of a unique culture that has unique ways of dealing with common problems. This is why every single one of the resolutions your World Government clique puts forward is invariably repealed, if not rejected outright. Not that any of you have taken off your blinders long enough to see that."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives