NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Environmental Warfare Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Draconae
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 14, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Draconae » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:17 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:OOC: Accurate, but grossly misleading and under this resolution, their introduction would not constitute environmental warfare as they were no intended to cause ecological harm.

And as I have argued, if intent is all that matters, this resolution is toothless, as any nation can contrive reasons for introduction of an invasive species and not be in violation of this resolution because they were not introducing the species for the purpose of destroying the environment.

OOC: What everyone seems to be forgetting is that invasive species have to cause "extreme harm" to the ecosystem for their introduction to be considered environmental warfare, or even for them to be considered invasive species at all. Therefore, horses would not be an invasive species except in the most extreme of contexts.
General Centrist
Economic Left/Right: -1.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.49
Draconae is a WA Nation
Ambassador: Marcus Valorus
Author: Internet Neutrality Act
Tech Level: MT + ~30 years (Tier 6.5)
Magic: None (Level 0)
Influence: Regional Power (Type 5)

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:36 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:And as I have argued, if intent is all that matters, this resolution is toothless, as any nation can contrive reasons for introduction of an invasive species and not be in violation of this resolution because they were not introducing the species for the purpose of destroying the environment.

OOC: That's not true, sorry. No serious player has ever really recognized that argument in any of its iterations (and there have been many). And even if they did, willful misinterpretation is a violation of GAR#2. "Sorry, when I introduced this predator species into your ecosystem without your government's permission, it wasn't to disrupt the ecosystem, I swear." Really? Be more creative than that, please.

"Sorry, when I introduced this invasive species [of horses] into your ecosystem without your government's permission, it wasn't to disrupt the ecosystem, I swear."

Why is the above argument considered acceptable by you while to one you listed is not?
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:05 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:OOC: That's not true, sorry. No serious player has ever really recognized that argument in any of its iterations (and there have been many). And even if they did, willful misinterpretation is a violation of GAR#2. "Sorry, when I introduced this predator species into your ecosystem without your government's permission, it wasn't to disrupt the ecosystem, I swear." Really? Be more creative than that, please.

"Sorry, when I introduced this invasive species [of horses] into your ecosystem without your government's permission, it wasn't to disrupt the ecosystem, I swear."

Why is the above argument considered acceptable by you while to one you listed is not?

OOC: You're seriously going to make the argument that horses were brought in by the Europeans with the express purpose of conducting environmental warfare and not because they were extremely effective in killing infantry? That's so far removed from the realm of reality that you should feel dirty for making such a disingenuous argument.

Edit: On second that, I'm done here. You aren't arguing in good faith, and this resolution has already passed, so I don't see any point in continuing this root canal of an argument.
Last edited by Sciongrad on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:11 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

OOC: You're seriously going to make the argument that horses were brought in by the Europeans with the express purpose of conducting environmental warfare and not because they were extremely effective in killing infantry? That's so far removed from the realm of reality that you should feel dirty for making such a disingenuous argument.

You're seriously going to make the argument that our fungal weapons were brought in by our military with the express purpose of conducting environmental warfare and not because they were extremely effective in killing infantry? That's so far removed from the realm of reality that you should feel dirty for making such a disingenuous argument

Edit: On second that, I'm done here. You aren't arguing in good faith, and this resolution has already passed, so I don't see any point in continuing this root canal of an argument.

You will in the repeal thread. 8)
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:18 pm

Sciongrad wrote:You're seriously going to make the argument that horses were brought in by the Europeans with the express purpose of conducting environmental warfare and not because they were extremely effective in killing infantry?

Well, I mean, if that argument is invaid, then this resolution is toothless and arguments could be construed to that end, since nations can always find a different reason to say that something was done.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

West Angola
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby West Angola » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:29 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Well, I mean, if that argument is invaid, then this resolution is toothless and arguments could be construed to that end, since nations can always find a different reason to say that something was done.

"Horses do not cause extreme environmental damage. Excidium Planetis and I went around about this; he cited evidence that wild horses erode grasses, which I pointed out only occurs with repeated running over the same area. So the only way horses constitute an invasive species is if they remain the same area for months, which is pretty much completely contradictory to the idea of cavalry as a mobile offensive force."

"Furthermore, intent goes hand in hand with vehicle. Ifnyour choice of weapon kills enemy infantry via extreme environmental damage, i.e. hijacking native wildlife's nervous systems to induce changed behavior, then you can't argue you didn't intend to cause environmental damage when you introduced the species."
Last edited by West Angola on Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.95
Fourth Place: Cup of Harmony 59; Runner-Up: Cup of Harmony 55; Champion: Cup of Harmony 57

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:58 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:You're seriously going to make the argument that horses were brought in by the Europeans with the express purpose of conducting environmental warfare and not because they were extremely effective in killing infantry?

Well, I mean, if that argument is invaid, then this resolution is toothless and arguments could be construed to that end, since nations can always find a different reason to say that something was done.

OOC: Not really, because intent is not nearly as nebulous as EP is making it out to be. Europeans so obviously did not bring horses here with the intent of doing extreme environmental damage. I am almost never persuaded by appeals to the difficulty of proving intent.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

World Assembly Improvement Foundation
Attaché

Founded: Jun 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby World Assembly Improvement Foundation » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:04 pm

A belated congratulations to the author for passing a WA resolution. Keep up the good work.
Disclaimer: Posts do not represent anything other than the unofficial stance of the WA Improvement Foundation. Posts are not meant to be regarded as the opinion of NationStates, Administration, or Moderation.

Puppet of Alicorn Princess Twilight Sparkle.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:10 am

OOC: Grats for passing it. Missed the vote due to vacation.

World Assembly Improvement Foundation wrote:A belated congratulations to the author for passing a WA resolution. Keep up the good work.

Oh, you're posting on that account again? Good.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives