NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Blast Off

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
New Garbanzia
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 01, 2023
New York Times Democracy

[DRAFT] Blast Off

Postby New Garbanzia » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:39 pm

Version 3.1 (Latest)
Changed the description to say "critically injuring a few workers" instead of "killing a dozen workers". Rewriting choice 3 soon

Validity:
Must have the policy "Capitalism"
Must not have the policy "No dissent"
Must have top 60% Scientific Advancement

Description:
In a near fatal accident, a test rocket from private spaceflight company, SpaceQ, spontaneously blew up on the launchpad, critically injuring a few nearby workers. Angry protestors have barged into your office demanding action be taken.

Choice #1:
"It looked as if a nuclear bomb had exploded!" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a particularly startled observer of the catastrophe. "These private companies and their reckless CEOs cheap out on safety in pursuit of money, leading to these disasters. This blatant carelessness almost ended the lives of innocent staff, and is completely unacceptable. Pass laws immediately that require more safety systems and crew training, so this will never happen again!"
Result:
Pre-flight safety checks are longer than the mission itself.

Choice #2:
"That's not going far enough!" remarks ex-SpaceQ employee, @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was just recently fired. "This whole space thing is just a big waste of money anyway. Why are we spending millions every year to send these hazards into orbit, just to collect some dust and rocks? The only sensible solution is to restrict the space industry, and then maybe things will stop blowing up in our faces."
Result:
What goes up must be shot down.

Choice #3:
"Let's not be too harsh, now," says SpaceQ CEO and multi-billionaire Elom Nusk. "That test rocket was meant to blow up... I think. Well, in any case, tests are done to ensure that we're ready for the real deal! This minor anomaly is simply paving the way for future success and discoveries, so let's not let it get in the way."
Result:
SpaceQ rockets have a tendency to crumple apart.

Choice #4 (Must have Space Program):
Just then, head administrator @@RANDOMNAME@@ of @@NAMEINITIALS@@SO, the @@NAME@@ Space Organization, walks in. "There's a bigger problem here, you know. It's that your putting a very important industry in the hands of these idiotic CEOs. If we didn't have the space industry obstructed by so many private, greedy, businesses, maybe we could make some actual progress. Oh, and surely a couple more million a year wouldn't hurt, right?"
Result:
All model rocket sets are @@NAMEINITIALS@@SO approved.

Version 2:
Validity:

Description:
In a fatal accident, a test rocket from private spaceflight company, SpaceQ, spontaneously blew up on the launchpad, killing dozens of nearby workers. The public is in uproar and demands action be taken.

Choice #1:
"This is horrific!" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, an observer of the catastrophe. "It looked as if a nuclear bomb had exploded! These private companies and their rich CEOs cheap out on safety in pursuit of money, leading to these disasters. Pass laws immediately that require more safety systems and training so this could never happen again!"
Result:

Choice #2:
"Let's not be too harsh, now," says SpaceQ CEO and multi-billionaire Elom Nusk. "That test rocket was meant to blow up... I think. Well, in any case, tests are done to ensure that we're ready for the real deal! You can't expect us to get it right on the first try. Instead of making it harder for us to advance, how about we drop this minor mistake, and while you're at it, subsidize the space industry."
Result:[/b]
Many @@DEMONYM@@ travel to rocket launch sites for a free 4th of July show.

Choice #3:
"Meant to blow up?! Are you delusional?!" exclaims ex-SpaceQ employee, @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was just recently fired for undisclosed reasons. "This whole space thing is just a big waste of money anyway. Why are we spending millions every year to send up metal cans into orbit, just to collect some space rocks? Ban all these nonsensical space companies and maybe things will stop blowing up in our faces."
Result:

Validity: Must have "Space Program"
Choice #4:
Just then, head administrator @@RANDOMNAME@@ of @@NAMEINITIALS@@SO, the @@NAME@@ Space Organization, walks in. "I know the real problem here! It's that your putting a very important industry in the hands of these idiotic CEOs. If we didn't have the space industry occupied by so many private, greedy, businesses, maybe we could make some actual progress. Oh, and surely a couple more million a year wouldn't hurt, right?"
Result:
Model rocket sets have to be @@NAMEINITIALS@@SO certified.

Version 1:
Description:
In a fatal accident, a test rocket from private spaceflight company, SpaceQ, spontaneously blew up on the launchpad, killing dozens of nearby workers. The public is in uproar and demands action be taken.

Choice #1:
"This is horrific!" says @@RADNOMNAME@@, an observer of the catastrophe. "It looked as if a nuclear bomb had exploded! And it all could've been prevented! These private companies and their rich CEOs cheap out on safety in pursuit of money. Pass laws immediately that require more safety systems and training so this could never happen again!"
Result:
Half of a rocket is reserved for safety equipment.

Choice #2:
"Let's not be too harsh, now," says SpaceQ CEO and multi-billionaire Elom Nusk. "That test rocket was meant to blow up... I think. Well, in any case, tests are done to ensure that we're ready for the real deal! You can't expect us to get it right on the first try. Instead of making it harder for us to advance, how about we drop this minor mistake, and while you're at it, subsidize the space industry."
Result:
Many @@DEMONYM@@ travel to rocket launch sites for a free July 4th show.

Choice #3:
"Meant to blow up?! Are you delusional?!" exclaims ex-SpaceQ employee, @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was just recently fired for undisclosed reasons. "This whole space thing is just a big waste of money anyway. Why are we spending millions in every year to send up metal cans into orbit, just to collect some far away rocks and dust? Ban all these nonsensical space companies and maybe things will stop blowing up in our faces."
Result:

Choice #4:
Just then, head administrator @@RANDOMNAME@@ of @@NAMEINITIALS@@SO, the @@NAME@@ Space Organization, walks in. "I know the real problem here! It's that your putting a very important industry in the hands of these idiotic CEOs. If we didn't have the space industry occupied by so many private, greedy, businesses, maybe we could make some actual progress. Oh, and surely a couple more million a year wouldn't hurt, right?"
Result:
Outer space is flooded with debris with @@NAMEINITIALS@@SO logos.
Last edited by New Garbanzia on Wed May 01, 2024 8:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Ancientania
Minister

Founded: May 07, 2023
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ancientania » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:44 pm

Add:
Validity: Must have the policy "capitalism"
Must have top 30% Scientific Advancement

Take this as you will

This was written before I read the rest of the idea

Additional Validity for choice four: Must have the Policy "Space Program"
Last edited by Ancientania on Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geography nerd, Political especially
10-20 years old, Gen Z
American Jew, He/him Male
Class: 0.86
If you sue me I'll take your kneecaps. Threats count too.
Kneecaps stolen 24(x2)
NS stats have met my little buddy over here *Cocks gun*
Militant... main sig is also IC. High welfare. TGs are for any purpose. Proud delegate of TOH.
[What's this button do?]
[NO DON'T TOUCH THAT]
[What about this one?] [NOT THAT EITHER]
[Ooh shiny] [NO]
{BOOM}
The Centennial Radio: I don't need you to worry for me 'cause I'm alright/I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home/I don't care what you say anymore this is my life/Go ahead with your own life leave me alone//That was My Life by Billy Joel. Now taking requests!

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:08 pm

Umm.

I've read that SpaceX has had a lot of rockets exploding, enough for the FAA to get annoyed with them, but I don't recall anyone actually dying in those explosions. They're not that reckless.

New Garbanzia
Civil Servant

New York Times Democracy

Postby New Garbanzia » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:17 pm

Ancientania wrote:Add:
Validity: Must have the policy "capitalism"
Must have top 30% Scientific Advancement

Take this as you will

This was written before I read the rest of the idea

Additional Validity for choice four: Must have the Policy "Space Program"

Thanks for the validity stuff, I had already put in capitalism but forgot to put it in the post
Last edited by New Garbanzia on Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancientania
Minister

Founded: May 07, 2023
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ancientania » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:22 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Umm.

I've read that SpaceX has had a lot of rockets exploding, enough for the FAA to get annoyed with them, but I don't recall anyone actually dying in those explosions. They're not that reckless.

It doesn't have to be entirely factual
Geography nerd, Political especially
10-20 years old, Gen Z
American Jew, He/him Male
Class: 0.86
If you sue me I'll take your kneecaps. Threats count too.
Kneecaps stolen 24(x2)
NS stats have met my little buddy over here *Cocks gun*
Militant... main sig is also IC. High welfare. TGs are for any purpose. Proud delegate of TOH.
[What's this button do?]
[NO DON'T TOUCH THAT]
[What about this one?] [NOT THAT EITHER]
[Ooh shiny] [NO]
{BOOM}
The Centennial Radio: I don't need you to worry for me 'cause I'm alright/I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home/I don't care what you say anymore this is my life/Go ahead with your own life leave me alone//That was My Life by Billy Joel. Now taking requests!

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:04 pm

People are not going to shrug off an explosion that killed dozens of people as "just a planned test, no biggie". If you're expecting your rocket to explode and consider that a successful result, then you don't put people in the blast range.

New Garbanzia
Civil Servant

New York Times Democracy

Postby New Garbanzia » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:31 pm

This is my 3rd rendition of this issue after a long break from thinking about it. After receiving purely negative feedback I'm going to try and work on this some more and take in suggestions.
Please don't comment if all you're going to say is that it sucks.

Validity:

Description:
In a fatal accident, a test rocket from private spaceflight company, SpaceQ, spontaneously blew up on the launchpad, killing dozens of nearby workers. Angry protestors have barged into your office demanding action be taken.

Choice #1:
"It looked as if a nuclear bomb had exploded!" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a particularly startled observer of the catastrophe. "These private companies and their reckless CEOs cheap out on safety in pursuit of money, leading to these disasters. This blatant carelessness ended the lives of innocent staff, and is completely unacceptable. Pass laws immediately that require more safety systems and crew training, so this will never happen again!"
Result:

Choice #2:
"That's not going far enough!" remarks ex-SpaceQ employee, @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was just recently fired. "This whole space thing is just a big waste of money anyway. Why are we spending millions every year to send these hazards into orbit, just to collect some dust and rocks? The only sensible solution is to restrict the space industry, and then maybe things will stop blowing up in our faces."
Result:

Choice #3:
"Let's not be too harsh, now," says SpaceQ CEO and multi-billionaire Elom Nusk. "That test rocket was meant to blow up... I think. Well, in any case, tests are done to ensure that we're ready for the real deal! This minor anomaly is simply paving the way for future success and discoveries, so let's not let it get in the way."
Result:
SpaceQ rockets have a tendency to crumple apart.

Validity: Must have Space Program
Choice #4:
Just then, head administrator @@RANDOMNAME@@ of @@NAMEINITIALS@@SO, the @@NAME@@ Space Organization, walks in. "There's a bigger problem here, you know. It's that your putting a very important industry in the hands of these idiotic CEOs. If we didn't have the space industry obstructed by so many private, greedy, businesses, maybe we could make some actual progress. Oh, and surely a couple more million a year wouldn't hurt, right?"
Result:
All model rocket sets are @@NAMEINITIALS@@SO approved.
Last edited by New Garbanzia on Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Vooperian Union
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 11, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Vooperian Union » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:39 pm

Add a variant of the one that requires a space agency for if you do not have one? To start one?
WELCOME TO VURAN. BEGINNING RADIO BROADCAST.
Welcome to the dieselpunk early space empire we call Vuran. Here, tanks and spaceships alike burn diesel, giant zeppelins pump black smog into the air as they fly, and vast orbtal reflectors compensate for the ludicrous CO2 emissions. Remember your gas masks, the pollution in some areas will kill you outright without it! But you can always just move to the moon, right?
Sup, I'm the genderflux enTETy and creator of TETea™!
You may know me, you may not, but I ALWAYS COME BACK. Factbooks not-canon; they are under rework.
No, I won't stop trying to turn people into furries.
Allied to the Reggies.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:38 pm

Hi, welcome to Got Issues. I have to make a couple of comments.

In the first place, standard procedure is to edit new drafts into the original post, spoilering old drafts to make it not look too cluttered. It's much easier to address the latest draft if we can see it off the bat. Secondly, Got Issues? is here to help. Sometimes something in a draft doesn't cut the mustard, and the author needs to be told that in order to improve the draft. It's really nothing personal—we're trying to make your issue better. I understand some posters may be gentler about this than others, but if someone like Trotterdam, who has been around for years, makes a comment about your issue, you really should consider listening to it. If you're going to take criticism personally, you can send in drafts without posting them on this forum, but you may not achieve your fullest potential as an author.

With that out of the way, let's actually get to the draft. Your correct that the issue doesn't need to be fully realistic, but Trotterdam's point definitely holds for Option 3 as it stands—Elon is not going to just admit to killing dozens like that (and that number probably is too high). That option also doesn't do anything at the moment, so there's barely a reason for it. What's a change (even if minor) that Elon could propose as an alternative response?

Overall, the execution feels a bit flat. That's not to say that it's poor writing, but it's not that humorous and the options are rather predictable. See if you can spice it up a little. For one, you simply switched some consonants in Elon's name, but there's a long tradition of variations on it in NS—is there a funnier version you can come up with?

Best of luck.
12x Issue Author
2x SC Author
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Freemasons, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, the Freemasons or any other organization. Unless I say they do, I suppose.

New Garbanzia
Civil Servant

New York Times Democracy

Postby New Garbanzia » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:01 pm

Fauxia wrote:Hi, welcome to Got Issues. I have to make a couple of comments.

In the first place, standard procedure is to edit new drafts into the original post, spoilering old drafts to make it not look too cluttered. It's much easier to address the latest draft if we can see it off the bat. Secondly, Got Issues? is here to help. Sometimes something in a draft doesn't cut the mustard, and the author needs to be told that in order to improve the draft. It's really nothing personal—we're trying to make your issue better. I understand some posters may be gentler about this than others, but if someone like Trotterdam, who has been around for years, makes a comment about your issue, you really should consider listening to it. If you're going to take criticism personally, you can send in drafts without posting them on this forum, but you may not achieve your fullest potential as an author.

With that out of the way, let's actually get to the draft. Your correct that the issue doesn't need to be fully realistic, but Trotterdam's point definitely holds for Option 3 as it stands—Elon is not going to just admit to killing dozens like that (and that number probably is too high). That option also doesn't do anything at the moment, so there's barely a reason for it. What's a change (even if minor) that Elon could propose as an alternative response?

Overall, the execution feels a bit flat. That's not to say that it's poor writing, but it's not that humorous and the options are rather predictable. See if you can spice it up a little. For one, you simply switched some consonants in Elon's name, but there's a long tradition of variations on it in NS—is there a funnier version you can come up with?

Best of luck.

I appreciate your honest feedback, and I have a few questions. Firstly, can you clarify on what you mean by editing new drafts into the original post and whatnot? I am relatively new to this website and never written an issue before (bit of a tangent but I was not expecting this whole process of writing, revisions and feedback). I'm still very confused about where to paste in new drafts, what old stuff to edit out, and all that like you said. Secondly, what would you suggest to help with unpredictability? While writing I did feel this a bit, the standard issue template of argument for, counter-argument against, etc. I wouldn't know how to go about changing it up

You don't have to spend time out of your day responding to a random person's internet thread, but I would appreciate the help greatly.
Thanks

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:41 pm

New Garbanzia wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Hi, welcome to Got Issues. I have to make a couple of comments.

Best of luck.

I appreciate your honest feedback, and I have a few questions. Firstly, can you clarify on what you mean by editing new drafts into the original post and whatnot? I am relatively new to this website and never written an issue before (bit of a tangent but I was not expecting this whole process of writing, revisions and feedback). I'm still very confused about where to paste in new drafts, what old stuff to edit out, and all that like you said. Secondly, what would you suggest to help with unpredictability? While writing I did feel this a bit, the standard issue template of argument for, counter-argument against, etc. I wouldn't know how to go about changing it up

You don't have to spend time out of your day responding to a random person's internet thread, but I would appreciate the help greatly.
Thanks

No worries :) I also sometimes come off as more blunt than I mean to, so I apologize for that. I don't want to scare you away from writing issues in any case; you seem to have picked up a lot of the idea in just a couple of months on the site.

As for the issue, I'm not saying you necessarily need to change the structure of the issue radically. It's okay if issues generally follow the same formula. However, since nations can always dismiss the issue, options that don't really do anything are generally frowned upon, so in the specific case of Option 3, I think the option could use a tweak where Elon proposes some change, even if small. As for my point about humor, issues are supposed to be funny, so any jokes you might be able to add are always appreciated.

When it comes to posting new drafts, standard practice in GI is that whoever's reading your draft should be able to just open the thread and read it immediately; that helps to contextualize discussion and is just easier to find if someone's commenting on the draft. So instead of posting the draft in a completely new post (that will be displayed later down the page), we edit the original post containing the original draft, copy-paste/type in the new draft into the top of that post, and hide the old one behind a spoiler using the command
Code: Select all
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I hope that helps :)
12x Issue Author
2x SC Author
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Freemasons, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, the Freemasons or any other organization. Unless I say they do, I suppose.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?