NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Springtime for @@LEADER@@

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Niyazovistan
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 03, 2015
Corporate Police State

[DRAFT] Springtime for @@LEADER@@

Postby Niyazovistan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:42 am

Description: Last night saw the premiere of a propaganda play meant to sing your praises, a musical titled Springtime for @@LEADER@@: A Gay Romp in @@CAPITAL@@. But rather than applauding it as a paean that sings your praises, the audience took it as some sort of twisted parody that lampoons you and your government. And to make matters worse, they found it hilarious.

Validity: Must be a dictatorship or otherwise have low political freedoms

Option 1: @@RANDOMNAMEMALE_1@@, the play's author and a devout loyalist, is downright furious at how the audience is misinterpreting his work. "This is OUTRAGEOUS! You are our glorious leader, they are the audience; you OUTRANK them! I beg you, @@LEADER@@, give these uncultured swine what they deserve, and have everyone in that audience arrested and charged with high treason!"
Effect: Theater critics are extra careful to give @@RANDOMENAMEMALE_1@@'s plays stellar reviews, or they worry it'll be the last column they ever write.

Option 2: @@RANDOMNAMEMALE_2@@, a producer and a longtime staple of the @@CAPITAL@@ theater scene, panics at the author's suggestion. "You don't want to do that my biggest donors- I mean, your most loyal citizens! You really wanna send a message, chief? Kill the actors instead! After all, it was their fault for depicting you and your advisors as such idiots in the first placeā€”not that you're idiots in the slightest, of course."
Effect: @@RANDOMNAMEMALE_2@@ Productions seems to have an awfully hard time finding willing actors to cast in its future plays.

Option 3: "NO!" cries out @@RANDOMNAMEMALE_3@@, a nervous little man who works as @@RANDOMNAMEMALE_2@@'s accountant. "You can't kill the actors, @@LEADER@@! They didn't do anything wrong!" You notice a signed photo from the play's lead actress on his desk and wonder if that may be impacting his judgement. "M-maybe you could, uh, let the show go on? A-after all, it was... *gulp* k-kinda funny."
Effect: Dissident playwrights seeking to capitalize on Springtime for @@LEADER@@'s success begin cranking out subversive comedies such as Wag the @@ANIMAL@@ and Team @@NAME@@: @@REGION@@ Police.

In all honesty, I'm surprised there isn't an event inspired by The Producers yet.
Last edited by Niyazovistan on Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Fauxia » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:21 pm

I do feel like there may be an issue along these lines, but I may just be thinking about the meme one. Anyway, if that's not the case, this is a good start.

I understand that there's a lot of gay humor in Springtime for Hitler, but @@NAME@@ might not allow homosexuality, in which case the press would surely never allow explicitly gay humor about @@LEADER@@, and in any case, that's a touchy subject, and I'm not sure how much it adds at the moment, so probably best to take that bit out of the issue and then not have to restrict the validity. Since I mentioned the validity, it shouldn't be valid for all dictatorships, as some actually do have free speech. Probably you can restrict it to state press, or in general anything with low press freedom (there may be some flags the editors have that are appropriate, not sure).

As for the options, I'm not sure why they're proposing to kill the actors and not the writer. The third option might work better if you have the suggestion be basically "the damage is already done, so you may as well save face by laughing at yourself and maybe winning some support." I also do wonder about the absence of an option to address maybe why they thought a satire of @@LEADER@@ was so funny... but then again maybe that's part of the point. Hopefully that's a little bit helpful. Good luck!
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Return to Got Issues?