NATION

PASSWORD

A Noble, Nuclear Game (IC/Closed)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Legatia
Minister

Founded: Nov 30, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

A Noble, Nuclear Game (IC/Closed)

Postby Legatia » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:43 pm

The year is 2016. Decades full of failure in economic advancements, famine, and discontent has driven the Democratic Republic of Karadanay to it's knees, the cruel axe of fate at it's neck, unhindered by anything. Starving, impoverished citizens have thrown down their rakes and picked up their rifles, and surged into the cracked and searing streets of the few cities of Karadanay. Civil war- and the end of the Karadanay state- is at hand, with radical factions already arming and preparing.

One factor, however, is that Karadanay possesses nuclear weapons.

With a rather large amount of somewhere around 20 nuclear weapons, Karadanay's destabilization may lead to rogues, paramilitaries, or even terrorist groups to acquiring these weapons. Mediation between the crumbling government and the people is impossible- and so, the eyes of the world are upon the small nation, as many move to act.

CVN-41 Vindicatum
15 miles offshore of Karadanay, near the city of Marencep

The sky was a plain blue, without a cloud in sight. The scrubland mountains surrounding the city contrasted with the overly modernized city, a forced facade of prosperity thrown ontop of a crumbling nation of poverty.

The steel-clad Vindicatum was the lead of Legatia's 6th Carrier Strike Group, accompanied by 2 Scopuligus class cruisers, Amber Hill and Ingall Strait, and 3 Fortitudo-class destroyers Tiberius Rufius, Titus Carbo, and Camilla Arcadia, one of 2 ships in the 44-ship Fortitudo class that bore the name of a woman. They were accompanied by Marine Expeditionary Legios IV and VI, who were aboard amphibious assault carriers and dock landing ships. The marines across the strike force numbered a rather large 14,000 men- a rather staggering force, fit for an invasion- but truly, this was nothing else.

As a Sea Peregrine fighter lands aboard the Vindicatum, helicopters spool up aboard the LSDs and LHDs accompanying the strike group, the Marines aboard them meticulously preparing their weaponry and gear for what was, likely, to become a drawn-out campaign. No war had been declared, nor had this been announced. "Strategic necessity" was the official term for this operation, and so "Operation Strategic Necessity" would become the popular name of the maneuver among the rank and file Imperial marines.

Operational planners had absolutely no desire to drive pure fear into the hearts of an already unstable populace by landing armed forces directly into the city, where incidents could escalate in an area that was not strategically important in the slightest. Instead, forces would land outside of the city with much less resistance, and occupy a smaller, nearby city. Any government forces, it was expected, would be powerless to retaliate, and this would allow Legatian forces the relatively short amount of time needed to set up within the city. A permanent garrison of around 150 men would remain at that area at all times, which was expected to be supported at all times by a cruiser, able to support ground forces with cruise missiles or precision fire from the 8-inch guns carried by it. The remainder of the force would systematically sweep through the country like a broom, securing strategic areas by force, and allowing for the capture of any nuclear devices, which would be loaded onto a destroyer- which, in secret, had a detachment of Praetorian guardsmen aboard them, who would safely deliver the weapon back to Legatia for it's destruction.

However, the capture of said nuclear weapons could not be accomplished until the steel ramps of the landing vehicles offloaded the Marines onto the beachhead, and that would begin now.

At 10:40 AM, the rear doors of the landing ships opened, and the tan-booted, tan-uniformed, and overencumbered marines flooded onto the beach in an orderly manner. Expecting absolutely no organized resistance, especially here, the Marines nevertheless landed their armored landing craft first, before the air-cushioned landing vehicles offloaded floods of marines, Taurus tanks, AFVs, and a sizable contingent of both mobile artillery and tank destroyers. Screened ahead by carrier-based craft and supplemented by contingents landing ahead via helicopter into the small town they were to occupy, the Marines would make their way up and off of the beach to make contact with the friendly forces in town.

However, the landing did not go as smoothly as expected.

As Legatian Caestus and Sea Challus helicopters descended into the small town of Bahramli, it did not take long for things to go off plan. A rocket was fired at a descending helicopter, which was forced to make evasive maneuvers to avoid it. Immediately after, the gunfire began.

Fastroping instead of landing properly, the rank and file Legatian soldiers quickly engaged in a form of combat more suited to special operations forces. The PIL-V rifles of the soldiers began to put down suppressive fire, as their helicopters bugged off. The Marines, originally intending to take the city from all angles, were in many cases forced out of it and made to concentrate their defensive efforts in a large house.

Fifteen minutes and 4 casualties later, near the entire first wave of 2,000 men swamped the small town. Easily outnumbering the militia, these men were easily able to overcome the non-unified, inferior militia group that was holding the town, even despite the fact that they were accompanied by attack helicopters, main battle tanks, and IFVs, of which the militia could not hope to defeat. Killed or driven to a man, the Legatian forces secured the town of Bahramli in a rather embarrassing show of unpreparedness, one that would likely not be repeated- 16 casualties, one was barely saved from the clutches of death, the others suffering bullet or shrapnel wounds.

With a proper beach-head and forward operating base secured, the Legatians were able to secure the airport that would be used as their primary base, as well as the only fully-fledged airport in the country able to accommodate international flights, and strategic airlifters such as the Legatian C-10 Titan, and one of the few remaining paved airstrips in the country. With this strategic assets, the so-called "Operation Strategic Necessity" could move forth.

Lupolska
Envoy

Founded: May 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Lupolska » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:16 pm

With the abdication of the Karadanish presidency, and the commencement of Legatian operations on their soil, it was clear that the collapse of the country had begun- the sovereignty of the country forfeited to a foreign power and to a number of non-state actors. With 20 nuclear warheads now unaccounted for, in a country less than 1500km from Luepolan shores, it took very little time to come to a consensus among the President's advisors and generals.

Shortly after midnight, at a trio of airbases in Northeastern Luepola, nearly a dozen cargo aircrafts' engines whined to life within minutes of eachother. Under the cover of darkness, ten Il-76 aircraft would rise into the darkness and carry two brigades of airborne troops and their vehicles into the northern regions of Karadanay. The aircraft would have to cross Valtanic airspace to reach the country - arrangements for this had already been secured via past treaties. The operation was to be labelled "Wire Cutter", or in the native language, "Операцiя Кусачкi". While Legatian forces had already secured the coastal and littoral areas, and were expected to move inland, the northern areas would take some time to reach- time during which nuclear devices could be smuggled out of the country and used against another state. In the Luepolan's eyes, it was up to them to ensure the northern routes were adequately severed- thus, "Wire Cutter".

As the aircraft neared the drop zone, the orange glow of pre-dawn twilight faintly illuminated the sky, while the aircraft were essentially invisible to the eyes of any ground observer. Within the aircraft, dim red lights illuminated the cabin, signalling the occupants to make their preparations for the drop. Paratroopers checked their rifles and gear, and armored crews boarded their vehicles.

As the planes crossed into the northern-central province of Karadanay, the rear doors opened on the aircraft. Jumpmasters assumed their positions at the hinge of each plane's exit ramp, signalling for each paratrooper to exit the plane, and grabbed their planes' PA microphones. "All forces, all forces. Assume jump positions and prepare to disembark. Estimated time to drop zone- two minutes."

The NCO of each company of troops then grabbed their walkie, repeating the battle plan to each of their companies. The plan was simple- sweep and clear the barren hills of any possible militant presence, and secure an in-country location from which the Luepolan Navy and Air Force could resupply them via helicopter and para-drops. The location itself was near the key Karadanish highway O-3, enabling the Luepolan airborne to very quickly cut off the most prominent of the access routes to the country.

As soon as each plane's crew was ready, the drop began. In double-file lines, the soldiers charged out of the aircraft into the softly-lit sky over the barren, sparsely-vegetated plains. As the soldiers fell towards the earth, their parachutes opened up, flowering one-by-one over each man's head. Following the paratroopers were the AFVs- with the tug from their drogue chutes, two BMD-1 and four BMD-2 vehicles slid from the Il-76 holds into the night sky, carrying above them a new bouquet of parachutes which had opened post-release to slow the tanks' descents.
Last edited by Lupolska on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
praise kek

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014

Postby Insaeldor » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:10 pm

CM Sigúlfer Sægiersen, Head of His Royal Majesties Governing Coalition in the Royal Council of Commons

"We can not allow such volitial matterial simply exist in political limbo as a civil war rages on. Up to 20 nuclear warheads are still stationed in the Democratic Republic of Karadanay, we don't know the politics of these rebel groups which have sprung up in the recent time since the collapse of the government. Radicals, Communist, Ultra-Nationalists could get their hands on these weapons of mass destruction and use the to their whim. Even if political radicals didn't get their hand of these weapons of absolute horror there would still be the possibility of amoral black marketeers selling these to the highest bidder. The possibility of putting the Insaeldic people in harms way is simply unacceptable and I can. I stand here today to warn you of the great disaster that awaites us all if we fail to act on the evidence given here today, it will be us who the school children of the future will call naïve and narrow sighted. I know many of you here have warned about the threats of nuclear proliferation, yet you've all ready said you'd vote to stay out of the conflict, To say you are something and then refuse to live it is dishonest especially regarding something so destructive, It is unpatriotic of us to simply stand by and allow such things to..."

"It's unpatriotic to send young boys to die in wars that don't concern them!" An older baritone voice erupted from the back benches of the Councils Seats. It was the distinctive voice of Knut Eldjárn, known around the nation for his anti-war efforts ever since the war in Onyeso. But I knew him as the biggest thorn in my ass I'd met it my 20 years of public administration. Every move I'd make, every sentence I'd utter, he'd be there to come Byrd with his utopianistic idealism fit for the political understanding of an infant. He was standing in a sea of seated people, people who had common decency and respect. I started him down and credo need to his claims.

"It's unpatriotic to put our citizenry at danger over detached and unrealistic idealism. I mean no disrespect Mr. Eldjárn but you've sat perched upon your high town for decades. You have no concept of patriotism nor the sacrifices need to preserve our countries integrity." I said with a deep seeded fire starting to bellow out in my tone.

"You're just a fear monger, a demagogue who hides this thirst far war behind the poor who have no choice but to serve!" He fired back with the same level of intensity I had thrown at him.

"This is not a war, this is a police action! Now I suggest you follow council protocol and sit down! You'll have your turn to retort in a moment..." I yelled, my face red with intense anger at the disrespect and childish nature of this man, a man who started his career protesting against the state as a college student over the Onyesi War. He was nothing but a professional complainer and someone who's tricked his constituents into believing his unfounded political filth. While I fought a thankless war he sat up in his college dorm, while I trekked through mud and filth he sat cozy a comfortable while his professors encouraged his degeneracy. While I watched savage communist dogs kill my friends and comerades he denounced they as war criminals akin to the Vierz of WWII. Now as the man in power here would I really give him a platform to speak his mind?

"Now I believe we have finished the needed amount of time to debate the issue. I call for a vote on weather to press the vote on the Confirmation Measure for Military Action in Karadanay. All in Favore say Aye"

"Aye"

"All who oppose say Nay"

"Nay"

"It is official, Voting on the Confirmation Measure for Military Action in Karadanay will commence once all 210 members of the Council have been given there secrete ballots." The sounds of clapped g almost masked the prevalent jeers from the opposition. They knew what I had done, and quite frankly I cared little for there opinion on the matter.

Council of Commons votes in favor of intervention in the Karadanaian Civil War
Council head of HRM government Sigúlfer Sægiersen, Architect of the Intervention efforts.

Today after what some have called one of the most contentious Council debate sessions since the Act of war against the Emirate of Zanjan the Council of Commons have again voted to intervene in a foreign conflict. The Council has voted 107 to 103 in favor of military intervention in the Democratic Republic of Kasadanay. The country which has recently come into conflict with itself after the collapse of both government and economic institutions is a known holder of nuclear weapons.

Supporters of intervention say it is to help current Legatian and Luepolan efforts to clear out the nuclear arsenal of the country so that they do not end up in the hands of extremist elements. While they do support intervention in favor of a grand coalition to halt nuclear proliferation they are divided on how to go about it. Some like Defense Minister Kjell Frjabórg have said that a more Naval and Arial focus is best with limited special forces involvement in the ground. Other like Council Head of His Royal Majesties Government Sigúlfer Sægiersen have supported a more land based approach to intervention is preferred.

Opponents have said involvement in the conflict will only escalate the situation further. They've pointed out Insaeldors current long term engagement in Zanjan and have said that it be to difficult to allocate needed recourses and funds to both military campaigns. Other have said the Legatia and Luepola who all have official involvement in the conflict should be tasked with the extraction of nuclear arms from the country.

Prime Minister Asmund Jakobsen, Defense Minister Kjell Frjabórg, and King Æsgar X will start to discuss how to execute the measure of military involvement. This marks the first time since World War Two when Insaeldic military forces have been engaged in armed conflict on two separate continents.

King Æsgar X
Kónunglegúrfjäll Castle
Fjällbórg, Insaeldor

"So, Sigúlfer finally got what he wanted." I said softly as I looked over the bright spring that engulfed the old quarter. I stood on a observatory ledge, in the times of my ancestors this would be used to do enemy armies on the horizon. Now it was a nice and tranquil place to discuss policy were the publics eyes could be kept at bay.

"Can't tell if the guys a political genius or a sociopath." Prime Minister Jakobsen said with a soft smile, his dimples giving away slight amusement at the whole thing.

"Call him what you'd like, He's successfully lobbied the legislature to war twice. Maybe the first time was him tapping into the anger and frustration if a populace that was under attack, but this time I have to say this was all his doing." Commented General Frjabórg as he sipped on a small glass of heavy Öl.

"Well there's no stopping it now, we need to simply comply and curtail Sigúlfers ambitions. Where in Zanjan to topple and destroy a terrorist state and flush out the radical elements that still cling to live in that god forsaken desert. But to me Kasadanay is of no concern of ours." I responded back. We all knew it was a bad idea to meddle in affairs that did not concern us, but at this moment our hands were tied.

"Then why not just ignor the nasty little midge? Tell him to go take a long walk off a short peir and have nothing to do with the conflict." Asked General Frjabórg with an almost childish curiosity. His mind set as a military man really didn't suit him for domestic life.

"It's not that simple Kjell. I'm bound by the forces of democracy. My title as king only hold so much power, truefully the majority of my power simply comes from respect my title grants me. My true political powers are few and far between. I'm bound to follow the results of this democratic turnout." I told him, just as I have done so many times in the past to many other political figures.

"Well if we can't avoid his ambitions we might as well make the most out of them. After all, don't ever give up a good crisis." Jakobsen said, the rest of us nodded and got to work getting the basic framework of the plan in action.

"So General Frjabórg, what naval assets do we have at our disposal for this mission?"

"My king, we currently have the 2nd Carrier Strike Group helmed by RIV Böðvarr, a Sigríth Class Nuclear Powered Fleet Carrier. The formation also holds several Missile Destoryers, Frigets, Convoys, Mine Sweepers, and Submarines. Currently she is the closest naval formation that we can send to the region."

"What about Land Forces?"

"My suggestion is limited land involvement, for this I'd suggest sending in the 345th Airborne Infantry Regiment to help assist Legation and Luepolan efforts on the ground. The force is capable of arial deployment and has just returned from a mission in Zanjan so they are currently one of our only special operations unite we have on hand. For an understanding of there capability my King a Company of troops from this Regiment held the Dzhafarabad Dam in Zanjan from continuous enemy asssults for three days while Insaeldic regular forces moved into secure the Dam. I believe these men will be more than capable of handling the situation placed before them."

"Very good. Okay General Frjabórg your free to go, I want you to be able to plan out our involvement without political interfirance. After all politics got you into this mess." I said as I turned to Jakobsen.

"You know, you've got a lot riding on the success of this operation." I told him.

"Me? Would the blame go on Sigúlfer if this thing fell apart?" He asked clearly puzzled.

"In a perfect world yes, but people are short sighted. In this day and age people simply look at the barriers rather than the gears. People now a days can't be bothered to look at something closely. We're talking about a generation that throws out perfectly good stuff over the simplist malfunction. The people couldn't be bothered to look at the architect of a hypothetical failed excursion, it's much easier to blame the guy at top and throw everything away. So if Sigúlfers ambitions of a string insaeldic world presence fails you'll be the political scapegoat." I told him, partially letting him know the true thing about his position and partially me ranting about something that hand been on my mind for awhile. He simply laughter a little in response probably all to aware of the threat that faced our political system if this were to be a failure.

"Lets head back down stairs Asmund, you have to write an intricate bold face lie to televise to the people on how this act is just and noble." I told him as I put my hand in his back and we walked down the stairs together to prepare ourselves for the political. Ightmare that was to follow.
Last edited by Insaeldor on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Aestralius
Political Columnist

Founded: May 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aestralius » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:37 am

Commander John Bernardi
Briefing Room, Gallipoli Barracks
Bolwarra, Aestralius

Just over twenty top brass of the Confederate States of Aestralius Defence Force were gathered in their main headquarters, Gallipoli Barracks, which was named for the battle of the same name, where Aestralian and Karadanish forces had engaged in a brutal and costly battle, one of the first engagements on foreign soil of the AIF. They were here to discuss the situation which was rapidly deteriorating in Karadanay, involving twenty unaccounted-for WMDs and a vast multicolour patchwork of rebels ranging from semi-friendly, hostile, to plain barbaric.

As Aestralius was a member of the the Western Defence Coalition alongside Legatia, a certain degree of military support was expected. Thus, the CSADF was planning for the initiation of "Operation: Flaming Baptist", which would involve the deployment of a number of Aestralian military assets, include air forces, naval forces, and ground forces to Karadanay in support of Legatia.

Most of the Minutia had already been sorted out, now Chief of Staff Corey Becker was listening on his bluetooth headset, the rest of the group was quiet, waiting for the approval of the Congress. He took the headset off and looked around the table.

"Baptist has been greenlit," he said.

"I'll organize the task force, they will be ready for transport in a few days," Bernardi said. "SCAR should be ready to move by tomorrow morning,"

"Very good, make it so, Commander," said the Chief of Staff.

The ground forces for Flaming Baptist would be the 5th Brigade of the AIF, the 5th Brigade was comprised of:

• 6th/1st Battalion, 6th Confederate Aestralian Regiment (1.Bn, 6CAR) (Mechanized Infantry Battalion, 800 Infantry, 20 ASPIT-3 APCs, 60 ASPIT-2 IFVs)
  • 6th/2nd Battalion, 6th Confederate Aestralian Regiment (2.Bn, 6CAR) (Mechanized Infantry Battalion, 800 Infantry, 20 ASPIT-3 APCs, 60 ASPIT-2 IFVs)
  • 6th/3rd Battalion, 6th Confederate Aestralian Regiment (3.Bn, 6CAR) (Mechanized Infantry Battalion, 800 Infantry, 20 ASPIT-3 APCs, 60 ASPIT-2 IFVs)
  • 3rd Confederate Armoured Cavalry Regiment (3CACR) (Armoured Regiment, 1000 Infantry, 120 Leopard AS1 Mk7 MBTs, 20 Challenger AS2 Mk 2 MBTs)
  • 12th Confederate Aestralian Engineer Regiment (12CAER) (Engineering Regiment)
  • 9th Combat Support Regiment (9CSR) (Support Regiment)
  • 3rd Confederate Aestralian Lancer Regiment (3CALR) (Light Cavalry/Recon Regiment, 500 Infantry, 400 Support Recon Vehicles

The Air Forces would involve the No. 18 Wing of the Confederate Aestralian Air Force, which was comprised of:

• No. 5 Squadron, 18 SF-97 Mk 3 "Barghest" Multiroles
  • No. 7 Squadron, 18 SF-97 Mk 3 "Barghest" Multiroles
  • No. 12 Squadron, 18 SF-97 Mk 3 "Barghest" Multiroles
  • No. 17 Squadron, 18 C-70 Mk 2 "Corinthian" Transport
  • No. 30 Squadron, 12 AC-70 Mk1 "Spartan" Close Air Support Gunship

The naval forces would be limited. Task Force Gallipoli, would include.

• 6 Bolwarra-class Guided Missile Frigates
  • 9 Redwoods-class Destroyers
  • 2 Paterson-class Landing Helicopter Dock/Assault Ship
  • 1 Norstrond-class Aircraft Carrier

Last edited by Aestralius on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 9 times in total.
THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF AESTRALIUS

This nation sort of represents my real views.
Pro: Gun Rights, National Sovereignty, Meritocracy, Democracy, Freedom, Equality of Opportunity, Capitalism, United States, Russia.
Anti: Islam, Mass Immigration, Socialism, Identity Politics, "Anti-Discrimination" diversity quotas and affirmative action, Forced Equality of outcome, Globalism.
Neutral: Christianity, Europe, Monarchy, Limited Immigration.
ISideWith
Political Compass

Legatia
Minister

Postby Legatia » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:04 pm

Legatian Imperial Navy
Scopuligus-class cruiser CG-114 Amber Hill
0127 Hours

It had been near four days since the 6th Carrier Strike Group had dispatched the Marine landing force. Almost immediately after the reports of the landing, news and tactical updates delivered to force commanders relayed the presence of Luepolan airborne infantry in the northern sector. Such a force was a welcome sight, and Luepolan high command had been notified by Duces command that they would be seeing great cooperation- including Legatian resupply drops- under the condition that all nuclear devices were immediately reported as they were found and secured. The hope was that these devices would be turned over to Legatia, so they can be disarmed and destroyed.

The Aestralian forces, who enjoyed a military alliance with Legatia, would also be joining the ground offensive. This would provide a strong front to work from, and the united forces could easily sweep and clear the troubled nation, and perhaps, hoped the insignificant and liberal Legatian politicians, stay and rebuild the nation.

But rebuilding was a long time away.

The moonlight reflected onto the water and onto the grey hull of the Amber Hill, who stood vigil in the seas near the base. Idly sitting in the water, her ever watchful arrays ensured the longevity of the near 6,000 Marines now on-shore. Such arrays were the pinnacle of engineering, the pride of the Navy, and a cornerstone in a defensive system.

"Trierarch, we're detecting a heat signature from near inland.." One of the deck officers aboard the Amber Hill looked at his screen, and a map of Karadanay. "..Sir, these readings are matching up with signatures of TBMs.."

Almost immediately after, alarms went off on the ship, as the officers went into a near panic. "Sir, COISRU and ground assets are both reporting a single missile launch near our position- telemetry and trajectory predictions place it on our cluster."

The Trierarch looked to the land, the very faint dim of the missile just visible through binoculars. "This is confirmed?"

"Sir, we have confirmation. This is a possible nuclear launch."

Sirens blared on the Amber Hill, it's Testudo CIWS groaning as it shifted to track the distant target, the shipside anti-missile batteries aligning with the tracked missile.

"Send out an AIM-4 immediately! Warn the fleet, fire as soon as ready!" The Trierarch yelled, another siren yet sounding as the front deck was cleared, as the Legatian ships sprang into action, defensive weaponry activating across the fleet.

"Target selection complete, lock on target.Triangulation, heat and radar lock are good!"
"Fire one!"
"Aye aye, sir, firing one!"
The hatch of a single forward cell on the Hill opened, and out of it shot an AIM-4 missile. The high-thrust engine on the missile completely deafened even the protected bridge, as the red-hot interceptor shot into the sky at already near 2 miles per second. The Marines on the shore and the combat journalist- who later proved to be an incredibly good photographer- all caught this event.

"Good range, good intercept distance. Expected interception in twenty seconds." The clock ticked. If the AIM-4 failed, the Amber Hill would have to resort to it's CIWS and defensive guided missiles, which were intended for aircraft and anti-ship missiles- the latter of which would be an incredibly tight gamble. And if that failed, nuclear fire would soon bathe Karadanay from Imperial SLBMs.

The seconds dragged on for what seemed like hours, until a bright flash and a quiet "pop" signified that the missile had did it's job. The entire fleet let out a collective sigh of relief, but they knew that their work was not done yet.

"CIC, fire mission four. Cluster munitions on wherever that missile launched. COISRU confirmation on that launcher."
"Aye, sir." And soon after, 4 pods on the Amber Hill opened, sending a more aggressive mission.

BREAKING NEWS:
NUCLEAR WEAPON LAUNCHED AT LEGATIAN FLEET

Legatian public still in shock, DEFCON 2 declared

LNS cruiser CG-114 Amber Hill launches an AIM-4 anti-ballistic missile to destroy
the missile sent at it. The presence of nuclear weapons in the destabilized Karadanay has shocked
world governments, and has compelled many to action.

With the Karadanian government in near collapse, Legatia was among the first to respond to the destabilized, nuclear-armed country with a strong fleet and ground forces. A foothold was gained in hours, and forces have already begun combing through the scrub-brush flatlands for weapons of mass destruction. An estimated twenty are at stake.

That count reduced to nineteen tonight, as Imperial officials have confirmed with media sources that a short-range tactical nuclear missile was launched at Legatian naval forces at approximately 1:30 in the morning, local time. The cruiser LNS Amber Hill was the first to detect the missile, alerting the fleet before launching an interceptor missile that successfully intercepted and destroyed the inbound missile.

"We are, as of this time, unsure of who the operators of this weapon are and what their motives are. But as long as nuclear weapons remain in Karadanay, Legatia will remain. Our objective is to remove these potentially dangerous weapons from the hands of those that could abuse them." A public correspondent from the Imperial Navy said in an interview.

The use of this weapon highlights the dangerous issues in the collapsing Karadanian country- a land rife with poverty and dissent, and whose collapsing government is leaving radical groups free to operate in what has been deemed an "anarchic wasteland", by many sources.

The Legatian public, in response to this issue, have taken to social media outlets, demanding for formal war with Karadanay and the immediate capitulation of their shambling government. Imperial officials have yet to comment on this, but many are expecting an incredible demonstration of strength.

More on this story as it develops.

In other news
Insaeldor, Aestralius to assist in Karadanay effort
14 Reasons why Vierz is the Worst Country in the World
Battleship Coriolanus to remove aging nuclear shells for decommission
Legatian man drowns in wine vat

* comments

REPLY · UPVOTE · DOWNVOTE

Legionary441 · 3 hours ago
Holy fucking shit.

620 up · 570 down

k4ppa · 1 hour ago
when ur a paramilitary trying to create a new government and you nuke a military power

2 up · 5,400 down

Phetome 43 minutes ago
These guys are going to get fucked over so bad.

500 up · 8 down

Aquilifier1 · 2 hours ago
My prayers to these paramilitaries. The Imperial Armed Forces are going to tear them four new asses.

193 up · 27 down

© Legatia Today, 2016
Last edited by Legatia on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aestralius
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Aestralius » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:34 am

Captain Stuart Perry
D. Coy, 6CAR
Bolwarra Harbour, Aestralius

The Captain of Dwarven Company, 3rd Battalion, 6th Regiment, Stuart Perry, looked out over this men arrayed before him. 110 men of D Company stood to attention, the backdrop of the CSS Paterson behind them, troops from the rest of the Brigade loaded onto the Paterson and it's sister ship, the CSS Trondheim. As Crown Company finished loading aboard, Perry gave the order and his men began to load as well.

The room for the rank and file were housed in vast forests of bunks, like a giant floating barracks, they spent their time alternating between the two large recreation rooms and the massive mess hall. The Officers like Perry enjoyed greater comforts, in small 2x3m rooms, with a bed, small closet and a table. When first seeing his home away from home, Stuart wasn't too impressed, but he was very glad he didnt need to share bunks with his infantry. He threw his pack on the bed, and laid out some papers on his table, placing his Laptop down there as well.

The trip would take a couple of weeks, his housings were comfortable enough. Now its just time to wait.

The Paterson and Trondheim sail out of Bolwarra Harbour

Flight Sergeant John Andrews
The CSS Norstrond
Off the coast of Karadanay

The CSS Norstrond, and it's escort, two Bolwarra-class Frigates and three Redwoods-class Destroyers, had arrived off the Karadanish coast with it's payload. The only aircraft carrier in the Aestralian arsenal, the Norstrond was frankly fairly outdated compared to many modern CVs, but it has received steady upgrades throughout it's 50-year service, keeping it a relevant force capable of holding up to 60 aircraft at once. Currently it held the No. 5, No. 7 and No. 12 Squadrons, for a total of 54 SF-97 Mk3 "Barghest" Multirole Fighters.

Andrews sat in his Barghest on the deck now, his wingman ahead of him was thrown forwards by the Catapult on board, soaring up into the sky, Andrews taxied forwards, as the deck crew attached the catapult to his front landing gear. The deck crew stood away and the flag went down, and Andrews lurched forwards as well, his engines roaring as he took off into the sky, climbing rapidly.

He reached cruising altitude alongside his wingman. They flew towards Karadanay, towards the beachhead which Legatian forces had established. Multiple military bases, insurgent strongholds, and villages were infested with the motley assortment of Karadanish ne'er-do-wells. Legatian UAVs picked up some targets, and certain strike missions would be passed on to the Confederate Aestralian Air Force to fulfill.

Their target this time was an insurgent compound, believed to belong to a radical islamist terror cell. At least twenty or more insurgents were expected to be in the compound's main yard at any given time, all entrances guarded by Kalashnikov-waving fanatics, the main compound then full of an unknown number of terrorists, but was estimated to be as high as forty.

"Shark Five-Niner, three clicks from target, prepare to loose ordnance, over." Andrews said over radio.

As they approached, a ZSU-23-2 mounted on a truck opened fire on them, wildly inaccurate, the stationary flak gun barely scratched the Barghests. They each loosed their four 500kg bombs and quickly pulled away, a heat-seeking missile streaked up from the compound before the bombs detonated, Andrews deployed his IR flares and attempted to evade it, the missile barely missed them, while 23mm flak shells continued to rain around them, one eventually striking his wingman's Bargheist, then a couple more.

Black smoke poured out of the fuselage, "Shark Five-Eight, Shark Five-Eight, I'm hit, losing fuel rapidly, I can see a clearing, I'm going to try set her down, expected to go down at grid reference 37.89° N, 41.12° E." He heard over the radio.

The CSS Nordstrond replied quickly, "A SCAR team will be dispatched to that location, hold tight Flight Sergeant."

An SF-97 Mk3 "Barghest" looses a series of cluster bombs on an insurgent camp

Captain Grover Jackson
18th Squad, Manticore Company, Special Confederate Aestralian Regiment (18 M.Coy, SCAR)
CSS Nordstrond

A Stealth-modified Blackhawk waited on the deck of the Nordstrond, her engine idling. Grover Jackson led his squad of 12 into the helicopter, the SCAR squads were the best Aestralius had to offer, a gruelling trailing weeded out the weak from the strong, the boys from the men. As the last of their squadmates loaded into the chopper, the engine roared and the blades picked up speed, it rose from the deck and started to fly towards Karadanay, towards the pilot who had been shot down by militants. The fate that befell anyone who fell captive to Islamic extremists was worse than death.

SCAR wielded the AR-3 Mk2 rifles, advanced bullpup rifles capable of sustained fire over long range, with a very high velocity 5.2mm cartridge with lower recoil than other rifles in it's class. More important than their weapons was the training of the SCAR teams. At minimum, two years of backbreaking training forged these men into the toughest that Aestralius had to offer.

Jackson saw the Karadanish coast reveal itself, they were nearing the point where the pilot went down. The stealth modification of the blackhawk had an almost negligible infrared signature, their radar signature was also decreased. Any militant forces in the area would be unlikely to notice or target the SCAR Blackhawk.

They spotted the burning wreck of the SF-97 Mk 3 in the distance. The Blackhawk set down by it, the pilot was nowhere in sight. Where he was, it was difficult to tell. Footprints had been struck away by the changing winds shifting the sand constantly.

"Shark Five-Eight, requesting location, repeat, requesting location of Shark Five-Eight." Captain Jackson said into the radio as his men disembarked the Blackhawk.

A few moments later, the radio crackled to life, a man with a thick Karadanish accent. "If you wish to see your pilot alive... Leave this place, now."
Last edited by Aestralius on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

Pro: Gun Rights, National Sovereignty, Meritocracy, Democracy, Freedom, Equality of Opportunity, Capitalism, United States, Russia.
Anti: Islam, Mass Immigration, Socialism, Identity Politics, "Anti-Discrimination" diversity quotas and affirmative action, Forced Equality of outcome, Globalism.
ISideWith
Political Compass

Chalcia
Secretary

Founded: Mar 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Chalcia » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:55 am

Chalcian airspace
Over the Macharian Sea
342nd Fighter-Bomber Squadron "Velos", 106th Combat Wing

Velos 1-1 and 1-2 flying over the Macharian Sea.

The four F-16C Block 50s of the 342nd Fighter Bomber Squadron, callsigns Velos 1-1 through 1-4, flew at roughly 2,000 metres above the Macharian Sea. The trademark "Macharian Ghost" camouflage of the Chalcian fighters blended perfectly with the endless blue sea bellow. The four aircraft flew in two pairs, with each pair no more than 600 metres apart from each other. Flight Velos 1 wasn't the only flight taking part in these early stages of the Chalcian military effort in Democratic Republic of Karadanay. The two remaining flights of the 342nd were also in the air in other parts of the front. The 342nd was solely tasked with Wild Wiesel (SEAD) missions for now, and each of the Fighting Falcons were carrying four AGM-88 HARM anti-radiation missiles under the fuselage, alongside two AIM-9X and two AIM-120C AMRAAMs Sidewinders on the wing tips for self-defence.

Along the 342nd, the F-4E PI2000 Phantoms of the 345th Fighter-Bomber Squadron "Bow", and the F-16C/D Block 52+ fighters of the 346th and 347th Fighter-Bomber Squadrons "Olympus" and "Danaos", were taking part in the operation, the former in SEAD roles, and the latter two in aerial superiority and interception tasks. The entire aerial part of the operation was supported by two Embraer EMB 145 AEW&C aircraft, while an EC-130 electronic warfare aircraft was providing ECM coverage in a wide area. Chalcian and other friendly air assets in the are of operations were provided with long-range anti-aircraft support by the dreaded S-300PMU-1s of the 67th and 68th Guided Missile Squadrons, based on the islands of Meganisi and Feres, while the 283rd Search and Rescue Squadron "Faethon" was on constant stand by, in case friendly pilots were shot down and needed recovery.

Flight Lieutenant Vasilis Mikronis, callsign Velos 1-1, run another quick check of his F-16's flight instruments. He checked his left to see Velos 1-2, flown by Pilot Officer Andreas Theoharis, and make sure that it was maintaining the tight formation. This was the first combat mission of the Chalcian Air Force and to some extend, the first serious combat mission of the Chalcian Armed Forces, in recent years, and Mikronis wanted to make sure that it was executed perfectly. And it wasn't only that. They were dealing with not just a long-time enemy of the Chalcian Republic, but also an unstable state that possessed weapons of mass destruction. Missions such as these would decide the outcome of the entire war effort. They had to be carried out without even the most minor mistakes.

"This is Velos 1-1 to all Velos 1 aircraft" Mikronis said on the comms "we are approaching target area. Breaking formation in in 3, 2, 1" he said and steered his aircraft to the right, while Velos 1-2 followed him at a slower pace. The aircraft were now equally spread out, around 1,000 metres away from each other. This would provide coverage for a wider area.

"Velos 1-1 to all Velos 1 aircraft" he called on the comms again "Master arms on, i repeat master arms on. Fire at will, over" he said as he flipped off the safety and activated his SEAD missiles.

"Copy"

"Copy"

"Roger that"

He received confirmation reports from all his flight mates that they have armed their AGM-88 HARM missiles. The flight continued flying on their standard course, the SEAD missiles constantly searching the area bellow for targets. As they flew at Mach 1.1, the coast of Karadanay had slowly began appearing on the horizon. The green, mediterranean coast of the country contrasted the interior, that was mostly barren, with large deserts and a middle eastern climate.

"This is Velos 1-2" Pilot Officer Theoharis' voice cracked on the comms "I got a lock on. High transmissions, probably a Goa. Firing, over"

Mikronis could see the trail of the missile leaving the F-16C Block 50, and heading towards its target. Shortly after, he himself had a lock on, and released a HARM shortly after he reported it to the rest of the flight. More lock on reports sounded through comms, and multiple more missiles were being launched. It had officially started, the first Chalcian shots in the war against Karadanay.
Last edited by Chalcia on Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
This is an alt/secondary account of Stasnov

Legatia
Minister

Postby Legatia » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:46 pm

Senate of Legatia
Curia Aemilianus
464th Senate

The motley of Senators, dressed plainly in blues, blacks, greys and browns, sat assembled in a quorum before the two Consuls, who had recently been elected this August, and the Imperator Ecaedus, who sat in a stoic silence. An absolute flood of press and media attention had gathered to document the proceedings that would mark history- the first openly declared state of war since the second Great War, well before Lance Ecaedus' rise to power.

"Senators, a quorum has been accounted for." Praetorians, who bore red cloaks and plumes signifying Senatorial guard duties, shut the doors, the clank of the heavy oak echoing in the enclosed chamber.

"We are assembled here to vote on a resolution to declare war upon the Democratic Republic of Karadanay. Senator Paulinus of Centralis has requested ius praecedentiae on the subject, and will be followed by Senator Peregrina of Coriolanus." The Junior Consul, Titus Appius Fulmentius, announced, taking a seat once more as a grey-suited, fiery young man- a leading member of the National Civic Party, gave a swoop of his arm to the room.

"Senators, Consuls, Imperator.. I speak today not as a politician but as a Legatian, and not on the behalf of my party, but on the behalf of Legatia." The Imperator sat in his seat, shifting just slightly, giving note to the fire that this young man exhibited. These were the men that Legatia had lacked when he took power, but it raised worries for how his daughter would cope with the responsibility of beating down overarcing politicians once she took power, after he died.

"I will start with quite the obvious. The Kardanian government was not responsible for the attack upon our naval forces. To a textbook definition, it was a terrorist attack- performed by reactionary extremists, with an intent of striking fear and disruption. But we also must not forget the fact that military-grade hardware was used, and that warhead was nuclear. If that had detonated, thousands of lives would have perished. The simple fact that that incident occurred is a grave negligence to the responsibilities of a state." A quiet chorus of assent echoed in the marble halls of the Curia, the Imperator resting in his seat.

"Senators- nay, Legatians, we must not stand for this. Any government unable to control this sort of action has no place governing. Nuclear warheads do not belong in third world countries, they do not belong in the hands of splinter cells. They belong in the hands of those who know their capabilities." Paulinus went on, gesticulating as he spoke with his powerful voice.

"The Karadanian government's failure to act is a failure in the security of citizens in the region- Luepola, Valtania, and others lie at risk. We cannot tolerate this. We have already deployed forces on peacekeeping missions, and they have seen no cooperation from any Karadanian governmental entity, which shows said government has no interest in the operation of it's own nation. This cannot be allowed!" An approving round went around him, in the austere manner of Senatorial proceedings, though an undertone of excitement, even among the liberal Social Party- though the primarily old and very young scoffed at such notions.

"Legatians! We cannot tolerate such negligence, such barbarism! I move that this body immediately votes to declare war on the Karadanian government and remove it from power!" The body broke it's silence to match the spirit of the young Paulinus, in a roar of assent. The minority of Social senators simply sat and scoffed,as about eighty percent of the body was in support, and as so, they were hopelessly outnumbered in a vote.

The discussions in the Senate proceeded for the next two hours. Peregrina's was lackluster, as was the desperate attempt by the more energetic Socials to keep Legatia from further delving into a conflict. But their efforts were in vain, and the Senate voted in an overwhelming margin of 493-77.

"The motion passes." Senior Consul Fulminius declared. "We will now hear the decision of the Imperator." Lance Ecaedus stood up, the room falling to silence as the man took the podium, the red and gold banner behind him fitting well with his signature muscled armor, a relic of old times, yet a symbol of strength.

"Senators of all leanings, Legatians of all walks, citizens of all nations. It is my opinion that war is not.. a wanted option in this course we as a nation wish to take. But in times of strife, hard decisions must be made, decisions that involve lives. I pray that if any of you ever come to hold such awful power that with a swoop of your hand you may decide the fate of that which you control, you will take heed of what you may do. If you push a log off from a cliff to clear a road, you may well clear a road, or you may, as well, see that log harm those below." He took pause, examining the room with careful, discerning eyes, over the rows of Senators. "It is my burden today, my hand. And my hand says yes." Despite the solemn mood set by the Imperator, the hall erupted in cheers, and the media set out to spread the news.

Legatian Imperial Marines
0724 Hours
Marencep International Airport- Legatian forward operating base

Over the past few weeks, the militarized airport had truly come to fruition. Legatian forces knew they would be here for a long enough time, and permanent emplacements in the forms of proper buildings, advanced anti-air systems including the Testudo C/RAMS system, and hardened aircraft shelters had been installed. 8,000 Marines were now onshore, and thankfully, far enough away from Marencep to avoid radical groups attacking, yet close enough to manage it.

Tribunus Aulus Urbanus paced the rounds of the base, the military veteran in command on the ground. Being the senior of the two commanding Tribunes of the Marines, the operation was entrusted to him. The Marines under his command were mostly green, having taken part in only exercises, but he was blessed with a sprinkling of battle-tried officers and enlistedmen, the latter of which was diminishingly few.

Stepping into the large hangar which was being used as an auditorium, he knew what these men were here for. About 320 men were assembled here- Cohorts I, IV, and X from his own Expeditionary Legion IV. They sat in their combat shirts and fatigues, lacking their full combat uniform.

"Gentlemen, I know you know why you're here. Let's not waste your time." The man, with his stainless steel aviators, remarked to the Marines, who gave him a general nod and assent.

"It's war. You all know that. But what you don't know that this isn't war. War lasts, war is when you fight against a worthy enemy, this is not."
"You are not expected to face steep resistance- the civilians hate their government, they will love the people who get rid of it. That means you will have women on you from here to Kansamo." A disorganized cheer went up on the bleachers, quickly silencing itself in respect.
"But let's get down to business. If you lot don't stick your heads up your asses, you'll pull through just fine. Their government has already vacated in the most. Your objective is to secure the governmental district, and detain any remaining members of the Karadanian government. Do not fire unless you absolutely have to." Pointing to a map on an easel, he directed the plan.
"You will arrive from the ground in a convoy, sweep and clear the government complexes, and bring out any remaining government workers. You should be in there by 0930 hours. A convoy for transportation will arrive in the central plaza under helicopter and armored cover at 1130 hours, along with reinforcements. You will withdraw with the convoy, and bring the remaining members of the government here. They will capitulate, and without the head, the snake will die."
"Gear up, gentlemen. Let's move out. The less bloody, the better." The man clapped, and the group dispersed.

The Marines rode into Marencep on schedule. They rode into the city in convoy- the primary vehicle used was the flat-bed M1084 Tractor, though MMC-5 Palmarum APCs, a Plated all-Terrain Transport Vehicle, and a small amount of Pylon IFVs. The Marines, in tan helmets and tan boots, manned machine guns, grenade launchers, and miniguns mounted aboard the vehicles. The Pylon's CROWS guns scanned the area, the .50 caliber heavy machine guns occasionally shifting as the convoy pushed through the sparse streets of the over-glorified capital, and into the government's district. It was not a bloody death for the Karadanian government, but it was a loud one.

Shotguns exploded inside the concrete and plaster buildings of the government sector, doors and glass shattering as white-collared men and women were forced outside at gunpoint and handcuffed. The only casualties were about fifteen of the two hundred or so police officers who were still in the area- 7 were killed defending their government to the last. Surprisingly, most of them attempted closer-range surprise attacks- but the special-operations capable unit was able to immediately disarm most of the radical police force who attempted to engage them, or swiftly kill them with knives. The majority threw down their arms at gunpoint, and were summarily handcuffed. A crowd gathered at the blockades, held back by Marines with bayonets, and a barricade of vehicles. The convoy, facing no resistance, arrived on time with an even larger contingent, containing the bulk of the rest of Legio IV and a sizable contingent of M82 Taurus MBTs and IFVs, which rolled down the streets in a show of force. The Karadanian reception was rather enthusiastic, but no jubilant greeting awaited the Legatian forces. Nevertheless, they carried out their duty, and within hours, the city of Marencep flew the Legatian flag from it's highest peak.

BREAKING NEWS:
LEGATIA DECLARES WAR ON KARADANIAN GOVERNMENT, OVERRUNS MARENCEP

Tensions in region continue to rise over the presence of nuclear weaponry

Imperial Marines of the IV Expeditionary Legio stand guard over the
Karasu River, which runs through the outskirts of Marencep.
Imperial officials have declared the capitulation of the Karadanian
government as of 6:00 PM New Rome time.

The Imperial Provinces of Legatia, in a sweeping Senate vote, have declared to denounce and engage in warfare with the Republic of Karadanay after a nuclear missile was launched from within it at a Legatian fleet.

Imperial Marines from the IV Expeditionary Legion stormed the capital of Marencep earlier today and forced the local government's surrender and deconstruction. Relief drops to starving citizens have begun, and the popularity of the Legatians within Marencep have skyrocketed.

"[These Legatians] give us what our government never did. They give us freedom, they give us food. They give us hope for a better future.. [lead by] us, not by [the party," A citizen from Marencep said, according to a war journalist.

An estimated garrison of 150 marines will remain in Marencep after the main force's departure north, where it will clear the way for three legions being sent by the Imperial Army to bolster the Marines already in country. This estimated increase to over 20,000 troops in Karadanay is unprecedented, and will be one of the largest Legatian military maneuvers since the Second Great War.

In coalition with Luepolan, Aestralian, and Chalcian forces operating within the area, the campaign is not expected to take long. Under Legatian authority, a new government is expected to be formed in the next few months.

More to come on this story as it develops.

In other news
Insaeldic-trained batallion humiliated after half of it's forces desert
Imperial service academies report a decline in applications
Nuclear missile launched at Legatian fleet
Luepolan drives brand-new luxury car into lake, dies

* comments

Alencio · 3 hours ago
I hope this doesn't drag out into a prolonged conflict.

620 up · 570 down

k4ppa · 1 hour ago
kill the islamobes ahaha

2 up · 5,400 down

Krebs1243 minutes ago
Declaring war is a little bit overboard, but eh...

500 up · 8 down

Aquilifier1 · 2 hours ago
Push inland and finish them off! Legatia Invicta!

193 up · 27 down

© Legatia Today, 2016
Last edited by Legatia on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chalcia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Chalcia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:17 am

Closing on Karadanay territorial waters
Macharian Sea
CHN Kratos

The CHN Alonaki engaging enemy MiG-21s

The Talos-class guided missile destroyed CHN Kratos sailed at full speed towards Karadanay. The cutting edge Atlas air-defence suite of the destroyer was always active and on constant alert, the AESA and long-range air surveillance radar tracked the full 360 degree spectrum around the destroyer to ensure that no threat neared undetected. However, the Kratos wasn't the only ship of the Chalcian Navy sent to take part in combat operations in Karadanay. Along with the Kratos, the Hydra-class frigates CHN Evelpidon and CHN Averof also left the Kyrenia Naval Base. Shortly after, near the Macharian Island of Paphos, the three ships were joined by the Elli-class frigates CHN Pentemili and CHN Alonaki, the Kavaloudis-class CHN Kavaloudis, CHN Degiannis, CHN Xenos, CHN Simitzopoulos and the CHN Starakis, as well as the Papanikolis-class CHN Papanikolis and CHN Matrozos.

Task Force Prometheus, as the force came to be known, was a force to be reckoned with and was thusly led by one of the most advanced vessels of the Chalcian Navy. Two S-70B-6 Macharian Hawk naval helicopters equipped for anti-submarine warfare missions circled the 20 km area around the fleet, patrolling the waters and dropping sonar buoys to spot potential submarine threats to the task force. Intel reports from Fleet Headquarters suggested that the most advanced torpedo in the inventory of the Karadanay Navy had a range of no more than 18,000 metres, so a 20 kilometre radious would be enough to spot threats before they were even in range.

The advance of Task Force Prometheus has been quiet so far. Rear Admiral Antonis Zervas, the commander of the Task Force and captain of the CHN Kratos, stood on the bridge of his prized vessel, gazing the endless blue of the sea. It was a strangely clear day for this time of the year, and Zervas tried to take advantage of it, enjoying the last minutes of peace and calm he'd have for the next days. He watched the men and women under his command, the proud children of Chalcia and sailors of her Navy, carrying out their tasks with great care and excitement. He knew that the sailors and officers in the Navy felt greater safety than those serving in the Army or the Air Force, even though they served longer, Chalcia's Navy has always been far superior to that of Karadanay, and most doubted if the enemy even had the guts to attack them.

The EW operator in the CIC, a young conscript Chief Petty Officer comfortably sat in his seat, nibbling a chocolate bar. He was interrupted by a loud beep-bee-beep warning coming from his console. He almost choked as he screamed the incoming ASM warning on the intercom.

"Vampire! Vampire! Vampire!" his cry made Zervas snap out of his calm mood, like everyone on the bridge "Bearing two-seven-niner. Three...no, four! Four sea-skimmers. Homing radar parametres suggest Kayak"

As the XO, Commander Pericles Antoniadis, hit the all-stations button on his own console and started barking out orders, Zervas punched the intercom key in front of him "Control to CIC, Phalanx to AAW-auto-hold-fire-off. Arm the RIMs. Lock-on and engage when able."

"Launching chaff" the EW operator reported and a cloud of radar chaff surrounded the ship, as well as others in the Task Force, while the smaller and more agile missile boats also started performing evasive manoeuvres.

"Radar to Control" the air search radar operator's voice sounded on the radio "Four air contacts bearing zero-five-zero, 23 kilometres and closing, angels three. Signature suggests Fishbeds"

Zervas turned to his comms officer, a tall female Lieutenant who was standing near him awaiting for her commander's orders "Tell the Evelpidon and Alonaki to take care of the MiGs. We'll take the Kayaks" he ordered and the officer immedeately left to relay the orders, while he himself ran to CIC.

"RIMs launching" CIC reported as Zervas ran into the room, and multiple RIM-174 Standard ERAM long-range surface-to-air missiles propelled themselves out of the VLS tubes of the Kratos and steered towards their targets, followed shortly after by the RIM-162 ESSM medium-range SAMs from the Hydra-class frigates. To the port right side of the Task Force, the two Elli-class frigates launched their short-range RIM-7M Sea Sparrow SAMs at the incoming MiG-21s in rapid succession.

"Two Kayaks down" the EW operator reported. There was no need to report that the Phalanx CIWS was also engaging. The characteristic "BRRRT" sound of the large six-barrel, air cooled gatling cannon spewing thousands of 20mm depleted uranium shells at the incoming Kh-35s could be heard even from the confined space of the CIC. But this also meant that the missiles were close now. The Mark 45 127mm rapid-fire gun on the front of the ship also opened fire, the dispensed shell cases making a clanking sound as the fell on the deck.

"Kayak down!" EW reported.

"Brace for impact" an officer shouted

There was no impact. The last AShM had been shot down by the Phalanx. Zervas could clearly see that the face of everyone in the room was covered by cold sweat, including himself. There was no sound but the heavy breaths of the officers and sailors, as well as the rolling of the empty shell cases rolling on the deck above them as the ship steered back to its original course. The comms officer slowly walked into CIC. She wasn't wearing the cap of her uniform, and she too, was breathing heavily and had a mixed shock-relief look on her face. She took a deep breath, trying to focus and appear professional in front of the Rear Admiral.

"Sir, the Evelpidon and the Alonaki report that all MiGs were shot down before releasing any ordnance. All radars and sensors report that the area is clear of any hostile assets."

Zervas let out a deep breath and tossed his cap aside as a toothy grin formed on his face.
Last edited by Chalcia on Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aestralius
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Aestralius » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:56 am

Captain Stuart Perry
D. Coy, 6CAR
CSS Paterson, Off the Coast of Karadanay

Several LCU's poured out of the back of the Paterson, Captain Perry awaited in one now, within the ASPIT-2 Infantry Transport he could feel the suspension jumping with every wave they passed, the engine was idling slowly, the engines of the other three ASPIT's in the transport purring at same pitch. With the roar of the LCU's engines reversing, and a grinding crunch as it hit the sand, the ASPIT engines roared too, they were shifted into gear as the front door of the LCU dropped with a groan and a thud.

They lurched forwards and drove out of the craft, the beach itself had already been secured by Aestralian infantry of E. Coy, mobile AA platforms like the Tracked Rapier and Flakpanzer Gepard had dug into sandbanks, prepared to engage any enemy air forces which might dare to move into their range.

This movement involved the 1. Bn/6CAR of mechanized infantry, numbering 800 total men, along with A. Coy of the 3rd Armoured Cavalry Regiment, numbering 30 tanks, and B. Coy of the 9th Combat Support Rgt, with an assortment of air defence, artillery, and materiel support for the infantry. This offensive would clear a corridor through a town which was suspected to hold radical islamic extremists. The rest of the Aestralian forces could then meet up with the Legatian forces advancing towards the Karadanish Capital City.

The town stood in their way, with a population of some 20,000, it was still a rather large suburb, situated on lakeside, it was an important strategic location for them to secure. A small military base could be found in the town, but it had been abandoned by the government in their flight from the town, it would make a useful FOB for the Aestralians to use, and a nearby airfield, while certainly not military grade, would be useful for landing light aircraft and helicopters.

wip

Two Hours

ISideWith
Political Compass

Chalcia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Chalcia » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:32 pm

Meganisi, Chalcian Republic
Meganisi Air Force Base
15th Air Mobile Brigade, Supreme Military Command of the Interior and Islands (ASDEN)

Meganisi, literally meaning "Large Island", was one of the largest islands near the Chalcian-Karadanish maratime borders, seperated by the Karadanish mainland by the only 22 kilometre wide Meganisi Strait. It was always a vital part of both Chalcian defensive and offensive strategic plans against their neighbour and long-time geopolitical rival. The Meganisi AFB, located in the center of the island, was also extremely important, as it was one of the largest air bases near the border. The base was always on high alert and ready to host large numbers of aircraft, larger than just the 345th Fighter-Bomber Squadron "Bow" permamently based there. The island is also home 110th National Guard Mechanized Battalion and the 3rd Battery of the 34th National Guard Artillery Battalion, belonging to the 94th National Guard Higher Command (ADTE).

The island of 17,500 people is mostly flat, though the west and especially the northwest part, is rough and mountainous. The two chief towns are Kastro on the southwest and St. Nikitas on the eastern shore. The town of Kastro - literally meaning "Castle" - took its name from the 18th century fort overlooking the town and the surrounding area. Kastro has a relatively capable port, and the local authorities have been working to upgrade it with a sea wall in recent years. The town and its port is seat of all tried carried on with the mainland. The hillsides of island afford pasture for sheep, and the rolling fields to the east provide good land for growing vegetables and crops. Generally, the island has enjoyed prosperity and progress. Now, however, the drums of war had sounded.

Another pair of F-4E PI2000 landed on the base as 2nd Air Mobile Infantry Battalion, 15th Air Mobile Brigade marched by the runway. These soldiers were some of the best the Chalcian Army had to offer. The 15th, along with the 16th Air Mobile Brigade, were the rapid reaction forces of the ASDEN, and were therefore equipped with some of the latest of weaponry HQ could provide. These would also be the first Chalcian soldiers to ever set foot in Karadanay in years - officially, at least. They were armed with M16A4 rifles and M4A1 carabines, FN MINIMI LMGs and FN MAG GPMGs, as well as Carl Gustav AT launchers and other heavy weaponry. The Support Company's AT Platoon was equipped with the latest 9M133 Kornet-E ATGMs as well. All of the men of the 2nd Air Mobile Battalion were also equipped with night vision equipment, mostly in the form of AN/PVS-7s and AN/PVS-14 monoculars, as well as weapon mounted thermal sights.

The other two Battalions of the 15th Air Mobile Brigade were stationed on the islands of Feres and Makronisos, and while they were also taking part in the operation, they had different landing zones along the enemy coast. 11 CH-47D Chinook tandem rotor heavy-lift helicopters of the Army Aviation awaited for the 2nd Air Mobile Infantry Battalion on the runway. About 500 metres next to runway, sitting in a line on an open field, was the 3rd Battery of the 34th National Guard Artillery Battalion; four M109A3CHEA2 self-propelled howitzers. The island of Meganisi was no more than 24 kilometres away from the Karadanish coast. The Chalcian artillery was equipped with RAP (Rocket-Assisted Projectile) shells, which had a range of 30 kilometres. On the other side of the Meganisi Straight was the small port of Gonen, and that was the target of the 2nd Air Mobile Infantry Battalion and the artillery. As the soldiers began boarding the Chinooks, the SPHs opened fire. The transport helicopters were to be escorted by two AH-64A Apache gunships and one AH-64D Apache Longbow, that were also waiting on the runway next to the Chinooks, while a flight of four F-4E PI2000s would fly top cover.

WIP
Last edited by Chalcia on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents