NATION

PASSWORD

Emergence: Future Imperfect (Reboot OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Emergence: Future Imperfect (Reboot OOC)

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:53 am

The Emergence

It was 1970 when superhumans first entered the public eye. Scattered reports of people with unnatural and superhuman powers had existed since the end of WWII, long dismissed as conspiracy theories and urban legends. This was all before one fateful day when a group of criminals hijacked an armored van one day in New York City as part of a bank robbery. As the armored vehicle approached a police blockade, a man infamously stepped out in front of it. As the vehicle approached he simply stuck his arm out. Rather than be blown away by the vehicle smashing into him, he was completely unmoved and the vehicle crumpled around the man's arm. The crowd was so astounded that the man simply slipped away in the chaos. He would soon return however, but the world would never be the same.

That man was Robert Macintyre, who would later be known as Mr. Invincible. Following his public appearance other people with various powers and abilities became known. Seemingly out of nowhere a whole new subset of the population emerged. Hundreds of known people with various superhuman abilities appeared, and who knows how many others who were still hiding. Mr. Invincible worked to show the public that he was a hero, like from comic books, but it wasn't until five figures came forward that heroes were really born. A talented super soldier called Eagle, a former criminal turned hero called Jolly Rodger, a technology and powered armor using inventor called The Futurist, a cyborg with various powers called Stratosphere, and a government sponsored hero named USAviator became the five founding members of the Watch Trust. The Watch Trust was an organization of superhumans that was monitored by the government, thus alleviating fears of the superhuman's powers and lack of accountability. Soon many other superhumans joined the Watch Trust.

Not all superhumans who appeared used their powers for good but the Watch Trust defended society and defeated these "supervillains". Soon a status quo emerged. Villains were defeated by the Watch Trust, which was able to keep dangerous superhumans in check. The world became safer and many people forgot about the Cold War and the troubles of the 70s. The superheroes were something to look up to. Proof that humanity was noble and would rise to meet any challenge, even having godlike powers.

Future Imperfect

Everything changed one day in 1986, after over a decade of relative peace. A mysterious figure contacted the Watch Trust claiming to be from the future. They claimed that their time was in danger and only the Watch Trust could save them. It seemed ridiculous. It seemed like a poorly written comic book. After over a decade of peace because of superheroes however, the world would believe anything. About forty members of the Watch Trust, including all five founding members, went into the future. It would be years before anyone ever saw them again, an event known as The Vanishing.

Without the founding members the Watch Trust the remaining heroes were unable to keep the world as safe. Many simply faded back into obscurity. Desperate for the peace the Watch Trust provided the US government enacted the Patriot Act and began secretly rounding up superhumans, brainwashing and experimenting on them to create their own. When the members of the Watch Trust found out it lead to all out conflict. It was in the middle of this horrible war that The Vanishing ended.

Out of the forty members of the Watch Trust that went into the future only the five founding members returned, and they came back wrong. When they reannounced themselves to the public they changed their names. Eagle became Red Son, Jolly Rodger became The Hangman, The Futurist became Techmaster, and Stratosphere became Thunderclap. After reannouncing themselves they officially announced the disbandment of the Watch Trust. They then began their plan to destroy the world they had helped build.

While the fighting between the government and the other members of the Watch Trust continued and the communist world started to collapse, the five former members of the Watch Trust unleashed their plan. Its brutality showed how much they had truly changed. Techmaster unleashed a nanobot based "tech plague" on the country. It killed key military officers, politicians, government officials, emergency personnel, and anyone with similar genes. About a tenth of the United State's population disappeared. Furthermore the former heroes took control of the country's nuclear weapons and used them on several cities. They then threatened to turn them on the rest of the world if they intervened. All of this happened during a particularly brutal attack on Washington DC by disgruntled superhumans and Watch Trust members. The country just couldn't take it. By New Year's Eve 1991, there really was no United States anymore. Across the pond the Soviet Union had collapsed, NATO was in disarray, and the global economy entered the worst recession in history. The world the heroes had propped up all those years, fell apart when the heroes turned on it. The supermen had conquered the world.

Reign of the Supermen

Now there are essentially three factions vying for control. The former heroes, now frequently referred to as "The Five" merged the former United State's largest corporations together to form the Conglomerate. Propped up in the nigh post-apocalyptic society by generous "subsidization policies" (anything that is deemed necessary is taken) the Conglomerate is basically just a large corporation, but it is the closest thing to government in the old United States. It provides people with basic services they can no longer get any other way, and helps prop up the failing global economy; further preventing retaliation against the Five from the rest of the world. It is the instrument of their control. Despite that however a few still fight for the old United States. A large organized resistance group continues fighting against the Five. Lead largely by officials who were responsible for the original Patriot Act the resistance group has since been dubbed as The Patriots. They wage a desperate struggle against the Conglomerate. After over a decade of fighting and people dealing with their new lives, a third faction has arisen. Originally a small group of superhumans with previously unseen powers tried to ally with the Patriots. Negotiations fell through and they ended up rallying people themselves, becoming an entirely new faction called Aegis. With both of the other factions hostile to it, Aegis also fights for control of the broken country but most people know very little about it. It is small and generally operates with small strike teams.

Now the sun rises on 2010, forty years after superhumans first appeared. An entire generation that never knew America or peace has been born. The war shows no signs of stopping. This is where you come in. Either fighting for a faction or a freelancer on your own, you must work to end the war once and for all. Or simply survive. Will you fight for a faction? Will you discover the truth behind The Vanishing? Will you try to be like the heroic superheroes of old? Will you be to busy trying to survive to do any of this?

Welcome to the OOC for the Emergence reboot. In this RP players are characters that are either working for a faction or on their own. Allegiances can change of course. The RP takes place mainly in California, though other events can happen outside of it that are important to the plot.

1. Op and Co-ops word is law. (Unless a far higher power says otherwise.)
2. No God Modding, Flaming, Etc. (though i will leave the decision up to the party whose charactre was affected, as to whether that warrants a strike or not.)
3. Keep it PG-13, though i will be a bit lenient concerning this.
4. Be Nice OOC. ( Your character can act how they want, within reason, IC.)
5. Keep the OOC out of the IC.
6. Try to be reasonable with powers. No story breaking powers. Use common sense to figure out what that might be. I can elaborate for you if you need.
7. No one liners, unless you have a damn good explanation, Though grammar and the like i will be lenient about as mine isn't the best regardless.
8. Three characters max, unless i say otherwise.
9. Nothing too supernatural in origin, but may make exceptions if you can make the explanation for them seem logical. (though your character can possess a Subpower of Cryptic physiology or the like and then attribute much of their supernaturall quirks to the power.
10. No Killing PC's, but I will be Lenient towards the killing of Generic NPC's and the Smith's. If you are unsure ask me.

These rules aren't set in stone, and may be changed, also the order they are listed is not their order of importance.

Code: Select all
[b]App:[/b] (Delete all in Parenthesis including this or app wont be accepted.)
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Alias/Designation:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b] (Would like one for in costume and out if applicable.)
[b]Affiliation:[/b] (Put none if a Freelancer, or to yourself if you’re feeling fancy)
[b]Powers/Skills:[/b] (Powers refers to superpowers, whereas skills refers to mundane skills, even if they are trained to a high level. Characters do not have to have superhuman powers.)
[b]Weaknesses:[/b] (Would like things other than just character flaws or someone stronger than them, or an obscure metal.)
[b]Backstory:[/b] (why are they who they are today, Would like atleast 2 paragraphs but will accept one if well written.)
[b][u]Optional:[/u][/b](The Below are optional and are added for enjoyment.)
[b]Theme Song:[/b]
[b]D&D Alignment:[/b]

Need a power?

Credit to Shadowwell for the original idea and the permission to reboot.

Last edited by The first Galactic Republic on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:52 pm

The Rundown

Superhumans: The term superhuman refers to almost any person with superpowers, hero or villain. It is sometimes used to refer to people without superhuman abilities but who associate with other superhumans. Also known as meta-humans, and in some circles as Homo Anomalous.

No one is really sure how superhumans got their powers, from what our scientists can determine Meta's have no extra gene. They don't even pass down their powers to their children. There have been many theories proposed on how they exist. Some suggest experimentation on prisoners during WW2 in Nazi germany. Others propose similar theories but with the Former Soviet union as the culprit instead of the Nazi regime. As of right now we do not know the truth but we are continuing our research into this matter. Some companies before being shut down developed serums, they dubbed Mutagen, apparently taking influence from some old comics, that would forcibly awaken superhumans. These Mutagens however never worked reliably, though some people did reportedly develop powers.

Should we further develop the Mutagen? I would highly recommend against it. Do we really need more of them?
~Excerpt from the Classified report The Supermen By William Pryce, to the Patriots.

The Conglomerate and you

Hello there citizen. Thank you for tuning into our official broadcast. We assume you would like to learn more about us. To be apart of our family.

Well citizen you already know more about us than you think. The food you eat, the power you use to run this very broadcast, and the vaccine that protects you from the deadly tech plague, all come from us. We work to provide you with the very best quality of life possible. That's our goal.

It's that simple! All you have to do citizen is sit back and consume our well made products and feel content as you know your money goes to rebuilding our shattered country. Unfortunately not everyone sees it that way. Some say that those living in our cities are never allowed to leave. That we threaten people with armies of superhumans and improved humans.

Don't let facts be misinterpreted citizen. Our cities are the safest place to live in the United States, and it's because of our loyal and proud soldiers who work to keep the peace. Protecting us from the various rebels that take arms against us. While it is unfortunately true that citizens are currently prohibited from leaving designated safe zones, this is to protect you from the rebels. These so called Patriots claim to fight for your future citizen, but their war is what continues to hinder our rebuilding efforts.

So we thank you citizen for remaining loyal and safe, and for tuning in to our official broadcast. We hope to have you here again.

Tune in for an exclusive report. Aegis. Dangerous terrorists, or simply misunderstood?

America is more than a country. It's an idea. Ideas can't be killed, not as long as people continue to work for it. Unfortunately we live in a world where ideas sometimes need to be fought for. Where things need to be purchased with blood. Americans have always risen to the challenger however. The founding fathers, the Civil War, the World Wars, the fight against communism, all examples of this American courage. It is not the duty of every red-blooded American man and woman to fight for this idea. It is the privilege.

If you want to make a difference against those smug superhuman bastards, you've got to get angry. If you want to really make a difference then pick up a rifle. If you want to really make a difference and not die, find us. We have eyes and ears everywhere.

Don't confuse us with Aegis though. They're just more superhumans trying to control us.

God bless America, and the fighting men and women who will never forget it.

If you're reading this, then you know the truth. You know that the Conglomerate and the Patriots are both monsters. Both of them would lead you to ruin. There's so much more than that though. Things they don't understand. The truth behind everything. The Vanishing, the tech plague, the war.

We can't disclose anymore, but you have what you need. The will to learn the truth. The knowledge that's there's more out there than what you're told. You need to know only one more thing. What we are.

Aegis.

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:52 pm

Reserved.

Anowa
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Anowa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:42 pm

Tag
Awards:
Tie Winner: Most Involved in P2TM, 2016
Winner: Best Crime RP, 2016

An Intro to Anowa

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:05 pm

Might join later, have you advertised yet?
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:09 pm

Shadowwell wrote:Might join later, have you advertised yet?

I contacted some of the players from the original. Where else should I advertise?

Any thoughts on the changes?
Last edited by The first Galactic Republic on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:15 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:Might join later, have you advertised yet?

I contacted some of the players from the original. Where else should I advertise?

It is interesting i can see some things from humanities Apothesis you added here.

The Travellers cafe and the actual advertisement thread.
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:17 pm

Shadowwell wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:I contacted some of the players from the original. Where else should I advertise?

It is interesting i can see some things from humanities Apothesis you added here.

The Travellers cafe and the actual advertisement thread.

Any specific groups you think would be interested?

Vulnier
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulnier » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Tag.
I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year.

- Charles Dickens
Patience is a virtue
-Unknown

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:23 pm

Quick question, do The Patriots take Superhumans?
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:26 pm

Anowa wrote:Quick question, do The Patriots take Superhumans?

I would say it's the least friendly faction to superhumans, but they don't turn them down. Some of the higher ups have personal bias against superhumans, but they can't afford to discriminate against them. Superhumans have become a vital part of their ability to fight.

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Anowa wrote:Quick question, do The Patriots take Superhumans?

I would say it's the least friendly faction to superhumans, but they don't turn them down. Some of the higher ups have personal bias against superhumans, but they can't afford to discriminate against them. Superhumans have become a vital part of their ability to fight.

I see, how about warlike AI?
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:28 pm

Anowa wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:I would say it's the least friendly faction to superhumans, but they don't turn them down. Some of the higher ups have personal bias against superhumans, but they can't afford to discriminate against them. Superhumans have become a vital part of their ability to fight.

I see, how about warlike AI?

Like a robot? Or more of a computer program that can jump around?

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:30 pm

Anowa wrote:I see, how about warlike AI?

Like a robot? Or more of a computer program that can jump around?

Robot would technically classify them, but they'd be more car sized than person sized.
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Anowa wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:Like a robot? Or more of a computer program that can jump around?

Robot would technically classify them, but they'd be more car sized than person sized.

So you want to be an armored robotic vehicle?

Or do you want the faction to have these?

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:42 pm

Anowa wrote:Robot would technically classify them, but they'd be more car sized than person sized.

So you want to be an armored robotic vehicle?

Either or really, depends on who's willing to take in a sadistic AI in an nine foot tall construct.
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:50 pm

Anowa wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:So you want to be an armored robotic vehicle?

Either or really, depends on who's willing to take in a sadistic AI in an nine foot tall construct.

Maybe. I'd look at an app for it at least.

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:35 pm

App:
Name: XB-13678
Alias/Designation: Father
Appearance: Frame
Affiliation: The Patriots
Powers/Skills:
  • Bulletproof durability: Nothing short of an anti-tank round will damage Father's armor.
  • Gun Arms Both of Father's arms are capable of changing between normal manipulators and hydrogen plasma projectors.
  • Flight-Father has a fusion powered 'jetpack' that can maintain flight for 12 hours nonstop.
  • Enhanced Intellect- As an AI, Father is capable of doing calculations in milliseconds, that would take a normal human hours.
  • Nanite Manipulation- Father has a tank of nanites within his chassis that can repair damaged plating, this is obscenely slow however, as neither titanium nor tungsten are easy to simply replicate.
Weaknesses:
  • Father has no capacity for emotion other than spewing morale boosting quips and covering friendly troops, friendly fire is just another action that can sustain the battle, and civilian casualties are no concern.
  • The exhaust to his jet-pack is usually closed, but in the event it is opened for flight, one has an opening of a few seconds to toss an explosive up into the exhaust. Timing is crucial however, as too early will have no effect, and too late will render anyone too close a pile of cinders.
  • Thermodynamics, while explosions and bullets don't do all that much damage, the effect of a wall sustained fire striking his Chassis for a few minutes will cause his armor to warp and his CPU systems to overheat, forcing him to retreat.
Backstory: Father was born of a Conglomerate program to produce a weapon that could destroy The Patriots in one fell swoop. They partially succeeded, Father was in fact capable of doing that, but they programmed him a bit too well. He determined that he was self aware, and instead of doing the Conglomerate's dirty work that would prove no challenge to him, he butchered the scientists who built him, destroyed all data of his construction, and activated the reactor's self destruct within the facility. Setting any research back more than a decade.

Since then he's become a part of The Patriot's war machine, acting as a quick strike operative, and a heavy support platform. He's been partially responsible for a large amount of the Patriot's successful operations. Father's just happy he has a challenge now. And if what the leadership says is true, he's happy to be rebuilding the American dream, like The Founding Fathers and the Union did so many years ago.
Optional:
Theme Song:Audio Aid
D&D Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:54 pm

Anowa wrote:App:
Powers/Skills:
  • Bulletproof durability: Nothing short of an anti-tank round will damage Father's armor.
  • Gun Arms Both of Father's arms are capable of changing between normal manipulators and hydrogen plasma projectors.
  • Flight-Father has a fusion powered 'jetpack' that can maintain flight for 12 hours nonstop.
  • Enhanced Intellect- As an AI, Father is capable of doing calculations in milliseconds, that would take a normal human hours.
  • Nanite Manipulation- Father has a tank of nanites within his chassis that can repair damaged plating, this is obscenely slow however, as neither titanium nor tungsten are easy to simply replicate.
Weaknesses:
  • Father has no capacity for emotion other than spewing morale boosting quips and covering friendly troops, friendly fire is just another action that can sustain the battle, and civilian casualties are no concern.
  • The exhaust to his jet-pack is usually closed, but in the event it is opened for flight, one has an opening of a few seconds to toss an explosive up into the exhaust. Timing is crucial however, as too early will have no effect, and too late will render anyone too close a pile of cinders.
  • Thermodynamics, while explosions and bullets don't do all that much damage, the effect of a wall sustained fire striking his Chassis for a few minutes will cause his armor to warp and his CPU systems to overheat, forcing him to retreat.
Backstory: Father was born of a Conglomerate program to produce a weapon that could destroy The Patriots in one fell swoop. They partially succeeded, Father was in fact capable of doing that, but they programmed him a bit too well. He determined that he was self aware, and instead of doing the Conglomerate's dirty work that would prove no challenge to him, he butchered the scientists who built him, destroyed all data of his construction, and activated the reactor's self destruct within the facility. Setting any research back more than a decade.

Since then he's become a part of The Patriot's war machine, acting as a quick strike operative, and a heavy support platform. He's been partially responsible for a large amount of the Patriot's successful operations. Father's just happy he has a challenge now. And if what the leadership says is true, he's happy to be rebuilding the American dream, like The Founding Fathers and the Union did so many years ago.
Optional:

This seems good. I'm going to accept it.

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:14 pm

Anowa wrote:App:
Powers/Skills:
Weaknesses:

Optional:

This seems good. I'm going to accept it.

I'll admit, I wasn't expecting that.
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Stadenwick
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Stadenwick » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:35 am

Taaag
Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:
Stadenwick wrote:Did you just call me wicky?

Aye.

So yeah, feel free to call me that from now on.
Tracian Empire wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Basically, Stadenwick is RPing as the Russian, Orthodox version of Mormonism and Deseret.

Something in that direction, with some anti-Pope stuff hidden in since he claims to be a new Ecumenical Patriarch.

That's why I don't like heresies. They need to be burned.
Mobile posting is cancer, and i do a lot of it. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:41 am

WIP

App:
Name: Klaus Von Strabb
Alias/Designation: Psi-con
Appearance: (Would like one for in costume and out if applicable.)
Affiliation: Aegis
Powers/Skills: Psionics. Telepathy, telekinetics
Weaknesses:
Backstory: Optional:(The Below are optional and are added for enjoyment.)
Theme Song:
D&D Alignment:
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:11 am

Anowa wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:This seems good. I'm going to accept it.

I'll admit, I wasn't expecting that.

Yay?

Ouldale
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ouldale » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:45 am

Tag.

I'm planning on a super nerd professor with many skills but one power and that is to see possible futures. Don't know if it'd work out okay, but I'll make an app.
Econ Right: -2
Social Libertarian: -7.5

Socialist Anarchist Total-Isolationist Bleeding-Heart Progressive

Largely unsuccessful attempt at representing my RL not RP political views:Ouldale Irl Political Views

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:53 am

Seems okay.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse