NATION

PASSWORD

What are the NS Stats focused on police forces?

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Hannah-Vine
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 21, 2024
Left-wing Utopia

What are the NS Stats focused on police forces?

Postby Hannah-Vine » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:54 pm

Whenever I read the Nations States blurb about my nation, it always confuses me that it says that "Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare." Like, yes, there's progressive social policies in education and welfare. I definitely am consistent and persistent about that, but from the moment I sign up this nation, the blurb seems to assume I would have, or in fact insisted I do have, some large and possibly dystopian secret police force or something. Considering I'm personally a bit suspicious of police systems in real life, this feels a bit... weird.

So my question is, what stats are causing this blurb analysis?

I see that, remarkably, there's no crime stat. There is a law enforcement stat, but mine is ranked only top 86% despite that statement. I have relatively high youth rebelliousness, which I'd almost expect to undo the "especially youth crime" part, but I'm glad it doesn't as per the education and welfare. I also have a relatively high authoritarianism rank, but that sound a bit vague. I also have noticed arguably a distinct lack in issues arising that have anything to do with law enforcement or police or such themself.

Between all of this I'm left feeling like I'm missing a rather significant piece of the puzzle about how nationstates is analyzing my play.

Granted, I've come to understand that a lot of people, or at least most roleplayers, don't really care about Nation States stats. That may render this question moot in the long run. That said, I'm really curious and kinda confused. I mean, if I could ultimately trigger similar statement that didn't imply a police force or instead implied a transformative justice system, that'd be kinda cool. I realize that might get hotly debated and I don't know how that would be written code wise, but I'm curious what the equations are as is as this is concerned.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:49 am

I dunno where your assumption comes from that it's implying a large and/or dystopian secret police force. You spend almost as much on policing as social policy, which is to say, a fair bit.

(I will note that broadly, a lot of the descriptions the game has for "wow you're super insane at $x" are based on thresholds invented in 2002, when the game was created, and players' stats weren't reaching the insane heights they get to nowadays, so comparing yourself with the top-scorers and wondering why the game says your $x is super high is fraught with danger.)

For what it's worth, there is a crime stat - censusid 77 - but stats are still playing up as a result of the gigantic server issues we're still working to finish resolving. Yours is currently 2.17 - definitely on the low end.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Hannah-Vine
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 21, 2024
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hannah-Vine » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:58 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:...
For what it's worth, there is a crime stat - censusid 77 - but stats are still playing up as a result of the gigantic server issues we're still working to finish resolving. Yours is currently 2.17 - definitely on the low end.

Thank you for responding and thank you for understanding my late-night grammar / rambling. You mention "cenusid 77". Is there a way that I, as a player, can see stats listed in code form like that? I see that the ranks page is working but the trends pages aren't, and I assumed crime didn't exist since I had no results when using control+F "crime" on the ranks page.

Varanius
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 18, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Varanius » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:47 am

Hannah-Vine wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:...

Thank you for responding and thank you for understanding my late-night grammar / rambling. You mention "cenusid 77". Is there a way that I, as a player, can see stats listed in code form like that? I see that the ranks page is working but the trends pages aren't, and I assumed crime didn't exist since I had no results when using control+F "crime" on the ranks page.
It does, but like Sherp said, stats are wonky at the moment. You can't presently see the history because of that, but this is the url for when it's back up and working for what it's worth https://www.nationstates.net/nation=han ... ensusid=77

(And as you may notice, the census id is in the url, so you can easily find the census id with the stat or the stat with the census id)
Last edited by Varanius on Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Guardian of the West Pacific
Author of SC#401
Gameplays Most Popular

Angeloid Astraea wrote:I can't think of anyone that creates controversy out of nothing better than you!
Excidium Planetis wrote:Yeah, if you could enlighten me as to why you're such an asshole, that would be great.
Koth wrote:Vara is such a dedicated hater, it's impressive
Mlakhavia wrote:Vara isn't a gameplay personality, he's a concentrated ball of spite

Return to Gameplay