NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] The Delivery You Ordered

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Ulan-Ata
Envoy

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] The Delivery You Ordered

Postby Ulan-Ata » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:49 am

Description: From an inglorious war on Blackacre that @@NAME@@ has fought a few decades ago, one of the most infamous war criminals, Branko Bandera, is suspected of still residing in @@NAME@@. Now, the international community asks you to deliver Bandera, so he could finally be prosecuted by a War Crimes Tribunal.

Validity: All nations.

[option]"Branko Bandera genuinely needs to pay for the crimes he committed during the war," @@RANDOMNAME@@, a delegate of the planned World Assembly Criminal Tribunal for @@NATION@@, explains to you. "And isn't it in your interests to get rid of these relics of the darkest era of your history, too? You should track him down and deliver him to us, so we can finally deal with him. And maybe you still find more of those rogues."
[effect] the national police forces track down all @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ war criminals they can find and deliver them.

[option]"I do agree Branko Bandera should be prosecuted," Chief of Justice @@RANDOMNAME@@ states. "But it is a national issue we don't need any WCT@@DEMONYMINITIAL@@ for. We can easily deal with this on our own! Just issue an arrest warrant for Bandera and turn @@NAME@@ upside down to find him, get him to a national court and BAM! Problem solved."
[effect] all war criminals are brought to justice at @@CAPITAL@@ courts.

[option]"You aren't gonna get into this, are you?" @@RANDOMNAME@@, your military adviser glances at you while wildly brandishing around. "They are coming up with this NOW – just because they somehow missed it back then, so why even deal with it now? Violetdammit, this was a lot of years ago! We have other things to deal with now, and I'm pretty sure they have, too. They should mind their own business! And it was different times. Bandera's just done what he's been supposed to, he didn't have any choice! Leave it alone. Oh, and what about those from Blackacre? No one ever talks about them!"
[effect] the country keeps hosting its own war criminals while condemning other nations for similar practice.

[option]@@RANDOMNAME@@, an attorney widely infamous for defending the worst criminals of @@NAME@@, steps in. "You know, @@LEADER@@, there is still another option: if Mr. Bandera just doesn't recall having done anything he could be prosecuted for, and no one can prove the opposite, everything must be alright. After such a long time, we could just plausibly deny there have been war crimes. Ever heard of 'Immemorial Prescription'? It just never happened – find me some opposite proof –, and everything's tutti-paletti."
[effect] nobody remembers that @@NAME@@ has ever been in a war with Blackacre.

My first attempt. What do you guys say? Ideas for improvement and/or for possible effects on the stats?
Would this even be worth submitting? xDD

A Humanist Science
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Science » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:00 am

How similar is this to #349? Does this issue just reverse the flow of suspected war criminals?

EDIT: no, wait, #349 also calls for extradition from @@NAME@@, although its description implies that the accused are still in the process of requesting citizenship/asylum. So #349 is arguably about blocking them coming in, while this draft is about blocking them going out.

Still extremely similar, if not the same, in any case.
Last edited by A Humanist Science on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ulan-Ata
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulan-Ata » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:12 am

A Humanist Science wrote:How similar is this to #349? Does this issue just reverse the flow of suspected war criminals?

EDIT: no, wait, #349 also calls for extradition from @@NAME@@, although its description implies that the accused are still in the process of requesting citizenship/asylum. So #349 is arguably about blocking them coming in, while this draft is about blocking them going out.

Still extremely similar, if not the same, in any case.

Well yes, they are similar, but not the same. in #349, it's about foreign war criminals, while this one's dealing with @@NAME@@'s one, so your own.

If it helps you getting the point - my draft is basically the Mladić/Karadžić issue, from Serbia's point of view ^^

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:14 pm

A few decades ago?
How many exactly?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:04 am

This is a very well written issue, but I agree with AHS on this one: the overlap is too great.

I can't see us using this one for that reason, but I look forward to seeing more of you as a writer.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Ulan-Ata
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulan-Ata » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:09 am

Australian Republic wrote:A few decades ago?
How many exactly?

I did not specify this for intention - to not have it too obviously close to the ex YU issue ^^
The draft is intended to not prescribe your nation a specified part of history (since, of course, each nation has its own), but to assume that every nation has a skeleton in her closet. :) (yes, I am aware that some nations might not have such an event in their recent history - but you can't please everyone, can you?)
We are talking about approximately 20 to 30 years, a span short enough so a larger part of the population still remembers it, but on the other hand long enough so there is a young generation that does not. Maybe this did not shine through enough ...

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:This is a very well written issue, but I agree with AHS on this one: the overlap is too great.

I can't see us using this one for that reason, but I look forward to seeing more of you as a writer.

Okay, if the "just a different perspective" thing cannot fix this at all, let's account this a 'nice try' ... Thank you anyways! :)

Return to Got Issues?