NATION

PASSWORD

Building a military

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Free Mountains of America
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Building a military

Postby Free Mountains of America » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:06 am

I recently started playing nation states and am wanting to build a military. Is it purely an RP army or is it a gameplay mechanic I am missing. I know I need to tailor my military to be plausible based on natural resources and manpower, but how do I go about doing it? Do i use my factbook and start there or what?

Markimoomoo
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Markimoomoo » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:11 am

Free Mountains of America wrote:I recently started playing nation states and am wanting to build a military. Is it purely an RP army or is it a gameplay mechanic I am missing. I know I need to tailor my military to be plausible based on natural resources and manpower, but how do I go about doing it? Do i use my factbook and start there or what?

Your military size can be found on the internet if you type NSEconomy. However, you don't have to use the info supplied there. It is purely for RPing. To be honest, I just went with NSEconomy, and it goes with calculations, so it doesn't factor in where your nation is. Hope this is any help :)
There is almost nothing here

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Mountains of America » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:15 am

That does help. I figure warfare between nations is purely RP and take into account all normal factors in war. Although where in that site does it give my army size?
Last edited by Free Mountains of America on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greater Hudian Republic
Envoy

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greater Hudian Republic » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:18 am

Free Mountains of America wrote:I recently started playing nation states and am wanting to build a military. Is it purely an RP army or is it a gameplay mechanic I am missing. I know I need to tailor my military to be plausible based on natural resources and manpower, but how do I go about doing it? Do i use my factbook and start there or what?

It is your choice. A good few people use NSEconomy stats and yes, for a while they are useful but if you go to realism only regions, you may need to cap it to adhere to IRL stanards. Then again you can make your army whatever.
THE GREATER HUDIAN REPUBLIC

I'm Bangladeshi and I love it

Markimoomoo
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Markimoomoo » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:16 am

Free Mountains of America wrote:That does help. I figure warfare between nations is purely RP and take into account all normal factors in war. Although where in that site does it give my army size?

In the top right, search up your nation name. After you have searched it up, look at the second box from the top left. You will see your population demographics. There will be a military & reserves line, with the numbers next to it. You don't have to play by what NSEconomy says, but you can if you want.
There is almost nothing here

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Mountains of America » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:37 am

all i see is a total population box. with 18million people. under domestic statistics
Last edited by Free Mountains of America on Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Mountains of America » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:02 am

Perhaps becuase my country is new it doesnt have an army to speak of?

Kyraina
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 12, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kyraina » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:04 am

Free Mountains of America wrote:Perhaps becuase my country is new it doesnt have an army to speak of?

It depends on how much defense spending you have. If its 0% then you don't have a military, 1% and higher you do have a military
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is suppose to go here?

Greater Hudian Republic
Envoy

Postby Greater Hudian Republic » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:06 am

Free Mountains of America wrote:Perhaps becuase my country is new it doesnt have an army to speak of?

I would honestly suggest to make your own numbers. NS pops usually aren't used in RPs.

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Mountains of America » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:16 am

That works, I will mqake my own. 150k sounds like a good start point

Greater Hudian Republic
Envoy

Postby Greater Hudian Republic » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:28 am

Free Mountains of America wrote:That works, I will mqake my own. 150k sounds like a good start point

Sounds excellent. If you want to do a short practice RP, just TG me. I can do a non-canon sort of war with you just to show how it rolls.

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Mountains of America » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:47 am

Sweet, I will TG you sometime for it. Probably will be wednesday or tuesday next week

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Mountains of America » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:47 am

I know future tech is not allowed, there isnt a problem with me using what is essentially US Vietnam era weaponry is there? Like I can use older tech, but not future tech, as in it caps off at what currently in use in 2016

Bedetopia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bedetopia » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:33 am

Free Mountains of America wrote:I know future tech is not allowed, there isnt a problem with me using what is essentially US Vietnam era weaponry is there? Like I can use older tech, but not future tech, as in it caps off at what currently in use in 2016

Who told you that? You can choose any tech level you want for your nation, but it's true that many RPs limit the allowed levels, with modern tech being the most common.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:36 am

The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:49 am

Since this is devolving into RP chat, I am locking this thread and suggest you start a thread in one of the roleplay forums.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay