NATION

PASSWORD

A Fateful Winter’s Night [Invite Only]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Aureumterra III
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

A Fateful Winter’s Night [Invite Only]

Postby Aureumterra III » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:32 pm

Possible Mature Content Warning

(Post co-written with Ghant and Kylarnatia)

(Following the events of Of Wolves and Lions)

Potens, Aureumterra

There were few times the Imperial Court was as busy as it was over the past few days. Dignitaries to Höll Glæsilegt being fairly rare in general, receiving the Crown Prince of Ghant for a more intimate meeting at the main Imperial Palace served as a prelude to the event to come. The Crown Prince’s initial stay served as both a personal - regarding his rumored courtship with Christina, Imperial Princess of Aureumterra - and a diplomatic event between the two neighboring empires.

Through the afternoon and into the evening, there weren’t any formal events involving the two parties, at least until dinner. Time was given for the Ghantish to attend to their own needs and duties, while the household staff at Glæsilegt prepared for the dinner that night. The dinner was a fairly rare opportunity for members of the Ghantish party to personally meet with the Emperor and Empress in Glæsilegt, being a much more formal event than the casual lunch they had earlier with the Crown Prince alone.

The Crown Prince attended wearing formal attire of the Ghantish Imperial Court, and was accompanied by the various dignitaries and diplomats who had traveled with him. His illegitimate half-brother Victor joined them at the table, though the Crown Prince had urged him to keep a low profile, hoping to hide his father’s shame and his mother’s insult from the Aureumterran Emperor and Empress. To that end, Victor wore a uniform consistent with a member of the Imperial entourage, but not that of a Prince of Ghant. Indeed, the Crown Prince was keen to keep the dinner as formal and reserved as possible, especially considering how Ghantish diplomats had, in the past, been prone to gaffes, and the Crown Prince was not one to be embarrassed, least of all by a politician.

As such, a carefully orchestrated standard state dinner followed, with dignitaries from each side exchanging pleasantries, affirming commitments to bilateral ties, and all the usual orders of business that came with such affairs. The Emperor, Empress, and Christina having shed their more inquisitive and curious tones earlier for a façade of diplomatic pleasance in the presence of various bureaucrats and diplomats.

Afterwards, everyone dispersed to unwind and retire for the night, somewhat earlier than usual, to prepare for the momentous occasion the next day. A co-celebration of the fifth year of Emperor Frederik IV’s position on the throne and the anniversary of the Eternal Coronation of Cnut I in 1060 AD, which had seen the beginning of the Empire of Aureumterra.

The Crown Prince and Victor retired from the presence of the Aureumterrans in short order following the dinner, in order to prepare for the next day’s festivities. It wasn’t lost on either of them who was coming to join them from Ghant. From what they gathered, his sister Sara, the Princess Imperial, was leading a party of Ghantish Imperial Family members consisting of their siblings Prince John, Prince Nicholas, Prince William, Princess Valerie and possibly Princess Grace, assuming she could finagle a spot in the entourage.

The Crown Prince ran through various scenarios with Victor throughout the night, assessing the variables and potential blunders each of his siblings might commit. “John is going to embarass himself, Valerie is going to say something stupid to someone, Nicholas will find a way to challenge my authority publicly, William is going to tell someone an off-putting joke and Grace is going to eat all the sweets if Sara is generous enough to let her attend.”

Victor didn’t seem to disagree with any of that, though he pointed out to the Crown Prince that “Sara will keep them under control.” Perhaps when they were younger that was true, but as that lot got older they seemed less inclined to cooperate. “God forbid Frederik’s man-child brother is in attendance,” the Crown Prince dragged his hands down his face with an audible groan. “Valerie would have a great deal of amusement at the poor prince’s expense.” His mind for the rest of the night, even as he retired to his own chambers and laid down to go to sleep, was focused on damage control.

Rather uncharacteristic for his personality, the Emperor was fairly anxious in anticipation of the event. Frederik had maintained an enigmatic public image since his time taking the throne, having been raised to constantly be stoic, expressionless, and rarely too exposed to the public eye personally. Unlike his mother’s outgoing, charming, maternal public image, the Emperor was a mystery to many in Aureumterra itself. His wife often took on most publicly facing duties, attending to various functions, charity events, and public projects in front of the camera, while he preferred the comfort of his palaces and estates. Most foreign dignitaries, save for those with familial ties or close personal relationships, never interacted with the Emperor personally or even set foot in court, usually keeping their business with the Chief Minister and Foreign Minister. As such, it was fairly stressful for the Emperor, making preparations for the gala to come and ensuring everything is just perfect, a characteristic of his which his sister often labeled an obsession.

As the next day arose, the seamless system the Emperor oversaw on a daily basis in his court went into overdrive, making preparations across the city of Potens, in Gustavsborg Palace, for the night to come. Hundreds of staff members scurried about Glæsilegt, making preparations for the departure of the Imperial Court and its transportation to Gustavsborg, while preparations in the latter palace had been running for a better part of a couple weeks.

Frederik was used to beginning his day well before sunrise, a practice he had retained from his time in the Imperial Navy, never missing his fitness regime in the mornings before the day’s orders of business. Following his morning routine, he reviewed final preparations for the subsequent night before preparing to travel to Gustavsborg with the rest of the Imperial Court.

Usually, the Emperor traveled within Potens by helicopter, the IFA Sølfugl, which could safely and securely make quick trips around the capital metro area without causing major disturbances to commuters in the already congested metropolis. However, due to practically the entire Imperial Court traveling, a massive motorcade was arranged to transport them across the city, the procession with the famed Sølvogn - a modified limousine which served as the official state car of the Emperor - as its centerpiece. It would be accompanied by nearly sixty vehicles comprising of courtiers, ladies-in-waiting, security and medical personnel, and the Ghantish delegation.

For residents of Potens, the motorcade was still a spectacle to behold. The Emperor rarely stepping out of the confines of the palaces by road made it a fairly remarkable event in the city, as crowds hearing the news would pour out to catch a rare live glimpse of their enigmatic sovereign.

As the procession snaked through the busy streets of the capital, with leading police and Imperial Guard vehicles closing off roads and clearing the path for it to move unimpeded, Frederik remained somewhat anxious, his mind on ensuring the night ahead went as smoothly as he preferred all things to be. He paid little heed to the devoted crowds of Imperial subjects outside the impenetrable windows of the Sølvogn, in much contrast to his wife.

Eventually, the procession made its way to its final destination. The line of vehicles entered the vast, ordered courtyard of Gustavsborg Palace. Gustavsborg could really best be described as three main buildings connected by fairly narrow corridors and passageways. On the sides were two symmetrical, flanking palace buildings that wrapped around the courtyard, showing glimpses into the gardens behind it. These two buildings mostly contained the apartments the guests would be staying in that night. The central portion of the palace was a vast spired structure, with a large, blue-golden dome that towered over the buildings of the Østerren district of Potens around it, making it the centerpiece of this structure of 19th century Imperial Aureumterran architecture. The central courtyard was vast, with an intricate fountain depicting singing angels and the Eternal Coronation of Cnut I at its nexus.

The palace was about as crawling with staff, Imperial Guards, and various official personnel for the night as Glæsilegt was. Staff awaiting the arrival of the motorcade quickly moved to open the doors of the Sølvogn, prostrating as the Emperor and Empress stepped out. The rest of the personnel accompanying them scrambled to orderly begin preparing things for the arrival of the rest of the Senior Imperial Family.

Ingrid exchanged a few words with one of the palace staff receiving the motorcade, before he walked off. She turned to her husband, “I’ve reviewed everything for the afternoon, everything is going smoothly. Captain Højin has informed me the routes are cleared, we should be ready to receive everyone as they arrive.”

“And everyone is on time?” Frederik asked, while continuing to gaze at the vast dome of the palace as he strode across the courtyard towards its gates.

“As far as I know, yes.” Ingrid nodded. The two of them were still dressed in their morning court dresses, her wearing a white dress with a rose floral patterning, a style which had become a signature of the Empress. Frederik wore his black court uniform, with the Midnight Sun emblem emblazoned on his chest and two golden chains swinging across his shoulders onto a pair of epaulets. They intended to change into their outfits for the night later.

Staff, Imperial Guards, and other personnel prostrated as the Emperor and Empress approached the palace doors, their stride uninterrupted as the doors swung open, revealing a modestly sized reception room, at other end of which, a hallway led into the main rotunda of the palace.

The rotunda of Gustavsborg was a vast, central chamber which was a magnificent work of architecture unto itself. The two sides of the room led to the hallways that connected to all of the apartments of the building, while another large set of gilded doors at the other end of the hallway led into the main ballroom - the primary venue of the gala that night. Above, the interior of the vast dome was beautifully painted, with a stunning 19th century romantic work depicting the Heavenly Fifteen, each ridge of the dome segmenting the painting into sections depicting each of the revered Hæstirétts, and the central spire depicting Cnut I himself sitting on a throne at the foot of God the Father.

Ingrid put a hand on Frederik’s shoulder as they stepped into the rotunda, “I should probably stay at the courtyard to receive our folks as they arrive.”

The Emperor nodded, turning around as the rest of the retinue made its way in. “I’ll go inspect the ballroom.”

Ingrid was about to ask why Frederik didn’t want to stay out to receive their family members, but decided against it. The pair parted ways, the monarch walking into the room while Ingrid stood for a moment by herself in the rotunda, as staff went about their duties around her. She turned around and began to walk back outside, a slower and more easy pace than the one she had earlier to keep up with her determined husband.

Svaga!” Ingrid heard a shout, turning to find Christina approaching her in the reception room. “Sorry, I couldn’t seem to find you or Frede as I was walking in… the others must be arriving shortly, right?”

“Yes,” Ingrid nodded to Christina as she resumed her pace, “I’m heading to the courtyard, they shouldn’t be too far behind. You should probably get freshened up, we have a long day.”

“I’ll come with you, I haven’t seen them in months.” Christina smiled, as she followed Ingrid. “It is quite comforting that they’re all here, so it’s not just the four of us hosting everything tonight.”

Ingrid took a careful glance around the reception room, making sure everything was going smoothly before walking out into the courtyard, standing beneath the overhang of the palace’s main entrance. The Empress didn’t resemble her husband in most aspects, but one characteristic they both shared was their intolerance for imperfections, especially when the stakes were high. Christina stood slightly behind her, as Imperial Life Guards, dressed in ceremonial uniform, lined the road leading into the courtyard. The large motorcade that was here minutes ago had dispersed, clearing the courtyard for the arrival of more vehicles.

Among the last people to enter the palace from the first motorcade was the Crown Prince of Ghant and his entourage, who hurried into the building with the Crown Prince at the front of the party. Victor wasn’t too far behind him, and both of them admired the architecture and artistry of the palace interior. “Not bad,” the Crown Prince nodded in appreciation. “Quality craftsmanship.”

“We should have a few hours before Sara and the others arrive,” Victor said to the Crown Prince as they walked. “We can take this time to get settled into our rooms and prepare for tonight’s festivities.”

The Crown Prince nodded his head in agreement. “Yes, preparation is the key to success. I’m going to need you to keep an eye on the troublemakers tonight, Victor. I don’t need to explain which one’s I’m referring to.”

Victor understood that the troublemakers referred to Valerie, Nicholas and William specifically. The ones Bebe cannot control. Burying the thought, Victor swallowed hard and replied, “aye, I can do that.”

“Good, I would expect nothing less,” the Crown Prince nodded with a stern expression as they entered further into the palace towards the suite. “By the way, Victor, you know how these types of events have a tendency to get my blood up. I might have to acquire a squeeze for the evening, if you know what I mean.”

“...You sure that’s a good idea?” Victor understood what few people did, that Bebe, like their father, had a carnal appetite, and for all the talk of piety and chastity that surrounded the Crown Prince, he certainly enjoyed the intimate company of women. “You are here on a diplomatic mission that could result in formal courtship with Princess Christina.”

The Crown Prince laughed. “That doesn’t mean that I can’t sow my princely oats! A man is expected to be proficient in the application of his tools, after all. So let us see what wares await us at the ball, and go from there, shall we?”

“...As you say, your Highness.” The Ghantish party found their way to their suites in short order, and went into their rooms to await the rest of the Ghantish party, and the events of the evening.

Out of the corner of her eye, Ingrid noticed Christina wearing a silver heart-shaped pendant around her neck. She turned and inspected it somewhat closer, picking it in her hand and examining it, “You’re wearing it tonight?”

Christina touched the necklace with the pendant, “Yep… feel like it’s an appropriate occasion. I haven’t worn it since-”

“Our wedding.” Ingrid finished her thought.

Christina smiled, “We haven’t had anything as big since, after all. I figured I might as well wear it, mom did say it’s special.” She carefully rested the pendant back on her neck.

They were interrupted by the Imperial Guards snapping a salute as another group of vehicles drove into the courtyard. A few black SUVs with police lights accompanied a sleek, cream colored limousine. A few formally dressed staffers stepped out of one of the SUVs, opening the door of the limousine, allowing an aged woman dressed in a blue fur coat and scarf to step out. She donned a somewhat clumsy but large blue sun hat, and carried a black leather designer purse in her right arm. Her chest carried the Midnight Sun Emblem and the Åltæden’s coat of arms, making it known she was a woman of senior Imperial rank. She didn’t have a very tall stature, but her gray hair and face nonetheless carried a warm, somewhat maternal charm. Another, much younger woman exited from the other side, with jet black hair and a smaller but similar hat. She wore a fairly simple floral dress and bore the same emblem on her breast as the other woman.

Christina rushed forward and embraced the older woman in a tight hug, “Auntie! It is so good to see you again!”

Heike - sister of the late Hæstirétta - embraced Christina in a somewhat protective gesture, “You’ve grown so much, Chrissy! Soon you’ll be walking down the aisle before you know it.”

Christina laughed, easing herself out of the hug, “Best not to rush things, after all, who knows what surprises tonight holds.”

Heike grinned, “I’ve heard you’ve been courted…?”

The princess maintained a slight smile, “It’s not official… at least not yet. But he is here, and he seems… decent so far.”

Heike somewhat lowered her voice, leaning into Christina, “Be careful, men can be shifty. It’s not a decision to take lightly. You don’t want to end up regretting it when it’s too late.”

Christina nodded, letting out a slight sigh, “I’ll observe him more tonight. I’ve heard enough about his father, but thankfully he seems quite unlike him. And, well, if one thing doesn’t work out, there’s plenty of fish in the sea.”

The matronly older woman leaned back and smiled warmly, giving Christina a pat on the shoulder, “Of course, as always. I’m just happy that you seem to be happy, it’s strange seeing you after so long. I still remember the girl who would clumsily fall off horses at Överhallen.”

Christina blushed, looking down while smiling, “Don’t remind me.”

Heike caught sight of her pendant, “It’s wonderful to see you wearing that again.” She told the younger princess, gazing at the sleek silver heart on Christina’s chest.

The two were interrupted by the other younger woman, exiting the limousine from the other door, “If you two are done with your reunion, I need to know where I should tell the staff to put my things.” Her locks of brown hair rested on her shoulders, giving a clean-cut appearance.

“Come on Maja, at least say hello to your cousin first.” Heike scolded, a frown forming on her face.

Christina snickered, “I see you haven’t changed, Maja.”

“-And, I can take care of that.” Ingrid announced as she approached the limousine. “Everything will be where you’re staying, the staff will take care of everything.”

Heike looked to see the Empress, “Oh Ingrid! I didn’t even notice you, I’m so sorry!” She walked up and hugged the Empress, who returned the gesture. “And congratulations!”

“No problem at all, and thank you. I hope you’ve been in good health.” Ingrid smiled at Heike.

“I’ve been just fine. And you, dear?”

“Busy, mostly.” The Empress remarked with a somewhat exhausted smile.

“Oh I can imagine. You seem like you’re always everywhere.” Heike put her purse up as she straightened herself.

“What can I say? It’s part of my lot in life, after all.” Ingrid chuckled, “I don’t have as much going on with appearances or events after tonight. Should give some time to unwind.”

“You are always welcome at Margatetshavn, dear. You should come by sometimes, bring Madalena too.” Heike offered the Empress.

Ingrid nodded, looking back towards Gustavsborg, “Frederik and I are planning to spend a week or two at Heidrakorounu after this. I really haven’t had any time with Madalena, this would be my first opportunity to spend some time with her.” It had been about half a year since Frederik and Ingrid had their first daughter.

“Where is she now?” Heike asked.

“She should be sleeping, she usually does in the afternoon. I left her with my ladies.” Ingrid replied. “You can see her if you want, she started doing short crawls now, and has learned to say “Mama.”

Heike put her hands crossed over her heart, “Oh that’s precious! I haven’t had a chance to properly congratulate the two of you. Where is Frede?”

Ingrid’s smile somewhat stammered, “He’s in the ballroom, feel free to go in, he’ll be delighted to see you again.”

Heike furrowed her brow, “I hope he’s doing well.”

Ingrid shrugged, “You know how it is.”

Heike nodded and began to make her way into the palace when she caught sight of a young man with curly brown hair in a black princely court dress walking out.

“Leo! Come to mama!” She beamed as Leo blushed, looking down. Nonetheless, he walked forward and embraced Heike in an intimate hug. “I’ve been worried about you! So much is happening in court, I hear.”

“Not to worry, mom. They’re taking good care of me.” Leo laughed.

Maja approached from behind, smirking at Leo, “So do you get to sign off on starting wars yet?”

“Fortunately not.” Leo hugged Maja as well, “I hope you aren’t fucking that overrated punk rock guy anymore.”

“Leo!” Heike exclaimed, to which he smirked.

“We’re over. I’m back on the prowl now.” Maja looked back at the palace, “Wonder if anyone interesting is coming tonight.”

“I think you’d be hard pressed to find a man of your type tonight, unless there’s some surprises.” Leo said with a grin, “I do have the guest list… there are some Norfolkites but they’re all women. Maybe one of the princes may hold a surprise.”

“I wonder how Brada will react to them. Hopefully not explosively.” Maja smiled.

Leo shook his head, “I think he’s just worried about everything going smoothly more than anything else. You know how it is.”

“The obsessive perfectionist, as always.” Christina chimed in as she approached the siblings. “I hope he mellows out a bit, he can be scary to guests otherwise.” She said with a sarcastic chuckle.

Another convoy of vehicles entered the courtyard, this time with two limousines. Imperial Guards opened the doors for both, with a middle aged man and a woman with bright blonde hair stepping out of the first limousine, while a young, late teenage boy stepped out of the second one accompanied by a relatively older but nonetheless young woman on the other side. All of them wore Midnight Sun emblems on their chests.

Christina ran to the young boy and hugged him, “Andre! How was your semester?”

“Not bad, I get my first deployment early next year.” His tone carried a degree of nervousness as he remarked. “Where is Brada?”

“He’s inside. I think he’ll be happy to see you, you don’t know how anxious he gets about you.” Christina leaned down to Andre as she spoke, “We have other guests arriving soon too, so you may want to go see him.”

Andre nodded and stood up, he hugged and exchanged pleasantries with Ingrid and made his way into the palace. The middle aged man and woman accompanying him - Rasmus and Alma - meanwhile hugged Leo, “How have you been, Lele?”

Leo rolled his eyes at his older brother’s nickname, one that he had carried for his entire life from him, “Please don’t.”

Rasmus laughed and put a hand on Leo’s shoulder, while Alma nervously stood by. Ingrid recognized her anxiety and smiled warmly at her, “It’s wonderful seeing you as well. You look as beautiful as ever, Alma.”

Alma slightly smiled, acknowledging the Empress’ compliment. Despite all the years, she still felt somewhat anxious at formal events with the clan, taking a while to open up. Unlike the others present, she was born a commoner, working as an actress in Drødal for many years when she met Rasmus. Their union was a controversial one within the clan at the time, due to Rasmus’ senior rank, but they nonetheless went through with it and married. Alma initially felt quite intimidated in the presence of the other senior members of the clan, especially the then Crown Prince and Crown Princess - now Emperor and Empress - but nonetheless mellowed over the years to become more comfortable in their presence.

Rasmus hugged the Empress, greeting her with a kiss on her hand, “As are you, Ingrid. Congratulations, by the way.”

Ingrid continued to smile, “Thank you. It’s been a busy few months, as you can probably relate.”

Alma nodded, “Although it is nice to have an entire team to take care of your daughter for you. Makes your own life much easier.”

Ingrid sighed, glancing at the courtyard, “Perhaps. I do wish I got more time with her though, I hopefully should in the coming weeks.”

The other younger woman, who had exited the limousine with Andre meanwhile hugged Christina.

“Estelle! I didn’t expect to see you here.” Christina exclaimed, as she exchanged pleasantries with her.

“Mom told me quite late, but I took some time off from my work in Eyjanes to attend. Met up with mom, Rasmus and Alma yesterday and picked Andre up at that. We’ve been bouncing around since last night.” Estelle said somewhat tiredly, smiling in acknowledgment to Ingrid as well.

“You have some time to rest before the guests of the night arrive, thankfully.” Christina informed her, “Speaking of Eyjanes, how are the horses looking?”

“They’re all healthy and groomed, we plan on putting them in the race next month, but we have a bit more conditioning to do prior.” The younger princess told Christina, speaking about her prized Lagomvík horses, a five-gaited breed only found in the warm regions of southern Aureumterra.

“I’ll head inside.” Heike informed the group that had gathered in the courtyard, as she made her way into the palace.

Rasmus nodded to her, “I’ll catch up with you there in a bit, mom.”

The Imperial Guards opened the doors to the ballroom as Heike’s stiletto boots made echoing clicking noises in the vast interior of the room. Frederik and Andre stood at the center of the room, examining a golden, bejeweled fountain which would serve as a centerpiece in the ballroom that night, one which depicted horses facing upwards towards the roof, with a figure depicting Hæstirétta Lisette II in full regalia in the middle, on a throne held up by angels.

The monarch turned around as he heard Heike stepping in, almost on instinct putting a protective hand on Andre’s shoulder, before realizing who it was. She curtsied to Frederik, as was custom when greeting the Hæstirétt no matter one’s own rank.

Frederik cracked a rare smile, and embraced Heike in an intimate hug, “I’m happy you could make it, aunt.”

She lifted her hand, straightening the Emperor’s hair and returning his smile, “I wouldn’t miss it.” She paused, taking Frederik’s hands in her own, and looking at him in the eyes, “How has your health been, Frede?”

“I have been… fine. The headaches aren’t going away, but I have been given a therapeutic relaxation routine by the doctors.” The monarch said, gripping Heike’s hands, both of their voices lowered despite the presence of no one else but Andre in the room.

“Take care of yourself, dear. I know you like to keep things regimented and strict, but it’s always important to unwind and relax from time to time, focus on yourself and make sure that you are okay. That is the most important thing.” She paused, reminiscing her thoughts, “You are much like your mother in this regard. Take care of yourself first, everything else can wait.”

Frederik gave a long sigh, “God has decided to place the burden of being His vicar and link upon me. Such a duty comes with its sacrifices, aunt.”

“It does, but you must be in good form to carry out your sacred task.” Heike whispered, the two having lowered their heads close to one another, “It is important you make every decree and call with a clear, thoughtful head. Don’t feed into your impulses and your whims, it is very risky.”

“The Holy Spirit shall decide where my fate goes, aunt. Everything I do is towards the service of my eternal duty. The Spirit inspired me, I am confident of my decisions.” Frederik’s voice stiffened somewhat, as if he was justifying his nature. The monarch had been at the center of the rapidly rising tensions in the region, which emerged from his desire to restore unquestioned Aureumterran dominance over Esvanovia as a whole.

Heike nodded in acknowledgement, “I understand, Frede. But you do need to contemplate it carefully. Be restrained, your words can affect the lives of billions and change the course of history. It is not something to take at face value, everything you do extends beyond the realm of temporal matters.”

Frederik closed his eyes for a moment, as if he was thinking over Heike’s words, before looking her in the eyes, “I am confident, aunt. Under my vision, Det Stórveldi will become the master of the entire world. Trust me.”

“Your mother did not have to sing her own praises, her subjects showered her with them. She did not have to build her own statues, her subjects did that for her by their own accord. She never had to fear being among her people because they only showed her love and reverence. Perhaps you could learn from her more than you think.” Heike chose her words carefully, intending to acknowledge her nephew’s passionate and impulsive vision while sternly giving him a lesson - a wake up call.

Frederik was taken aback by her statement, something he took a few long minutes to consider, “Aunt, I have immense respect for you, and I know you mean well in everything you say. However, I must plead with you to not bring my mother up in everything related to me. I am a separate person, I am not her.” The jeweled golden statue of Lisette, in her imperious regal stature, gazed over the two of them almost symbolically as they spoke.

Heike nodded, “I understand Frede, and I apologize if it sounded like I was making an unfair comparison. Just… consider these words, I implore you.”

Frederik lowered his voice again, leaning into his aunt, “I understand.” The two of them clasped each other’s hands together in an intimate, almost motherly gesture, which they remained in for a few moments before the doors were opened by the Imperial Guards on the other side.

Frederik looked up to see Rasmus and Leo walking into the room, both of them bowing to the Emperor as they entered. Frederik approached Rasmus and took his right hand, the two of them firmly grasped each other and met their foreheads between them - a traditional gesture of mutual respect among Aureumterran men.

“Congratulations, Frede.” Rasmus beamed as he approached and hugged Andre, “And this young man is also going to be sailing out into the high seas soon!”

Frederik slightly grimaced, “Thank you. As for him… perhaps” He spoke coldly.

The older man shook his head, “Are you really going to worry about him there? All of us have been on those ships, out at sea, it would be uncharacteristic for someone of his rank to not gain that experience.”

Frederik walked up to Andre and put a hand on his shoulder, “I made a vow to my mother. I cannot risk anything happening to him.”

Andre looked down, “All of you were perfectly fine out at sea. Why would I be any different?!” The prince exclaimed. He often felt like he was being treated like an inanimate object. He knew his big brother had good intentions, but he was excited and eager to experience the stories he had heard from his brother and cousins of life in the Imperial Navy.

Frederik gave a long sigh, “I suppose so, Andre. We’ll see about it when the time comes - for now you must focus on finishing your semester.”

Heike observed the testy exchange with a sigh, having long been wary of her nephew’s zealous overprotectiveness of Andre. She was perhaps the only one in the room who knew the true nature of her youngest nephew, why Lisette had made Frederik vow to her on her deathbed to protect him.

“I’ll leave you boys at it, then. I should go see my grandniece.” Heike informed her son and nephew, as they nodded in acknowledgement. She left the room thereafter.

Rasmus decided to drop the touchy subject, feeling an awkward discomfort falling over the room, “How have you been, Frede? It’s been a while.”

Frederik looked up and nodded, “It has. I’ve been… fine.” He gave a somewhat sarcastic snort, “I’m alive, at least.”

Rasmus laughed, “I see your sense of humor - or lack thereof - hasn’t changed.”

Frederik once again gave a very slight smile, “Not enough time to laugh.” He paused, looking at the door, “How’s Alma?”

“We’re doing well. We adopted another dog, a pug named Monitor.” He put a hand around his cousin’s shoulder, while Frederik loosened somewhat.

“Hopefully Finnmark has a better playmate this time.” Frederik smiled more widely now, having warmed up a bit.

“Speaking of playmates - how’s Madalena?”

The Emperor paused for a moment, unsure of how to answer, “She’s doing as well as a seven month old can be, at least from what I hear.”

Rasmus raised an eyebrow, “What do you mean? You don’t see her yourself?”

“Not often. Between my entire day, it’s very hard to find any time. Ingrid’s ladies mostly deal with her.” Frederik informed.

“Deal with her? She’s your child.” Rasmus spoke in a more accusatory tone, being possibly one of the only people alive who could do so with Frederik and get away with it.

Frederik appeared taken aback by the confrontational statement, being used to those around him being deferential. He frowned, “I have a sacred duty to God that comes before everything else.”

“And someone has to be your successor someday, just as you succeeded aunt Lis.” Rasmus retorted. “She’s your daughter, Frede. You shouldn’t completely neglect time with her, you never know.” Rasmus was aware of his cousin’s more traditional outlook on succession. It was pretty evident to him Frederik awaited a son to groom as his successor.

“When the time comes for her to take initiative, God will make time for me to keep after her. Until then, I must focus on what I must do first, before anything else.” The Emperor spoke sternly, carrying an air of imperial authority in his voice that was previously absent - one he usually spoke with in court.

Rasmus shook his head, “You really are more stubborn than a bull. You’d do well to get some ideas through that thick skull of yours.” He snided with a slight laugh.

Frederik raised his head, “You know, you seem to forget who you are speaking to sometimes. I wouldn’t let anyone else speak to me that way without consequences.”

“That’s exactly why I am telling you this.” The older prince laughed.

Frederik smiled and shook his head, “You clearly are the same as you’ve always been. I always wondered what Alma saw in you, other than your rank and bloodline.”

Rasmus playfully gave a punch on Frederik’s shoulder, “Perhaps it’s something you’ll never understand, my dear Frede.”

There was a momentary pause in the room before Rasmus turned to Leo, “So, Lele, on the market tonight or already got someone?”

Leo grinned, “I’m taken, unfortunately.”

“Unfortunate for the girls here tonight. I’m sure they can’t resist seeing you.” Rasmus laughed, “Who is the very lucky woman?”

“It’ll be a surprise, as the best ones are.” Leo continued grinning, “Although I’m sure Brada and Svaga have caught on.”

Frederik smirked, “I won’t spoil it for Rasmus - or your mother.” The Emperor walked towards the window on the side of the ballroom, which faced out into the beautifully pruned gardens outside, “Everyone here must recognize our might, after all.”

“Where are the ladies at, anyways?” Leo asked, as he followed Frederik towards the window.

“I believe they’re going to see Madalena, then get some final hair and makeup done before getting ready for the night.” Rasmus informed them as he followed, with Andre in suit behind him.

“Maybe I’ll find someone tonight too, Brada. A beautiful maiden to take her hand and dance with.” Andre mentioned, somewhat eagerly.

Frederik’s gaze turned cold and dry, “Andre, you must be very careful not to fall into the influence of the wrong kind of people.”

“Oh please Brada, I’m old enough to figure out who’s trustworthy and who isn’t.” Andre retorted defiantly.

Leo put a hand around Andre’s shoulder, “You’ve grown to be a handsome young man. I think you’ll do just fine.”

The Emperor continued to silently gaze at the palace gardens outside the window, a cold, stoic expression once again formed on his face.

Livonia scrambled to get things settled in the palace’s nursery, keeping the room quiet for the heiress-apparent of Aureumterra to sleep in peace. Madalena often got very cranky in the afternoon if she was woken up, and it would be crucial for her to remain calm at least tonight, while all the commotion went on below in the palace. A group of nurses, ladies-in-waiting, courtiers, and Imperial Guards stood by, while Livonia softly cradled her liege’s daughter in her arms and carefully placed her to rest.

“I don’t think I’ve seen the court this lively since the Coronation.” A hushed voice spoke so as to not wake the royal infant. Watching the steady build-up of arrivals from the window of the nursery, the very tall woman - standing at over six feet and eight inches - fiddled with a small icon attached to a chain around her neck in her hands as she watched the small parade of Aureumterran royals make their entrances. A fair few of them she already recognised, though to some she had only spoken a few words before. Court life was quite siloed, and the opportunities that arose to break out of them were extremely rare, and always choreographed.

That wasn’t of much concern to Hephaestia, however. As the court Siakala, her main focus was the Emperor himself, and therefore by extension those in his immediate sphere. Having taken the posting not long before the passing of his mother, she had observed the many subtle but significant changes in the temperament of the Imperial Court, some of which was beginning to raise a degree of alarm with her compatriots all the way in Krytopia. The Emperor’s determination in regards to the fragile situation with Sombreland was something that the Caesar - his “Heavenly Sibling” by a two-century old treaty, for whom Hephaestia acted as a sort of spiritual guardian and herald - wanted to mitigate as much as possible, though the window seemed to be closing rather quickly.

Hope was not to be lost, though, as the Siakala’s of the past two centuries had built up quite an established reputation and rapport among the spiritual children of Cnut I - the “Heavenly Father”, as he was called. It was through them that the Kylarnatians and Aureumterrans had forged quite a unique, somewhat esoteric understanding of each other, and so they could speak to each other in ways that contemporary diplomacy could not hope to emulate. It was a rare art; a spiritual attunement even rarer still amongst many citizens of the world, yet the adherents of both Mother and Father understood each other very well.

So it was for that reason that Hephaestia - an orphaned child taken in by the Magii (elder women) of her revered monastery on the islands of Lemnia, a former soldier now turned dedicated purveyor of sacred religious and spiritual knowledge - found herself millions of miles from home, ascended to a rank and station that the people of her birthplace could only imagine in their wildest dreams. She certainly wasn’t the archetypal image of a lady at court. Her hands showed years of tinkering and hard work, the exposed tanned flesh of her arms and neck revealing plenty of burns and scars from close scrapes with past enemies, for she was not afraid to bare them or express her years visibly. Despite having been gone from military service for almost a decade, she still kept her auburn hair very short as if to avoid helmet hair, and her body was still in fairly lean fighting condition.

Her clothes were not over extravagant as far as court dresses went, though by no means were they lacking in detail. Wearing a light sleeveless saffron tunic, the embroidery very intricately contained multiple verses of Seraphic script, and on the back featured an image of the smiths of Vulcan carrying out their work. Her long pants merged with the imagery, with the volcanoes of the cuffs spewing forth smoke and ash that fuelled the work of the smiths above. Her suede shoes, which allowed her to walk quietly across the floor, mimicked the greeny-white foam of a rolling tide in colour.

Turning her attention away from the window and facing Livonia directly, she observed how she held the infant Madalena with the most urgent care, and even after placing her down in her cot was still for a few moments before she could move away. Smiling, a less nervous Hephaestia came over to observe the slumbering princess.

“At least someone is able to enjoy the gift of rest.” She continued to speak softly. “May the Mother bring her ever pleasant dreams.” She placed a reassuring hand on Livonia’s shoulder, to reassure her that she had done a good job.

Livonia beamed as she looked upon the sleeping princess, oblivious and blissful amidst the world surrounding her. She quietly whispered, “And the Father as well, Amen. Seeing her face like that brings me so much joy every day, almost like a beam of light in a cave of darkness.”

Livonia wore a rather simple leaf and flower patterned court dress, characteristic of those of Ingrid’s ladies in waiting. Ingrid had entrusted her with the task of caring for Madalena’s day to day needs, an honor which she was happy to fulfill. It had been many years of her being in the Empress’ service, Ingrid had shaped the young woman to be the Empress’ unofficial right hand and close confidante. The lady-in-waiting respected Ingrid more than any other person she knew, on her part.

Livonia looked up to see the Empress, accompanied by the other Imperial women, opening the door of the nursery. She curtsied to the Empress, as per her protocol, and quietly approached her. “She’s sleeping.” Livonia whispered to the arriving women.

Hephaestia acknowledged the approach of the Imperial women with a traditional Sacerdotium bow of respect, clasping her hands over her heart and lowering her head. She held it there for a good few seconds before returning to a more relaxed posture.

Ingrid nodded and remained silent, as did the others. Heike and Estelle smiled and quietly waved to Livonia and Hephaestia, the former of whom smiled in return and nodded in acknowledgment without speaking. Maja and Alma remained behind, somewhat stiff as they approached the small cradled bed in the center of the nursery.

Ingrid was the first to peer in, being unable to help herself from beaming widely at the sight of her daughter. The other women followed, casting their eyes upon the heiress-apparent to the Midnight Sun Throne in person for the first time. Heike leaned back and whispered to Ingrid, “She’s beautiful.”

“She has her father’s face,” Estelle remarked softly, “And her mother’s eyes.” They moved back, all smiling seeing her. Livonia beckoned for them to come to the other side of the door, so as to allow the child to sleep in peace.

Ingrid nodded, and the room emptied out as they made their way to the other side of the glass door, Livonia carefully shutting it before closing the latch. Now back to her normal volume, she chuckled, “She can be a little explosive if woken up at this time, hopefully she gets a good rest so she’ll be happy for the rest of the day.”

Heike nodded, “Of course.” The elder woman peered into the glass, “Such a wonderful gift, Ingrid. I’m sure you will enjoy the journey with her, and other children to come.”

Ingrid turned back from looking through the glass, “I look forward to it, and to spend more time with her in the near future.”

Heike looked back at the gathered women, nodding in respect to the Siakala, “Greetings, it is a pleasure seeing you again.”

Hephaestia smiled warmly at the acknowledgement from the senior Imperial Princess, the sister of the late Empress. “Mother’s blessings to you, your Imperial Highness. It’s a pleasure seeing you as well; I’m glad that such a joyous occasion has brought our company together again. I trust you’ve been keeping well?”

Heike smiled and nodded in return, “I have indeed. I am glad to be reunited with everyone at last.”

Alma raised an eyebrow, somewhat confused by the exchange, she looked to Hephaestia, “Excuse me, my apologies but I don’t believe we have met. I’m Alma, wife of Prince Rasmus” She spoke somewhat anxiously, as she often did in courtly settings she wasn’t used to, “Who… are you?” She quietly hoped she didn’t make any mistakes or speak out of line.

Hephaestia turned to Alma, her expression warm and inviting, almost keen to have met someone who didn’t fully realise who she was. “Ah, well met, your grace. I am Hephaestia, and I hail from the Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae in the faraway lands of Gholgoth. I am a devout daughter of the Grand Mother, and serve here at the behest of my most heavenly sovereign, Caesar, conveying her divinely sanctioned words and providing counsel to His Imperial Majesty in all matters spiritual and otherwise.”

As she passionately explained her station in a clear and simplified manner, Hephaestia held onto the icon she wore around her neck, which to anyone who looked closely would be able to see was a miniature bust portrait Caesar as a younger woman, still displaying a customary sidelock of braided hair which denoted her youth, suggesting that the Siakala had received it quite some time ago.

“That’s the gist of it, anyway.” She concluded, defaulting to a slightly less formal tone. “I suppose this will be an occasion of meeting a lot of new people, won’t it, your grace?” Hephaestia was politely speaking around the fact that she clearly already had heard a bit about who Alma was, due to the commotion that her engagement to Prince Rasmus had caused.

Alma was somewhat taken aback by Hephaestia’s introduction, given her spiritually high standing. She somewhat reddened, “I-I’m sorry for not recognizing you. You certainly have a high position and duty to fulfill.” She eased up a little, “I suppose I can’t really match such a position” she said somewhat in jest. “I have only been in court a few times prior, there are still many who I have yet to meet. I was born of common blood, grew up in Drødal up North. I was an actress in a few movies you may know- at the time they were pretty big hits in Aureumterra and the region.” Alma reminisced, lifting her hand up as if to display her wedding ring, “Of course, before I met my now husband.” She paused, “I apologize if I spoke out of line, I’m still getting used to all of this even after many years.”

Hephaestia nodded politely as she listened to Alma explain her background. While she had pieced it together back when the court mill was swirling with gossip about the engagement, she much preferred that she could now hear it directly from the person’s own mouth. When the young woman went to apologise, she raised her hand. “There’s absolutely no need to apologise, your grace. As I’m sure many of the Imperial women can attest to, Court life is a particularly atypical affair compared to the everyday; it would be unreasonable to expect you to know me, though I’m very happy to have made your acquaintance now.”

Heike put a hand on Alma’s shoulder, reassuring her, “It’s fine, no one bites.” She chuckled. She turned to the Siakala, “Speaking of your homeland - should we expect anyone else from Kylarnatia tonight?”

Hephaestia smiled, a twinkle appearing in one of her dark hazel eyes. “Yes, I’m told we can expect a small delegation being led by one of Caesar’s beloved nieces of the venerable house of Silvanus, accompanied by the Right Honourable Ambassador.” To any among them who knew even the basics of Kylarnatian history, the Silvanus were the current Imperial Family of Kylarnatia, and one of its Great Families; one of the oldest, in fact, said to be descended from the Ancestress Minerva.
“I’m told they come bearing gifts not only for His Imperial Majesty, but also for Her Imperial Highness.” She winked, tilting her head towards the door of the nursery. “But I shall say no more until the reception this evening. I shall also convey a message from Caesar herself to His Majesty; I know she would have liked to have been here, but unfortunately affairs in Gholgoth as they are right now, her attentions are needed there.” Her expression and tone seemed to grow a little dower, as if the thought of the inevitable conflict back home brought back unpleasant memories.

“It is understandable - and unfortunate that such challenges transpire in the world around us, constantly testing our resolve and faith.” Ingrid spoke solemnly, her voice taking on the tone of a wise mother. “Please pass both of our regards to Her Majesty as well, and we look forward to receiving Her guests.” The Empress pondered some of her own thoughts on the matter, pertaining to the wider region and beyond. She knew that many of her own ambitions depended on those of her husband’s, and was keen to use her station to her advantage to steer things in a direction she preferred. Nonetheless, Ingrid was intelligent, and knew when to speak her thoughts.

“Wisely spoken, your Highness.” Hephaestia gave a graceful bow of her head to the Imperial Consort. “I know that my Sovereign would agree with you. Rest assured that the Mother's children are ready, both in body and spirit, for the task at hand. I shall of course pass on your regards.”

The Siakala held genuine respect for Ingrid, having recognised even from when she first met her as the Crown Princess that she was a woman of sharp intellect and shrewd action. It was necessary, really, for the sort of environment that they were existing in. As the Imperial Consort, it made it so that she - more than anyone else - had the Emperor's ear, and as such it paid dividends for Hephaestia to maintain a close relationship with both. There was no understanding one without the other.

Livonia adjusted dress, her liege’s portrait visibly affirmed to her chest, as she turned towards her, “I believe things are all set here, my Empress.”

Ingrid smiled and nodded in acknowledgement of Hephaestia, “Much appreciated.” She looked at the rest of the women, “I’m sure you are all tired from traveling. Take some time to get settled - and be in the East dining room for lunch.” She grinned, “The only way you can offend me is by not eating.”

“You’re turning more and more into a mom already,” Maja snided with a smirk. The second youngest of Heike’s children was somewhat infamous for her informal nature and disregard for conventions. “I wouldn’t want to face your wrath.” She said with a sarcastic tone.

“That would be a wise choice, Maja.” Ingrid commented in a somewhat stern tone, albeit nonetheless lightly. The Empress turned to her lady-in-waiting as the other women dispersed, “Go to the ballroom and get the boys too.”
Livonia curtsied and left promptly. She made her way down the grand, intricate staircase that wrapped around the rotunda coming from the two wings down to the ground level. She looked forward to the occasion that night, not only as a break from the hectic work schedule she had taken on in the Empress’ service, but a moment to finally reveal to everyone her longtime relationship. She had hoped he would have had the guts to come out and court her earlier, but she could scarcely contain her excitement for the night to come… the gala and beyond.

Hephaestia politely took her leave from Ingrid, Heike and the rest of the Imperial Family as they all retired for the afternoon. She made her way through the winding corridors of Gustavsborg with a degree of comfort in her surroundings; while it wasn’t a permanent residence, the fact that she had arrived just prior to the late Empress’ passing and funeral, and then the coronation of Frederik not long after, meant that she had gotten to know the Palace quicker than some of her predecessors had done.

Eventually she came to one of the entrances of the East Wing, guarded and specially cordoned, for it was usually reserved solely for the use of the Imperial Family. Yet as she appeared around the corner the guards already stood to attention and began opening the cordon; one of the perks of being the Siakala meant that you were considered an essential member of the inner circle, and so you were always kept close. Passing through, she took only a few more turns - passing many hallmarks and relics of Aureumterran culture and history - until she reached a set of ornate doors, impressed with an image of the Grand Mother as Queen of Heaven. Using a rather heavy iron key that she kept in her pocket, she turned the old lock and walked in.

The Quarters of the Siakala had been the living space of all her predecessors prior, reaching all the way back to 1815. What existed on the other side of the portal was a veritable cornucopia of acquired trinkets and knowledge: tall oak shelves filled with scrolls of handwritten parchment, old hand-bound books with uneven pages. The walls decorated with the embellishments of successive esoterica, showing the constellations of the universe which saw the alignment of both the sovereigns of Auremterra and Kylarnatia as rightful masters of their own heavenly realms, each indispensable to the fight against evil. Hephaestia’s own personal inclusions included a set of smithing tools which she had mounted to the wall; they were quite plain in comparison, but to her they signified the dignity of honest and hard work, a proud value of her native island home. All these symbols were meant to inspire the Siakala in her never ending work of documenting the evolving theology of the celestial siblings of the Hæstirétt and Avarkryeas.

Sitting on the bed, she began to ponder what to expect from the upcoming events of the evening, certain in her attire and her duties, but a little less certain of what she could expect to witness from the Emperor and his family. If the few bits she did pick up on earlier in the day were any indication, it could prove to be quite a valuable insight.
Last edited by Aureumterra III on Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♔ The Empire of Aureumterra ♔

IIWiki
TL;DR Nordic Oppressive Absolute Empire
Maintainence Thread (Outdated)
Esvanovia, Ajax, etc. member

Aureumterra III
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Prologue: Pt. II

Postby Aureumterra III » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:35 pm

The lunch that proceeded in the smaller, private dining room of the second floor of Gustavsborg continued the mini-family reunion that the senior Imperial Family had seen. Everyone gathered, shared hugs and pleasantries, caught up with each other’s lives and pursuits, allowing a more intimate and private setting for them immediately preceding the gala that evening. Following the lunch, everyone gathered dispersed to their apartments in the East Wing of the Palace as the evening light fell over the vast city of Potens. Time was given for everyone to freshen up, change into their evening outfits, and touch up on their appearances to prepare for the events that evening.

By now, Frederik’s heart was picking up in anticipation as he stood in front of a vast, crystal mirror in the Imperial Apartment, adjusting his outfit for the evening. A custom made white and gold embroidered outfit, with bright blue epaulets adorning his shoulders. He was careful to button up and ensure every inch of his appearance was perfectly kept. The Emperor disliked imperfections. He had little tolerance for unkempt uniforms, and ensured that everyone around him, from the staff to the Imperial Guards to courtiers and ministers always appeared in order. Those who surrounded the Emperor learned early in their service that slighting upon this resulted in harsh reprisals from the monarch, moreso than many other offenses.

He combed his usually curly hair back into a straight, well kept line going back, held into place with hair gel. He took a final look at his appearance in the mirror, his imperious and authoritative figure eminent from both his stature and his outfit. He took a deep breath with his nose and turned around, facing his wife sitting across from another mirror in the room.

The Imperial Apartment lay at the very end of the long hallway that moved down the East Wing. The rooms were fairly large, with a vast window- albeit one that was reinforced many times over with bulletproof glass - looking out into the city of Potens outside. As the setting sun cast a radiant orange glow in the room, the Empress appeared to be almost divine in the reflecting light, in her dress for the evening.

She wore a stunning bright red dress, which flowed down onto her feet like a river of blood at first glance. The choice was a peculiar one. Certainly, it was noticed when Ingrid revealed her choice earlier that day when the women were getting their hair done. Heike, Christina, Estelle - even Maja was surprised at her outfit preference for the evening.

Blue was traditionally the color adorned by Aureumterran Imperials. Sapphires in particular, had a long, storied history in Aureumterra, being the centerpiece of every Imperial Crown in the Empire’s millenia spanning history. All of the Heavenly Fifteen adorned sapphires and blue robes in their depictions. Every Hæstirétt wore bright blue regalia at their Enthronement, including Frederik, and every Alladrøttning wore plenty of sapphires. Sapphires and the color blue in general symbolized purity, piety, and divinity in Aureumterran society.

The Emperor was no exception to taking notice of his wife’s choice of color. Frederik raised an eyebrow, “Red?”

Ingrid looked up from adjusting her earrings, both adorned with small crystalline rubies, somewhat perplexed by her husband’s remark. He usually didn’t question of her personal matters, let alone her outfits. Nonetheless, she frowned, “Yes, it’s amazing, isn’t it? I had the tailors work on this piece for the past month, I wanted to keep it a bit of a surprise for tonight.” She paused, “I suppose it has already done its job so far.” She made the otherwise jestful remark with a stoic expression.

“It… is. I just didn’t expect something like this.” The Emperor spoke in a manner he rarely did, commenting somewhat candidly.

“Do you like it?” The Empress asked before standing up, “Hold on, I have to put the finishing touch on.” She walked over to a door on the side, which opened into a vast wardrobe containing a portion of the Empress’ prized jewelry. It was known that she had a voracious appetite for expensive couture and jewels, those who wanted to gain Ingrid’s favor often did so by presenting her with additions to her collection.

She walked to the back of the wardrobe room, and entered her fingerprint into the lock of a safe, which opened, revealing her best pieces within it. She picked out a gold chained necklace holding six unbelievably large rubies, and carefully put it on.

Having grown up as Crown Prince, Frederik was no stranger to magnificent jewelry. His mother was known for many of her pieces as well. Yet this necklace still managed to shock him to an extent, as he appeared stunned.

Ingrid grinned widely, “All of these rubies came straight from the mines of Kristjana. They were carved by some of the best craftsmen in the world. I commissioned them last year, into this necklace. I decided to keep it a true surprise for absolutely everyone.”

Frederik took a moment to gaze at them before he spoke, “That is… amazing.” He approached her, inspecting them, “What made you choose rubies, though?”

Ingrid continued grinning, “I always enjoyed them. Truth be told, while I do appreciate good sapphires, rubies have been my favorite jewels, since I was a little girl.” She put a hand over her necklace, as if to stroke it gently, “I got a pendant from Louis when I was four, I believe. It had one little ruby in it.” She spoke of her brother - the only member of her family she still talked to at all.

Frederik glanced thoughtfully at the necklace, “And… it was the only gift you ever got from your siblings?”

“Of course, what do you think?” Ingrid’s voice took on a somewhat enraged tone as she reminisced over her childhood, “Louis wished he could give me more. But the others, not a chance. Nothing.”

“It’s a shame he couldn’t make it tonight.” Frederik said with a sigh, as he sat on the bed.

The Empress’ voice had calmed down now, as she walked over to the window, “Of course, things don’t always align. But I should have plenty of time to pay him a visit in the near future.” She gazed out into the city, watching the bustling evening rush of cars congest the vast highways and roads of Potens as the skyline began to light up. A sliver of the sun was visible as the orange glow had given way to a softer red hue in the sky, a gasp of light before the twilight.

Ingrid heard Frederik approach behind her, himself gazing out into the city outside. “Are you ready?” She asked softly.

Frederik simply nodded, continuing to gaze outside. For many, the Emperor was a mysterious man. It was almost impossible to tell what thoughts were going on in his head. Even Ingrid, who had a remarkable skill for reading people, often found herself baffled by her own husband. It was somewhat of a puzzle for her, figuring out her husband and coaxing him to open up to her for years.

“The guests should start arriving soon… everyone else is heading downstairs now, I we should do so too.” The Empress told him as he nodded again.

“Alright, let’s do this.” He spoke after softly whispering a prayer under his breath. The Emperor and Empress made their way, heading out and down to the rotunda as the guests began to come in.

As the sun set, the courtyard was cleared to prepare for the arrival of all of the guests that night. The path the vehicles of the dignitaries would take was lined with Imperial Guards, while a military band played sounds of fanfare amidst the arriving vehicles. Once arrived, guests would be directed through the Rotunda and into the ballroom, while their staff - if they had them - would be directed to their quarters.

Guests would be given an option of going to their apartments for the night and freshening up, or heading straight to the ballroom and beginning to mingle with those present and other arriving dignitaries.

The ballroom was now lit with a beautiful chorus of cream colored lights, accompanied by the soft tune of orchestral music played by a mini-orchestra sitting at the head of the room. Round tables draped with white and gold embroidered tablecloths were laid out, and staff would walk around serving drinks to those arriving. The golden, bejeweled fountain depicting Lisette II on a throne held up by angels was now flowing with crystal clear water, forming a magnificent centerpiece to the grand ballroom, as the painted walls depicting Aureumterran Hæstirétts of past glimmered amidst the shine.

IIWiki

Legatia
Minister

Founded: Nov 30, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Legatia » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:16 pm

HOLY EMPIRE OF AUREUMTERRA
Meridonian Embassy, Potens, Aureumterra
17 January 2034- 8:00 AM AST

Aurelia Whitegrove had been many places in her two decades plus of service in the Air Forces in the execution of her duties. From her matriculation at Orofêt, she had been over the world- from air combat in Cerdania to delivering fiery oratory in Anagonia, gunfights in Advent and conferences at Summerhall. In all of her time, however, the duties of her station had not weighed on her quite as much as it did here.

Her hand rested on the off-colored glass panes separating the office of the Meridonian ambassador from the cityscape of the Aureumterran capital, levying a thoughtful, pensive gaze across the rooftops. She had arrived the day prior to the event in a quieter fashion aboard a private charter flight, and was to be received by said ambassador and his wife in their private residence tonight. Aurelia had taken the half-day she had available upon arrival to sample a local cafe, visit one of Potens’ more noteworthy churches (she herself was not religious- she was there mostly for the architecture), and walk briefly along its streets. Wearing a foreign military officer’s uniform in the city streets certainly got her some looks as she was about- but she was here on business after all.It was also the case that she didn’t own any good casual winter clothes. Potens was, for all of its deeply historied beauty, a place much colder than the islands she called home- this fact was true in more than just temperature.

“Beautiful, is it not? My wife calls it the Cosseton of the North, but I think that’s doing Potens a disservice. For all their flaws, at least the Aureumterran imperials are well acquainted with aesthetics and class. We all know where the Cossetts stand now.”

Whitegrove exhaled softly as she withdrew her hand from the pane. “Class;” she echoed, as she lowered herself into a seat before the weathered desk of the diplomat, resting gloved palms upon her lap. “I suppose they know how to make things pretty, this much is true. But is it really all right that I’m the only other one attending this function?”

“As you are aware, Lieutenant Commandant;” began the diplomat, a man of calm demeanor and a head of white hair resting comfortably upright in his cushioned chair. “Our relations with the Holy Empire are less than ideal. While Sombreland’s departure from, and subsequent deestablishment of, the International Coalition of Nations have removed the mandate for Meridonian military aid to the nation, that has had the expected effect on their disposition towards the Sombrish.”

Whitegrove quietly recalled her interactions with the Sombrish she had met. She was sure there were exceptions, but the men she came across hid their disdain for her behind the niceties and tolerance required for someone of their station. No small portion of this was due to her biology. They were an honorable people, if not fanatically rigid and stubborn in their ways. She offered a shallow nod as the ambassador continued.

“I am aware that yourself and Secretary Merritt had this conversation in Cordelia, so I will spare you the intricacies, but do be aware how important your insights and report back home will be. Making a few new connections across the spheres present here tonight will be of a significant benefit, but principally, our concern is the Aureums, and chief among them the monarch. Should Emperor Frederik decide it, war will be waged on this continent. You are a military woman yourself, Lieutenant Commandant- you know the likely outcome. And especially now with the goings-on in Matsume, a war in Nordurland is not one we are prepared to fight- especially since the Joseonites have annulled their treaty.”

The ambassador put it lightly. Meridon had made donations, as had Joseon and others, to the effort of the Sombrish defense. The State Department had had the forethought to limit these donations to equipment that had limited escalatory and primarily defensive utility value to the Sombrish, but supplying an enemy meant supplying an enemy.

“The expectation is not for you to avert a war by your own words- but regardless of the plans the Emperor might have, we will need more to work with. More known variables. More ears to whisper into. More hands to lend aid.”

Firmly aware this trip was not a vacation, Aurelia too reclined back into her chair for a moment before pushing into a stand, retrieving her service cap from the table and tucking it under her arm. “I think I have the gist of it, Mr. Ambassador. Thank you.”

“Before we move on to more pleasant topics, Commandant Whitegrove;” the man interceded as he rose to his feet, too clutching his hat from where it hung on the wall. “A final word of advice. Remember to enjoy the revelries as well. Events like these are like dens of vipers. Do not make yourself seem like prey.”

"That;" returned the air officer as she donned her cap, "is one trade where I'm well-versed."

Gustavsborg Palace, Potens, Aureumterra
18 January 2034- 8:00 PM ATST

Aurelia twisted gently about her hips as she inspected the Class 1-Echo mess dress that she had worn a total of two other times in her life- once when she had dinner with the President a month prior, and before that trying it on when she had purchased it. It reminded her of the time she had bought all of the optional dress uniforms when she was fresh out of flight training- uniforms she never wore and paid for by eating ramen and mess food for a week. Those were simpler days, she sighed, as her gaze returned to the woman meeting it in the mirror. She was no longer quite in her prime, having abandoned that belief a few years past as she approached her half-centennial mark in three year’s time. She still looked it, at least, with a gentle touch of make-up and soft-colored lip gloss, and her long, fiercely rich-brown hair. She could thank her mother’s genes for that boon.

Her uniform for tonight was an immaculately arranged formal mess dress done in the deep blue of Air Forces formal uniforms, with white undershirt and a black crossover tie as was worn by female airwomen. Her left breast had her medals pinned in a straight line from highest to lowest- the most significant being the Defense Superior Service Cross, followed closely by her Aviation Distinction Medal- awarded for her airmanship during Cerdania. Three silver chevrons adorned such a medal, indicative of her three aerial victories. Other such medals all sat below a silver set of wings, emerging from a shield emblazoned with the Meridonian Southern Cross constellation, a wreath crowned by a star surrounding it noting her as a command-qualified pilot of the Air Forces. The singular silver sun above crossed baton and sword on her shoulder lapels and the one broad, one thin stripe of black and white on either sleeve gave her rank as an Air Lieutenant Commandant.

She scanned the uniform for Irish pennants, stray hairs, or unbuttoned pockets, and corrected her hair for loose strands. A gentle spray of subtle floral perfume of unremarkable quality, and a final once-over in the mirror before she was satisfied. As was common for dress uniform wear with Merrie women, she left her hair untied, falling to her mid-back in straight locks.

She had been billeted the night prior in a decently upscale home after being the Ambassador’s guest for dinner. She and he would arrive separately- she would be the first and flashiest, her uniform marking her proudly as a daughter of the Isles in contrast to the highly conservative red-and-white flag lapel pin that was the Ambassador’s only visual tell. Thus satisified with her appearance, she exited the hotel, entering an awaiting car

She was chauffeured to Gustavsborg Palace in a Marusse Triumph loaned from the embassy, a sleek luxury sedan in a deep black color bearing diplomatic tags. While as a flag officer she was entitled to fly flags denoting such status from the car, she elected for discretion in this manner and did not do so. The car pulled to a stop before the palace and she exited the vehicle, her short-platformed shoes gently sounded off the cobble as she moved towards the entryway; her eyes wandering about curiously, perhaps even voraciously studying the fineries of the Aureumterran court. She looked at the uniforms and the glistening bayonets borne by the Imperial Guards, of the statues and stonework, of the architectural and interior decor as she entered the palace itself. Opulent, was the word that came to mind. She had- as many Meridonians did- the preconception of royalty and other forms of ‘rule-by-blood’ as, by and far, vainglorious groups that existed, persisted, and were perpetuated through the manipulation of their citizenry- back-stage actors or glorified state pets at best, power-crazed despots or slovenly leeches at worst. Those with diplomatic posting were more than able to display courtesy and Meridonian warmth, regardless of their personal feelings- diplomacy in this day and age was far more practical than it was ethical. Meridon had- and did- maintain alliances with nations with far worse systems of undemocratic rule. Compared to the Neo-Koreans or the Sombrish, Aureumterra was a breath of fresh air. There was no shortage of Meridonians who pondered the more attractive thought experiment of an alliance with Potens rather than Omiskan, especially in light of the week-old slap in the face that was the war in Matsume, another political quagmire- for Meridon, it seemed these had came without end since the Siege of Advent.

As she entered the ballroom, the air officer accepted the drink offered by one of the attendants and bowed her head and smiled in quiet thanks, before she pondered the enormity of the room- and the task- set before her.
Last edited by Legatia on Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dracanduna
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 04, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracanduna » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:27 am

Gyldenread Palace, Cyneburg, Holy Kingdom of Dracanduna

The clicking of heels and claws echoed throughout the nearly empty halls of Gyldenread Palace, the faint light of dawn filtering through the castle's many windows and falling gently upon its wooden floors. The warmth of the interior betrayed the frigid snowy cold outside, creating a cozy contrast that made the palace feel all the more like home to its residents. In the main hall, watched over by immaculate statues of the Five Divines, a female Kromen worriedly followed King Leofe towards the main entrance.

"Your Holiness....please reconsider!"

Leofe stopped and took a deep breath, inwardly exasperated at the High Dracaruna's insistence she not leave. She could tell the Kromen high priestess was equally agitated by all this, but in an entirely different way. The Kings of Dracanduna had not left the continent for centuries, nevertheless went further than a bordering nation like Anagonia. Leofe's decision to attend the gala in Aureumterra was unprecedented....and it greatly disturbed the highly conservative Dracarunas.

Of course, such disturbances were somewhat common with Leofe. She had always been a bit of a boundary-pusher, and had already strained the ever more frustrated clergy with her reforms. She knew, of course, to be careful of going too far. Despite her divinely blessed station and position as head of both the kingdom and the Pentedrecian faith, she was aware her "strangeness" would only be tolerated to a certain point before it elicited a possibly dangerous response.

But despite the High Dracaruna's emotional itchiness over her trip, Leofe knew this was nowhere near the border she needed to be mindful of.

"It shall be fine, Sister Erinna," Leofe said, turning and looking down at the diminutive lizard woman walking beside her. "The world is changing outside the mountain walls of our home, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to exist alone."

"That is what our alliance with Anagonia is for," the Kromen barely refrained from snapping at the King. "We need no others."

"And what if Anagonia ceases to exist?" Leofe asked. "Then where will we be? What if Anagonia changes and no longer sees fit to treat us in a friendly manner? We cannot wholly rely on Anagonia forever. It is of the utmost importance we...that I...secure the future of Dracanduna. And that is precisely what I plan on doing. Besides, what's the worst that could happen? If I fall to some devilish trap or my life comes to an end, you still have my brother."

"Tssshhh!" Erinna hissed at the mention of Prince Osmund. As much as Erinna and the other Dracarunas struggled with Leofe, they practically reviled Osmund. An adventurous, playboy type who didn't take his nobility with any amount of seriousness, the sheer thought of Osmund sitting on the throne made Erinna's scales crawl.

"Don't remind me," Erinna said. "May the Five spare us all from such a fate..."

Leofe laughed, causing a grin to form across Erinna's face.

"You better come back in one piece," the Kromen said, the worry palpable under her half-joking tone. Leofe knew, however, that the concern that underlined that sentence was personal. Despite their disagreements, Erinna was the closest thing Leofe had to a friend, and the same seemed true for the Kromen priestess. Leofe could tell Erinna's worry wasn't just business.

"You worry too much, my friend," Leofe said, patting Erinna on the head. "Everything will be okay, I promise."

Gustavsborg Palace, Potens, Aureumterra

The journey to Aureumterra had been the longest flight Leofe had ever experienced. Occasionally, she'd look out the window and marvel at her inability to see anything but ocean for miles. Truly, she was venturing into the unknown, just as her forefathers did millennia ago on their voyage to settle Anagonia. I her heart, Leofe couldn't help but feel the excitement of adventure swell. She was practically beaming as she was helped out of the car.

Leofe's eyes sparkled as she peered up at the massive domed structure that was Gustavsborg Palace. It was magnificent, a symbol of regality and power. But it also reminded her of how small she, and her nation, truly were in the grand scheme of things. Gyldenread paled in comparison to this colossus, and for a brief moment Leofe felt herself shrink. The decor, the guards...all of it served as a reminder to just how far Dracanduna had fallen behind compared to the rest of the world. How out of place it had become in its isolation.

But the moment didn't last, as the excitement and nerves of the gala ahead of her quickly returned. Adjusting her glasses and her dress, a green full-length fit and flare gown with gold floral accents and long sleeves, Leofe stepped into the ballroom.
Last edited by Dracanduna on Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:34 pm

“If you are a tree, smiles are your flowers. Bloom endlessly.” ― Debasish Mridha

Gustavsborg Palace
Potens, Aureumterra

January 2034

In a realm where dreams converge with the waking day,
There lived a maiden, fair in every way.
With tresses spun from the strands of the sun,
Her eyes a reflection of oceans, deep and undone.

In the quiet hush of the morning's embrace,
She'd wander through meadows, her footsteps grace.
Her heart a symphony of nature's sweet song,
A love for the world that echoed strong.

Beneath the azure sky, she'd dance with delight,
Chasing the butterflies in the soft sunlight.
Her laughter, a melody that the breezes would carry,
A serenade to the flowers, to the sky, and the prairie.

Her spirit alight with the colors of spring,
A canvas of joy, every season would bring.
Through emerald forests and fields of gold,
Her stories with nature beautifully unfold.

With each sunrise, a new adventure begun,
A canvas painted with the hues of the sun.
Mountains and valleys, rivers that bend,
In her heart, the world found a true friend.

She loved the whispers of leaves in the breeze,
The rustling secrets of ancient trees.
In the twilight's embrace, she'd star gaze,
Mingling with constellations in a cosmic daze.

Her fingers traced patterns in the silken night,
As the moon bathed her world in silver light.
A nocturnal ballet of shadows and gleam,
She'd dance with the stars in a cosmic dream.

Through city lights and rural streams,
In the tapestry of life, she wove her dreams.
A muse to the poets, a song for the bards,
Her love for the world echoed in the stars.

For she saw beauty in the mundane and grand,
In the vast desert and the softest sand.
Her love, a beacon in the darkest night,
A flame that flickered, eternally bright.

In the tapestry of time, her story unfurls,
A celebration of life, a dance with the pearls.
For in her eyes, the world found its reflection,
A testament to love, a boundless affection.

The flight from Ghant to Aureumterra had been long and arduous, and most uncomfortable. Despite the Imperial party all having their own rooms, there were a great deal of logistics involved, and the indignity of having to travel and risk being seen in an unkempt condition. Fortunately for them, when they arrived in Aureumterra it was dark, and to their understanding, they could be quickly whisked from the plane, to a car, to the palace and to their rooms where they could prepare for the evening’s festivities.

Princess Imperial Sara of Ghant had taken it upon herself to organize the party that would be attending this Aureumterran ball. Naturally, her brother John and sister Valerie, would be compelled to attend, and given the nature of their visit, their younger brothers Nicholas and William would be encouraged to go as well. Her other sister, the young Princess Grace, had pleaded mightily for the privilege of attending, and Sara relented.

Sara was nineteen, as were Crown Prince Nathan and John. Valerie was eighteen, Nicholas was fifteen, William was fourteen and Grace was eleven. The expectation for all of them was that they would be on their best behavior and not cause incident with the Aureumterrans, whom Sara understood to be a rather fickle lot, difficult to please and even harder to impress.

Carefully laid plans were masterminded by Sara for the occasion, and like a shepard, she successfully corralled her herd of sheep from where they started to where they needed to go. The Imperial party was conducted seamlessly to Gustavsborg Palace fairly early in the evening, leaving them ample time to freshen up, prepare and get dressed for the ball. Sara, for her part, had a lot of work to do.

The narrative of her existence wasn’t lost on Princess Sara. It almost sounded like a fairy tale. In the heart of the majestic land of Ghant, where intrigue and secrets intertwined with the grandeur of the imperial court, lived Princess Sara. The thought made her blush, but more importantly, she tried not to let it go to head. No, that would be most unbecoming…

Her ethereal beauty was renowned throughout the realm, with long, cascading dark brown hair that shimmered like midnight silk fell in waves that seemed to possess a life of their own. Each strand glistened with a natural sheen, catching the light like strands of precious silk, as if touched by the magic of the moonlit night. When she moved, her hair trailed behind her like a celestial cloak, an ethereal cascade of darkness that framed her delicate features.

Her face, a canvas of unparalleled beauty, was adorned with a pair of piercing blue eyes that mirrored the majesty of the deepest oceans. Deep, cerulean pools that held a profound wisdom, yet sparkled with the innocence of a thousand stars. They were windows to a soul that embraced both strength and vulnerability, captivating all who dared to meet her gaze.

Princess Sara's complexion was a flawless masterpiece, akin to the softest petals of a rare orchid. Her skin glowed with a porcelain radiance that seemed to capture the very essence of moonlight, accentuating the gentle curve of her cheeks and the slender line of her neck. It was said that her beauty surpassed the finest sculptures, leaving artisans in a perpetual pursuit to recreate her likeness.

Her lips, the color of the richest rose, curved into a smile that could light up the darkest of halls. The embodiment of warmth and kindness, her smile was a beacon that drew people near, an enchanting invitation to share in the joy that radiated from her very being. Truly they were the lips that have haunted the imagination of young princes and lordlings throughout Ghant, worthy of retrieving the Golden Fleece from the hyrdra of myth.

Princess Sara moved with a grace that defied mortal understanding. Her every step was a dance, a fluid motion that spoke of an innate connection to the rhythms of the universe. Whether she glided through the palace halls or graced the royal gardens, her movements were a testament to a grace that seemed to transcend the earthly realm.

Adorned in garments that befitted her imperial status, Princess Sara's wardrobe was a tapestry of opulence. Gowns of the finest silks, embroidered with threads of gold and silver, draped her like a living work of art. Jewels adorned her neck and wrists, sparkling like captured starlight against the canvas of her regal attire.

Indeed, she was a vision that left poets breathless and artists yearning to capture the essence of her unparalleled grace. With a regal air that set her apart, she embodied a timeless elegance that became the stuff of legend, though she still young. Yet wise beyond her years. Princess Sara of Ghant, a living legend of beauty and grace, left an indelible mark on the hearts of those who beheld her. Her presence was not just that of a princess but a living embodiment of a celestial muse, a vision of loveliness that transcended the boundaries of time and remained eternally etched in the annals of Ghant's history.

There in her designated chambers of Gustavsborg Palace, Princess Sara found herself immersed in the bustling preparations for the upcoming ball. The palace wing of the Ghantish, adorned with banners and flags, echoed with the sounds of clinking armor and the distant hum of the courtly musicians tuning their instruments.

In her lavish chambers, Sara was attended to by a retinue of ladies-in-waiting, each chosen for their skill in the delicate arts of dressing a princess. The room was filled with the fragrance of exotic flowers, and the flickering candles cast a soft glow on the ornate gowns that adorned the princess's wardrobe.

Sara's gown, chosen for the occasion, was a masterpiece of craftsmanship. Deep black tourmaline silk adorned with intricate silver embroidery, it flowed around her like a river of moonlight. The bodice was embellished with delicate pearls that caught the light and sparkled with each movement.

As the ladies-in-waiting worked tirelessly, Sara's mind was elsewhere. Her thoughts wandered to the impending ball, where the noble houses of Aureumterra would gather, their alliances and rivalries hidden behind smiles and courteous nods. A sense of anticipation hung in the air, and Sara couldn't help but feel a mix of excitement and apprehension.

Bebe, she thought, staring ahead at the wall as though she were gazing upon a chess board. Her mind was a series of complex calculations, trying to anticipate each and every possible move. She knew the game her twin brother was playing. A courtship of the noble Princess Christina of Aureumterra, in a show of defiance of our beloved father. Corrupt and incompetent though he was, Sara knew her father to be a good man and true, and in a wicked world, that was good enough for her. But for Bebe, no…that’s never enough…

Amidst the flurry of activity, a familiar voice broke through the commotion. It was Sir Adrian Voor, the dashing knight and confidant to the imperial family. Tall and noble, with piercing green eyes and a chiseled jaw, he had long been a fixture in Princess Sara's life. "Princess Sara," he greeted with a bow, his voice carrying a subtle warmth that only she could discern. "You look absolutely enchanting tonight."

Sara's cheeks flushed as she acknowledged his presence. "Thank you, Sir Adrian. Your words are as gracious as ever."

As the final adjustments were made to her gown, Sara stood before the mirror, a vision of regal beauty. The ladies-in-waiting stepped back, admiring their work, while Sir Adrian extended his arm in invitation.

"Shall we, my lady?" he asked with a gallant smile.

With a nod, Princess Sara took his arm, and together they descended the grand staircase, entering the rotunda just before the ballroom, where Sara awaited her siblings. One after another, they began to emerge from their rooms. The first was her the oldest of her younger sisters, Princess Valerie, of who a great deal could be said, most of all by Sara herself, who knew her better than anyone else.

Princess Valerie of Ghant, an enigma wrapped in beauty, possessed an allure that could captivate even the most discerning gaze. Her features, sculpted as if by the hands of a divine artisan, exuded an ethereal charm that belied the wily spirit within.

Her hair, a cascade of light brown silk, fell in luxurious waves that framed her face with an almost calculated perfection. Each strand seemed to catch the sunlight and create a halo of warmth around her, enhancing the richness of her tresses. Yet, within the subtle play of light, there lingered an air of calculation, as if her beauty was meticulously crafted to manipulate perception.

Valerie's eyes, a shade of light blue reminiscent of the clearest summer skies, were windows to a soul that bore the weight of a thousand secrets. Their icy gaze held a sharp wit, coupled with a cynical glint that hinted at a mind adept in navigating the intricate webs of courtly intrigue. These eyes, though captivating, were windows that revealed little of the depths within.

Her complexion, not unlike her mother and older sister, was flawless and delicate. Porcelain skin adorned with just a hint of a rosy blush, it served as a canvas for the intricate play of light and shadow that danced upon her features. Yet, beneath the veneer of beauty, there lingered an air of detachment, a subtle indication that Valerie held herself above the adulation of those who sought her favor.

Princess Valerie's choice of gown for the evening was a reflection of her capricious nature. Teal, the color of ocean water crashing upon a beach, adorned her like a second skin. Gowns of the finest fabrics clung to her form, accentuating her every curve with a deliberate sensuality. Each ensemble, a careful choice to assert dominance, as if she reveled in the attention her beauty commanded.

Her regal bearing was both a testament to her highborn lineage and a shield against the world. Valerie moved with an almost predatory grace, every step a calculated display of power and control. Her gestures were refined, but there lingered an air of aloofness, a silent proclamation of her cool indifference to those who dared to approach.

Though her beauty was undeniable, Princess Valerie's vanity was a well-known flaw. Mirrors were her constant companions, and whispers of her ceaseless preening and meticulous grooming spread through the imperial court like wildfire. Her capricious nature, a source of both fascination and trepidation, kept the courtiers on edge, unsure of when her favor might turn.

“Sara,” Valerie said restlessly to her sister, before turning her seemingly whimsical gaze to Adrian. “Sir Adrian,” she said with a smile and a tinge of playfulness towards the knight.

“Your Highness,” Adrian replied politely, which prompted Valerie to narrow her eyes at Sara.

“Father said this soiree was going to be as much of a chore as it will be a bore,” Valerie yawned. “Just a bunch of politicians, diplomats and courtiers jockeying for the privilege to lick Frederick’s boots. I expect him to anticipate us kissing his ring…and his ass.” It wasn’t exactly a secret that Valerie was the Imperial most like the Emperor, both in manner and in disposition.

The next of their number to emerge was their brother Prince Nicholas, otherwise known as Bebe’s Bane, though few would speak such a nickname openly in his presence. Nicholas was a figure of brooding intensity and youth, and despite being the tender age of fifteen, he bore the weight of his lineage with an enigmatic demeanor, his presence commanding attention.

His long, dark brown locks cascaded in disheveled waves around his shoulders, as if echoing the storm within. The strands seemed to absorb the surrounding light, imparting a deep richness to his hair that matched the shadows that clung to his aura. It was a crown of midnight, framing a face carved in the chiseled lines of both youth and an old soul.

Nicholas' eyes, the color of a sapphire night sky, bore the weight of untold stories. Deep pools of blue held a brooding intensity that seemed to penetrate the very fabric of one's soul. They were windows into a world of complexities, revealing a maturity far beyond his years, as if he had carried the burdens of an entire kingdom upon his young shoulders.

The prince's attire, a reflection of his dark and regal nature, was a meticulously crafted ensemble of deep hues. A black velvet doublet adorned with gold embroidery whispered tales of both elegance and a hint of rebellion. A cloak of midnight black, lined with gold thread, billowed behind him, catching the flickering candlelight in its silken folds as he moved.

Though surrounded by the opulence of the palace, Prince Nicholas moved with an air of detachment. His steps were measured, deliberate, as if navigating a path known only to him. Despite his youth, there was a stoic solemnity in the way he carried himself, an unspoken acknowledgment of the responsibilities that awaited him as an heir to the Ghantish throne, despite having two older brothers ahead of him in the line of succession.

As the courtiers swirled around him in a symphony of laughter and music, Prince Nicholas maintained an aura of mystery. His gaze, often distant and contemplative, hinted at a mind constantly at work, strategizing and pondering the complexities of the situation. It was a presence that drew both admiration and caution, leaving those in attendance intrigued by the enigma of the young prince.

“Lighten up, Nick,” Valerie jeered at her younger brother. “Maybe Christina has some little ladies you can talk to that will cheer you up…assuming Bebe hasn’t gotten a hold of them first.”

Nicholas only grunted in response to that, as it was rather well known that Nicholas had the worst relationship with Bebe of all their brothers. His eyes turned behind him to catch a glimpse of their next sibling to arrive.

Prince William of Ghant, a playful sprite in the grand tapestry of the imperial court, brought a mischievous spark to the formal ball that evening. At the age of fourteen, he sported the vibrant energy of youth, his short black hair adding to the charm of his lively presence. His deep blue eyes, like lapis lazuli, sparkled with a glint of mischief that hinted at the wit and humor lurking behind his gaze.

William's hair, a raven's plumage, was neatly styled but rebellious, a reflection of the spirited nature that defined him. Strands of black framed his face, giving him an air of impish allure. His youthful features, etched with a perpetual smirk, bespoke a sharp intellect hidden beneath the guise of boyish exuberance.

Clad in a tailored ensemble that blended tradition with a hint of irreverence, Prince William stood out amidst the sea of formal attire. His doublet, a deep shade of midnight blue, bore subtle hints of embroidery that mirrored the whimsy of his personality. A silver-threaded sash draped casually across his shoulder, a playful accessory that defied the conventional formality of the occasion.

As he moved up to the ballroom, Prince William's steps echoed the rhythm of a carefree gait. His glib tongue and sharp wit were his favored companions, a testament to the mischief that lurked within. With a roguish twinkle in his eye, he glanced at his older siblings each in turn.

His approach to the grand event was akin to a performance, a lively comedy enacted with each gesture and quip. His humor, a delightful blend of satire and good-natured teasing, was known back in Ghant to add an air of joviality, much to the chagrin of Bebe, who thought that William was a fool who didn’t take things seriously enough, Bebe especially.

Stopping beside his brother Nicholas, William quipped that “a face like that will be sure to intimidate the Emperor. He’ll have no choice but to take Bebe seriously.” Valerie sniggered at that, although Nicholas was unamused.

Princess Grace of Ghant came rushing down the steps to the central room, hurriedly clutching at her dress. Eleven years old, though young she was well-versed in court etiquette, although she had a tendency to be clumsy and commit gaffes. Grace had a certain warmth about her and a big smile, creating a delightful atmosphere wherever she went. Grace, with her black hair and vibrant blue eyes, embodied a joyful spirit that endeared her to all who had the pleasure of crossing her path.

Her jet-black hair cascaded in thick waves, framing her round face like a midnight curtain. Though not in the typical fashion of impeiral coiffures, Grace's locks exuded an untamed vitality, reflecting the vivacity of her personality. Occasionally, a colorful ribbon or floral accessory would find its way into her hair, adding a touch of whimsy to her playful appearance.

Princess Grace's eyes, a shade of blue reminiscent of a cloudless summer sky, sparkled with a jovial gleam. They were windows to a soul brimming with laughter and kindness, radiating an infectious joy that could brighten even the gloomiest day. Her gaze, framed by long, dark lashes, held a depth that belied the simplicity of her playful exterior.

Her face, despite being somewhat fleshy, was full of life and bore the mark of a perpetual smile. Grace's features were a canvas of mirth, and her cheeks, rosy and inviting, seemed to carry the laughter that echoed through the halls. Her demeanor was a testament to her unapologetic embrace of joy, becoming a symbol of authenticity in a world often defined by rigid standards.

Clad in garments that embraced her curves with grace, Princess Grace's attire spoke volumes about her self-assured acceptance of her own body. Dresses in vibrant hues adorned with subtle patterns complemented her plump figure, creating an ensemble that reflected both regality and a playful spirit. Accessories like beaded necklaces and embroidered shawls added a touch of flair to her ensemble, a celebration of her unique style.

Princess Grace's laughter, a melodic symphony that echoed through the palace halls, became a signature of her presence. She moved with a certain lightness, her steps a dance that mirrored the rhythm of her joyful heart. Her big smile, ever-present and infectious, bridged gaps and brought people together, turning even the most formal occasions into joyous celebrations.

“You in a hurry to eat already?” Valerie teased her younger sister. “Be careful, it’s rich in this country. It’ll go straight to your thighs.”

Grace put both hands on her waist and countered, “Maybe later. I want to see how long you’ll go before making a fool of yourself around the Emperor, Val. Hopefully you won’t get thrown out for offending him,” she giggled.

Valerie pursed her lips and replied “yeah, I doubt that sincerely. The last thing Freddy wants to do is upset Ghant. At worst he’d excuse himself and whine to his wife.” Valerie looked around at her siblings and added, “where the fuck is John?”

As if summoned like a djinn, John did thusly appear. Prince John of Ghant, a beacon of intellect and wisdom in the imperial court, possessed a quiet brilliance that set him apart from the bustling activities of the realm. At the age of nineteen, he stood on the precipice of adulthood, his thick, bushy black hair growing wild and untamed, mirroring the complexity of his thoughts. His deep blue eyes, pools of contemplation, held all the worldly knowledge of a man grown.

John's hair, a raven's mane, framed his face in a cascade of unruly waves. The thick locks seemed to have a life of their own, a reflection of the untamed mind beneath. Occasionally, a strand would fall across his forehead, adding a touch of disheveled charm to his thoughtful countenance. It was as if his hair was a visual representation of the labyrinthine thoughts that resided within his brilliant mind.

His eyes, like sapphires set amidst the midnight sky, held a quiet intensity that hinted at the depths of his intelligence. They were windows to a soul steeped in contemplation, an ever-churning sea of knowledge and insight. In the rare moments when he looked up from his books, those deep blue eyes conveyed a profound kindness that spoke of empathy and understanding.

Prince John's attire, though regal, reflected a subtle simplicity. His preference for practicality over opulence was evident in the muted colors and modest embellishments that adorned his garments. A silver pendant, a gift from his mother, hung from a simple chain around his neck—a reminder of the familial bonds that anchored him in the midst of his scholarly pursuits.

Despite his intellectual prowess, Prince John bore the weight of shyness and insecurity. His withdrawn nature made him seek solace in the company of books rather than the bustling court. While others reveled in social engagements, John found comfort in the quiet corridors of the imperial library, surrounded by the hushed whispers of knowledge.

In the presence of women, especially those who exuded confidence, Prince John's insecurities came to the forefront. Being second in line to the Imperial Throne after Bebe didn’t help him in that regard. His shy demeanor made him easily intimidated, his eyes flickering with a hint of vulnerability. Though he longed for meaningful connections, the social intricacies of friendship and romance often left him feeling adrift in a sea of uncertainty.

Despite his challenges in social interactions, Prince John's kindness shone through in every gesture. His willingness to listen, his empathetic understanding, and his genuine concern for the well-being of others endeared him to those who glimpsed beyond the shy exterior. His wisdom, though sometimes overshadowed by his quiet nature, became a beacon of guidance for those who sought his counsel. Especially by Bebe, who took advantage of his brother’s good nature and used him to further his own agenda. Of the brothers, John had the best relationship with Bebe, merely because John didn’t resist him.

“Hopefully I wasn’t too late,” John stammered. “I was worried I wouldn’t look right.”

“You’re right on time,” Sara reassured John with a smile, which put him at ease. “Looks like everyone’s here,” She added, after all of her siblings had gathered and been properly accounted for. “Let’s go in then.” As Sara entered the ballroom and glided across the floor, she knew that the night held the promise of both enchantment and peril—a dance where alliances were formed and destinies entwined, all beneath the watchful eyes of Aureumterra's glittering stars.

The ballroom was lit with a beautiful series of cream colored lights, accompanied by the soft tune of orchestral music played by a mini-orchestra sitting at the head of the room. Round tables draped with white and gold embroidered tablecloths had been laid out, and palace staff appeared to be walking around serving drinks to those in attendance. The golden, bejeweled fountain depicting Lisette II on a throne held up by angels was now flowing with crystal clear water, forming a magnificent centerpiece to the grand ballroom, as the painted walls depicting Aureumterran Hæstirétts of past glimmered amidst the shine.

Valerie audibly laughed when she saw the fountain depicting Lisette held up by angels. “Now, that has got to be the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen, besides Bebe in his underpants. Remember that, Sara?”

“We were five, and don’t let him hear you say that,” Sara countered before catching Bebe out of the corner of her eye.

Crown Prince Nathan of Ghant, a paradox of refinement and cruelty, exuded an air of aristocratic charm that masked the severe currents that ran beneath the surface. At the pinnacle of his youth, he bore the weight of his impending role as the future emperor with an imperious demeanor, his countenance a blend of regal grace and grim determination. Bebe, as he was called behind his back, believed in displaying strength at all costs.

Bebe's appearance was tailored to perfection, every detail meticulously crafted to embody the epitome of imperial elegance. His hair, a shade of dark brown reminiscent of mahogany, was impeccably styled with a calculated precision. The sharp, chiseled features of his countenance seemed to be sculpted from marble, conveying an air of innate aristocracy.

His eyes, an icy blue that mirrored the depths of a glacial abyss, held a gaze both alluring and unnerving. Bebe's ability to maintain eye contact, coupled with the glint of arrogance that lingered in his stare, left courtiers feeling as though they were being appraised by a predator. Behind those hard blue eyes was a spirit that reveled in the exercise of power and control.

Adorned in garments of opulence, Bebe's ballroom attire reflected the wealth and status befitting a future emperor. Rich fabrics of jet black adorned his figure, each ensemble tailored to perfection, accentuating his regal stature. Jewels, the symbols of his lineage, glittered like shards of ice against the tapestry of his princely form.

Despite his refined exterior, Bebe harbored a dark side that few knew but none discussed. A cruel streak ran through his veins, manifesting in a sadistic tendency that lurked beneath the veneer of charm. His charm was a tool of manipulation, a means to an end as he navigated the intricate web of courtly politics, of which he was determine to always gain the advantage, no matter the cost.

In the courtly gatherings, Bebe's charm was a double-edged sword. He could effortlessly captivate those around him with his charismatic persona, but beneath the surface lay an undercurrent of disdain for those he deemed beneath him. His laughter, though melodious, held a note of mockery, leaving courtiers unsure of whether to revel in his favor or fear his wrath.

Bebe's belief in his own greatness and the exalted nature of his future role as emperor was unwavering. His arrogance knew no bounds, and he reveled in the adulation he received from those who bowed before him. He demanded absolute obedience and loyalty, crushing dissent with a ruthlessness that earned him both fear and begrudging respect in Ghant.

In the grand tapestry of Ghant's imperial court, Crown Prince Nathan stood as a figure of paradox—a refined prince masking the shadows of dark undercurrents. His journey through the courtly intricacies promised a reign that would leave an indelible mark on the realm, his charisma and cruelty intertwined in a dance that left courtiers both enchanted and wary of the future emperor.

“Ah, there you all are,” Bebe said to his siblings as he approached them in the ballroom. “I’ve been waiting for you, and fortunately for you, I didn’t have to wait too long.”

“Patience is a virtue, brother,” Sara said, with a disarming smile. “A good quality for an emperor to have.”

Bebe nodded his head in agreement. “Aye sister, a most noble virtue indeed.” The Crown Prince’s eyes suddenly darted to Sara’s escort, the noble Sir Adrian Voor. “Thank you for conducting my sister and younger siblings to the ballroom, Sir Adrian. I can take it from here.”

There was almost a moment of hesitation from Adrian, but he knew better than to defy the Crown Prince of Ghant. He released his arm from Sara’s and replied “yes, your Imperial Highness,” with a bow before taking a step back, bowing and drifting to the back of the Ghantish party.

Leaning into Sara’s ear, Bebe told her that “the last thing I want here is for a knight to be walking my sister around. I’ll explain why later, but there’s a certain…captain of the guard who’s a bit too comfortable with the Emperor. Last thing I want is for him to get up to talking about us.”

That prompted Bebe to turn and look at his younger siblings. “By the way, absolutely no fucking around tonight. You’re all expected to be on your best behavior and not embarrass me. If you run into the Captain of the Guard, give him the mushroom treatment, and for the love of God, don’t say anything stupid around the Emperor.”

“We’re not stupid, brother,” Valerie snapped at Bebe. “We can take care of ourselves. You should worry about yourself tonight.”

Bebe stared at Valerie coldly and pointed a finger at her. “You especially, sister. You think the world is yours but rest assured, it will swallow you whole if you don’t watch yourself.”

Having said that, Bebe stiffened his back and exhaled. “Now, let’s go present ourselves to the Aureumterran Imperial Family. I’m sure they’re all eager to meet you.” With that said, Bebe began to walk forward, gesturing for the rest to follow him. Sara walked behind her brother with the others in tow, her radiant smile shining like a beacon of light in the ballroom.Things will be alright, Sara thought to herself. What could possibly go wrong?
Last edited by Ghant on Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Emerstari
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2016
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Emerstari » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:15 pm

En Route to Potens, Aureumterra

Anna slouched with her feet against the seat in front of her, fingers tapping on her phone, scrolling up, then down; up, then down; up, then down, on a blank note.

“Bored?” a voice asked.

Slowly, Anna turned back her head to meet a stewardess's sympathetic eyes. “Positively,” she sighed with a muted breath. The stewardess nodded—“I'm sorry, honey”—then turned away, and walked off. Thus, Anna sank back into her seat, resting her head in her palm, careful not to mess up her hair. She had spent hours the previous night perfecting it—intricate brunette waves flowed till they met at the crown of her head in an elegant updo, with two loose, curly tendrils on either side.

“How much longer?” she wondered to herself. “How can he stand it?” she thought, seeing her father across the aisle. “Or…sit it?” Anna watched him as he sat, fascinated with the sea and sky. “He's been like that the whole flight,” she whispered. “He'll be like that until we reach the gala.”

“If only I could be like that.” Anna chewed on that thought for a moment, then set down her phone and turned her eyes from her father to the window. But the stretch of sea and sky miles ahead looked just like the stretch of sea and sky miles upon miles behind. She turned to the back of the seat in front of her, covering her eyes with her hands. “Oh,” she lamented, “where's Fr. Anton?”

Stretching, Anna arose, then stepped into the aisle. Her senses were still coming to her when—“Woah! Annekke, dear, I almost ran into you.”

“Oh,” Anna faced the familiar voice. “Fr. Anton!” she gasped with a smile. “That'd only be the most exciting thing to happen to me all day.”

“Sit, sit,” replied the priest as he did so. Anna did as well. Then, the priest continued with a knowing grin, “Has the flight been boring?”

“Flight?” Anna hushedly exclaimed, “Father, I think I'm in purgatory!”

“Oh, well, purgatory you can escape.”

“I suppose you're right. But tell me, how's the flight treated you?”

“Just fine, just fine. I slept well. I just woke up.” The priest paused. “Couldn't you sleep?”

“Too excited. The gala’s keeping me awake, and the flight’s slowly driving me nuts.”

“Speaking of nuts, I think I'll head to the kitchen. Care to join me?”

“Thanks, Father, but I should do something useful—keep my mind busy, you know?”

“Oh, I know,” he replied. With a smirk, he added, “I left my rosary in my bag—keep your mind busy with that?”

“...and I left mine in my bag, too,” Anna admitted with her own smirk. “Easier intended than done.” She stood up and stepped back into the aisle. “But go, eat. I think I'll do my makeup or something.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Fr. Anton concluded, standing up with Anna's helping hand. “I'll bring you back something—water, pretzels, apple?”

“Just a water,” Anna smiled.

As Fr. Anton made his way to the kitchen in the nose of the plane, Anna carefully conducted herself to the tail, where there were the suites. She stood in the threshold of hers when a bout of turbulence hit. “I’ll hold off makeup,” she whispered to herself. Again, with a frown, she muttered, “But there's nothing else…”

Then, Anna turned around and noticed the entrance to her father's suite. “I'll bet that he doesn't have a cologne picked out, though—or his tuxedo ready.”

Later: Potens, Aureumterra

As the royal jet was taxied to its gate, Anna finished arranging the medals for her father’s tuxedo. “This one”—she plucked one up from the row with narrowing eyes. She thumbed over its golden engraving, studied it, and then placed it back among the rest as she heard clumsy steps. “Fr. Anton,” she thought. Sitting up on the bed as he appeared in the doorway, she grinned: “I found something to keep me busy.”

“I see—and I smell!” he chuckled. The room smelled of assorted fragrances. Citrus, oriental spice, oak and cedar, roses, the sea breeze, and alcohol filled the air. Anna looked at Anton looking at the one cologne bottle that sat on the dresser. He turned back to her with inquiring eyes. “That tiny thing didn't do all this, did it?”

Anna let out a giggly breath. With a smirk she answered, “Insurance. You're smelling insurance, Father. I had to ensure that I picked out the best.”

“Annekke—I can't smell what you picked out. The best, the worst, it’s all one…Here's your water, but I wouldn't drink it in here. You might get drunk.”

Climbing off the bed, Anna met Fr. Anton in the threshold and took the bottle from him. “I'll leave it for Papa. Maybe it'll take the edge off him for the gala.”

“And that is why you're a logic major, Anna,” remarked the priest. Then he nodded to the satchel that crossed his shirt. “I think I'll check out the city while you and Erik party—be well.”

“And you, too,” Anna replied, hugging him. As she let go, she stepped back and added, “God kjer þe.

Ek þe,” Fr. Anton declared before he turned away and walked down the aisle. “God love you,” he repeated to Anna’s father as he walked towards the suites.

“And you,” he called back in passing.

Hearing a dance of clumsy and light feet, Anna leaned out of the doorway of her father's suite. “He's coming,” she thought. Straightening her face and flattening her voice, she announced, “Papa, I picked you a scent.”

His face varied between smile and widened eyes. “Thanks, Anna?”

She nodded, “Of course,” then stood still and broke: “...It's a little strong in there.”

Anna hopped into her suite and shut the door before the fumes hit her father. Inside, she perched herself by the dresser, where she drew a deep breath. “Fresh air,” she exhaled, slouching down with the outgoing breath of Je l’Eau, No. 7 and sitting back up with the incoming bland airplane air.

Crossing her leg, Anna applied her makeup. Then, she switched into her dress, a floor-length gown in midnight blue that rested just off her shoulders, to which she added an array of silver jewelry. Among layered necklaces, she fixed central to the others an ornate crucifix—the necklace “par excellence,” she deemed it. It was her most prized piece. Gently, she set a note back into its box. It bore her father's handwriting: “To Anna Lovisa—June 11, 2019.” Then, she shut the lid; it bore her great-grandfather's penmanship: “To Maria Natalia, mina kjerlina, en denne Natale, 1926.”

Arriving to Gustavsborg Palace

“Well, we're here, Annekke. Ready?” Her father asked, wrapping his arm around her.

With one hand, Anna steadied the gifts for the emperor and empress of Aureumterra on her lap, and with the other, she completed her father's side hug. Turning her eyes to him, she answered, “Ready?” In a squeal, she added, “I'm glad!” Carefully, she climbed out of the limousine, setting the gifts on its roof, then inspecting her father's tuxedo as he stepped out. “I'll have to fix his sash,” she thought. Then she faced him and teased, “I'm glad—the cat finally gave you back your tongue! And just in time, at that.”

“Travel was deathly silent,” she expressed. “You said two words the whole time.”

“Four.”

“Two words to me.”

The king let out a small smile. "I had to save my voice for the others. You've heard it your whole life, Kjerlina."

Anna sighed, “Well, at least we're here now.” She pushed the gifts to within his reach. “On that note, you should probably carry these—or else, you'll be playing with your sash.”

“Genius,” Erik nodded.

Anna smiled. “Thanks, Papa.” With that, she began met him on his side of the limousine and, taking his arm, walked with him up the palace steps. He looked at the stars above. She looked at the steps: “Don't trip.”
Last edited by Emerstari on Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Christian, semi-constitutional monarchy
Current Year: 2036
Current King: Erik XII Georg
(b. 1970, r. 2007-present)
Bunny and Friend:
(\__/) (\(\
(='.'=) ( - -)
(")_(") ((‘) (’)

Brettenwald
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Brettenwald » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:55 am

"Why me?"

His Majesty's response was a rather pointed silence during which he took the opportunity to get a cigarette going, cradling the phone handset between ear and shoulder as the Duke took note of an S.T. Dupont lighter's trademark *cling* from the other end of the line.

"I thought Helena was trying to get you to quit smoking."

"She'll have to try harder."

"Returning to the issue at hand, you and I both know Magnus lives for this kind of this thing. Why me?"

"I'm busy, Henrik's obsessed with his work as always, and Magnus has family matters to contend with at the moment. Besides, you deserve a break. You've been on your feet since you quit the army. You've got the ideal image for these people- family man, long and distinguished military career, known conservative, not an uptight asshole."

"Me, busy? You've been busy for the past thirty-five years."

"Not like I have a choice. Besides, can you imagine me retiring to the countryside and taking up bass fishing?" The king chuckled, loosening his tie and leaning back in his desk chair. "Anyway, you're going. Take Aiden. The boy still needs his social debut, even if it's a couple of years late."

"Understood." Arin never enjoyed arguing with his eldest brother, not that he ever won anyway.

"You'll be in town at the end of the month, so come see me and we'll talk in person."

"Will do." Click.

The Duke cleared his throat. "We all know what we're walking into, naturally, but there are a couple of things I want to reiterate. Aiden?"

"Yeah?" His youngest son turned away from looking out the Maybach limousine's window, running a hand over wavy hair so platinum-blond it was practically white beaten into louche but respectable submission via brush, comb and his preferred wet-look pomade as opposed to his usual shaggy borderline mullet.

"No yeah, for one thing. I know you remember your manners but I also know that people may have preconceived notions of you and I will not have this family embarrassed. No gambling, no dirty jokes, at least try not to swear and go outside if you need a cigarette. Yes ma'am, no sir, eye contact, firm handshakes or bows as applicable, and just watch what I do regarding the Emperor and Empress. Understood?"

The young prince was perhaps pushing the boundaries of the dress code in spirit if not letter clad in an all-black tuxedo set off by rose gold studs & diamond-studded cufflinks. The Duke privately thought that the matching rose gold Patek Philippe watch, chain-link bracelet and multitude of rings (featuring more diamonds) made the kid look like a particularly high-class pimp but preservation of domestic peace and tranquility made him hold his tongue.

"Yes, sir." His father rolled his eyes at the deadpan response followed by a wink dripping with sarcasm and a "what? I'm just breaking your balls a little, lighten up" kind of grin but was well aware that he'd been the same way at nineteen too, contenting himself by turning to the young lady in the seat next to Aiden.

"Miss Majasdottir," for the Duke was always formal with his children's romantic partners even during what was internally termed the Ladykiller Era a couple of years ago when it seemed like Aiden was going through about a girlfriend a month, "you look like a million crowns. I'm not worried about you in the slightest, but you do know that there are going to be girls here who'll think you're just a commoner and want to pick you apart at the joints. Bugger them. You'll do great."

"Thank you, Duke Arin," she replied, smiling like she meant it through nervousness threatening to rear its head again. Branwen had taken the less-is-more approach with a figure-hugging but relatively simple strapless gown in a stunning midnight blue silk set off by white evening gloves and a diamond & sapphire pendant. No high heels, though; winding up five feet ten meant she'd never felt the need and she couldn't dance in them anyway. Combined with subtle makeup & lip gloss and modestly braided golden-blonde hair, the overall effect on her boyfriend was something like having Helen of Troy start indiscriminately adding zeroes to the end of his bank balance.

For his part the Duke was pulling off a bog-standard tuxedo and military service pins with respectable élan for being fifty-seven years old and not quite escaping a dad bod after a well-deserved retirement from the army twelve years prior, having a full head and beard of dark blonde though notably greying hair and looking out at the world through dark brown eyes as opposed to Branwen's girl-next-door sky blue and his son's half old soul, half pure mischief light green.

The Maybach deposited the trio at Gustavsborg without fuss and with minimal waiting in the line of cars, with the Duke taking point on the walk inside (age, fatherhood and rank as prince on paper had its advantages) and Aiden linking his arm with Branwen's in a slightly old-fashioned escort- he'd have preferred simply to hold her hand but this was Aureumterra and you made allowances -following behind. The Duke considered the statue of Lisette being borne aloft by angels a tremendous damned eyesore but nodded appreciatively for the benefit of his hosts.

It would, like as not, be the first of many such moments during the gala.
Last edited by Brettenwald on Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRETTENWALD
Factbook completion will occur when hell freezes over and this nation is basically what happens at 3 AM when I overdose on Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Game of Thrones. Trans rights or you're getting kneecapped.
Center-right largely-absolute monarchy populated by the majority-pagan descendants of a mix of Vikings, Iron Age German rednecks and the odd shipwreck survivor coming into its own on the world stage during the final stages of a 32-year watershed moment under the watchful eye of an emperor who was never supposed to be one. Strict MT, current year though lore posts are generally asynchronous. Brettain is a catchall demonym, flag waifu by Polish Prussian Commonwealth, NS stats not canon.

Polish Prussian Commonwealth
Senator

Founded: Oct 30, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Polish Prussian Commonwealth » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:36 pm

1400 - Jan. 21 2824 A.L | Henneberg Castle, Bundesstaat Kraichgau | Adraestia
"So. That's that." Helga von Henneberg leaned back heavily in her armchair with a sigh. "A few days in Aureumterra, is it? One hopes that you shall remember your manners. You represent our House, Helena, even if we no longer hold fiefs or carry quills."

"Of course, Tante." Helena gave a perfect, practiced smile. "I am well aware of the duties that are placed upon me - even on occasions such as these."

"Good, good." Helga nodded. "I know you will do us all proud, Lena, and it warms this old woman's heart to see such a responsible youth as yourself."

"Thank you dearly, Aunt Helga." Helena bowed her head slightly. "I'll bring something back for you while I'm there - it's not all business and contracts."

"Mhm. Try to enjoy yourself, Helena. Appreciate their culture for what it is, even if it is not as...liberal as ours."

"Of course. Even under a stifling autocracy, much of the values remain - the sort that make successful nations, nations that are capable of looking forward into the future – nations capable of producing real change in the world. In that? Aureumterra and Adraestia are closer than many might guess."

"A good answer, Lena." Helga, at last, matched her niece's smile for a brief moment. "You always were the more clever and open-minded of my nieces. Not like Irene."

Helena nodded gravely. "Nene's - rejection of your generosity was a blow to me as well. I still can't understand what happened. She might not have the same breeding, but von Henneberg blood - Adraestian blood - was in her all the same."

"Mhm. Perhaps she is too rustic. Too Ryszanan to be salvaged. A shame, a tragedy, but when one raises a child on jingoistic myth and zealotry in her early years, the damage is often irreversible."

"Indeed, Tante."

"I'm glad you've remained faithful to me, though, dear Lena. And forgive an old woman's rambling."

"Not at all. The loss of Nene to that red-haired zealot was...keen to you, I know."

"Mhm. Thank you, Lena. You understand...now - don't let me keep you. Have fun in Potens, live a little - and be sure to visit me again when you return."

"I will."

Helena swept gaily through the gates of the Gustavsborg, her high-heels clacking against the pavement like a metronome. As she went along, she began running down a final checklist with regards to her appearance.

Her hair had been done up perfectly for the occasion – coiffed and long, like a golden waterfall cascading down her back, and her dress was a fine thing – backless, form-fitting, and made of black charmeuse. Matched with it were a pair of satin–black opera–gloves. A touch of makeup here and there rounded things out.

As she went along, she seemed every part a professional woman, perhaps with a touch of old nobility about her – but ultimately here for business first and pleasure second. Helena took pride in that fact – that among all the kings and princes gathered here, she was one of the few elect present – those who knew the value of hard work and of common living, and who were here to put those experiences to use for bettering their nations and the world.

Her ego-stroking reverie was interrupted briefly as she noticed the Brettenwalders passing by. Though she knew the face of the old Duke Arin, the prince beside him was less familiar – and given his dress, that was for the best. He looked every part like the spitting image of a problematic old-money scion – ostentatious jewels, a Patek watch, some poor, naive girl on his arm – all the signs of conspicuous consumption.

The sight disgusted her enough that she doubled her pace, and entered ahead of him.
"Furthermore, I submit that Carthage NSG must be destroyed." t. Marcus Porcius Cato

IC name is "Blauveldt-Ryszana".

A traumatized, but recovering, MT-Early PMT/FanT constitutional monarchy consisting of a personal and constitutional union of two Realms. Features: near-universal gun ownership, governmental dysfunction, terrified Christinaslander Air National Guard personnel counting down the days until they rotate back home, and an eternal standoff with the last of it's former oppressors.

Aureumterra III
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aureumterra III » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:09 pm

(Post Co-Written with Ghant)

Ballroom
Gustavsborg Palace

Christina had carefully examined herself a few times while she was getting dressed with Johanna, but she was still nonetheless careful not to appear unkempt in any way. The Imperial Princess wasn’t one who liked to go overboard in her attire, but she enjoyed simple and nonetheless beautiful outfits for special occasions like this one. She wore a grayish blue lace gown that buttoned its riff over her chest, glimmering with studded diamonds that twinkled against the reflecting light. The gown didn’t spread too much, keeping rather close to her body and legs as it flowed down. She wore bright blue sapphire earrings, offering a deep contrast to her hazel eyes, and of course, the small, heart shaped pendant that her mother had given to her when she was little. On her breast were two monograms, that of her brother’s, and that of her own, signifying both her rank and her allegiance. The outfit was complemented by her light brown hair combed to flow down to a rest behind her, with a few locks falling in front of her shoulders.

Christina had known the night would be fateful, a potential for the courtship that was long rumored to finally come to fruition at the forefront. She had expected this, yet she nonetheless was anxious, unknowing what exactly lay ahead for her tonight, or in her life as a whole. Johanna had reassured her, everything will be fine, just trust your instinct, don’t be afraid to say no if he doesn’t feel right so on and so forth - yet even the words of her childhood friend and loyal lady-in-waiting didn’t ease her stress.

She stood in the ballroom, as the guests began arriving, scanning the room until she caught sight of the Ghantish - quite a large party of folks. Many of them she recognized, if by nothing other than name.

The Princess took a deep breath and approached them, with a warm smile much more characteristic of her usual public persona, as they walked in, “Welcome, everyone!” She greeted with a slight bow of acknowledgement to the party. “It’s wonderful to see all of you - I am Christina, Imperial Princess of Aureumterra.” She looked at Bebe, continuing to smile invitingly, “And good evening to you.”

“Thank you, your Highness,” the Crown Prince smiled back, albeit smugly. “And likewise. Please, allow me to introduce my brothers and sisters in attendance this evening.” As though it were a drill that the had all run many times before, the Crown Prince began to introduce his siblings in the order of their birth. “This is my sister Sara, the Princess Imperial of Ghant.”

“Greetings, your Highness,” Sara said in a flowery voice, accompanied by a formal, flawless courtesy. “The splendor of the ball is matched only by the regality of the venue and of your own radiance.”

Christina continued smiling, nodding at the introduction of the Ghantish Princess, “My Pleasure, and as do you, your highness” She said in response. She observed her prim and proper mannerisms, a girl clearly well aversed in the manners of court life. She reminded her a lot of her sister-in-law.

The Crown Prince nodded before shifting to his oldest brother. “This here is my brother John.”

Unlike their sister Sara, John was very much lacking in poise. “...Your Highness,” he said timidly. “A pleasure to mmmeet you.” He clumsily bowed and avoided eye contact.

Christina sensed the unease the prince was feeling, and slightly lowered herself to make him feel more at ease, continuing her inviting expression, “And a pleasure to meet you as well, Prince John! It is wonderful to finally meet you.” Christina had known about John to an extent prior. Her interests in academic pursuits had brought her across the Ghantish prince’s name a few times. She was intrigued by his seemingly deep intellect.

Staring at him with a resigned look in his eyes, the Crown Prince shifted his gaze to the next one. “This is my sister Princess Valerie.” If his tone served as any indication, the enthusiasm the Crown Prince had for introducing her was limited.

“Hello, Princess Christina,” Valerie said with a much more casual courtesy than the one that Sara had done. “Nice place you have here.”

Christina stopped herself from raising an eyebrow at the comparatively cold introduction from Valerie. She maintained her demeanor, albeit somewhat flinching as she nodded, “And a pleasure to meet you as well, Princess Valerie.”

The Crown Prince suspected that Valerie was going to say something else, but apparently she hesitated, and not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, he shifted again to Nicholas. “This is my brother Nicholas,” the Crown Prince added, dryly.

“Well met, your Highness,” the Prince said gruffly but not impolitely with a decent bow. It wasn’t that Nicholas was timid like John, more that he was a reserved and somewhat stiff boy by nature.

“...This is my brother William,” the Crown Prince said as he gestured towards the youngest prince of their entourage.

“A pleasure, your Highness,” the young prince said with a honeyed voice. “Truly a marvelous occasion.” There was a hint of sarcasm in his voice that the Crown Prince had no choice but to overlook, and with a slight sideways stare lingering on him, he transitioned to Grace.

Christina acknowledged the two younger princes, whom she had not known much of prior. She sensed they were making their social debuts at this time, and were relatively new to functions of this nature, “Pleasure to make your acquaintances, Prince Nicholas, Prince William.”

“...And this one here is my sister Grace.” The Princess required the cold eyes of her oldest brother upon her to keep her composed, as Grace was otherwise likely to jump out of her shoes in excitement.

“Greetings, your Highness, you look very pretty this evening. The palace does too, and the decorations, and the dresses, and the upholstery, and the music, and the…”

Christina’s smile widened to a joyous grin as she observed the bubbling excitement of the little princess. Her curious eyes and joyful demeanor was wondrous for her to witness, almost contagious in a way. She reminded her a lot of how some of her cousins used to be when they were younger - it had been a long while since court was filled with youthful laughter like this.

“Thank you, Grace,” Bebe interrupted her, causing her to turn quiet and look down. “That’s all of us, your Highness, and your hospitality is greatly appreciated.”

Christina visibly flinched at the interruption, almost taken aback at Bebe’s demeanor towards her. It felt markedly uncharacteristic for the otherwise polite and courteous man she had gotten to know the previous day… nonetheless she brushed it off and leaned down to be level with Grace, “You look fabulous too, Grace. I hope you have fun tonight” she said with a wide smile.

She stood back up and looked at Bebe, “It’s my pleasure to receive all of you. The Emperor and Empress will see you shortly, they are currently greeting the other sovereigns present, but will receive you soon as well. Until then, make yourselves feel comfortable, grab a drink and enjoy the atmosphere.” She said with a pleasurable expression.

Not one to be shy when it came to opening her mouth, Valerie replied, “where’s the drinks and what do you have?”

The Crown Prince winced at her and asked “why don’t you look around and find out?”

Valerie, on point, countered with “because then it’ll look like I’m looking for someone or something and then I’ll get harassed by somebody who thinks I’m attractive. I’d rather just know where the wine is and go straight for it in haste.”

William and Grace had to hold back laughter, the latter’s cheeks turning red as she choked back on it. The Crown Prince cleared his throat and said “I think it would be good for you to mingle with some of the other esteemed guests. They’re from important nations, after all.”

Shrugging, Valerie quipped, “must not be that important if I haven’t heard of half of them,” she answered with a smirk.

With a gentle hand placed on Valerie’s shoulder, Sara explained that “well, sister, perhaps if you learned about them, you’d learn how important they are.”

“...Sounds like work, Sara,” Valerie replied with a great smile, almost in mockery of the Princess Imperial. “I’ll need wine for that.”

Christina observed the testy exchange between the siblings, Valerie’s impulsivities already had rubbed her the wrong way. Nonetheless, she knew better than to let her personal thoughts overcome her in this professional setting, “If you so please, you can sample some of the wines we have going around here, ask the staff, they’ll be more than happy to accommodate you.” She said somewhat less warmly. “And we do have esteemed dignitaries from faraway lands - perhaps you will learn about places you’ve never known about. The world is a fascinating place.”

At this moment, John finally worked up the courage to speak. “Indulge me for a moment as I regale you of an ancient land known as Hostillia. Picture, if you will, a land shrouded in mystery, where the sky is painted with hues unseen by mortal eyes, and the very air hums with the melody of ancient secrets. In this land of wonder, the flora and fauna dance in harmony, each leaf and creature a testament to the boundless creativity of nature. Trees, taller than any cathedral spire, reach towards the heavens with branches adorned in blossoms of iridescent colors, while elusive creatures with wings of shimmering opal dart through the canopy like fleeting dreams.”

Valerie briefly closed her eyes, as though she were feigning sleep, while the Crown Prince had to restrain himself from placing his face in the palm of his hand. Sara listened attentively however, while the younger siblings began to grow restless.

Christina, in contrast, was fascinated by the prince’s story. She herself was an aspiring writer, one who often dreamt of faraway lands, fantasies, and such. She pondered thoughtfully as she listened to John.

“But it is not only the natural wonders that captivate the mind in this realm. Oh no, for the denizens of this land are as enigmatic as the land itself. Picture, if you can, a society where time flows like the gentle ebb and flow of a river, where the concept of past, present and future intertwine in a mesmerizing tapestry of existence. There, the scholars are revered as sages, their minds alight with the wisdom of ages past and the foresight to glimpse into the very fabric of reality. They ponder questions that would drive lesser minds to madness, unraveling the mysteries of the cosmos with the fervor of an insatiable hunger. And yet, despite their intellectual prowess, these scholars are not aloof or detached from the world around them. No, they walk amongst the people, their wisdom a guiding light in times of darkness, their words a beacon of hope in a world fraught with uncertainty.”

At this point, Grace, ever restless, tried wandering off, while Valerie had already gone not long after John continued speaking. “Oh, how I long to journey to this land of endless possibility, to immerse myself in the boundless depths of knowledge that await beyond the horizon. For in the pursuit of understanding, we find not only enlightenment but the very essence of what it means to be alive.”

William began to clap softly in sneering applause. “Thank you for telling us about the Empire of Hostillia, John. I’m sure Her Highness found that very insightful. I’m sure the Emperor would like to hear about that too.”

“...You think so?” John asked his younger brother. “And thank you, by the way…I find these sorts of events benefit from a thorough cultural exchange.”

The Crown Prince gave a curt nod. “As you can see, your Highness, John here is the intellectual prodigy of our generation, and doesn’t lack for…mental engagement.”

Christina was beaming with fascination, “I am very impressed… I myself am quite involved in writing and academia. I wish I could travel more, see more of the world the Father has created, but the realities of my rank often require me to put my duty first. Nonetheless, writing is one of my favorite pastimes.”

She turned to John, with an expression of intrigue, “Indulge me. Do you not suppose that these scholars in this land you speak of, that they are to be the examples for men and women of rank like ourselves? Those who lead not from strength, power, or fear - but through wisdom and knowledge. Not being detached from those of lesser wisdom, but guiding them on the path to enlightenment and salvation?”

John considered this question carefully before answering, while Sara exchanged smiles at her brothers, though the Crown Prince maintained a stoic expression. The two younger princes on the other hand were speaking quietly to themselves, exchanging glances between John and Christina. John began to explain that “throughout history, civilizations have flourished under the guidance of wise and learned leaders. From the days of antiquity to the modern era, the influence of scholars has been profound and far-reaching. It is no coincidence that some of the greatest achievements in human history have occurred under the stewardship of those who valued knowledge and wisdom above all else.

“Indeed, the merits of having scholars as leaders are numerous and profound. Scholars possess a depth of understanding and insight that is unmatched in any other profession. Through years of rigorous study and contemplation, they have acquired the tools necessary to analyze complex issues, formulate innovative solutions and anticipate the consequences of their actions.

“Furthermore, scholars bring a unique perspective to the table…one that is grounded in evidence, reason and critical thinking. In a world plagued by uncertainty and misinformation, the ability to separate fact from fiction is more valuable than ever. By entrusting scholars with leadership positions, we can ensure that our politics are based on sound principles and empirical evidence rather than mere speculation or ideological bias.”

Christina listened with a perplexed expression. She had been well-read in the great texts of the Veldikirkjan’s Church Fathers, the theologians and philosophers that shaped Aureumterran society from time immemorial, advising the Hæstirétts in shaping the policies of the Empire and the ancient society it upheld within it. Many such questions had been considered in these texts, the great Reverend Trygvar of Snekkersten, who posited the idea of the Hæstirétts responsibility to be wise and pass that wisdom on - use their wisdom to the benefit of the Enme that looked up to the Hæstirétt as their spiritual father.

Many such ideas had been received differently from various Hæstirétts throughout history, some saw it as a demeaning of their position, while others saw it as a duty to grow their own wisdom and best carry out their sacred task. Certainly, for Christina, as a woman of divinely elect blood, she saw it as part of her mission, induced by the Holy Spirit, to make herself wise and an example for all of the Enme to follow. Christina considered John’s thoughts as the prince continued,

“Moreover, scholars possess the moral integrity and ethical fortitude necessary to navigate the complexities of governance. Their commitment to truth and justice serves as a guiding light in times of uncertainty, inspiring confidence and trust among the populace.”

“But perhaps most importantly, scholars have a deep-seated commitment to the common good. Unlike some politicians who are driven by personal ambition or self-interest, scholars are motivated by a genuine desire to improve the lives of others and advance the cause of human progress. They understand that true leadership is not about wielding power or amassing wealth, but rather about serving the needs of the people and safeguarding the welfare of future generations.”

She felt strangely refreshed to hear such rhetoric from the Ghantish Prince. Over all of her years, reading, writing, and studying various philosophies, she often felt that the world had strayed far from the philosophies that put wisdom and intellect above sheer physical or verbal prowess. In many ways, the princess considered the world of today to be a far cry from the ideal society imagined in the works of great thinkers such as Rev. Trygvar, a world which they termed the “Rule of the Blind Mob,” where meek followers simply fall in line behind those who are outwardly strong in any fashion. For her, dialogue and advice from the wise, questioning and judging the world by its own merits was the greatest strength a divinely elected ruler could posit to His or Her own subjects. And yet the world of today, ever seeming on the brink of collapse and great suffering, continued to fall behind due to the absence of this wisdom from many.

The Crown Prince, never one to be upstaged, prepared a rebuttal, and when his brother had finished speaking, the Crown Prince began his counterargument. “While I appreciate my brother’s thoughtfulness and dedication to wise governance, I must respectfully offer a rebuttal to the notion that scholars should be entrusted with leadership roles and the setting of national policy.”

“Throughout history, there have been leaders who have risen to greatness not through the pursuit of knowledge alone, but through strength, courage, and decisive action. It is strength, not scholarship, that has often been the defining characteristic of successful rulers.”

“In times of crisis and uncertainty, it is not the erudite pontifications of scholars that inspire confidence and instill trust, but rather resolute leadership of those who are unafraid to make tough decisions and take bold action. It is strength of character, not depth of intellect, that wins the respect and admiration of the people.”

“Furthermore, the world is not a laboratory or a debating society…it is a battleground where nations compete for power and influence. In such a world, it is the strong and the bold who emerge victorious, not the bookish and the contemplative. A ruler who values strength and boldness over wisdom and knowledge is better equipped to navigate the treacherous waters of international politics and defend the interests of their nation.”

For the Aureumterran Princess, this seemed like a splitting mirror image of her own brother’s views. She remained respectful, listening attentively as the Crown Prince spoke, nonetheless, she often saw this same line of thought in Frederik - resulting in his often headstrong recklessness that now lay at the crossroads of putting the entire region into peril.

“Moreover, the idea that scholars possess a monopoly on truth and moral integrity is naive at best and dangerous at worst. History is replete with examples of intellectuals who have used their knowledge to justify weak leadership. It is not enough to be knowledgeable, one must also possess the strength of character to wield power effectively.”

In response to the Crown Prince, John nodded meekly, and cast his eyes upon the floor. The Crown Prince stood tall and proud following his rebuttal, a certain confidence that he believed strongly in what he said.

Christina meanwhile, visibly stiffened, appearing to be somewhat uncomfortable after observing that interaction. She tacitly made eye contact with John, giving a friendly nod, as if to affirm his point.

Sara acknowledged the feelings of both of her brothers, and responded in turn. “It is important to acknowledge the validity in both perspectives. While strength and boldness are undeniably important attributes for a sovereign, and knowledge and wisdom hold undeniable value in guiding policy, it is essential to recognize that the ideal leadership paradigm lies in a harmonious blend of both.

“I believe that a monarch that embodies strength and decisiveness necessary to lead with authority and command, with wise advisors that provide the necessary counsel and insight derived from their depth of knowledge and wisdom, is a combination that can lead to great success. The monarch sets the overarching vision and direction for the realm, while the advisors offer valuable perspectives and expertise to inform decision making. Together, they form a formidable team capable of addressing the multifaceted challenges of governance and advancing the interests of the realm. Therefore, I believe that my brothers, working together, would provide the greatest leadership for Ghant.”

The Crown Prince nodded in approval. “Thank you, sister, I couldn't agree more. Our brother John here will serve me well when I am Emperor.” Putting an arm around his brother John’s shoulders, the Crown Prince grinned, while John gave a faint smile.

For a moment, Christina’s eyes flashed as she saw herself in John - and Frederik in Bebe. It struck her profoundly, she saw herself in the past in what she was observing. Though she had only gotten to know these siblings for the past few moments, the princess felt she knew exactly what their predicament was. So much for how he talked about my thoughtfulness yesterday, Christina thought to herself.

“You know, your highness, that it is often one’s own hubris that puts even the most powerful rulers into peril. If we look though the great and storied histories of the world, our two realms, and the expansive world beyond, we often find that such stories repeat over and over again.”

“Perhaps one of the most well-known ones, you may have even read, written by the great Veldikirkjan theologian Reverend Granni of Espegærd, in his 15th century treatise, Stórveldisnátturá spoke of a parable that has become famous the world over since. This is the parable of Liljuro Magnusson, Chieftain of the Mævenistrider.”

“The great Chieftain was one of the most powerful pre-Canutian rulers on all of the Nordurland plain. His realm stretched across regions, encompassing mountains, forests, and rivers. He traded with the wealthy civilizations in the Sombre State, of Hiakemeria, and beyond the ocean. He believed himself to be unstoppable, he believed he could rule over everything.”

“But then, one day, a lowly fief of his entered his chamber. The fief only introduced himself as such, and asked his liege for material support, for his clan was facing a mass famine, and their prayers had gone unanswered.”

“Liljuro did not consider the fief worthy of even his personal attention. He claimed that helping others was below his station, that he was simply destined to conquer all, that wasting his time to fulfill such a request, one which would have not even dented the food stores of his vast realm, was far below his station. Indeed, his station, as he believed, was only to conquer and rule, subjugate and enslave. After all, is that not what good, powerful rulers do?” Christina paused with a somewhat slight, but smug smile on her face.

“And so amidst the starvation and hardship, the clan of the fief had to learn to adapt. They were forced to learn to fight and fend for themselves, in hardship and suffering. Many died, but those who survived were hardened, they now had to raid others for their resources, those that they were denied from their ostensible fief.”

“Eventually, a period of great cold entered the entire Nordurland plain. The winters lasted longer, the growing seasons shorter, the skies blackened, as the Earth itself spewed with ash into the sky. Crops failed, and the great domain of Liljuro also suffered this hardship. In line with his thinking, all the Chieftain did was look to force to solve his problems. When those of his own clan would be suffering, he would massacre the clans of his fiefs, even betraying his allies, and his lowly subjects to seize their resources. After all, he was powerful, who would stop him?”

“The once admired Chieftain became a hated tyrant. And the hardened clan of the fief he had rejected before, in its hardship, had innovated new methods of agriculture - one which outlasts the darkened summers from the eruptions. And unlike Liljuro, they were compassionate, they spread their knowledge when they saw other clans suffering, and those that aligned with them thrived while those under Liljuros’ domain suffered.”

“Eventually, these clans out of respect and admiration, willingly submitted themselves under said fief. Those who were once under Liljuro swore their fealty to them as well, not out of fear or dread, but out of genuine respect, gratitude,compassion - and love. They did not need to conquer - but they were unafraid to use force when needed. And when Liljuro’s clan realized what was happening, the Chieftain was understandably furious. He saw it as a slight on his own power, and a slight upon his own authority. He was the master of Nordurland, how could anyone else threaten him like this.”

“And so, being used to conquering other clans with ease, he sent his armies against this fief. A lowly fief, he believed, could hardly do much against him. But he was in for a shock, as the hardship he had forced them into before anyone else had made them fearsome as well, and the compassion they had shown to their own subjects and fiefs had made them respect - even revered. Their armies fought with righteous cause and superior strategy against the brute force attacks of the once mighty Chieftain, and in this battle, Liljuro himself lost his life. His vast domain was now entirely under the benign rule of this fief who he had rejected, when he only came asking for some help.”

“It is said that this clan was the Åltæden - and this fief was none other than my own forefather, Aksel Åltasson, the grandfather of HMDEIM Cnut I. The clan’s righteousness would go on to make it elect by the Father himself, and give it righteous domain over the Faith, guiding and nurturing the Enme like a father does to his children.” Christina recounted the legendary parable in her own words, with a sense of pride in herself for remembering correctly. She looked at the two princes, “So, make of that what you shall, but it is quite dangerous to fall prey to one’s own hubris, before one’s own hubris consumes you, as what happened to Liljuro Magnusson.”

The Crown Prince listened carefully to the story, and when it was over, he repeated softly, “is that not what good, powerful rulers do? The answer is no, it’s not.” Laughing for a brief moment, he added that “Liljuro was a fool. A noble sovereign provides for the needs of his people and encourages cooperation and unity in times of peril. This is as God intended.”

John nodded his head and sagely said “for in the upliftment of the weak and impoverished lies not just the fulfillment of our moral duty but the safeguarding of the realm’s stability and resilience. Consider the farmer toiling in the fields, the artisan laboring over his craft, the widow struggling to provide for her children; their well-being is not divorced from ours but intricately intertwined.

“When we extend our hand to lift the downtrodden, we do not merely offer alms; we invest in the very fabric of society. We foster a culture of empathy and solidarity, wherein every citizen feels valued and empowered to contribute their unique gifts to our collective civilization.”

Christina pondered thoughtfully with a smile, “I could not agree more, your highness. It is certainly a shame in our world today, that many sovereigns and rulers forget this basic fact. They too, like Liljuro, get caught up in their hubris and decadence, and neglect the very fabric of those who they are tasked to care for by God… unfortunately, some would consider this very culture of empathy and solidarity that you speak of a weakness.” The princess remarked with a slight smirk.

Sara added that “the strength of a kingdom is not solely measured in the opulence of its palaces or the might of its armies but in the dignity afforded to its weakest members. A society that turns a blind eye to the plight of its vulnerable is a kingdom built on fragile foundations, susceptible to unrest and discord, as Liljuro learned.”

Christina nodded in agreement, a slight smirk still on her face, “And yet, many of high blood still choose to bury their heads in the sand and only care for themselves, as if they would be in their positions without the billions who serve under them.”

It was at that moment that Nicholas finally spoke up. “Is your brother like that, your Highness?” The question prompted Bebe to give a sideways glare at his younger brother.

Christina’s smirk quickly turned into a cautious frown, “Not entirely - it is a characteristic you find more often than many would like to imagine or believe in the halls of power, perhaps if you search your own feelings, you too shall see it within you. We are all prone to vice, after all, unfortunately.” She knew better than to let loose her true feelings on her brother in the company of so many potential… gossipers.

“I have,” Nicholas responded curtly, his expression serious. “It’s not there.”

“Maybe you haven’t searched hard enough,” laughed William in an attempt to add some levity to the situation. “I’ve seen what those training dummies in the sparring room look like after you’re done with them.”

Nicholas gave a curt grunt before turning slightly and saying, “I should go look after Grace, if you would excuse me, your Highness.” With that said, Nicholas began walking away.

“Oh, wait for me,” William replied excitedly. “I want to see what she tries to eat first. Got some bets going on that.” The younger prince began to walk off after his older brother.

Christina nodded to the two princes with a slight chuckle, “Enjoy.” She turned to Bebe and John, with a somewhat neutral expression, “It was wonderful getting to know your younger brother, he certainly is a brilliant young man. I’d be proud to have him in my family.” She spoke to Bebe with a hint of an inviting smile at John, “And just as delighted to meet the rest of your brothers and sisters as well. It has been a long while since the raw laughter of a sweet little girl has filled this palace, I can only hope Madalena fills that soon.” The Aureumterran Princess spoke of her niece.

“Which one?” John asked curiously. “There’s two.”

Christina raised an eyebrow, “There’s three… you of course.” She said with a smile.

Bebe’s response was a bit more reserved. “Be careful what you wish for.”

“Oh, they’re not all that bad,” added Sara gingerly. “I suppose they can be annoying at times, like any siblings.”

Christina grinned, “Wouldn’t I know. Being the middle child is always rather taxing.”

“You’re too kind,” John responded, blushing.

“...When it comes time to present ourselves to your brother, please let us know so I can make sure we’re all together for the occasion,” Bebe spoke dryly in an attempt to take control of the conversation again. “It seems as though we’ve been going our separate ways.”

Christina glanced towards the head of the ballroom, “Indeed, my brother and sister-in-law are currently greeting those of sovereign rank as per protocol, but they will be with you all very soon. In the meantime, feel free to make yourself comfortable and grab some drinks, we have a long night ahead.” She expressed somewhat monotonously to Bebe.

“I’d be happy to entertain you until then,” Sara said to Christina with a smile. “Unless you have other things you need to do in the meantime…”

“Oh, I’d be honored.” Christina said with a smile, “I don’t have anything beyond treating our guests here tonight, after all.”

Sara nodded at Christina and glanced at Bebe and John. They understood what it meant. “I suppose we should go see about the refreshments,” the Crown Prince inclined his head towards his sister and Christina. “If you’d excuse us.”

“...Well met, your Highness,” John said with a curt bow towards Christina, his eye contact uneven and his smile faint. The Crown Prince put a hand on John’s shoulder and guided him away, but not before he could look at the Princess one last time before fading into the crowd.

Christina smiled back at John, giving him a tacit nod in response. In her mind, she was much more uneasy, however - almost as if she had seen flashes of a… very different man in Bebe than the one she had gotten to know earlier. She suppressed her thoughts and decided to observe him more as she turned her attention to Sara.

IIWiki

Free Norfolk City
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 15, 2021
Democratic Socialists

Postby Free Norfolk City » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:24 am

Norfolkites had always had a rather contentious relationship with foreign monarchies, ever since the Garbanians threw them to the wolves, back in 1868—so much so, in fact, that quite a few Norfolkites still harbored a deep-seated resentment of the very idea of a monarchy, particularly in the District of Shaiburg, where citizens were grumbling about the possibility, in their minds, of President Kindrakewich bending the knee before some inbred bastard or whoever.

They voted for her because she had proven to be a strong, capable woman; they called her the woman of steel (they already had an iron lady) because she was unwavering in her patriotic piety. A fervent crusader for the republic, Lorraine might've been widely considered rude, abrasive, demanding, and cruel by her opponents, but the people loved her for it. They loved that she wasn't like the average politicians of the world, who hide behind cute little buzzwords and milquetoast appeals to political correctness: her authenticity was a breath of fresh air, and then some.

Many of them's ancestors had fought and died for the Garbanian monarchy in the Caprona War, and despite the fact that some of them had opened fire on protesters during the infamous Shaiburg Massacre, their descendants seemed quite happy with throwing it in the faces of the politicos who, on national television, insisted that President Kindrakewich was going to do what she had always done: "The government and people of this country assure you that Ogtogo will remain Norfolkite; that it does not matter who or what has an issue with the chief aim of my presence in Aureumterra; that the government's goal has, is, and will always be to secure the existence of our people and a future for our children."

Her supporters applauded, and cheered ecstatically as she slowly, coldly, removed herself from the podium to talk to her husband, Humbert. He called himself her number one fan, and despite the myriad differences between them, she found that she couldn't quite quit him, no matter how she might occassionally find herself appreciating her fellow women just a little bit longer than usual.

"I'm sure you'll get it all done just well," he'd tell her. "You've always done such a great job, 'Lo. We all have such big faith in you!"

Sometimes, Humbert didn't seem to identify her as his wife; sometimes, he felt less like the father of her children, and more like a child himself, trying so desperately to win her affection; no matter how much she showed it to him, he always seemed to think he was missing something essential to himself.

Still, she could not quit him. After all, what example would she be setting? She can't even control her own marriage, and she thinks she can effectively govern the lives of billions of Norfolkites? Plus, she knew that bastard Balacua over in Esvanovia, still smarting over the fact that he didn't get his way, would love to exploit anything he could find about her. To think she used to sorta look up to him, to think that she had once considered him to be her strongest ally. Had he only just towed the line, he'd have been vice president right now.

As far as she could make out, Humbert was telling the truth: the people of the city state, and her Esvanovian colony, were firmly behind her. There were numerous indigenous and settler parades in Ogtogo, where they awaited with bated breath, with great trepidation and bubbling excitement, her message of success: that the Aureumterrans had finally learned that Ogtogo is Norfolkite, would always be Norfolkite; then, once she had dealt with them, maybe she could deal with those pesky Garbanians.

"Fucking Shaiburg," Lorraine grumbled. "Always up my arse about those goddamn Garbanians."

The Garbanians had left over a century ago, and yet were still living rent-free in the minds of many Norfolkites; so much so that in Shaiburg, there were signs on the doors of pubs and restaurants that told Garbanians to buzz off, with graffiti from local thugs telling them to expect a lot more than petty trash talk if they reared their heads 'round here. The ethnic Garbanian community, what was left of it, was quite happy with how forceful the feds had been with curtailing Garbanophobia, but Lorraine knew Shaiburg would rather go up in flames than concede, especially when the Garbanians refused yet again to apologize for the Shaiburg Massacre.

"They won't drop the damn issue," Lorraine reflected, her thoughts drowning out her husband's voice, like always. "They just don't fucking listen, won't fucking listen. I can't keep bashing my head against the brick wall here and expect anything other than my skull to crack."

Lorraine had tried, numerous times, to compel the Garbanians to apologize. Even though Emperor Shevangar VIII considered her a close friend and was always happy to recieve her calls, he told her that there was nothing to be done.

("The Garbanian people believe what was done had to be done. Who am I to disobey the will of the people?")

Lorraine sighed. Shevangar meant well, but what was she supposed to do? So, she reached out to him at least five times, and the answer was always the same. His Imperial Majesty happily took her calls all the same thereafter, but both parties knew the elephant in the room was still there, loudly snoring.

It wasn't even like the Garbanians were wrong about that, mind you. The protesters were looting people's businesses, even their homes. They were dragging innocent people out onto those cold, damp streets, raping and butchering them in cold blood. Men, women, and even children, were being hung from street posts, accused of aiding and abetting the traitors in the Imperial Court. It was the worst violence to hit the country since the Anmhonmite Civil War centuries prior.

Ironically, many more of each would perish once the Imperial Garbanian Army soldiers arrived; a classic hammer-and-anvil strategy was employed, and the savages were routed. The other districts immediately went quiet, practically overnight, as the Norfolkite Detachment's final orders were to contain the violence and ensure a quiet, peaceful transition.

But, at what cost? Innocent people were swept up in the crossfire, and many families were still mourning their loved ones. Sure, the massacre happened over a century ago, but the wounds still bled, and the blood was the ink numerous figures had dipped their pens into; who, after all, could forget that Maruck Grandon, one of the finest pieces of shit you ever saw (Lorraine's words, not ours), had practically took a bucket of it, and tossed its contents at the gates of the Imperial Palace; he might've been considered blisteringly corrupt both politically and individually, but he was elected District Commissioner of Shaiburg in a landslide as a result. Immakulata Birkbeck, a popular fixture in the opera circuit, even broke into cinema with her stirring rendition of the life and times of seventeen year old Yessenia Wyne's mother; Miss Wyne, you see, had been tending to the wounds of her sweetheart, who had refused to take part in the Shaiburg Massacre, when a horseman rode over and, believing she had killed the wounded man (in fact, he had died of his wounds just moments prior), lopped off her head with his sabre; the audience walked out immediately upon seeing this scene, only to end up causing yet another protest against the "Garbanian tyrants."

But it was not completely one-sided; the people in the other districts all agreed that the Shaiburg Massacre was a necessary evil, though mistakes were made; in fact, the best way to troll Shaiburgers was to bring it up at any opportunity, as long as you had some means of protection on you when they pulled out the baseball bats and crowbars; when a series of attacks on ethnic Garbanians occurred, ethnic Garbanians began to do likewise, and the Norfolkite government had to tell both sides to stand down, or face legal reprecussions.

The two sides ended up largely taking things online, shittalking one another via memes and AI soundbites, though folks shared gossip about the young woman who was disowned by her father for hooking up with an ethnic Garbanian, or the young man who was disowned by his mother for slumming it up with a tavern wench.

("This isn't how we do things," President Kindrakewich said in an address to the nation. "This isn't the Norfolkite way. We're supposed to come together as a people, for we are all Norfolkites. We all love our city, and we cannot allow opportunistic vultures to tear at the ties that bind us to one another.")

The Garbanians had also dealt with the Aureumterrans; but, once they handed over the Esvanovian colony to the Norfolkites, had dropped any and all interest in that country. Once the last remaining loyalists fled to Garbania proper, or another colony, the Garbanians forgot the whole region existed; unless, that is, you counted the "Esvanovians" on the census, although they were merely the descendants of indigenous loyalists. Ethnic Garbanians still lived in what was now Norfolk-in-Esvanovia, and they were sometimes stigmatized there too; after all, the Garbanians had all but abandoned the colony, like a poor babe being left on a random doorstep; or, worse, in a dumpster; oh, and did we mention they made little to no effort to wind down the Monmouth Bay Trading Company's operations?

Even the Norfolkites permitted them to maintain the status quo.

("The Monmouth Bay Trading Company has no problem doing business with Aureumterra," the CEO and President, Miguel Tomas Balacua, told the media. "However, we will ensure that no business is conducted that will infringe upon the freedoms of our people, or harm their ability to enjoy the rights bestowed upon them by the Constitution. I have made it more than perfectly clear to the Aureumterran government that our position on Ogtogo is final, and that we will not budge even a single, solitary inch; Ogtogo is Norfolkite, was Norfolkite, and will always be Norfolkite.")

Balacua, so far, was more than willing to back up the Feds, personal differences with Lorraine aside.

("You're a treacherous bitch," Balacua told her over the phone. "You stabbed me in the back, after all I did for you. Without me, you'd be still working some two bit community league gig, and you know it. But I will put aside my righteous crusade against you for the sake of our country."

"Gee. Thanks."

"Don't mention it. Just remember that I am not done with you, and once we've quieted the parasites trying to infest our country from abroad, I will fumigate the whole fucking lot of you who infest it in Redwall."

"Yeah, you keep telling me that. I'm still here, though.

"Why, you..."

"In fact, I'm still your motherfucking president.")

The truth was, Lorraine wasn't too surprised; Balacua had never let her live down her decision to pivot to employing the services of Baldemar Sharman as Vice President; according to Stanleigh Wheller, who represented the MBTC at the inauguration, Balacua was incensed beyond reckoning upon hearing the news; soon after, he was told he had just won an all expenses paid, one way trip to Norfolk-in-Esvanovia; in gratitude, he began trying to turn the colony into his own personal fiefdom, often belittling (when not outright ignoring) the federal agents there, pushing his own policies including what were seen as attacks on the traditional autonomy of the indigenous peoples, such as the Sultanate of Qubboro and the Tomatek bands. The Danûk, in particular, either burned his effigy, or speared it numerous times, before throwing it to the dogs to be torn apart. According to one Danûk man, "We are not scared of this self-absorbed upstart; we fought the lion, enduring his blind treachery. We shall do likewise here."

But peace, for the most part, reigned; unmolested, unbothered, unrelenting. The people of both the city state and the Esvanovian colony were living prosperously.The Kindrakewich Administration was so successful that there was even a sandwich made in the president's honor, served in diners far and wide; foreign nations like Abetton, Katase and AHSCA were lining up to become honored friends of the Norfolkites, and Lorraine was confident that she would win re-election when her first term was up.

Almost.

Not quite.

"I'll be pulling another all nighter tonight," Lorraine told her husband, then. He didn't seem to mind; just like always, he was all for it, even if it meant he'd be sleeping alone again.

"C'mon, Cucu-chan! Can't you convince her to take me with y'all?"

Two young women were laying side by side on the comfortable old bed (don't worry, reader; they're fully clothed) in a rather messy bedroom. There were not only clothes all over the place, but random knick-knacks, paddy-whacks and bric-a-brac, too. The gaming rig sat on a rather cluttered desk, surrounded by figurines of characters from Katasean anime, and bobbleheads of baseball players: "They're, like, my weakness, y'know? You ever just look at one of 'em in their tight little uniforms? Ugh! I wish they'd return my calls sometime!"

"Gee, I don't know, maybe after the twenty third consecutive call without any call back, you'd have learned that it's just not gonna work out."

"Yeah, yeah. God! Why am I such a hopeless romantic?"

"Romantic? You? Honey, you've put out on the first date the past five times. They didn't even need to think of getting romantic with you."

"Gee, thanks, Mom."

"Don't mention it, sweetie."

Cunégonde Kindrakewich smirked, while Miss Dehault tried to wallop her over the head with one of her nearby novelty pillows, also from Katase. Miss upon miss upon miss, and Cunégonde was able to reciprocate, with hit after hit after hit. Then, she got astride her old friend, and pinned her to the bed with an old fashioned arm lock.

"Say auntie! Say it! C'mon, say it!"

"Auntie! Auntie!"

She released the hold, and withdrew back to her side of the bed, rummaging underneath her to find a sealed chocolate bar. As she opened it, Miss Dehault began to lecture her.

"I don't understand why y'all can't take me with you!"

"You know my mother. She thinks you're just some dime-a-dozen bimbo."

"Oh, come on! The mere fact that I'm blonde and have a breathy voice, full sensual lips, and a steaming hot body, doesn't make me a bimbo."

"Now look, you know I'd want you to tag along, but them's the rules."

"Man, this sucks! I wanted to meet my prince charming!"

"Prince, huh?"

"Or princess, I could go either way!"

"Honey, you'll go just about any way!"

"Well, as long as there's no cameras. I'm not that kind of girl."

The truth was, Cunégonde Kindrakewich had never particularly cared for politics; whenever her mother tried to instill some patriotic fervor into her through the time honored tradition of (albeit via conscription) having her shadow her during meetings, Cunégonde tended to fall asleep; to snore, to drool, to wake up groggily murmuring about some hottie (guy or girl, she played on both teams) she was just about to woohoo with, much to her mother's chagrin amidst the flustered dignitaries; thankfully, she was not permitted to oversee her mother's dealings with foreign representatives, such as the Garbanian ambassador.

Then there was Miss Dehault, whose idea of politics was that her best friend's mother was a really nasty old termagant.

"Well, what about Jarryd? Isn't he attending?"

"Not at all."

"What, does she hate him too?"

"Two words: prior committment."

"Oh. I was really pulling for you guys."

Cunegonde chuckled. She knew that Miss Dehault saw Jarryd as a rival for her affections, even though the troika had gone back years; in fact, the three went to the same schools, attended the same classes, ended up serving the same detention once their ideas of a good time included things like putting laxatives in the teacher's thermos.

"Well, if she didn't want me to do that, she'd have shown me a little more respect!" harumphed Miss Dehault.

"Yeah, you're lucky detention's all you got after that mess. Seriously, it was all..."

"Alright! I don't think I need to know all the details!"

"If you say so. It's just that seeing your teacher sobbing in pain in a bathroom stall isn't exactly easy to forget."

"Like I said!" Miss Dehault asserted, arms akimbo. "If she didn't want to get on my bad side, she would've treated me better! Don't mess with, like, the bull if you don't wanna get the horns, bitches!"

Miss Dehault gave her a big 'ol hug, then. There were tears at the corners of her eyes. "This really bites! We've always spent every summer together since we were little, and now you're running off to Aureumterra, and who knows what'll happen!"

"Relax, D. There's nothing to worry about. I'll probably just gravitate around the chocolate fondue stand like usual. Fill up on some good grub, make idle chit-chat with the local nobles, blah blah blah. Then I'll come back, and we should still have plenty of time to spend together."

Miss Dehault kissed her lovingly on the cheek, and fiddled with the necklace around her neck. "Well, you better text me regularly! I want updates! Give me all the juicy gossip, and don't skimp on any of the details! Send some footage if shit hits the fan, okay? We could totally end up with the next big viral meme, y'know!"

"Still posting on those imageboards, huh?"

"Hey, I practice proper opsec, y'know."

"Never said otherwise. Just make sure not to get too drunk or high before you end up trying to sharpie your tummy again. I'm not gonna be able to stop you this time."

"Yeah, yeah..."

"Anyways, I feel my phone vibrating. That's probably my mother itching to lecture me, as always. See you later?"

"Duh, squared."

And off Cunegonde left, leaving Miss Dehault to lament her friend's planned departure; but, also the potential hotties who'd be there at the gala, needing someone really, like, sexy and adorkable, y'know, like herself, to keep them company.

"I figure, being attractive and popular, that's what I'm good at," reflects Miss D with a wistful sigh. "Maybe it's not that important, but, you know, it's what I can do."

Lorraine was flipping through some reports in her personal study when she heard someone knocking on the door.

"Come in," Lorraine called, and in entered Cunegonde, sporting a beet red hickie on her neck, and lipstick on the collar of her blouse.

"A'ight, we up in this," she croons, faux-cockily.

"I see you had fun."

"Well, yeah," Cunegonde replied. "You know Dehault, I gotta console her when she gets all emotional."

"When isn't she emotional?"

"You sure she can't tag along, Mom? I promise I'll have her on her best behaviour."

"Absolutely not! You don't know what she's capable of."

"Mom, she's not a demon."

"But she is a slut."

"Yeah, and? So what? Mom, slut shaming is so last century."

"Knock it off. Look, she could cause a diplomatic incident, and then what? Hmm? How do I go tell the people of our country that some future trophy wife..."

"Mom, come on. Soyons raisonnables. You know she's too picky to begin with. Chances are, she'll probably just be with me stuffing our faces the entire time."

"The answer, I'm afraid, is no."

"Well, at least I tried. I owe her that much."

"Well, I never even said you could tag along."

"Why not? You really want to be all alone with a bunch of uppity tools who think too highly of themselves?"

Lorraine chuckled, but only a little. "Good point. Sometimes, I wonder how royals and nobles can even breathe, having their heads up their arses; practically since they were born."

"Yeah, it's best if you don't let them know you think that."

"I'm the President of Free Norfolk City, honey. I think I know my goddamn way around diplomacy."

"Well, we're all good at something, aren't we?"

"I suppose I can allow you to tag along, but you better be on your best behaviour."

Cunégonde shrugged, but before she could even respond, her mother went on.

"I mean it, young lady. This is possibly the biggest moment of my career here. If I put an end to this absurd, centuries old squabble, I'll not only practically be a shoe-in for reelection, but I'll etch myself into the goddamn history books!"

"Well, haven't you, already?"

"And that's why I told that future trophy wife you hang around with that she's not welcome. Knowing her, she'll try to hit up one of those pompous goofs and make us look like a bunch of idiots."

"I'm sure I could control her."

"I'm sure I didn't stutter."

"True, but she's my best friend, Mom. I wouldn't make a good one myself if I didn't put in the effort."

"Touche, but I'm not changing my mind. At least bring that boy with you, if you're so in need."

"I would, but he's currently preoccupied. Prior committment, I'm sure you understand."

"No matter. But you know, you shouldn't wait too long: if you don't strike while the iron's hot, he might end up going elsewhere."

"Mom," Cunégonde laughed boistrously, "You do realize we're not in love, right?"

"Really, now?"

"Well, yeah. We just hook up every now and then."

Lorraine sighed, rolling her eyes so hard that Cunégonde swore she heard 'em make some sorta noise. "Just make sure you follow all necessarily precautions, understood?"

"Obviously."

"Being smart will get you nowhere."

"If you say so."

The truth was, Lorraine didn't really mind Jarryd. He had always been a bit aloof, certainly, but compared to the guys that someone like Miss Dehault tended to accumulate, he was quite prim and proper. A real standout, he was born into an ethnic Garbanian family who had land and the occassional title but forsook both after aligning with the Norfolkites; they assimilated into the then-new republican society, and their blue blood was nowadays barely noticeable; well, unless you held to the one drop rule like they did in Shaiburg.

Alas, as it turned out, Jarryd was out of the country; he would've loved to tag along had he been able, but he told Cunegonde that he wouldn't return for quite a while.

"After all," he told her, "My old man got himself a promotion, and with it, me some new digs."

Even if it was only for a little while, Jarryd felt he ought to take advantage of the situation; with his father a newly minted ambassador, he figured he'd explore their host nation, taking great care to abide by laws and customs alike, albeit much to Cunegonde's chagrin, since risque texts couldn't replace the incredible warmth one feels when cuddling, or even spooning, with their lover. After all, who else could you bingewatch entire seasons of Mobile Home Girls with?

("Not that you're obligated to stick with me," she told him.

"Back at you." He replied.

"It's just that you're kinda my favorite."

"Like I said.")

Jarryd's parents didn't mind their relationship; after all, both voted for Lorraine from the get go, and both felt that Cunegonde was perfect daughter-in-law material. Plus, it would undoubtedly help with the family's own aspirations to further entrench itself within Norfolkite politics and the economy; they might have long forsaken their aristocratic heritage, but you can't quite take it out of 'em in full.

"Now then, what else?" continued Lorraine. "Oh, right; while Genny and I handle our hosts, I encourage you to mingle with the other guests, as long as you do so properly. No funny business: no pranks, no off color jokes, no pointed remarks. None of that shit, okay? Please, cooperate with me here, okay?"

Cunégonde sighed. "Mom, do you really think so little of me? I'm not Valaire, y'know."

"Jesus thunderin' Christ, kid, don't put that image in my head! That's the last thing I need! God, if he was at this gala...where is he, anyway?"

"Where else?"

Lorraine shook her head. Valaire was an utter louse, a total sleaze, the type of fella who'd spend all his time at one of these shindigs trying to get some. Thankfully, he had decided to spend his time chasing tail locally, instead.

"This reminds me," Lorraine said, then. "Don't go bringing home anything we didn't take with us, okay?"

"Oh, Mother..."

"Don't oh, Mother me!" Lorraine snapped, slamming her open palms on the desk as she rose hastily from her seat.

Cunégonde was unfazed by her mother's latest outburst, but kept silent, especially when her mother sat back down and mumbled an apology.

"I just don't want anything to mess this up."

"I know, Mom."

"And I don't want you to throw your life away on some chance encounter with some pompous twit who won't stick around."

"Well, it's just like Lilith said, right?"

Lorraine chuckled. "Good point, but my point still stands. I know how you roll, and you know that I'm fine with it, but you never know with these parasites. They will suck the life out of you if given the opportunity."

Her daughter just nodded along, knowing fully well that her mother didn't tend to mince words, especially about royals, nobles, the whole damn lot of what Norfolkites saw as obsolete, archaic holdovers from bygone (thankfully) times.

"I'm sure we'll be fine, Mom. You do your thing, I'll do mine."

Lorraine nodded approvingly. Somehow, something inside was telling her that it'd all be alright.

What's the worse that could happen?

They might not have opted for dresses, but both Kindrakewich women looked positively stunning (despite the light rain) regardless in their rustic, republican fashion; well, that's what the media called it, maintaining the centuries old insistence on separating Norfolkites from their ex-masters in Garbania, where powdered wigs and breeches were commonplace long after other monarchies forsook at least the former except for supreme court justices. The Garbanians had a lot of old habits that were seemingly impossible to break, but the Norfolkites relied on brute force; they scrapped any and all traces of monarchism, throwing what little they deemed preserving in a museum to placate the history buffs.

While Cunegonde sent a farewell selfie to her buds, Lorraine said farewell to her husband and other children; well, sans Valaire, who had yet to report from whatever hotel room bed he was in, this time around. Lorraine thanked her lucky stars that Valaire hadn't even heard of the gala at all; knowing him, he'd have ended up harassing the wrong maid and finding himself thrown out of the country, leaving the tabloids to print all sorts of slander about the Norfolkite people; you could never underestimate those bastards, Lorraine reasoned. She'd have banned the paparazzi outright had the supreme court not vetoed the idea, considering such bans to infringe on free speech. Despite the loss, the celebrity vote was all but assured, and that meant quite a few would mobilize their stans to vote for the "right choice" when election day was nigh.

Before boarding the plane, Lorraine told the assembled media reps, "I leave our fair city with one goal, and this is the same goal I have mentioned time and time again, that our territorial integrity is sacrosanct; when the Garbanians abandoned their Esvanovian colony, we took it upon ourselves to preserve peace and order, to ensure a future for children, to rectify the errors of the past. Garbania did not budge (a few snicker and chortle at this) and neither will we: Ogtogo is Norfolkite. It will always be Norfolkite. It will never cease to be Norfolkite. Be rest assured, people of Norfolk: this government is on your side. This government will always be on your side. When I took that oath at my inaguration, I meant every damn word of it: I will not stop until I have ensured the existence of our people and a future for our children, and to the people of Ogtogo, I say: froggug sederty bungo-bungo!"

Then, she turned to the stairs and began to walk up, but not before turning around to see her family waving at her, alongside numerous supporters carrying homemade signs and placards, including members of the Totecan diaspora. They were all here to see their beloved leader taking the first steps to finally putting an end to the sick, sad charade.

Raising her arms in a Nixonian style, Lorraine Kindrakewich basked one last time in their adoration as she said, "Ogtogo is Norfolkite now, Ogtogo is Norfolkite tomorrow, Ogtogo is Norfolkite forever!"

She boarded the plane, then, just barely missing Cunegonde hastily putting her phone aside and rebuttoning her blouse, and as she took her seat, she felt a rush of confidence fill her from head to toe.

Surely, the Aureumterrans would see reason.

If not?

Well, there's always those Sombrelanders who could be of some use.

As the plane flew away, it soared under the vague, but nevertheless dazzling, visage of a rainbow. Was it a good omen, or a trick played on an unsuspecting people?

There was someone who once said that the handyman's secret weapon was duct tape; of all things, duct tape!

Probably not the best option when it comes to politics, especially when it comes to one of these functions; luckily for the two Kindrakewich women, Gennice Alcendor, in charge of foreign affairs, was tagging alongside them: Lorraine had known Gennice practically her whole life; they were best friends, and Gennice was her oldest ally in the world of Norfolkite politics. They were so inseparable that Gennice was first among equals among all the women who attended Lorraine's wedding, and was the godmother to all her children; yes, even Valaire, who was all too happy to regale her with stories about his (supposed, anyway) exploits at home and abroad, like when he reputedly met Princess Lilith, the black sheep of Garbania's imperial family.

"That woman ain't right," Lorraine had said of her.

"But she's based, Mom." replied Cunegonde. "She's based as fuck."

"Based..." I keep hearing that word from your cousins. Everyone wants to be "based." What is it?"

"Being "based," Mom, is when you fall off a cliff, right? And you're hanging from a really weak, scrawny branch half-way down, and you see two tigers; one above, one below, but you laugh your ass off anyway."

"What the hell does that mean? Look, nevermind, we're about to enter the ballroom; now, remember what I told you."

"Yes, yes, Mom, I know..."

Cunegonde sighed as her mother and Gennice immediately went on the prowl to introduce themselves to their most gracious host; meanwhile, she decided that her stomach had waited long enough for sustenance, and she went to look for the nearest chocolate fondue stand; well, whatever was creamy and decadent enough, anyways.
Last edited by Free Norfolk City on Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates